Ye Ol' Tavern

Moderator: Mods

Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Ye Ol' Tavern

Post by Maeve »

Light shone through the thick glass of the windows, a warm yellow glow into the cold night. Through the open door of the Ye Ol' Tavern music drifted over the breeze, the eerie sound of a minstrel singing a ballad. A waft of freshly baked breath and a hearthy stew accompanied it. Outside sat two old men on a wooden bench, silently smoking their pipes, and tipping their hats to the lovely ladies walking by.

At the entrance a burly dwarf stood, his arms folded, watching everybody going inside. A pile of swords, quarterstaffs, and hayforks behind the doorman kept growing.

Inside, the room seemed somehow smaller then it must have been. There were tables, with a softly burning candle on each of them. At some tables people sat, talking softly, laughing at private jokes.

A group of four brownies were playing an intricate card of games, occassionaly hitting each other on the head for cheating. In the corner a muscled Half Giant stared somberly in his ale, while the bar a white robed man and a satyr shared a glass of Islay Whiskey and a game of chess.

In the middle a huge round fireplace, with easy chairs grouped around it and a broad ledge to warm wet feet on. Near the hearth a group of three musicians were making music, the flamboyant man on the lute adding his voice to the orchestra. A few people had taken to the floor to dance on the lively jig that followed the balled.

The peace was kept by a voluptous redheaded woman and blond in a lowcut dress, the owners of the establishment. A selection of Pixies was serving out the drinks, while a fat cook busied himself over a stove in the kitchen. The redhead greeted each newcomer with a wave of her hand, stopping every few moments to take a hearty swill of her ale, while the blond just smiled and served a cold drink. Nothing that went on Ye Ol' Tavern escaped their attention.
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Tavren

Just another day.....eh?

Post by Tavren »

How late did I sleep?, wondered Tavren, stumbling down the stairs and rubbing his eyes. My my, they've really spruced things up around- "This isn't the Burpin Dragon!" He spoke outloud in his surprise, and was rewarded with a good-natured: "You're a quick one Fella!", shouted from one of the tables. Shrugging, he strode forward, glancing around curiously. His eyes, mannered though they were, couldn't help lingering on the impressive melons of the redhead. Hostess with the mostest indeed..., he mused.

Passing the bar, he glanced down at the chessboard between the odd opponents. "Mate in three moves", he said absentmindedly, moving on.

Swatting away a pixie, Tavren motioned instead to the blonde for a drink. Never one to question good fortune, the fiery-haired rogue just smiled and leaned against one of the nearby Brownies while he waited, surveying the dance floor for a no less than ravishing partner.
Raven Darkheart
Captain

Post by Raven Darkheart »

Raven laughed when he saw the sign. The deep baritone sound mixed with the eerie ballad of the minstrel. Ye Ol' Tavern. It sounded like every little place he had ever been to. "It is good to be home," he shouted at the burly dwarf, slapping him on the back before he detached his rapier and handed it over with a flamboyant bow to the doorman.

He didn't even have to check. He just knew he was wearing his black trousers and his frilly white shirt with the blue captains coat with its shiney gold buttons, his black hair tied back in a ponytail. These dreams were all the same.

Inside he swaggered towards the round fireplace, letting himself fall into one of the comfy chairs, his feet up the ledger "Ah.. matey, this is the real life!" he sighed happily and then winked at one of the pixies that flew by "A good shot of rum, my lovely, if ya please."
Flavius

Post by Flavius »

[OOC: Can I be the white-robed man at the bar, chatting with the Satyr, even if I'm really a white robed (and eyed, etc.) elf?]
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

OOC: No, that's a npc :)
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]

Post by Guest »

Murhek wandered through the doorway and paused - he glanced around for a moment and after assuring himself that he was not about to be attacked and was fully clothed he turned to the dwarf with a charming grin - preducing a plethora of stilletos, knives and daggers before heading into the tavern proper. He snatched a glass of his favourite Gulanadur wine off a tray that a passing Pixie was whisking past - then he sat down near the half-giant and froze. A half giant? He looked around slowly - as far as he could see everything in this tavern was distinctly topsider. After wracking his brains he came to the conclusion that he didn't remember leaving his quarters at the guild - much less Gulanadur itself and, since he didn't seem to be under any direct threat, he gave a mental shrug and began to work at emptying his wine glass.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baldwin You'san

