The Cave of the Watcher

Moderator: Mods

Dark Whisper
Special Branch

The Cave of the Watcher

Post by Dark Whisper »

The entrance to the cave was non-descript unless one looked closely at the runes carved in the stone above the entrance, now weathered and largely unreadable. Inside the dank cavern burns a solitary fire in a pit strewn with bones of animals, and perhaps humanoids.

An old crone, even more weathered than the stone above the door, sits huddled in front of the flame, periodically adjusting the threadbare shawl that adorns her shoulders. As you draw closer, you see no stools or furniture ... or anything else of comfort. One would think this the last refuge of a peasant great grandmother, yet, upon closer inspection, one cannot help but feel power permeating the air. The woman's eyes are milky, but they are not unseeing. In fact, they can see things no other can.

She looks up as you enter, as a merchant at a bazaar might. Yet, your arrival was somehow expected and the bargaining promises to be much more fateful. "You are here to learn something," she cackles as an abrupt introduction. "But are you willing to pay the price?"
Friends come and go but enemies multiply.

Post by Guest »

Isaac was looking at the crone, distinguishing her features one after the other. He thought she shared the ugliness of the firepit. She spoke and he wondered what he could learn in a place like this. Looking around for the first as if newly aware that he stood there, he absorbed the atmosphere without doubt, and questioned merely the climate outside what could affect this change in temperature from the warmth he could swear to have felt burns earlier.

"Yes, I am," he answered and looked back at the old woman. He stood uncertainly without deciding to move anyway else and slipped his arms into his robe, lacking a support to lean on. The meaning she conveyed was unknown, but he said Yes for want of any answer more appropriate. Possibly he was here on an errand he'd forgotten; his memory was an empty hole.
Dark Whisper
Special Branch

Post by Dark Whisper »

"Secrets he wants," she murmured more to herself. "Secrets be costing secrets young man," she whispered. "The bill must be paid. The greater the secret revealed, the greater secret told."

"Tell us what you wish to know, but be prepared to tell us that which you would have no other know," she cackled, obviously appreciating her own brand of humor.

Post by Guest »

He took offense at the offer. To tell a secret for a secret was a heavy toll. Worse, it assaulted his security, already dwindling, in this dank cave. His dignity would not condone a trade of secrets whereas the hag's own willingness indicated an apathy or power. The offer begged his agreement. He wished to learn her knowledge. Her secrets could span everything. He moved a step closer to the firepit and looked down at the old woman, counting her disfigurements and looking in her eyes for a sign to prove familiar.

"Tell me then, what lands are at the end of the world, past the westmost of my Western Kingdom, past the eastmost Isles?"
Dark Whisper
Special Branch

Post by Dark Whisper »

"A geography lesson he seeks," she cackled to herself. Her sightless eyes sought out his as she gave an enigmatic smile. "Half a man he is. Born with a mouth in the Mouth. Seeking magic, he won't find at the point of an arrow. No he won't." She seemed to be delighted in amusing herself.

Like a dark cloud passing over her face, the childish smile vanished. "A whisper. A dark whisper. Have you heard one? Tell it to us and we shall tell you of the lands you mean." The smile became more hungry as her tongue traced a line across her rotted teeth.

Post by Guest »

Half a man, yes, that was an accusation appropriate to her speech. The extent of her knowledge deepened before him and he ventured to fathom the list she contained, from which she'd draw another fact no doubt to cut him with, to reduce him further into compliance. He desired an alternative but did not think to turn and leave. His options all began with answers, and the answers ranged from truth to outright lies.

The truth was this: he could not begin to remember what she asked him to. She asked for a whisper: he'd heard none. He remembered the arrow in him, projecting like an odd quill. The compliance with pain was nearly total then. It forced him to his knees; it coiled his fingers hard round the arrowshaft, sucked his efforts out for nothing.

The blood was leaking in a thick stream. It had been leaking out, but he could not see it. He'd felt the blood course down his body and his knees made tracks in the mud it formed with the dirt. He had prayed for the mothers. They never spoke to him but he did not expect them to, he only cried like a child, cried out to Death to stop the thrashing body beside him, to force it into submission.

