Gate Thread: Abu`Sahir - Foreigner's Court

Moderator: Mods

Ashari
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

Gate Thread: Abu`Sahir - Foreigner's Court

Post by Ashari »

OOC: Just entering Abu`Sahir? Then this is the place for you.:wink:

IC:
The central square, grand and just north of the city center, is called Foreigner's Court. And this is for a good reason; it is here that visitors of Abu`Sahir are expected to report to the Desert King's Magistrate, and it is on this square that all foreign delights can be tasted.

Stalls here sell imported goods at such a price that the average commoner could hardly pay for them. Smiths born in another nation work the rare metal here, creating weapons unfamiliar to this culture, and charging a fortune for them. Citadel delicacies, common on the streets there, are sold here for those whose mouth is homesick and whose purse is too fat; inns are styled in the way of this or that country, offering luxury at the wrong price. All in all, Foreigner's Court is a cacophony of sights and sounds, and a haven for all those who are new to the land.

After being throroughly impressed by the surrounding atmosphere the Magistrate speaks up from his podium at you: "Name and reason for venturing to the Rafao's land, please." Grumbled the short and beared man with a raspy voice. He was baldheaded but adorned long whiskers that almost reached his sandaled feet. For clothing he wears a simple white toga like outfit meant to keep him cool. Gold embroidery raced around the edges of his tunic and he stares hard with cold blue eyes. "Come on then, I haven't all tide..." His dark wrinkled skin seems to have seen more days of sun than the sands themselves as he awaits a response.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Acrymon D`Lusis

Post by Acrymon D`Lusis »

12th Samheen, Morningtide

Slightly distracted by the surrounding activity, Acrymon surveyed the area within the court. When he found nothing of particular interest, he looked down toward the little, bald man.

Having approached the tiny podium moments before, Acrymon watched and waited as the strange little man spoke to him - rather rudely, in fact.

The half-giant simply looked down at him stern-faced and raised an eyebrow.

"D`Lusis. Business," was all he said. His voice was deep, as if it came from all the way down in his boots - which was a long way for a voice to travel by any standards.

(OOC: Let me know if a different timestamp would be preferable. :))
Last edited by Acrymon D`Lusis on Mon Jan 26, 2004 6:23 am, edited 5 times in total.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

OOC: Nope, that timestamp is alright with me.

IC:

The magistrate looked up at the half-giant through his long grey eyebrows. A look of disgust briefly crossed his crisp blue eyes. "What's you're family name? Or is that it? If so what is the name that your behemouth of a father passed along to you?" He began to scrawl notes onto the parchment in a curvey handwriting that briefly made Acrymon think of the swirling patterns the sand took when the wind caught it and caused it to dance over a dune.

"And I'm afraid business isn't enough of a response, underling. Are you looking to do labor work? There is a union hiring men of your, shall we say, physique." A grin crossed his wrinkled face. "If not then I suggest the tavern, many of your kind come here and head right towards it."
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Acrymon D`Lusis

The little man talked fast, but Acrymon caught it - especialy the colourful reference to his father. The giant displayed no reaction to the offensive undertones of the man's words - except for his eyes, which hardened slightly. His voice remained unfaltering, stony, and deep as ever.

"Acrymon D`Lusis is my name, sir. My business is as a mercenary. I seek work."

As he replied, the half-giant looked the tiny man up and down - the shortest round trip his eyes had ever taken - speculating over how far he might be able to throw him, should the opportunity present itself sometime in the future. Either way, it couldn't hurt to be prepared.
Last edited by Acrymon D`Lusis on Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"Ah, a warrior then? Alright, that gives us something to go on atleast." He jotted down the last of his notes and then looked up at the half-giant. The small man looked as if he might weigh as much as a male sheep, mostly all bones and fabric just like a sheep is mostly all wool.

"If you are looking for a place to hone your fighting skills I suggest the arena. Sometimes if a man.. or a giant.. does well enough he finds himself in the employment of someone needing protection." He turned and nodded to a huge building that loomed forbodingly behind the palace and all the houses. "You can't miss it."

OOC: If you want you can either move onto a tavern, the arena, start your own thread or ask me to and I will. :wink: Enjoy the desert.
Acrymon D`Lusis

At the tiny man's last comment, Acrymon lifted his head to peer at the monolithic structure in the distance. An arena of that size was more than he'd expected, but exactly what he'd hoped for.

