The Quest Begins (Part 1) ~ Mur`Al`Din

Moderator: Mods

Mur'Ath

Post by Mur'Ath »

Half Giant looked around. He could not penetrate darkness, it was obvious that they were in large chasm and all those stalagmites around him wasn't help to his effort at all.
Darn thing... Mur taught for himself, ...situation just went for worst again. And I'm stuck with half-frighten young Elf. Who knows if he would be able to take an aim if needed to? Thinking that Mur took a good look of his new friend. He had to come up with something and soon - befoure Elf start panicking.
After few moments Half-Giant started talking: " O.K. this is a deal - we'll start from where we entered this chasm. And go along right side until we make full circle. Of course we will mark where we started in order to know when we finish that circle. In front of every corridor that we find in the wall we'll check for footprints - in that way we'll be able to find which pat our friends took. So, let us start, we can't loose more time." And Half Giant, with sword ready in his hand immediately started working according to his plan.
Ashari
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

Post by Ashari »

"But.. Mur.. where did they go? Their footprints do lead anywhere anymore..." The elf sighed discontentedly. "It's like they sprouted wings and just flew off into the darkness."

The elf followed as Mur`Al`Din began to make his way along the edge of the cave. Around them the air was cold and damp. Deep down below the sands the great might of Uphuron could not penetrate to keep it warm. Their breath began to come out in billowly plumes of smoke from their mouths. The small elf shivered slightly. "I don't really like this much..." He said, gripping hold tight to his bow. "What should we mark our starting place with?" He asked before they wandered too far away from the opening to the tunnel out of the ominous cave.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Mur'Ath

Post by Mur'Ath »

"But.. Mur.. where did they go? Their footprints do lead anywhere anymore..." The elf sighed discontentedly. "It's like they sprouted wings and just flew off into the darkness."

Mur suddenly stoped at a spot, he turned his head toward Elf: " You are saying that you saw footprints disappearing, like... like they all of sudden vanished??? Darn, I taught that you couldn't see them anymore because of terrain and flour composition!! I'll tell you what we are going to do. You'll take one of your arrows, tie one small piece of cloth on it and we will soak it in oil and lit it. After that - from place that there footprints are despearing you'll shot the arrow toward seeling , let see if we can see something... And don't shot darn arrow under right angle we don't want that arrow to hit us on her way back."
Half giant decided to look better on ground where footprints disappeared, he wanted to see if some other track could be seen other then print of a humanoid foot, or maybe some sort of whole. Thinking of that he probed couple time into the sand on the ground, hopeing to see if there is quick sand or anything like that.

"If we can't discover anything here, we'll go around the wall as we planed, and I'll mark wall with my sword!!" Mur told to young elf, watching at him and waiting for elf to shot that arrow.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

The elf nodded to Mur. "Yes, that is what I was trying to tell you. No wonder you didn't understand why I was so worried." He gave a sigh of relief now that the giant was fully aware of what had occured.

"Ok..." He relaxed the bow and then grabbed hold of his arrow. Ripping off a piece of frabric from the bottom of his tunic he wrapped it around the tip of the arrow. "Alright, light that and we'll be set." He said dipping the swathed weapon toward the flame.

As the torch lit they were shown an expanded view of the chasm they were in, though it still wasn't a complete picture. Quickly he tied a rope to the end of the arrow and nestled it onto his bow. "Here goes!" TWANG. The flame shot through the air and lit up the crystaline stalactites as it went.

The two still stood in the sanctuary bubble of light cast from the lantern. As Mur's eyes cast around their feet he saw no signs of a scuffle of any sort, but he didn't see the foot prints either. "There!" The elf shouted as the arrow whizzed by a few lumps that hung from ropes from the ceiling of the cave. "What in the name of the Mother were those?" He asked, his mouth agape. The arrow continued on it's journey and the hanging blobs dissapeared. With an almost silent sound the arrow landed on the rockfloor on the other side of the cave. The young archer may have appeared unstable, but he sure knew what he was doing when it came to his bow.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Mur'Ath

Post by Mur'Ath »

