The Quest Begins (Part 1) ~ Mur`Al`Din

Moderator: Mods

Ashari
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

The Quest Begins (Part 1) ~ Mur`Al`Din

Post by Ashari »

Mur`Al`Din awoke to the early morning rays of sun shining in through the window upon his pillow and pervasively into his eyes. "GET UP MUR!!" There was a loud pounding on the door of his room. It took him a few flickers to recycle through the events of the prior day and what had lead him to the point of not only being in a nice warm bed, but also in the company of a treasure hunter that was on his way to riches... treasure hunter. Ja`Kama was the one at the door and was already tiring of knocking. "Come on giant - just wake up!" Mur had locked himself inside the room the prior night and as requested: Ja`Kama was attempting to wake the exhausted traveller.

"We are going to be late to meet the archers." The handsome human called into the large bedchamber.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Mur'Ath

Post by Mur'Ath »

Half Giant jumped from his bed. He staggered as he will fall down, but that was only for a second, next moment Mur was in his trousers opening door of his room.
" COme in my friend..." he addressed to Ja'Kama, "...I'll be ready in no time.", with that said Mur went to wash his face. He took his equipement and made himself ready for actioun. This is going to be a long day. Mur was thinking for himself turning his head toward his new friend:
"All right my friend I am ready let's go and meet those archers." half giant said with seriouse voice.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"I didn't mean to wake you so suddenly, but I've been pounding on that door for an age!" Ja`Kama said jokingly. "All fun aside, we must get moving before we loose our archers. There is a treasure awaiting us." He grinned and walked out into the hall where a large bag and a smaller bag sat leaning against the wall. "You take that big one, has most of our supplies in it." Reaching down he threw the smaller satchel, which was still more than big enough for his small body, upon his back.

"Let us embark my large friend." And with that the two set out. It didn't take long before they were at the meeting place they had decided upon with the elves. Leaning against a wall Ja`Kama relaxed by putting down what he carried. "I wonder what is taking them so long..." He murmered as he looked across the people who wandered this way and that. "So what do you plan to do with the money once you get it Mur?"
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Mur'Ath

Post by Mur'Ath »

Mura'Al"Din stood next to Ja'Kama. Copper disks of his Jazeraint armor were glittering on Amun Rah's hot Sun. His head were covered by his scarf though his face were not covered at this point. He lookd toward man then in the crawd, it looked as he looked for the Elves and at same time he addressed to his new friend: " What I am going to do with gold? I have my dreams man...", then he turned his face and looked streight into Ja'Kama's eyes "... did you ever heard of Great Lizards that my people ride into battles?? Of course you've heard.". Half giant continued without waiting for an answer: " You see, they are very rare and expensive, I mean to own one... But, let us first put our hands on that wealth, I don't like to plan in front in that way I wan't be disappointed!", with that said Mur eyes wandered toward people on the street trying to see if Elves are comeing!!
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"So then you look for a beast? Are these creatures easily trained or are they ferocious like the dragons of Terra Incognita?" Ja`Kama asked with curiosity,

He also turned his attention to the street and the people milling around looking for the best deals. Within a few burns Mur would have been able to spot the elves. Due to Ja`Kama's shorter stature he couldn't quite see them through the crowd. The three elves walked in unison at a fast pace and arrived at the face of the pair within another burn after Mur saw them. The leader of the group bowed at the midsection and the other two followed. "Greetings friends. Are you prepared for the journey?" The elvish men now carried backpacks that appeared heavily stocked with what they deamed to be necesities.

Ja`Kama bowed in return and motioned for Mur to do the same. "We are quite prepared friend. Let us depart before we lose daylight." With that simple sentiment the group set off through the market place and headed towards the gates.

For many marks they travelled the rough sand's of Amun Rah. Ja`Kama stopped a few times to check his map and make sure they were going in the right direction. The five walked due south through the sand dunes and once night began to fall Ja`Kama stopped again. "Alright boys, this is excellent distance for one day. Did better than I thought we would. Let's set up camp before it gets too dark and cold."