"Thank you," came a rumbling forced reply as the half-giant's gaze returned to the little man for a moment. Then he turned to look at the looming arena again and, trying to calculate its distance from him, headed down the road toward it.

(OOC: Ok, cool. Thanks Ashari. :))
Last edited by Acrymon D`Lusis on Fri Jan 30, 2004 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

OOC: No problemo.

IC:

The magistrate nodded at the half-giant with little interest and then turned his attention to the next in line. "The tide is wasting. The more of you who get registered now don't have to sleep outside the city gates tonight. I heard it is supposed to be a cold evening so let's get a move on!" He motioned the next person forward.

"Name and reason for being in the land of the Rafao."
Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Post by Maeve »

OOC: I am claiming this thread for the Modding Seminar. Ashari, can you finish the PC's you were helping and keep an eye on this thread? Please welcome Gini'feiy, who will be picking up any new PC's.
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Gini'feiy

Post by Gini'feiy »

OOC: Hi Guys.

Looking around to see if anyone is waiting for entry at the Gates, she moved over to the registration desk to help out.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

OOC: No problem. :D Welcome aboard Gini, hope you enjoy the desert isle. Good luck, and feel free to use whatever locations you would need. If you have any questions go ahead and PM me.
Rozwitha Vanderbilt

Post by Rozwitha Vanderbilt »

Rozwitha rode into the square on her pure white horse, her long raven hair unbound and blowing about her face in the warm breeze. She wore a long, white cotton dress, with intricate red and silver embroidery at hem, sleeves and neck. Looking like royalty, the young woman gazed around her at all the activity, taking it all in but remaining detached from it.

Another new place to explore, but would she find what she sought here?
Gini'feiy

Post by Gini'feiy »

A loud cough nearby broke into the regal splendor of Rozwitha's daydream, and reality came streaming in with it. The dust, heat and long wait were certainly reason enough to let one's mind wander to more pleasant thoughts. Certainly the way the magistrate's eyes wandered over Rozwitha he seemed liked he hadn't been too concerned with the extra time she had spent standing in front of him.

"Name, and reason for entry." He stated in a clearly bored tone, that seemed somehow more friendly than it had sounded for the others that had been ahead of her in the queue.

Though from the way his eyes continued to drift over her clothing, he seemed preoccupied with his own mental activities that were likely not connected with the here and now.
Last edited by Gini'feiy on Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rozwitha Vanderbilt

Awakened from her daydream, Rozwitha realized that she had finally made it to the front of the long and tedious lineup. While that was a relief, the gaze of the magistrate before whom she now stood gave her a discomfort of another kind and she felt her stomach tighten.

"My name is Rozwitha Vanderbilt," she replied in a polite but cool tone. "I am a traveller and I come to visit your city. I seek the Temple of Pan." To tell this man of her desire to serve her God as a companion to the wealthy women of the city, seemed foolhardy at best, so she left it at that.
Gini'feiy

Post by Gini'feiy »

The magistrate's eye stopped their trailing movements and for a moment it appeared as if he was going to say something that would be quite colourful in the extreme. After that moments pause however what he was going to say was swallowed back, and a strained smile appear on his face.

"Very well Rozwitha Vanderbilt." He said, quickly jotting down her name on his leger.

"If you wish to worship Pan here then I suggest you go to Anurith's Golden Ram, and ask him about his sheep. I'm sure he'll be able to help you out with what you need. Next!"

With that the magistrate waved her through the gates, and gestured for the next person in line to move forward.
Rozwitha Vanderbilt

"Anurith's Golden Ram," Rozwitha repeated, almost to herself. Somehow she was certain that there was a joke being made of her, but she had no idea what it was.

"Thank you, sir," she said automatically, but without conviction, as she moved off to one side to allow the next in line to be interviewed.

With the way men thought, in her experience, Anurith's Golden Ram was likely as not to be a common brothel, and that was not what she had in mind. How could one truly celebrate the blessings of Pan with someone who made her skin crawl, as all men did? Impossible! She would starve before she would rent her body to a man!

Rozwitha set out to find an Inn and perhaps more reliable information to help her in what she sought.
Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Post by Maeve »

Once again this thread is claimed for the Modding Seminar. Please welcome Tian :)
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

OOC: Welcome aboard Tian, hope you like my sandy little isle. Good luck ;). If you have any questions go ahead and PM me. Now, let the games begin!
Rexton

Post by Rexton »

Rexton walked up to the magistrate, smiling and tried to come up with a joke for the man.