Hmm

Post by Baldwin You'san »

' Hmm what was this place?' He walked into the building, with no memory of actually coming here, shrugging, he made his way to the group of brownies playing. Grabbing a chair, he sat himself down a few feet away from the game, but close enough to watch. It was quite amusing watching brownies play a game where they all cheat....or was that the rules....Hmm with bronwies I guess it doesn't matter.

What are ya playing anyways? He had to wonder before they gave themselves concussions....
Pitr Nash

Post by Pitr Nash »

"...and leave the bottle..." came another voice, a rough sound not unlike stones falling against more stones. Stumping to the bar with an uneven, determined gait, a new figure smelling of salt and alcohol entered, his form obscured by his greatcoat with the lapels turned up as if to ward against some cold breeze. The coat was worn and frayed, with areas faded and thin. The face snugged between the lapels was much the same, with uneven, wild eyes and jagged, feral teeth.

Standing at the bar near Raven, Pitr Nash took up the bottle of rum with some pleasure. With but a quick glance to Raven, a glance that conveyed his pure appreciation of the finer things, he lifted the bottle to his lips and began to drink as if it was little more than water.

After a few flickers of sudden, almost violent consumption, his eyes caught sight of Tavren and he spluttered in surprise, spewing the amber fluid out before him and staring at the other rogue in stark surprise. With rum drooling down his whisker-coated chin, he spoke.

"You!"
Tavren

Post by Tavren »

What the deuce... Tavren's eyes widened at the sight of the captain, but his surprise was quickly replaced with a broad grin. "Ahoy Nash!", he bellowed, raising a hand (that he hoped would soon be filled with a drink) in greeting. "How the hell d'ya get here? Last I saw you, you were playin' pincushion for that guppy Luchiano!" Tavren shook his head in wonder. "I thought you'd taken a long walk down a short plank for sure!"
Last edited by Tavren on Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raven Darkheart
Captain

"Hey matey, no spilling of alcohol. Its a sin," Raven protested and saved the bottle lest the drunken pirate let it slip from his hands. He took a long swill for good measure.

"Been sailing the Seven Seas?" Raven inquired casually, not budging from his comfy chair at the hearth, "Ran into any trouble with the Pirate Queen lately? Such a pretty lass. Pity about the dungeons."
goldentree

Post by goldentree »

Goldentree suddenly found himself standing in front of an inn. He looked all around him, nothing looked familiar. Is this a part of his test? seeing how he can deal with letting lost somewhere? He ignored some quiet voice in his mind that told him that his test was over and he failed, and went in.

His ears, that were used to the quietness of the woods almost exploded when he came in, the noise was terrible! But Goldentree found himself fascinated by the voices of singing and playing. He placed his bow and dagger at the door with the Dwarf, again ignoring the voice that told him that he could be in danger and walked to the bar.

He saw hundreds, if not thousands of bottles and glasses, which were full with many different kinds of alcoholic drinks. Goldentree ordered the ale that looked less harmful then the others, it WAS the first time that he ever drank, and he wanted to take it slowly.

There he sat, next to the bar, looking at everything and everyone in the room, his eyes full with joy, he didn't know that bars and drinking have that affect!!

After the first drink came another, and another and before Goldentree could help it' several more came. Finally he was drunk and before realizing what he is doing, he grabbed the first woman that he saw and dragged her to the dance floor, there he danced like he never danced before, actually, he never danced before...
Pitr Nash

Post by Pitr Nash »

Pitr glanced from Tavren to Raven, his expression one of shrewd mirth. He ran a sleeved forearm across his face to clear away the rum and spoke, his voice a harsh, grating bark. "Oh, aye, Tav'ern...'e cut me up fierce. In fact, 'e had the number o' my mess, sure as sure. Ah'm dead as they come. But 'ah got him fer I bought it, thought, rotten, mumping, fukkin' bugger..." he said, opening his coat to reveal a pair of familiar, bloody wounds, one upon his left shoulder and the other, a mortal stab, in his abdomen, a very painful way to die.