Mur could feel his hair on back of his neck. He imidiately had his theory what were those two blobs, but he didn't know eather to tell young elf or not? 'I don't need him panicking yet, he is very skilled with that bow of his, and there is no need to lose good archer due to panic.',half giant thought for himself,'...I just wander which two we saw, two elves or one of them is Ja'Kama, and where the spider who took them is?'. Mur couldn't hide the grim expression on his face when he turned to young elf and said: "It is time to see what is that darn thing hanging from ropes. And this is what I'm thinking. First can you shot and hit rope that those things are hanging from if we are closer??
My plan is to come as close as possible and to have another "fire arrow" fired toward ceiling above those hanging lumps, 'Darn spider or whatever that might be might have net above - if we are lucky enough we might have that arrow fire the net and those ropes. so soon after we will have those lumps on the flor...', It is very important to aim in estimated spot where those ropes should start hanging from. If we are lucky enough we should have those blobs soon enough down.
If you need for better shot you can climb some of bigger stalagmites I'll help you in that - or just climb on my shoulders. And, yes - be very careful have one arrow imidiately ready after you fire first, and shot at anything that moves." expression on Mur's face and voice could not be more serious. And he took firmer grip of his sword and looked all around them - he did not planed to be taken by surprise as group before was.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"I can shoot it from here." The elf said as he pulled his string tight and aimed upwards. "Do were really want those things crashing down from so high though?" He asked as he continued to level his shot toward what to Mur would seem an impossible target. Tightly he tied some fabric to his arrow and lit it on fire.

He didn't give Mur a chance to respond though as the arrow soared through the air out of the half-giant's view. There was a sound of metal hitting rock and then a sort of jumbled yelling. In the distance there was a padded thud noise which echoed through the chamber and then silence again. Immediately the elf had another arrow drawn which he wrapped in cloth and lit from their lantern. "Now what?" His voice was surprisingly calm as he looked above them as Mur was doing. "I don't see anything."
Mur'Ath

Post by Mur'Ath »

"Now what?"

"Now, we are going to check what in Pan's name is that, and after that we'll see. One step at time. You just cover me and keep your eyes open.", Mur was carefully walking toward dropped object. Who we are going to find there, it is hard to believe that whoever that is, he survived that fall., half giant thought, approaching to bundle on ground.
When he was next to thing on ground, he looked for place where he could put lantern on - se he was able to have steady source of lite. Plus his both arms will be free for eventual attack.
If I find what I'm expecting I hope it is not Ja'Kama the one, and with that on him mind he approached with sword in his primary hand - ready to see who is bundled up.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

As Mur rushed over to the fallen bundle he heard only soft moanings from the lump and no other sound. The elf had moved quickly behind him, but his small feet made little sound. Kneeling down with lantern in hand he would find that the thing that had plumetted from the ceiling was indeed a person, but he was wrapped in regular rope, similar to that which one would use to tie off a boat on the docks. It was heavy stuff and had helped to cushion the fall of the groaning fellow. "Thank the very skies above!" His voice mumbled out to Mur.

"Please, help me. We must hurry, or they'll be back with their beast." He said as he tried to manage his way from the thick rope to no avail. "My friend is up there, please help him down." The elf was alreay lining up the shot. Inside the mass of twine was indeed a man, close in stature to Ja`Kama, but instead of dark complextion this man was blonde and fair toned with a thick beard covering the lower portion of his face.

"Should I, Mur?" He asked before letting the arrow go. The elf waited for the instructions of his half-giant friend.
Mur'Ath

Post by Mur'Ath »

"Yes, bring him down and set him free." Not waiting or looking if elf is going to obey, he cut rope that was tieing man in front of him.
"We have no time to loose. We'll go back in corridor that we came from after we are on safe distance where they can't see light from this hall, you'll tell us whole story - what is going on and who are those people that captured you and your friend." half giant paused for a moment, his eyes were piercing through blonde man's eyes: "And you will tell me everything about beast, size structure, bipedal or four and more legs, how well armored it is I mean everything, but now let us go from here as fast as possible."
"My friend...", Mur turned toward elf, "...try to hide our footprints best as you can. And once when we are in tunnel you will keep guard toward entrance in this hall.", half giants voice didn't left any room for objection, once more Mur checked on elf's progress and if he and other guy were ready to go.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"Al...alright Mur." The elf said and then he allowed the arrow to fly upwards. The firetipped bolt hit it's mark and a second thing came falling toward the ground. Quickly the elf stood aside so he wouldn't be hit by it.

