Grand Conjunction 7: In The Wake of Shadows

Moderator: Mods

folderol

Grand Conjunction 7: In The Wake of Shadows

Post by folderol »

(( Timestamp - Samheen 13th - early, Tradetide ))

As Val approached the buildings of the Purple Guard, he saw the soot and stains from the fire only a few weeks earlier. The entire place stank of charred wood, burnt grass, and a few things not mentionable.

The veteran sergeant, Sergeant Piper, beckoned him into the building. “You get used to the smell after a while, and it is much better than it used to be.” He mentioned by way of welcome. The sergeant led Val upstairs into Sword Hall. “Your new quarters will be on the second floor here. They are comparable to what you had when you were in training. I will see to it that a fresh uniform is brought up to you. Take a few minutes to get yourself presentable – you will need to venture into officer country within the mark.” He advised.

OOC - A repost to clear up troubles with the other forum.
valsert
Sergeant of the Purple Guard

Post by valsert »

Since the day his feet left the solid ground of the Purple Guard, Val worried that his return would bring back the vividness of the evil he had fought and the memories would overwhelm him with despair. Yet as he entered the compound and began to remember details of the battle, the flaming inner calm within him stayed steady. Allowing him to see mistakes which he had made and to learn what should have been done in there stead.

Pausing briefly he looked to where he had found his sword, the sword he still carried at his side, and gave silent thanks to wisdom of Illuminatus, and even a quick thanks to Ithrainne for his luck on the trip home.

Val nodded to Sergeant Piper, as he was led into his new quarters. The thought of the many jests he had shared with his friends brought a grin to his face.

“Thank you Sergeant, I will be ready when summoned. I know it is not my place to ask you for a favor, but could you see that the Captain here is shown to the healers for attention? And I do not know if these days one must have papers to travel in the city, but if so…… he has earned the right.”

After the Sgt. Had taken his leave, Val put on his new uniform and sat down on the cot to await his summons. Never having been trained or told what meditation was, he would not call that what he did, but his soul searching and clearing of mind must have bordered close…at least.
folderol

Post by folderol »

Sergeant Piper beckoned Captain Andrenescu over to him. The two men exchanged a few words as Val walked to his new quarters.

Only a few flickers passed, before a lilac knocked quietly at Val’s door. “If you will follow me, I will take you to the Captain.” He said by way of greeting. The recruit remained quiet as the two walked through the halls of the Purple Guard. The lilac stopped outside of a room.

Val was able to hear a few subdues voices through the heavy oak door. Attached to the door was an intricately carved sign that read, “Captain Roarsch.” After approximately a quarter mark, the door opened and Sergeant Piper exited the room.

The veteran guard spoke, “You may go in, Val.”

Inside, Val saw a vaguely familiar face. Behind the desk sat a hawk nosed officer. The same officer that Val had to serve that dinner so very long ago, when the recruits were disciplined for some minor infraction. The man spoke with a wheedling tone in his voice, “Enter,” he glanced down at his notes, “Lilac Val.” He stood and waved Val into the office. “Welcome back. Would you tell me about what happened?”
valsert

Post by valsert »

Val entered the room and gave a brisk salute to Captain Roarsch, glad that he had not forgotten his courtesy training while away.

“Sir, thank you sir. Lilac Valsert requests permission to be seated sir.”

He waited for the permission to be granted before taking a seat, although he did not relax in the chair, but moved to a seated position of attention designed to ease the weight on ones legs while still alowing proper respect to an officer. Then set into his tale of adventure.

“Sir, I regret to inform you of the death of Captain Gillfrey, and the loss of all others who were taken on the day of the attack. Captain Gillfrey was laid to rest in a clearing within the forests of the island of Kislovan.” Val waited a moment out of respect before he continued with the report.

After telling in great detail of the strangeness of the departure, the oddness of the flying house (the luck of which surely must have been the work of the god Krynsathis), and the crash landing in the wilderness, he produced the papers Count Veshengo had kindly given to him.

“I know Sir that this tale is odd, and that I am the only one to return, according to Sergeant Piper. Yet I offer this to help ease your mind that what I say is true.”

Standing, he handed the papers to the Captain, and then reseated himself to continue.