He dropped his pack onto the soft sand and the elves did the same. They had their camp set up in flickers it seemed. Mur and Ja`Kama were still busily getting their tent set up. "So, enjoying your time back out in the sands friend?"
Mur'Ath

Post by Mur'Ath »

"Oh, yes very much so. That big City just smelled wrong. Now, now I feel like I'm at home, like...I belong here." Mur's tone of voice was serious
with sound of sadness in it. Halfgiand finished with setting tent in silence thinking for himself, he tried to think about tusk at hand and he wanted to ask more questions. His new friend didn't tell them how many day it should take them to reach the treasure, but he was unable to concentrate on that, his thoughts drifted toward Elves.
Strange folks they were in HalfGiants eyes. They looked so fragile but yet they managed too walk as fast as Mur through desert and they didn't complain in this harsh enviroment, as they belonged here. Mur remembered that old stories that Elders of his people was passing on young ones when he was a child was connecting them with very existence of his people. And also one story interested him in particular, one about warriors from Kislovan and big battle and how Divinity that he worshiped have chosen to reveal itself to "chosen one"; One vision our ancestor had during the Great Battle. The vision extended to 40 more warriors of our people and 40 high elves from a contigent of Kislovan warriors...
as soon as this thoughts "settlet down" in his mind, he turned toward Elves: " If you don't mind, where are you comeing from..." Mur asked them and without waiting for an answer he imidiatelly asked another : "...are you maybe from Kislovan?"
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

The leader of the elves looked at Mur and was startled by his sudden question, though he took it in stride as he smiled at the half-giant. "Ah, yes. My cousins and I hail from our mother land of Kislovan, but why do you ask, large friend? I didn't realize that Giants concerned themselves with the lands of elves." The elf continued to braid his hair as he had been before Mur began his questions. He took his time in this, and all things, as many of the elves did. They didn't have to worry about the passage of time as other races did due to their longevity.
Mur'Ath

Post by Mur'Ath »

"Not all of us..."Mur was looking at the elf who responded to him "...but I liked listening stories when I was younger. And one story cought my interest. It was story how Pan came among us - revealed himself in dream, first to one of our warriors and thaen to 40 more. It is also said that 40 of your prople - warriors from Kislovan had dream too." Half - Giant poused for moment as he needed to catche breath, and he continued: " You know, my family fallowes Pan too. It is said that my ancestor were among those first 40 of my people. I might even wisit isle where he is worshiped. But first things first..." Mur'Al'Din took his sword and sit on the ground, he started sharpening it with wetstone. Sword that would require most man to use their both hands in order to wield it, looked as "ordinary sword" in half-giant's arm. He turned his head toward Ja'Kama: " My friend can you tell me again, how many days before we reach our destination?", half giant asked never stoping working on his sword.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

The leader of the elves looked over to Mur as if he was shocked somewhat by the recounting of the tale. His comrades also peered up and looked at him before turning their attention to the elf. "Yes, Pan did a great many things. He saved the goddess of our cousins, the dark elves." His crisp blue eyes searched Mur`Al`Din's. "I had not realized that your people still followed his reeds."

Ja`Kama listened to the unfolding conversation with keen interest. "Four days should be it if we keep going the pace we are at right now." He tucked his belongings away and crawled into the blankets he unfolded while drinking a small bit of the money from his canteen. "Charming and quite enthralling conversation boys, but I am going to sleep. I suggest you do the same agaoin soon."

One of the elves who seemed shyer than the leader decided to speak up and looked at Mur. "I've thought about going to Pan's Isle before as well. Some say it is the most beautiful paradise."
Mur'Ath

Post by Mur'Ath »

"Maybe we both will be able to visit it, if everything goes well of course." Mur told to young elf, and then he addressed all of them: "I don't know if there is need for someone to keep watch over rest of us while wew are in sleep. But I'm still fresh and I'll have first shift. Just tell me who want to be next - so I can wake that person up." and he looked at them expecting some answer, but not for a single moment half giant didn't stop sharpening his sword.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"Perhaps..." The elf said as he scooted down into his bedding. "G'night."

The leader of the elves looked at his friend and said something in elvish which the half-giant didn't understand. He then turned his attention to him. "Alright, cousin. Please get some rest. On this eve we shall share the load. Tommorow your friend better help though." He nodded and turned his eyes heavenward and murmered what sounded like a reverant prayer to his god or goddess. "Wake me in two marks."