The blond man, meanwhile, was thankful for having been freed, and he expressed it through many thank which he repeated several times over before thanking all the gods he could think of as well. "...And Pecunia and Pan and the Mother and Illuminatus..." His voice droned onwards as the other object landed with a thud and no other noise.

The elf looked over to the roped mass and kicked at it gently. There was a man in the folds of the hard rope, but there was also lots and lots of blood. "Harrison..." The blonde man said slowly. "By the gods why did he have to die?" The person in the ropes seemed quite young, maybe only eighteen or nineteen yahrens.

"Mur.. we should get going.. who knows when they or this beast will be back." The elf said as he brushed his feet over the sand to wipe away their footprints.
Mur'Ath

Post by Mur'Ath »

Mur noded with his head toward elf.
" O.K. you take care of our footprints, and we'll be gone. Leave dead man where he is - that way monster wan't be able to fallow us by smell of blood." And with long strides he started to walk fast toward opening in cave that they came from.

"Soon when we are safe you'll tell us whole story." Mur said to man wnd he kept going, with sword in his hand and ready for anything.
Mur'Ath

Post by Mur'Ath »

OOC: Hi Ashari,
I just wanted to let you know that I'll be on vacation *away from computer and not able to post) for three weaks!
That means from Jul 20th until August 11th. So, hope we'll be able to continue when I'm back :D !
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

OOC: Geez, why didn't you PM me when I didn't post to your thread? Well, when you get back we certainly will pick this up and then the real fun starts :D Enjoy your vacation, Mur.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

IC: Welcome back! Hope your voyage proved fruitful.

OOC:

It didn't take Mur and the young rescued man long to reach the yawning cave exit, the elf took a few flickers longer though, as he was busily wiping away their footprints. On the other end of the chasm there was a violent growling sound.

"Tis the beast!" The blonde man whispered violently to Mur, grabbing his shirt collar. "Do ye hear it?" His voice was hoarse and stressed, as if he had been yelling for hours until exhaustion had gotten the best of him.

Scurrying to their sides, the elf extinguished the flame of their lantern as the beast continued to menacingly snarl in the distance. The gutteral noises continued as there was a sound, a sound none of them had never heard before. It was a ripping, a tearing, and it sounded wet. Not too far from them they could see a movement, it was huge, whatever it was, and it was eating the body that was on the ground - cutting into the dead man's flesh and causing his blood to spill on the cool cave sand.

The beast swallowed the muscle and ligaments, each mouthful being ground and chewed within it's sharply toothed mouth, and then sliding down it's throat to be digested. And each of them could hear this, hear the sounds of the animal's ferosity as it ripped apart the man they had only flickers ago been faced with.
Mur'Ath

Post by Mur'Ath »

Mur could not see the monster any more, but he was able to hear it. Bone crushing sound and sound of chewing and swallowing were terrifying. But half-giant didn't have time for panicking… He was aware of situation and he had a plan in his head.
Monster had to be dealt with, and rather soon. He continued through darkness draging and pushing the blonde man and he told to young elf while they continued toward cave exit:
" Lead us toward exit that we came from and when we reach it give me the lantern. We will lit it and leave it at entrance of corridor . If monster is living in cave it should be light sensitive and it should use sense of smell to find us. If we cover lantern wit some cloth and then when monster come in front of it if we suddenly take of that cloth and release full light monster can be temporary blinded and that can give us chance to kill it. I'll use one of my tunics for this purpose.".
He finished in one breath, for a moment he paused to hear if monster is still eating and then he continued: "Just moments before we release full light you my friend will aim and shoot at monster's eye." And finishing that half giant already had flint and steel in his hand.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

The elf nodded to the plan. "Sounds good to me." He pointed them toward the cave entrance, and soon the three adventurers were safely inside. The beast was still busily eating the meal he had found on the cave floor.

"Good luck." Said the elf as he pulled out an arrow from his quiver and retreated to the safe position of behind a rock where he could align his shot.

The human looked back and forth between the two of them. "What do you want me to do?" He asked Mur, who seemed to be in charge of the situation at hand. Appearing ragged and worn, there was still a vibrancy in the man, he wanted to get out of this alive.
Mur'Ath

Post by Mur'Ath »

"I am glad that you are able and willing to help us. I will ask you to be person who will pull the tunic off the lantern. Will you be able to do that on my sign, and only on my sign?" Mur asked man with certain doubt in his eyes.