"An as fer you, mate..." he said to Raven, smiling at him with some benevolence. "Pardon me villainous alcohol abuse, an' dun speak ta me about some Pirate Queen. The back o' my hand to those black-heart cowards that wud rule the only free peoples alive. Why, sure, ah did nay win the day fer us, Tav'ern..." he turned back to Tavren at this, his expression somewhat frustrated and sad. "But if'n I had, we'd be kings of our own, seekin' gold, adventure, an 'hores wherever they be had, sure."

Pitr seated himself near Tavren, his movements awkward and stiff as if he was in great pain. Tipping the bottle up again, he drained it off with a smooth, long pull, the rum coming as easily to him as air. "So! Couple o' right bastards like you two...maybe you've gots plans o' yer own, eh? Don't you worry about yer ol' Cap'n, Pitr Nash...the Gods won't take kindly on me in 'ell, but ah never quit, an ah never give up, ah don't...e'en in death..."
Guenhwyfar
Retired staff

Post by Guenhwyfar »

Guenhwyfar stepped into the tavern, wrapped up enough in her own thoughts that it was a moment before she realized it wasn't the familiar Scarlet Hydra, but something else altogether, with all manner of strange creatures around it. She blinked, and then looked down at herself; instead of the newer clothes she had recently acquired, she was wearing her old clothes, a full-sleeved linen shirt stiff with salt and a pair of worn leather trousers. Her long black hair was unbound instead of in its usual tight braid, and the scar along her eye was white against skin tanned from the sun and sea.

She handed the dagger at her waist to the dwarf at the door, and felt with a measure of surprise the familiar pressure of a dagger in her boot -- a dagger that she had lost in a battle... how long ago had it been? Everything seemed fuzzy for some reason. Old suspicion died hard, so she decided she would just as soon leave that where it was as she breezed past the dwarf.

She narrowed her green eyes to look around the room, arching one eyebrow at the sight of what seemed to be brownies and some half-man half-beast creature at the bar. Finally she caught sight of a creature that looked vaguely familiar, in conversation with some who didn't, and headed over in that direction.

"Captain Darkheart," she said dryly. "Fancy meeting you here." She summoned someone to give her a drink with an imperious motion of her hand, then looked at Darkheart's companions.
<i><small>She's not quite as nice as She looks, nor you quite as tough as you think.
--W.H. Auden, "Circe"</small></i>
Raven Darkheart
Captain

"Guenhwyfar," Raven said with a laugh that bared his annoyingly white teeth "What is a beautiful gall like you doing in a dump like this." He stood up from his comfy chair to kiss her hand in a mockery of court behavior.

"May I introduce you to the late Pitr Nash?" the captain said as he turned to his recently aquired companions "He's quite dead I can assure you, but he seems to take it all in stride. He's been telling me how some people who lead pirates are.. what was the word again? black-heart cowards ? I was about to suggest he'd go haunt a certain lady of our aquintance."
Tavren

Post by Tavren »

Tavren smiled ruefully and laid a hand briefly on Pitr's shoulder, long enough to be comforting but not so long that it broke any pirate social norms and became awkward. "Now that I believe Captain Nash. You're a right scrappy bastard, and if more lads had seen in you what I saw, we might have just won the day. In any case-" Tavren grinned, " it was a glorious defeat."

Turning to Raven and the female newcomer, Tavren leaned more heavily on the card-playing Brownie. "A man as dead as Pitr can say what he likes", he chuckled. "And this particular cadaver is one whale-riding son of a bitch. He knows a thing or two about piracy."