A slight yawn stretched his face before he closed his eyes and went to silent slumber.

The night went by quickly, the elf woke looking refreshed when Mur was all done with his shift. He sat up and began to fold up his own belongings just for something to keep himself busy as he heard the half-giant nod off. "Sleep well."

The next morning those who slept were awoken by the sun casting red light across the horizon and onto their eyelids. No longer would Uphuron keep to the clouds, his fiery red orb shone brightly in the orange sky.
Mur'Ath

Post by Mur'Ath »

Mur started fixing and packing his equipement. It was a early morning, but temperature already started rising and he knew that in no time they will have to travel under hot desert Sun. And send reflecting those Sun rays wan't help them eather.
Anyway Half- Giant felt good and ready for next day of their trip. When he finished with packing his stuff, Mur turned toward Ja'Kama and said with lite grin on his face:" Tonight my friend you were lucky, but next time you'll have first shift. So, if we are all ready I propose to start moveing we have some tresure to colect."
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"Oh yeah, so lucky." He stretched and crawled out of his sleeping gear. Reaching into his bag he pulled out some hard bread which he tossed to the giant. "Enjoy your breakfast." Looking over to the elves he nodded and stuffed the rest of the food away. "Sleep well boys?" Ja`Kama tore a bite out of the crust and chewed while beginning to roll up his bed.

The leader of the elves shook his head in agreement. "Yes, the stars provided a comfortable blanket and the sands a strong bed. Pan has blessed us this eve with good fortune." The other elves finished up their packing and sat on the bags they carried while waiting for Ja`Kama to finish.

Already the sun was heating the sands and it was obvious it would be a hot and oppressive day. Ja`Kama finished getting his things together and threw his bag onto his back. In his hand he held a device with an arrow and the other was a map. "We may want to stop midday, or earlier, if we can find shelter. Uphuron seems angry this morn, the skies are full of blood." He took another bite of the bread before stuffing it into a pocket of his shirt. "Let's go then." The man began to walk and the elves took up a strong pace behind him.
Mur'Ath

Post by Mur'Ath »

OOC: Hello Ashari, I apologize for a long delay. I had trip to Europe where I spent over month so I didn't have access to internet. But now I'm back home and ready to continue with our game.

IC: Mur were fallowing his friend. Sun was high and heat could be unbearable for someone not used to it, but Mur felt in this envirament at home. He strode very fast and did not show any sighn of exhostion. Every now and then half-Giant looked at sky to try to estimate how long before storm comes.
With worried expression on his face that was half concealed by his scarf Mur approached to his friend and told him: " My friend for how long we are safe to continue our trip for today? It seems that we may have trouble soon enough."
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

OOC: Welcome back friend, I hope your travels brought you much fun, bring me back anything? :wink:

IC:
"We need to go as far as we can, it appears as if there is a sandstorm lurking along the horizon and may start up at any time, however, we may be as good as dead if we haven't found shelter. Men -" He looked over to the archers who were desperately trying to keep up, they were unused to the severity of the heat and had to almost constantly have a sip from their canteens. "Keep your keen eyes looking for any caves, even rock out-croppings might be enough." Ja`Kama looked around as they approached a large upward slanting dune ahead.

One of the archers nodded and they kept on at a steady enough pace until they finally reached the height of the dune. "Over there..." The elf who had spoken to Mur last night about travelling to Pan's Isle spoke up. All the elves eyes looked over to where he pointed and they agreed. "It looks like it's atleast rocks, but I think I see a cave as well." The dusty conditions of the sands as well as the heat waves rising off the hot ground made it difficult for Ja`Kama or Mur to see what ever it was they pointed to. "It shouldn't take too long to get there. Come on." The spirited young elf began to walk and his friends followed suit. Ja`Kama agreed they should move, the faster the better.