"I never heard anything, I can't tell you what I haven't heard," he said. "What whispers? I thought you knew what you say."
Dark Whisper
Special Branch

Post by Dark Whisper »

"Know what we say? Yes yes, we do. Collectors we are, but not of things. No, we collect whispers. Tell him, yes. Dark whispers are the most precious, they are. We enjoy them like you fine wine, yes? No whispers? No love he has, no friend to betray. Pity the man we do." She paused to appraise Isaac.

"Would he repay us after he leaves, we wonder," she asked almost rhetorically. "If we tells him his wish, would he tell us a secret later, if we appeared to him in King's Court?" This time her question did not seem rhetorical.

Post by Guest »

"Repay you?" he said back. He turned halfways from the old woman. He remembered Wavlyne, finally. It was delayed. There was a lapse in her image, when her mouth opened to tell him in the woods which way was safe. He examined the expression, he gazing aside with bitterness, of the young woman on their last journey, knives in her clothes and twitches in her movement, and of her attitude- its shape took its first form in the search. Her clothes came back, her weapons, and her expression, and her words condescending to his station. They were alone and she told him to leave or die.

He was aware of the words; they were the worst, the faintest, to hear over again, and they were new impressions. Wavlyne vanished and he did not know where to. He was ashamed and at the same time wished so fervidly to know, to present his outrage with her identity and satisfy it.

"I know one thing," he said, "I know what Wavlyne told me. She said, 'There is a smuggler here, and he hides his wares among the other wagons easily enough.' I don't know who. I don't know what. I just know a terrible thing happened, and we were lost to what may have been she. The wagons. It may have been her. She could have been traitor to us."
Dark Whisper
Special Branch

Post by Dark Whisper »

"Wavlyne a bad one then? Yes yes, beware. Yet, more than smugglers you will meet. Perhaps you forget her, yes? Another will come who will cause you to forget. Yes, old eyes do not lie." She cackled to herself as if quite pleased with her words. Likewise, she savoured the small morsel of information Isaac gave her.

"You would know what is west of west, yes?" she began, though waiting a moment for him to correct her. "Then what you wish to know is East, yes? Eastern Kingdom ... Eastern Empire. Great mystery, though not for long. No. None can escape the dark shroud. There is a woman in your city from there. Perhaps you will meet, yes?" Her head bobbed up and down as if it might be a distinct possibility.

"Now leave us. You have given us a fig for a fig. There is another who approaches this cave. Questions always questions, but the answers, half man, are in the whispers. Listen. listen in the shadows for the whispers. They are the threads of the web that will guide your way." She turned her back to Isaac and the flame, muttering something about too many visitors and the need to straighten up her cave.

Post by Guest »

Isaac waited without apparent sense of the dismissal. He rose and gathered his coats about him and left.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre
Wolf, Commander Emerald Guard

Post by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre »

OOC: May I join this thread?
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Dray slowly approaches the woman, not wanting to appear threatening. "I must admit I was searching out adventure as I entered this cave." He smiles. "Happily, I suppose I won't be needing this for now." He places his bow across his back. "Price? My body bears the scars of many prices paid...I suppose for answers, another price to be paid is inconsequential. Name what you ask of me my lady."
Dark Whisper
Special Branch

Post by Dark Whisper »

The woman turned to face the new guest and Draydis could see from the milky eyes that she appeared to be blind. "A mercenary and now a soldier," she mumbled more to herself.

"Oh yes, there is always a price ... always, but we cannot name one till we know of what you seek. Information for information; the cycle must be fed, yes? Tell us then what you would know," she urged with a voice more comfortable cackling than using a soothing cadence.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Dray smiled at the woman, not certain of her riddles, but curious as to what she may know...there was just something about her...

"I seek to prepare myself to defend the new family which has embraced me in hopes that I will not fail like I did before. I have scars of the mind and body that still haunt me as a reminder of my inability to stop the orcs..." He trailed off, not realizing that he had failed to ask a question.

A glint of mischeif hit his eyes, "I seek to join the assassins of the Guard and learn their ways so that we may execute first strikes against our enemy and cripple their abilities before an attack even occurs. I would like to start a new branch of soldiers...one that is responsible for tactical strikes against our enemy in hopes of disrupting their offensive abilities." He suddenly realized that this woman may have no interest in his military goals and aspirations. "I must apologize my lady, that probably was not what you were asking of me."
Dark Whisper
Special Branch

Post by Dark Whisper »

"A family failed ... another abandoned, yes? A brother gone, with your lady, yes? You make for King's Court, thinking it safe ... a message to carry, yes? Yet things are not as they seem. Though a cousin sits on the Regent's throne, the city hardens its heart against the defenders of the glades. Green and white clash and, in the confrontation, grow silent. Things are not as they seem, no, friends are enemies and the reverse, we see it." Though blind, she was looking at him squarely.