And not waiting for an answer he started preparing his 'lantern trap'. "We have no time to loose. You'll be behind me and when I touch you you'll pull tunic off." It was more statement then question that came from half giant.

After everything was set he looked toward elf, nodded to him and said:" We are ready keep talking to us what is going on wnd when monster reach the lantern shot at his eyes."
And with that said he took his sword in both his hands. Waiting in shadow, made by dim light, Mur was waiting for that one moment when beast hit by arrow and blinded by bright light instinctively pull up his head to cover eyes. Then at that split of second when monsters neck is exposed he'll be ready to strike with all his force behind the blow.

But only one thing worried him – he knew that rarely everything goes according to plan…
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

The human nodded in agreement to Mur`Al`Din's plan. "Alright." He whispered hoarsely.

The adhiel archer, on the other hand, was busily setting up for the attack. "It's eating the man..." His voice trailed off, obviously he was in the worst position, since he could put solid imagery to the sickening sounds and the others could only imagine. "It seems to have finished, it's sort of walking around. I don't know what it is, I've never seen anything like it." The adhiel paused. "It is very long, and has a huge long mouth with teeth, maybe two rows of teeth. Oh, by the Mother! I think it picked up our scent it's heading right this way!"

Meanwhile, the human was staring wide-eyed into the mouth of the cave, awaiting the beast. "Here it comes." Said the adhiel from the behind a rock embankment.

And then it was there. It was an impressively scary beast, akin to a lizard except magnificent in size. Walking on four squat legs, to the point that it's swollen belly rubbed against the cave floor, it opened it's deep mouth, full of large blunt teeth, and let out a deafening hiss. The length of the creature was atleast four, maybe even five, men's heights. But it was a short creature, the shoulder only coming up to Mur's waist.

From what little light they had from the muted lantern, they could see the heavy scaled plating over the skin of the animal, it was well protected with a thick hide. Bright yellow eyes scanned over the three men before it. The luminous orbs were reflective and made for seeing in the dark, with narrow slits down the center like a cat's eye. Sharp claws glinted with wetness, no doubt blood, on the end of each of it's short legs. Tatters of cloth and flesh were wedged between the teeth of the beast as it's yawning mouth hissed again at them.
Mur'Ath

Post by Mur'Ath »

Mur was observing the beast. The giant lizard was not so eager to attack, as he was able to smell the trap! Half giant noticed for himself. His eyes on hissing beast Mur passed his Kukri to a man next to him. Not looking at him he said in firm low voice: "On my sign uncover the lantern and wait for opportunity to attack his belly or eyes. Do not hesitate."

Looking that his foots are firm on a ground so he can react fast and dodge if he have to, Mur went into small squat with sword in both of his hands ready to stab for beast's eye or neck/belly. He took a deep breath. His nose was filed with scent of blood no doubt coming from beast, thousand of drums were biting louder and louder in his ears to the point when there were only him and his target. This target had sharp claws. Half giant reminded himself.

And in next moment command were leaving his lips :"Now!!" he said in firm strong commanding voice "Attack!!". And drums in his ears exploded into silence…
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

The blonde human nodded and took the blade in his hand, albeit somewhat shakily. Meanwhile, the elf watched cautiously from behind his sanctuary-like outjutting of rock.

The beast, undaunted by their speech, continued to hiss and spit in the direction of the two people he could see. When Mur yelled "Now!" and the light appeared, it not only blinded the beast momentarily, but also the men. The elf, undaunted, shot an arrow toward the eye he had seen, but the creature had thrashed and was no longer where it had been. With catlike eyes, which absorbed the light and used it better than human or half-giant eyes, it closed it's mouth and wriggled backwards, causing Mur to have to follow it into the large chamber to attack it.

What he didn't realize, until after inspecting his blade, was that he had wounded the creature, for it was stained red with blood, as well as a crimson trail which lead into the chasm. Several arrows lay strew about the passage floor. They had bounced off of the thick plating of the creature. "My arrows did NOTHING?!" The elf cried, somewhat in shock.
Mur'Ath

Post by Mur'Ath »

"Don't worry my friend. It is important that we made him or her bleed. If it's bleed it can be killed. Now we are going to fallow this trail and fast – you my friend will be our eyes. If you see someone in front of us just warn us on time." Mur said to young elf tapping him on his shoulder.

