Gate Thread: Abu`Sahir - Foreigner's Court

Moderator: Mods

Khal Nissit

Post by Khal Nissit »

Nissit missed the Magistrate's impatient words at first. He had been focusing his attention on a rather buxom young woman selling some Citadel-inspired snacks at a nearby stall. The receptive lass, with sparkling blue eyes and long raven-black locks, blew him a kiss and then pointed, pointedly, at the Magistrate.

Nissit turned his attention to the official.
"Ah, actually I'd say you did have all tide, sir. Unless your duty is over after a certain number of visitors rather than at a certain mark."
Just then he recognized the man as a friend of his uncle's.
"But have good cheer, my fine fellow. I bear greetings from my Uncle Solomon. You might not recognize me. I am Nissit, here to evaluate trade goods for a possible venture to some of our more distant cities."
He gave the older man a conspiratorial wink.

Post by Guest »

Nissit's impudence did not sit well with the Magistrate, who's silver eyebrows lowered in a disdainful glare. The bustle of the surrounding market was a musical but cacophanous din, and the food-stand with the merchant girl disappeared within a swarm of hungry customers.

"There are certainly more things I have to occupy my Tide than insolent visitors such as yourself." After the sharp, corrective statement, the older man settled his quill against the next line in his book, waiting for the boy's name.

"Your Uncle..." A brief moment of confusion crossed his face, and then a darker glower of suspicion settled there. "See here Nissit, you're not the first to claim acquaintance with me, if you think it will provide you with any priviledges, you're vastly mistaken! I have no knowledge of this Uncle Solomon of which you speak."

He scribbled a few notes in his book. "Your name is just Nissit, then? No family name? Perhaps this Uncle Solomon of yours was a bandit or thief of some sort?" He leaned slightly forward, a hand lifting to tug at the silvered beard draping down his chest. "Evaluate trade goods? And just what would these trade goods be?" The Magistrate, having only casually studied the man before, now bent a hard icy gaze on the newcomer, overtly suspicious now.

OOC: Sorry it took so long to start you off! Welcome again, did you get my PM? Any questions?
Khal Nissit

Post by Khal Nissit »

"My name is Nissit. Not "Just Nissit". And why would I have the names of a whole family? Solomon is a trader and a guide. He's never had to steal anything in his life. Perhaps I've mistaken you for some other."

"As for trade goods, well that depends. I'm supposed to come up with a strategy to make money via trade. I have to evaluate different goods and what the pros and cons are to their trade as well as different possible routes for the profit and risks involved. it's a test, of sorts. My uncle wants to know I won't waste his money before he allows me my inheritance."

This was getting him nowhere. Then Nissit remembered a bit of trivial information about this particular Magistrate. Another wanderer had mentioned something about perverse tastes... what was it...
Ah-ha!

Nissit bent forward, a wistful look of lust now displayed on his face and in his posture. He thrust his pelvis forward somewhat and allowed the fabric of his clothes to slip toward one shoulder, revealing a smooth expanse of neck and shoulder. He reached a hand out to caress the old grump's thigh.

"Surely," he breathed in an innocent voice, "Someone as skilled and wise as you could help me with my education in the ways of city folk?"

Post by Guest »

The Magistrate waited for the young man's rant about his intended business with an irritated look on his face. Scribbling down some notation in his book, he then stared at 'Nissit' with narrow eyes.

"Enough of your hedging! To gain entrance to the city, and begin your trading, you must provide me with <i>a full name!</i>" The gravelly voice slowly increased in volume, until the last three words emerged in a rough, sharp stacatto as Nissit began posturing. In a woman, the Magistrate may have spared at least an admiring glance, but the offense to his manhood made the short man stand abruptly, thereby removing any part of his body beyond Nissit's reach behind the podium.

A gesture of one hand caught the notice of the two guards lingering in the shady background, and the two approached to linger on either side, non-threatening at the moment, but alert and eyeing the young trader-to-be. Perhaps approaching the Magistrate in a physical manner hadn't been the best decision. The magistrate grimaced at Nissit's words, then focused his cold blue eyes at the young man's, unaffected by the display.

"So, Nissit, you're here to trade? Sell that act at Anurith's Golden Ram, in the city." A sudden smile, as sharp as the expression in his eyes, played about his bearded mouth before he flattened them into a more serious expression, he did have a duty after all. "Lot's of merchants at the Ram, of course, the Docks may be more your style." Having regained at least an outward appearance of calm, the Magistrate plopped back into his seat. "Now, once you've given me your <i>full</i> name, be on your way. I haven't any more flickers to spend on your unruly impudence." The line behind Nissit had increased during their conversation, and several of those were stirring restlessly.
Khal Nissit

Post by Khal Nissit »

"Listen, you sun-dried fig, I've given you my full name. Nissit. N-I-S-S-I-T. What more do you want? Nissit, son of Caldin, son of Ras, son of Shadin, son of Lok, son of Sal-lok, son of Amid-sal... do you really neeed them all?"
Nissit huffed and puffed, not sure what exactly was required of him. He had expected to have to pay a bribe perhaps and be let by. but now he was getting angry. And bored. A dangerous combination.