"An assassin's blade you would forge, but one needs a target. Entropy rises young soldier, with the darkness. An enemy unknown cannot be stopped, yes?" Abruptly, she turned away from him, reaching her hand towards the fire that still blazed brightly.

"A secret you owe us, yes. Tell us, with your own lips, of the farewell. Tell us what was said ... exactly." It was akin to a musician who knew the notes, but was eager to hear the melody played by another.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

"I have had many a farewell, some which were uttered directly, some which were silently prayed to the spirts of those from the past. Of which do you ask?" The woman's statements made little sense to him right now, and he was utterly perplexed. He did make a deal however, and he would keep his part of the bargain.
Dark Whisper
Special Branch

Post by Dark Whisper »

"No ordinary goodbye would interest us young soldier. No, a separation from your brother hunter and a lady who rejects a silver torque. It is her words that interest us. With precision should you recite the words, each one being a delicate whisper on the winds." The crone turned from the fire and faced him again, awaiting the accounting.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Dray smiled, "A seat, if I may...for I remember a rather long conversation at that parting." He took a seat across from the woman after she gave permission, and after a deep breath, began to remember that day.

"I stood alone in the forest. The pirate captain, his guard, Elevie, and Thrandil had already headed back towards the ship. I remained with my equipment, taking in the nature around me and seeking the Mother for guidance. I remember the smell of the trees around me, and had a sudden pulling on my spirit to remain. Without hesitation, I put on my armor, gathered my weapons, and went to give my farewells." He paused for a moment, unsure if he was giving the story as the woman wanted, but continued anyway.

"I joined the others on the shore, and told Thran that I had to return with word that Elevie was safe. I promised to keep the name of the Attica safe, and not compromise Elevie or Thran's location. I did this because I told Elevie that I would not want another to interfere with my freedom and my choice to make decisions as I see fit." He smiled as the memory of the day became a bit clearer.

"I remember trading axes with the captain of that pirate ship. When I first boarded, I had many thoughts of how I would end his life and the lives of all those on board. Over the time that we were on the ship, he extended many courtesies to all of us, and as his word which was given, returned all our property when we were taken to shore. I spoke to him about honor and of men's words. A man of his word must be respected, and that is why I still carry his pirate axe." Dray looked down at the axe on his belt and suddenly remembered his brother that he had left behind.

"I then turned my attention to the brother I've never had...to the brother I left behind and abandoned that day." Dray's voice cracked slightly as he held back emotions that wanted to flow free. "I told him that I have never had a brother, and I considered him to be that to me. i told him that I had to return and give word that Elevie was safe, and that she has chosen to remain away for the time being. I continued by saying that I do not know what awaited me when I refused to give her location, but I would not interfere with her own free will. I told him that I knew he would remain with Elevie and make sure that I could say with certainty that she would remain safe. I then removed one of the quivers that I made with my father before he died, and gave it to Thrandil. I told him that I made it with my father, and I wanted him to have it as a token of our friendship and the bond that we share. I told him that he knows more than anybody the significance I place on family, and I wanted him to have a constant reminder that he has a brother not only in arms but also in spirit. I said that I am certain that our paths will cross again one day, but for now, they must split. I was born in the forest, and that is my home. The spirit of the woods calls to me, and on land is where I belong."

Dray paused for a moment, gather his thoughts once again. He focused on the crackling of the fire briefly before continuing.

While still looking into the twisting flames, Dray continued...”I remember a feeling of pain at that moment. I turned to Elevie, and told her I would deliver a message back to her family for her, and I would not interfere with her desire to stay behind, even though I knew I was failing in my mission to return her. I told her that I would tell her family that she chose to stay where she was, and that Thrandil stayed behind to make sure she was safe. Elevie became frustrated, as she did not have any parchment to scribe a message onto. She told me to tell her cousin Draesl exactly where she was, but no other. She indicated that I should tell the others that she was travelling, but nothing more specific than that, and should I come across her brother, Eareborn, I should tell him that Elevie’s family owes me a debt.” Dray smiles at that thought, and how it sounds so silly for the meager task he did to obtain such a prize.