He began again, telling the rest of the story. The tower and its strange Count, then on to the village where the good ship Laika and his new friend Captain Andrenescu joined him, and the hard won fight at sea against the pirates. Val nearly lost his military bearings as he recanted how he thought he felt presents of the gods and there works among the people of the world, but quickly regained his composure and finished his report.

“That is all that has happened during my travels. I worked hard to get back here, to the Purple Guard and the Citadel…. Yet there is strangeness here, something dark seems to have a hold here. Talk of full dungeons and nighttime raids. Sir. Have I come back to the place I hold close to my heart, to find it on the brink of collapse?”

His tale told, his question asked, Val sat and waited for what ever might come next.
Last edited by valsert on Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
folderol

Post by folderol »

Captain Roarsch nodded, “Yes, there does appear to be some variety of darkness at work here. I believe the attack on the guard that fateful night was the prelude to a larger conflict. As the Purple Guard, we are the defenders of Caesar and the Citadel. Striking a blow at us, was also a blow against Ceasar.”

The hawk nosed officer got up and paced with his hands clasped loosely behind his back. “What are your thoughts about that odd count? Do you think he might be in league with those attacking us? Or, do you believe he may be brought over to our side in this impending war – and I do think it is a war that is brewing.” He explained.
valsert

Post by valsert »

Val sat in thought for a brief moment, thinking on what he had seen and heard while in the presence of Count Veshengo. While the chance encounter was indeed odd, in his mind everything about the trip added up to innocence for the count.

“Sir, I saw nothing that would indicate the Count would be in league with enemies of the Citadel. If he were, then not even I would have been able to leave that island.”

After giving a short description of the travel by ship, and the layout of the islands lands, which he saw, Val continued with his thoughts on the subject.

“I do not think that who ever started the fire storm was able to completely control its movements. It traveled north by northwest and lost power as it went, until our landing. As for the Count being brought to any side in any war would seem a small victory for whatever side he did choose. The land was mostly of farming villages and there were no signs of any standing military. Although he did have a few weapons in stock, they were mostly crude and out dated.”

Val began to lift himself from his seat in order to stretch his legs, but stopped and sat down again when he remembered the merchants at the gate.

“At the gates Sir, I over heard some merchants talking about some of their workers that must work only at night, to keep attention from themselves. They were openly disgruntled about the current situation here; no no I would say they were calculating. They spoke of plans, which they had in the works as well. I had approached them to see if I could become involved in the trading of a elven made drink, but their words spoke of treason. Whatever there reasons, they were fearful of the government.”
folderol

Orders at last

Post by folderol »

Captain Roarsch listened carefully to Val’s words. “Trust me, Lilac, it takes much more than just an army to win a war. War is a hungry beast that shreds the best plans of generals and kings, only to spit out men and broken material like a barfly working his way through a bowl of nuts.” He grinned a little at the analogy.

“I realize that you only began your training a few weeks ago. If you ask Sergeant Piper, he could probably tell you a great deal – perhaps even more than you might want to know about war.” The officer mused. “We are protectors of our land, and our ways. Our enemy is not just out to kill us, but to ruin the work of our ancestors. Our enemy’s goal is to subvert the people, raise discontent, and push for a civil war. In this way, our own citizens wreak havoc without any loss to our enemies. They also want us to question our loyalty. Do you, Lilac?” He asked.

“Have you begun to wonder why you are here, and why the Purple Guard is here? A little doubt can cause a great deal of harm. Believe in yourself; believe in your brothers and sisters here in the Guard. Ask yourself, why did you wish to join?” He lectured, and then questioned Val again.

“Did you join in order to help others, protect our land, and become a force of good in this world? I know that is why I joined.” The hawk-nosed officer admitted. “I believe with all my heart that in the ranks of the Purple Guard, from Lilac to Commander, standing shoulder to shoulder, are men and women working to do the right thing. This is what makes our land strong, and why we shall prevail.” He explained.

“If we can gain the assistance of this Count, then we become stronger. A small victory is still a victory. An ally helps us more than just by lending soldiers and weapons. In this time of darkness, if our citizens see that another is willing to support our cause, then we cast a light on that shadow of doubt. We bolster their faith in our way of life, and their belief that Caesar will do what is right.” The officer explained.

“How well do you remember those merchants you mentioned? Do you recall how they dressed, and how they looked? Could you spot them in a crowd?” He questioned Val. “Have you considered that those men might be saboteurs sent here by our enemies?” His voice raised in pitch a little. “I want you to venture out into the city, and find those men. Bring them into custody, so that we can question them. If they are agents of evil, we must find them, and stop their plan.”