"And you while we are fallowing this trail tell us in soft voice and fast, what happened to you and your friend. Who attacked you – how many of them everything that you can remember" half giant finished in low voice, looking around with lantern in one and sword in other hand not wanting to be surprised by anything or more important anyone.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

The elf nodded quickly to Mur's instructions as he followed suit and stepped forward with bow at the ready and arrow in place. "Alright." He said simply as he walked along an invisible straight line out of the hallway into the yawning cave. The cool adhiel would not let his nerves show as he moved onward.

The human on the other hand, was scared, and it showed. "I-uh-yeah. We came here to find the treasure." He finally stammered out. "It was rumored to be here..." He paused, unsure if he wanted to continue and give away the details of his find. "We arrived at the cave, entered, and split up. I'm not sure what happened to the other half of my party, but Harrison..." His voice caught in his throat. The memory of the corpse had floated back into his memory. "I'm sorry, he, he was my friend... Anyway, we went together and the cave people got us, knocked us out, and tied us up. I think we were lunch, meant for this beast. It's like a pet to them. I don't get it."

Inside the cave was desolate and quiet. The adhiel steered them in a direction that avoided going near the torn apart body of Harrison, but he could see no sign of the creature. "I don't see anything, Mur." He stated as they moved on, until they found a valley in the cave full of water.

The human took this oppertunity to speak. "This is where it lives... in the secret lake. I've heard it said that the treasure is IN the water, somewhere, hidden in the creature's domain. After seeing it I'm not willing to wrestle her for it."
Mur'Ath

Post by Mur'Ath »

Half giant was silently watching the water in front of them. He was confused and surprised 'Lake and treasure on bottom of it… I should have known batter, it is never so easy!!'. He looked around trying to see any solution to the problem at hand, but he couldn't see any answer.
Rage was boiling inside him, his grip on sword hilt was so strong that his fingers and knuckles went white : "So close but so far." he murmured into his chin. Looking around helplessly anger obvious on his face he looked toward elf and man with him, and said in low voice: " Does any of you have any idea – how to fish out the monster or take darn gold. I came so far and by all the Gods I'll kill not only this monster but all tribe that you mentioned in order to succeed. Now my friends, any plans, ideas? And my elven friend keep watching for those cave people – we don't want to be surprised." Mur finished struggling to defeat fear that was overcoming him, and before he let them speak he spoke again:" It will be easer if we can call each other by name so what is your name my friend…" Mur asked man next to him"… mine is Mur'Al'Din."
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

The human looked at him. "Armond." He said simply. "My older brother is among the missing, I want to find the treasure, but I hope to find him as well," he stated.

The elf looked over to the human and nodded. "My brother is missing as well. You may call me Eridh," he replied and the situation seemed less tense.

Armond nodded to both Mur and Eridh. "Pleasure to meet you both, though better circumstances could've been appreciated." Looking into the water the human considered what the three of them could do. "Well.. how would we lure it out? It's already eaten..."

The adhiel then chimed in. "Well, It must have to eat again eventually, correct? Maybe we could wait it out."
Mur'Ath

Post by Mur'Ath »

Mur listened his companions, all the time thinking what their next move should be. Looking at their faces he told them: " O.K. this is what we know so far, this huge monster is living in this lake being hurt, and with full bally - we have no idea when next time this monster will visit surface.

On the other hand, you both have missing relatives and friends and no one of us can't say if treasure is for fact in lake or not – we don't have map with us.
So knowing all of this I see only two choices, we can wait for monster and after killing it searching trough this lake, or continuing further in search for our missing friends.". Half giant paused for a moment and looked in their eyes, his look then went into darkness of cave. He thought for a second and then returned his focus on elf and human in front of him.

" I am willing to continue with searching for our friends, if gold is on bottom of the lake it'll be there when we come back on our way out, and if we find our group we'll find map too. Anyhow, I would like to hear what you two think we should do – deal with a monster or search for our friends?" Mur finished looking at his companions, waiting for the answer.

Return to “Amun Rah Archive”