The wily wanderer decided that he had ahd wuite enough of this. With a quick leap and roll, he bounded off into the crowd of people and merchants quickly getting lost in the crowd. He moved quickly in a random pattern that spiraled out in a circle around the area - so that his disturbance seemed to come from everywhere.

The poor confused guards did not know where to go.

Post by Guest »

Ari sighed as she peered down from her stallion onto the commotion below, willing the line to go faster so she could get home and take care of Sands. I don't understand why they insist that everyone come through here, I live here. Ari sighed as Sands tossed his head and pawed at the ground several times. "We'll get home soon boy." she assured. This seemed to calm Sands, and he returned to his calm state, allowing Ari to watch the drama unfold.

Well that Nissit's clever, in the sense that he knows what he's doing, evading those guards like that. Though that hand was uncalled for before, no common sense. Ari walked Sands up to the podium, arranging herself to better look at the magistrate. "I am Ari Tyto." She said calmly before he could even ask. "I'm just coming home from a few days ride along the coast." She waited calmly, pushing a few locks of black hair from her bright blue eyes.
Last edited by Guest on Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by Guest »

OOC: Welcome Ari! If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

The one guard departed rapidly to organize a search for the miscreant Nissit, focusing on the only two entrances (both to the city and to the outlying area) through which the populace were funnelled through. With the recent attempt at the Rafao's life, the guards in the area were more alert for suspicious characters, so Nissit would not get far. The Magistrate was practically steaming (even his beard seemed tense with agitation), and so nearly missed the young woman's words.

"I am Ari Tyto." She said calmly before he could even ask. "I'm just coming home from a few days ride along the coast."

Visibly calming himself, the Magistrate reached down for the skin next to the podium, lifting it to pour water into the empty glass before him, which he sipped as he listened to the young woman's words. A hand tugged at his beard, as he struggled to contain his earlier distemper, but his blue eyes had a bit of sharpness left in them.

"What? Hm. Ari Tyto is it?" He jabbed his quill onto his notes and began to scrawl forth some information. Eyeing her, he seemed to calm somewhat, and a rather flat attempt at a smile briefly appeared in the midst of his silvery beard. "Returning from..." he mumbled to himself.

"And whereabouts in the city are you destined? Or your place of work?"
Last edited by Guest on Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

OOC: Yeah, Ari is supposed to have an inn that provides lodging and stables to work at(She's bartending, and she's supposed to have a store to work as a clerk at too). So if you could point me to one out of character you would help me so much, thanks!

Ari looked down upon the magistrate smoothly, watching hungrily as he sipped his water. Mmm...wish I had some of that.

"Yes, I'm returning to the inn I work at." She smiled back at the magistrate, making his rather flat attempt pale in comparison to her broad pearly white one. "I wish to get back soon, my horse has had a long ride, and needs rest."

As if on cue, Sands snorted and tossed his head, simultaneously pawing at the ground with a hoof again. Ari reached down and patted Sands' neck, soothing him softly, when she looked back up, the magistrate was done scratching with his fancy quill and looked ready to answer. Oh Anasis let me go soon! Ari prayed silently, hoping her wish to come true. She was covered in dust and sweat, as was Sands, and was really looking forward to a bath, she was sure Sands was too.
Last edited by Guest on Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by Guest »

OOC: Will work on the shop info, but for now, you can head to the Bad Omen Tavern - it's currently towards the bottom of the forum. Feel free to either enter directly in, or stop and we can put up your horse in the stables. The other bartender (who is there when you're not) is called Ramek. Have fun! I'll be your host for a while until my other duties as a mod increase. As soon as you post a response here, feel free to move on to the other thread. :)

IC: The gleam of her pearly whites seemed to counter-balance her vague answer, and both of his silver eyebrows lifted as he observed her. "Specifics?" As he waited for her answer, his fingers tapped upon the podium. His patience beginning to fray, he was quick to jot down her answer, which he frowned down on for a moment before peering back at her.

"Hm. I'd be finding a better place to be, there's many a bad rumor flood the streets from there." With a shake of his head, he motioned her along, already moving on to the next person - a wiry turbanned man who watched the horse and rider from a face lacquered with sweat and dust, envy coloring his dark eyes.

The Magistrate's advice, though colored by his own sense of superiority, was not too far from the truth - the Bad Omen tavern was one in a string of alley shops and bars where the less priviledged of the city swarmed.

Post by Guest »

OOC: Thanks. ^_^ Yay! I'm employed! Well, let's move to the stables, they're more important right now.

IC: Ari answered and looked down at the magistrate with anger in her eyes. He's really starting to get on my nerves. She was indignant of his advice. She had no need of advice from a man with such bad temperament, even though it was good advice. Ari could take care of herself thank you very much.

Ari and Sands huffed at the same time, as he pushed her away. How rude. She was just about to retort, when she realized she was free to go, and that Sands really needed a bath. So, instead, she turned around and set Sands as fast as she could go without losing control or running someone over. Ah, she marveled at the wonder of finally being able to go home.

Return to “Amun Rah Archive”