It didn't take more than two marks before the sky above them darkened ominously, but by then the large rocks were well in the view of the entire party. In a half a marks time the winds had begun to blow the sands just as they entered an alcove in the outcropping. "Search for a cave.." Ja`Kama said as he circled toward the right of the rock. In the shadow of the rock it was cold and damp.
Mur'Ath

Post by Mur'Ath »

" Be extremelly carefull people..." Mur said and in same time he put his scarf around his face, so one could see only his big eyes. "... there is chance that someone or... something made shelter here as well! We don't need any unpleasend surprises. I advise to have your arrowes ready and fallow me.", hal giant turned his head away from Elves and looked toward rocks. He took as deep breath as he could and unsheated his sword and started toward rocks trying to make no other sound except for his deep breathes.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

The elves coughed as the sands began to stir more rapidly. Pulling out scarves as they watched Mur they wrapped them around their mouths and noses to keep out the harsh sharp sand. As the half-giant wandered into the outcropping of rock there was a scuffle of movement ahead in the darkness. The sudden change from the bright light of Uphuron's sun into the cool moisture of serenity provided by Anasis had left his vision stunted. However, it was apparent that what he stared into was a void. A long and dark cave entering into the pit of the cave.

"You know what? I'm beginning to think we made better travel time than I expected.. this might just be the caves we were looking for in the first place..." Ja`Kama called out from around a corner of the rocks, his voice hard and echoing around Mur's head. The elves had gone to investigate with Ja`Kama, all except for the one who had talked to Mur about going to Pan's Isle, silently the small young elf moved behind the half-giant.
Mur'Ath

Post by Mur'Ath »

Mur blinked cuple times, takeing few seconds until his eyes did not adapted at cave darkness. With sword in his hand he took deep breath before he started walking forward fallowing elves an Ja'Kama. Darkness were sorounding him and incoming storm and lack of sun outside didn't help either.
In moment one idea came on his mind, he turned toward young ef that fallowed him and said: " My friend you van see much better in darkness than I so, you'll be my eyes until we catch up with rest of our group..." and not waiting for an answer he turned his head toward direction that his comrades went and said in slightly lauder voice:"Ja'Kama, wait for us and lite the torch so I can see and find you more easily". And with that said Half Giant strode toward direction that he last time saw rest of their group telling to a young Elf :"My friend, now lead the way, I am next to you if you see anything suspicious just let me know, I am ready for any surprise..."
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Ja`Kama must not have heard the half-giant's callings, because there was no response from him or the elves ahead of them in the cave. The smaller elf, who followed Mur nodded at the request. "I sometimes forget that humans and others don't see as well in the dark." He smiled with an air of being friendly before stepping ahead of the large half-giant. The young elf drew his bow and an arrow as they stepped cautiously through the hole into the darkness. The floor beneath them was solid and sturdy unlike the softness of the sand. This ground was not forgiving to the feet. Sharp shards of rocky gravel covered the cave floor and poked into the soles of their shoes as the pair plodded along. "Be careful, there is a big rock over on the right-" He moved around it and kept going.

"Where did they all go?" He murmered, but then said: "Oh.. it's a division in the trail. Do we go left or right, Mur?" The young elf asked hesitantly. The cave was cold and a small shiver ran down his spine while his flesh was covered in goosebumps from the total darkness. "It's even getting hard for me to see.. I have good sight, but us elves can just see in the dark like jungle cats or anything."
Mur'Ath

Post by Mur'Ath »

Mur did not like this. The only situation that could went wrong already did, and with a division in the trail in front of them... Situation just went from bad to worst. Half Giant was avare that he has to make decision and do it fast or he might loose all chance to catch up with Ja'Kama and rest of group.
But Mur was not some scared chield, or "wetleander" who would make decision in haste - after assessing situation he said to young elf: " My friend, try to see any trace of rest of group - some light in distance or trace on cave flor. After all this years there should be little dust or sand at ground, try to see footprints or any other sign. meanwhile I'll check my backpack that Ja'Kama gave me, we ought to have torch in it - he said that he bought all stuff that we needed I hope he didn't forget that."
Even while he was finishing his last sentence Mur started searching through big bag of equipment that he was caring on his back. And while searching through bag rallying on his sense of touch, he said as he suddenly remembered :" Even if you can see better in one passage then another might be sign. That might mean that they have lit torch or something and even smallest source of light might make big difference if you can see as 'jungle cats in darkness'. Anyhow if we can't come up with corridor that they took we will take bigger one - if there is monster in this cave IT had to somehow come in.".
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

The elf shook his head, though Mur could barely see the movement. "No, what I mean is, we can only see as well as any other forest creature. It isn't like being in the daylight like some people seem to think us elves can do. I might be a bit better off than you, but not so much as to see in the dark." He squinted and tried to guage which of the huge paths were bigger. "I think they are pretty much the same, and I don't see any lanterns."