The rogue observed his empty hand forlornly, wishing that blonde bird would hurry up with his drink. Sighing, he turned back to the group. "Tavren", he said, shooting Guenhwyfar a smile followed by a wink. "Tav if we share breakfast."
Pitr Nash

Post by Pitr Nash »

Pitr's jagged, crooked face broke into a toothy grin of his own as he watched the newcomer and Raven's response to her. "That's black-hearted coward, mate...be sure ya smoke me a'rights w'all yer 'assurin' as such," answered Pitr, though he didn't remove his eyes from Guen. "Ah think mebee we're in the presence o' pi'rate nobility. See 'ow they play courts jus so? Aye, times is hard...Har har har!"

Pitr turned back towards Tavren, though his attention was drawn to his bottle and it's fundamental defect of being empty. Despite this, he up ended it again just to be sure it was not some evil trick of the thieving light. "So, mate...ah'm glad ta see yer alive. Which ah didn't leave too many mates alive behind me, sure. What 'appen to t'owther fellow we'm brought...Ballast, maybe it were? Did he run clear, or did them buggers smoke him out directly? Pardon a flick, mate...AHOY, THE BAR!" he shouted, his broadest foul-weather voice filling the tavern as he waved the empty gourd over his head.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

OOC to Baldwin: can you do something right quick for me? Put your thoughts in italics and anything you say out loud in between " ". I don't want any misunderstandings :)

OOC to all: just a quick reminder not to asume too much about the NPC's, let alone create them or invent parts of the setting (Tavren, Goldentree, I'm looking at you ;) ). You can however assume that you get your drinks to allow for smooth progress. Of course being served provides its own fun :twisted:

Now shoo and remember to interact with each other :)

IC:

Tavren

"What ya havin?" the blond shouted, busy at the tap doing a series of ales all in one smooth move. She put down a glass of whatever Tavren's poison was and winked at him when she noticed his occassional glances at the redhead"Don't ye be eyeing Maeve's treasures too much, dearie. She might take offence and send the entire OBrien clan after your hide."

Murhek

The most extra-ordinary thing was that nobody even twitched an eyebrow at having a dark elf in their midst. Had this been real life then surely Murhek wouldn't have lived past the burn. Instead the half giant looked up from his ale and politely asked "What's up neighbor?"

Baldwin

The brownies seemed oblivious to Baldwin's keen interest. A pixie fluttered around his head shouting in his ear "What ya havin, sir? Are you with them?"

Goldentree

Sadly, there was as of yet no woman for Goldentree to grab and so he sat at the bar drinking away his sorrow, till the satyr turned from the game of chess for a moment, grinning. "You are Goldentree. Now what kind of name is that?" The whiterobed man drew himself up "Now really, what kind of silly question is that. He's an elf, what did you expect ?"
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

The redhead moved over to the collection of pirates with swinging hips, carrying a large bottle of rum "Ye be wantin' somethin, laddy?" she laughed at Pitr, bending over suggestively "Bet I can help ya."
Tavren

Post by Tavren »

OOC: Well if leaning on Brownies is a crime, throw me in the lock and call me Nancy :P

IC:

Tavren scratched his chin. "Ballast? To be honest, the whole venture is kinda fuzzy in my mind at the moment." How had that business ended anyway?? Pushing his confusion aside, he smiled as the blonde served him his drink, a sizeable mug of quality red wine.

He smiled at her comment about his drifting gaze. "I'll try to tear my eyes away", he teased. "I don't suppose you're affiliated with any vengeful clans are you?" Even as he spoke, the redhead approached the group and thrust her wares practically in his face. How do I ignore THAT?, he scowled. I feel like I'm at a bloody buffet and they're telling me not to eat! To distract himself the rogue took a hefty swig of wine, thought he knew it would only make the melons seem riper.
Pitr Nash

Post by Pitr Nash »

Ripping his attention from the noble pirate and the pirate vixen, he sighed to himself with remorse for his lack of life and glanced past the buxom waitress at his one-time mate. I just...didn't have enough time. There are things I'll miss... he thought, the pain of his wounds dissolving in the pain of his own personal loss. Time to prepare for the eternity that awaits me...