“She suddenly then grabbed my hand and told me to seek her father in Hallowhaven or Eareborn should I not be welcomed properly by the rest of her family.” He chuckled a bit. “I told her that I was owed nothing and that it was a service I would give to anybody in my new family. I told her that I had lost my birth family, and the Guard was my new one. I said it was my purpose to defend those around me and make sure that they all remain safe.”

He holds out his arm to look at the scar which still remained. “I then found a stick, sharpened it with a knife, extracted a scabbard from my pack, and sliced open my arm, allowing Elevie to scribe a message that I would deliver on her behalf. I know not why I took those actions, only that it seemed appropriate at the time.” He laughs a bit now, “I remember apologizing for not being better prepared. I guess I felt it my duty to be ready to serve no matter what the task may be. So that day, I was to provide my lady with ink that she needed. I promised her that I would not stop until all her messages were delivered, and only asked that she ensured that Thrandil would remain safe in exchange. The captain of the Attica then gave us word that their watering stop was complete and they were headed out. He bid me farewell and told me to look them up should I ever return to the Mer again.”

Dray returned his arm to his side, thinking once again about the remainder of the events which led up to the final farewell. “She looked a bit surprised at my offer of ink, but quickly scribed two messages that day, and instructed me to give the one bearing her own personal glyph to Draesl in Kings Court...the second to the Queen in Taloh. I fear that meeting, as when Elevie gave me that instuction, her face showed a look of concern. She told me farewell, and that swift travel and tall trees awaited me. I told her that I would deliver all her messages as requested, and that she could have faith that I would not fail. With that, she was gone.”

Dray swallowed hard, as he knew his recount of the events was drawing to an end...an end which was still difficult. “Please give me a moment. I realize I have yet to get to the part which you seek as repayment for my question.” He takes a couple long breaths to gather his thoughts and keep his emotions in check. “It has not been that long since I left my brother...and I still feel as if I have abandoned him. Duty or not...sometimes I think orders must not be followed. Perhaps I learned that lesson a bit too late.” Dray shrugs, not knowing if the woman cared.

“I told Thran that I was torn on my decision, but that somebody had to get back and give word that Elevie was safe. I told him that I was looking forward to having the honor of defending our people against orc incursions again at some point in the future, as we had in the past. I remember rattling the orc tusks in my pouch and making a comment about seeking out enough to finish my necklace, and also about learning more from the training in the Guard despite the tremendous amount all the trainees had learned in our short time with the Guard. I smiled at that point....not because I was happy about leaving, but I had memories of hunting the orcs in the past....seeking my revenge. I also remember tears forming in my eyes shortly thereafter....remembering how Thran and I had fought back to back in so many of those fights, making sure that we would both live to see another day. I remembered the security I had in his presence, knowing my back was always defended, and no matter what, I could trust my friend. After a few moments of those thoughts, I told him that I would miss him horribly, and called him my brother.

I do not know if he knew what path I would take, but he replied only with, ‘fair enough’. As I gave him my quiver, I remember him saying that none of his belongings would do me any good, but promised that one day he’d give something back in return. He wanted me to tell Theorn and Derron that he would miss their guidance and that he would stay by Elevie’s side as a loyal Guardsman until she chose to return home.

I replied that I did not give the quiver with expectations of something in return, as I have the memories of the short time he and I had together. I then wished him a quick and safe return.

Then he took my knife and made a cut in his own hand. He told me, ‘leave a brother physically to go back to your new family, Draydis Quinn d’Anorre, but never dare to leave him like a friend.’ That really hit me hard. I knew at that moment, that I had a friend for life, and he cared for me as much as I for him...though we were not born as brothers, we had become brothers.” Dray smiled at the memory of their blood joining together as they embraced arms, and made their final farewell. “As our blood mixed, I told him that we were now brothers joined in blood. I told him that leave as I may, it was never intended to be only as a friend. I promised to deliver his messages only if he would promised to take care of himself.” The sensation of betrayal then hit the wood elf again. “I then felt like I was abandoning him...betraying a friend....being selfish even perhaps.” Dray thought for a moment about what happened next, and then the image of the boat sailing away hit his mind.