"I just arrived from Dort and boy was THAT a swim! Erm.. where am I anyway? Rexton, here! Pleased to meet you!"
Last edited by Rexton on Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tian Cross

Post by Tian Cross »

The magistrate straed impassively at the large man before him. He seemed thoroughly unimpressed at the newcomer's attempt at humor. The day was turning out to be a long one and the magistrate longed for nothing other than to be at one of the drinking houses he frequented.

He tapped the podium and his beady eyes scanned the man's frame, settling on his ample stomach. The magistrate decided to make a joke of his own "I hardly think you are one to be swimming, eh?"

The ran his hand over his bald head, almost subconciously. He then took the note pad and scriber ready to make notes.

He remembered the Rexton's question and glanced at him suspiciously "It seemes strange to me that you haveno idea where you are, or perhaps I have spent too much time in the desert heat, yes?"

He paused and shook his head "Well Rexton, you have arrived at the great Ilse of Amun Rah, land of Rafao. What is your business here? You better answer quickly, I'll be letting no strays in to cause trouble."

The tapping continued as the magistrate waited for his answer.
Rexton

Post by Rexton »

Taken back by the man's gruffness, Rexton stood for a second. Not understanding the words that somehow described the place, he cocked his head and let his smile drift.

"Why, I have no business here at all. I was meant for Terra Incognita. How does one get there from here?"
Tian Cross

Post by Tian Cross »

The magistrate was puzzled indeed. He looked at Rexton with a renewed gaxe of suspicion. He then scribbled something down in his note book.

"Why then, foreigner, have you turned up in Amun Rah? The place you are after is miles to west across the sea. The only way you would get there is by boat. What business do you have in Terra Incognita? By the looks of you it isn't to fight dragons!"

The magistrate chuckled to himself as he waited for Rexton to answer once more.
Rexton

Post by Rexton »

"I was looking for spices to improve my bread and... waitaminute... what's this you say about dragons?"

He set heavy hands on both sides of his hips and raised a stern eyebrow as if the magistrate was trying to fool him.

OOC: I have a question - how do I use my skills. Let's say I wan't to use begging, how do I know if it works or not?
Tian Cross

Post by Tian Cross »

The magistrate chuckled to himself once more. It was travellers like these that brightened up his job.

"Well have you not heard of the tales of Terra Incognita? Grand dragons as old as an age and as large as any man has ever seen. Fiercely glowing blood red eyes would freeze your blood and masses of razor shrap teeth as big as a sword would cut you up before you could even scream!"

He began to play with his moustache and glanced back at the line that was forming behing the large human.

"Well if its spices you're after then Terra Incognita is the place to go. Your best bet would be to attempt to gain passage on a ship leaving west. If you want to stay in the city for a while I could direct you to any tavern. Hurry up, man, I have a line forming."

occ: Well the skills have to practised if you want to develop them. Say if your pc wanted to develop or practise begging then you should write that into your actions when in the city proper. It would be up to the moderator as to how successful Rexton is. Does that help? :D
Last edited by Tian Cross on Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rexton

Post by Rexton »

ooc: oh okay, thanks

Rexton turned his body around at the waist to see what this "line" was the man spoke of. A dozen individuals hardly constituted a line, he thought. This man's job was to give him instruction and by whatever god that lived here he would see to it the man did just that.

"Tell about your finest restaurants. And not just your local tavern, friend, where do the rich get their meals? Oh! And what is your wine like? Are there local wineries? I'd be intereseted in trying your finest breads and pastreys as well."[/i]
Tian Cross

Post by Tian Cross »

The magistrate seemed to ponder at the large man's questions. He was about to make another joke, this one about how it was no surprise that one of Rexton's size would be looking for an eating astablishment, but the narrow-minded man kept it to himself.

"By the looks of you I doubt you would have the means to get into any of the places that the nobles frequent." Under a snigger he added "No offence of course."

He scribbled yet more on his notebook and looked up again "You'll be wanting The Golden Ram I'm thinking. Fine food they'll serve you, at a cost mind. As for wineries hmm..." He paused and scratched his chin "you'd be better of asking at the tavern. To get there you'll want to head up to the trade district. Follow the signs."

The magistrate looked behind Rexton. Others in the line were beginning to get restless. In a rather strained tone he said "Is there anything else I can help you with? If so be quick about it."

Return to “Amun Rah Archive”