"Well, lass..." began Pitr, speaking to the serving girl with exaggerated control and form. "My gourd appears to be empty. If I'm not drunk..." Pitr reached out and grabbed up the waitress, pulling her onto his knee with reckless disregard and grasping, impatient hands. "Hahaha! If ah'm not drunk, hun, ah kin only see one o' you!" he bellowed, his laughter filling the room with it's course, jagged sound.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

The redhead giggled as Pitr pulled her on his lap, gropping all over the place "Careful or me brother might come over and hit ye in da head. He's of da proper kind. The O'Brien clan is like that." As she pretended to try and escape her head fell back. Suddenly her eyes widened, as she observed Pitr's companions more closely. "Raven Darkheart.. you.. you rogue!" she stuttered "How DARE you come here after what ya did to me."

Holding on to Pitr she reached out to the Captain and hit him in the face.

Post by Guest »

After depositing her staff with the door's guardian dwarf, Lyssa walked into the tavern, eyes going over the groups of people within. She was surprised, and yet not, at the wide variety of people who were there.

She paused in an out of the way spot. Looking down at herself, her head cocked curiously at the clothes she wore. She couldn't remember owning them, nonetheless putting them on. The blouse she wore was low cut, a deep V neck, revealing quite a bit of skin to the eyes. Her skirt was a long flowing thing, a forest green material, some sort of soft material she had never seen before. A hand reached up to find her red curls braided and twined around her head, a few ringlets framing her face.

I had best make the best of the situation. She thought to herself and crossed the tavern floor.

She took a seat at the bar, and looked to the servers. "I would like some wine please."
Last edited by Guest on Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pitr Nash

Post by Pitr Nash »

Bringing the waitress to him, Pitr clutched at her hip and her breast with the jovial, reckless abandon of nothing less than a randy, uncontrolled sailor. Planting her upon his lap, he managed to burry his face into her red hair once before she pulled forward, her hand still clutching to Pitr's own.

When she reached forward and struck Raven, Pitr grinned at her with shocked amusement. "Shit!" he started, a pleasant exclaimation of his surprise. Pitr Nash was always quick to recover, though, and soon he was jeering at the other pirate with careless mirth.

"YEAH, Lord Raven of the high seas! How dare you?" laughed Pitr, almost mimicing the woman's anger. "I think 'is lardship should go before broother O'Brien comes a'callin! Hahaha!" he added, his broad laughter echoing out across the room as he drew the attacking woman back to his lap and hopefully away from the object of her anger.
Last edited by Pitr Nash on Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

The first thing Rhoddin noticed was that he didn't have any thorn holes in him anymore, and that somehow his shoulder didn't seem to want to seperate from his body either. It was also rather noisy, some roughnecks seemed to be shouting at each other over something.

He lifted his head, and what the!. He had dozed off, somewhere on the edge of Dragons Keep, assuming the great diety grant hadn't killed him, which was always a possibility, and now here he was in a tavern.

Well, it certainbly beat sitting in the cold waiting for some undead villager or paladin to find him, and spit him on a stake!

Wonder if I can get a beer, better still a beer and a good whiskey chaser. Standing, still surprised by the lack of pain, Rhoddin made his way from the quiet corner he had been occupying to the bar, spying a spot by a woman with strawberry blond hair, sitting at the bar.

As he reached the bar, he turned to the young woman, "mind if I take up a few feet just here? It seems the tavern is rather full this evening." Looking to the bar keep, Rhoddin ordered his beer, and shot of decent whiskey. He was even more surprised to find a fair collection of coin in his pocket, Maybe a few beers is on the cards.

Turning the young woman again, he continued, "It seems I am more financailly viable than I thought, may I offer to pay for your drink as well? Oh my name is Rhoddin, how do you do."

Post by Guest »

Murhek glanced over at the half-giant for a moment, more than a little disoriented, before replying,

"Not much really - yourself?"

He took another sip from his glass as he turned his chair around to facilitate better conversation.

"So where abouts are you from then?"

Return to “Kanthrop Archive”