As Mur rummaged through the pack he found a lantern filled with oil, however there was no flint for him to light it with in the bag. Ja`Kama must have kept it on his person or in a bag that he carried. "I don't like it in here.. it smells bad and it's cold." The young elf complained as he shivered, his voice edging on adolescent squeakiness. The mustiness of the cave must have been caused by the rains they had had earlier that spring. In a dark unground place like these caves the water lasted and just circulated through the rocks.
Mur'Ath

Post by Mur'Ath »

"Don't worry my friend, soon enough we will have some light.", and Mur went through his own backpack searching for his flint and steel. After he took it he lit the lantern and look with the grin on his face. "And there was a light. Now my friend let's try to see if we can find any trace of rest of our group. We lost enough time already here. Look for anything in the sand on flour or any trace of leather from shoes or sandals that might be on sharp rocks on the ground. They are heavy with all stuf they carreing with them we should be able to see wich passage they took. If we can't find any trace we will take right one." and with that on his ming half giant started obsearving flour of the cave, hopeing for some signs...
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

The floor was littered with footprints in this section of cave. There were lines in the sand from snakes slithering in the cool depths of the moist darkness during the peak of the midday sun and small scratch marks from the claws of lizards. The most evident markings were the two legged prints though, wearing boots and such, which made it fairly obvious that going to the right was the way their companions went.

The cave around them was dark brown and the rock seemed to absorb what little light they had from the lantern. The sand glittered as they moved across it. Large stalactites and stalagmites hung from the ceiling and shot up from the floor, covered in a layer of brown dust which made small turns and twists they needed to avoid as they walked through the long hall. As they made their way the chamber became steadily smaller until it was only just as high as Mur's head. Still, they heard nothing and saw nothing other then their cave. "Maybe we should just wait for them or something..."
Mur'Ath

Post by Mur'Ath »

" Now it's too late to stop. We have to find them as soon as posible, so I advise we press hard till next intersection and then we'll see where to go. Just open your eyes wide - we don't want to miss any opening in the wall or to lose their tracks". Mur looked at young elf with seriouce expression on his face. Scarf was still around his head and neck, only now his face was uncovered. Half Giant was also young, maybe not as young elf, but at least he knew first rule in stressfull situations and he remembered what his father was telling him: ' If two armies of similar size meat on a field, victorius will be the one who is willing to hold there ground and not alowed themselves to panic...' He remembered those words very well and he didn't like the fact that elf was about to break.
So he tried to cheer him up: " Don't worry that much my elf friend, if something was wrong we would hear screams or find bodies, but as you can see so far so good...", and Mur even managed to smile saying that, "...now lets go. There is no time to loose any more."
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"Screams and bodies?!" The elf's eyes widened. "I hope that isn't your way of reassuring me... If it is I see why giants are a race that is losing ground." He shook his head and continued to walk, looking left and right along the wall. "Surely aren't very diplomatic, that's for sure. You know, there are different ways to word things so that they don't come out the way you just said that." The youn elf continued to scan the walls of the cave but saw no openings. Beneath them the shoed footprints continued onward for what seemed like ages as they continued to walk. The entire sand covered path seemed to be leading constantly doward, as if they were walking to the center of Tazlure itself, if that were possible.

After a mark of walking the elf stopped. "Hey.. where did the footprints go?" He asked looking at the ground and then looking up and around them. They had just walked into a large chasm within the cave. Their small bubble of light didn't extend to as far as the ceiling or the walls, but they could see the outlines of more stalagmites of varying sizes all around them. Water dripped from above their heads from stalactites too far up for them to see. "Now what...?" The elf whispered so that he could barely be heard.

Return to “Amun Rah Archive”