“My brother then returned to the boat and gave me a salute. We often communicated in Ancient Elven hoping that most people around us would not understand our words, and he told me, ‘Emerald Forever, my brother’, as he gave his salute. I shouted that I’d be in le bois noir hunting orcs should he wish to rejoin me, and may Mother bless him in his journeys. I returned the salute, and replied back in Ancient Elven, ‘Elven Fury!’.

As I bound the wound on my arm, picked up my bow in one hand, the bladed staff in the other, Thran yelled one last reply, ‘for our mission to be completed to it’s fullest, I might die trying, but I’ll do my best to stay alive, brother.’ That statement hit me hard, as I knew he was as dedicated to succeeding as his mission as I was...and he would rather die than fail. I didn’t reply, as I was fearful my voice would crack, and the tears would come. Instead, I looked around the beach to see if there was anybody around who would accompany me on my journey....and there was none. I was alone. My brother and I were separated, and we each had our duties to fulfill.

I then went on my way...”

Dray waited in silence to see if his recount had satisfied the woman...

He remembered the scabbards that he still carried...and pulled them from his pack. He carefully unwrapped them and looked once again at the text scrawled on their surface in his own blood. "I know not their message, but I know I will be their messenger."
Dark Whisper
Special Branch

Post by Dark Whisper »

The Watcher seemed to feast on every word he uttered, as if it were either poetry or a tasty morsel of food. There were some things she could see, and some she could not. For her it was like observing a mosaic, but never being able to enjoy the individual tiles. Draydis was providing her a tile by tile picture. She found herself nodding involuntarily.

"Yes, yes," she hissed. "Clearly we see it, A worthy telling it was, and therefore a worthy trade." Once again she turned her back on her visitor and looked again towards the blazing fire, while she grumbled something to herself. It was unclear as to whether she was dismissing him, or had become distracted.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Dray smiled and nodded...then watched as the woman looked into the fire. He had many more questions...what would happen to Thran, would he be accepted into the assassins training of the Guard, even his most recent thoughts of finding a wolf cub came into his mind. He let the thoughts dance around in his head while he peered into the flames himself, as if trying to make sense of their chaotic dance.

"I'd be happy to trade more tales, m'lady."
Dark Whisper
Special Branch

Post by Dark Whisper »

There was a pause before the crone seemed to hear him. "More tales he says. More questions. Always more questions. One per visitor, normally, I say, but your story was finely wrought. One more perhaps ... if there be a dark secret that none but the night air has heard. Yes? Tell us young soldier. No simple tale will have us satitisfied. No. It must be one that one fears to tell, under cloud of darkest oath. Yes?" It was an invitation of sorts, but she was looking obviously for secrets as opposed to bardic tales.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

"I thank you for your generousity, but I fear that I do not understand your request...perhaps a hint at what it is you seek, and I will give willingly. I do not know of a secret which you seek..."
Dark Whisper
Special Branch

Post by Dark Whisper »

"Do not know secrets, you say?" she blurted in response. Then in a coarse whisper she added, "we all know secrets. Some be petty. Some be grand." She cocked her head at an angle as if listening to a faraway voice. "They beg in the darkness, if you listen, for secrets that are beyond their reach, yes? Can you hear them?" She paused a while as if to listen. Draydis could hear nothing of note.

A neutral observer might think that she had gone quite mad, but after a dramatic pause she seemed to realize Draydis' presence and she straightened her posture. "No, he does not hear," she mumbled, more to herself. "None pray for common knowledge, do they?" It took a moment to realize that perhaps she was being less than clear.

"If a man were to ask you your greatest secret, young soldier, what would be your reply?"
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Dray was confused...he didn't really have a secret that was great. "I know that I will tell the Queen a lie about the location of Elevie...I know I told Netean that I'd return for her, and I don't know if I'll ever be able to do that...I know that I failed my friends and my family when the orcs attacked my tribe, as I just stood...paralyzed with fear while they were all slaughtered." He shook his head. "I can tell more about any of those...I just am not sure of which you are referring."
Dark Whisper
Special Branch

Post by Dark Whisper »

"Do any know of your failing your family young one? Does the pain still haunt you?" she asked in the merest hoarse whisper. "Yes, it does, we see it. Tell us of the darkest memories and your greatest shame, for to hear it on the lips of others would spell your ruin." She looked far more animated as she spoke and awaited his reply. She wet her dried lips in anticipation.

Return to “Kanthrop Archive”