“Those are your orders, Lilac. Find those merchants, and arrest them on charges of treason and sabotage.” The hawk-nosed officer ordered.
valsert

Post by valsert »

Val looked Roarsch in the eyes thru the entire lecture, many times he forced himself to swallow his words when his pride wished him to speak, to keep from disrupting the mans rant.

“Sir, I remember them very well indeed. Gunther and Pedro, both clamed to be merchants in the textile market. In fact, I am to meet them tomorrow, at the tailor’s Shoppe.

Sir, I do not know if these men travel with guards when in the city, but I do know that upon entering the gates they handed the guard a small bag. I do not know what was in it, but by the size of it I think it was a bribe.”

Val thought for a moment about what it would take to bring these men in, then continued.

“If guardsmen are seen in the area, around that time tomorrow, these men will not show up. I do ask however, that 4 or 5 guardsmen come with me and remain in the building to assist with the arrest.”

Standing up, val waited for his commanders responce, then requested dismissal to his quarters.
folderol

Post by folderol »

Captain Roarsch rested his hand on his chin. "That might prove very useful indeed, Lilac." He furrowed his brow momentarily. "I have an idea."

The Captain sat on the edge of his desk. "You said that these two merchants are already expecting to meet with you?" He watched Val to confirm his question.

"I believe that you should be able to meet these merchants, Gunther and Pedro, without raising suspicion, until it is too late. If a half dozen Purple Guards were in the area, it is possible that the conspirators might learn of it, and go rabbit. However, if you went alone, or perhaps with only one other, than you could take them unawares." He explained.

"As far as your mention of a possible bribe, I will look into that personally. I have heard rumors that some of our comrades are discontent with their orders. It would seem that they have lost faith in their oaths given to Ceasar and the Guard. This news troubles me greatly." The hawk nosed officer offered.

"I will have Sergeant Piper accompany you on your mission. I feel that this is the best means of tackling this mission." He decided.
valsert

Post by valsert »

Val thought a moment about his task, then ask the remaining questions he had. Once he was satisfied with the plans, he stood….

“Sir, Lilac Valsert requesting permission to be dismissed, Sir.”

Val waited for dismissal, then returned to his bunk. He knew his job the next day should be matter of fact, but still thoughts of it ran thru his head until sleep found him.

Ooc: sorry for the delay..
folderol

Post by folderol »

OOC - I took a little control over Val in this post. I felt that it was justified, considering the early morning fog that everyone tends to encounter when they wake up. In the shadow world between sleep and consciousness, PC's are fair game (specially when they may be a little disoriented with a change of locale). :twisted:

Reply as normal, now that he is awake. Hope you don't mind too much.

<< Timestamp – Samheen 14 th, Morningtide. >>

When the rays of sunlight slipped through the cracks in the window’s shutters and fell upon Valsert’s face, it felt to him as though he only lay down about two marks beforehand. Val could hear the morning activity beginning in the barracks up and down the hall. He could hear the clumping of boots from the floor above, and the sharp bark of orders.

Val’s heart began to thunder like a triphammer, as he snapped to full consciousness. By the time he sat up in his bunk, he realized that the orders were typical – and the barracks was not under attack. Val put the brief flashback of flames and running soldiers to the back of his mind when there was a knock at his dorm room door.

About a flicker after the knock, Sergeant piper entered Val’s room. The barrel chested veteran bellowed, “Get out of that bunk, and go down to the Quad for morning exercises. I know you have been away, but hurry up and get ready to go to work.”
valsert

Post by valsert »

Val leaped into the air as the sargent burst in, and snaped to a sleepy attention.

"Sargent, yes sargent" he said, with one eye open and the other strugleing to spring to life.

Val quickly got dressed and ran to the exercise yard. Not knowing who to report to, he looked around for someone incharge.

OOC sorry for belated replys. Ready for action now.
folderol

Post by folderol »

Val ran down tot he yard, and saw that there were about three dozen Purple Guardsmen in formation. The formation was the open ranks formation used for conducting exercises. Sergeant Piper, the barrel chested veteran was standing in front of the formation. It looked to Val as though they had not yet started anything, and were just getting ready for the morning ritual.

The Sergeant led the group through exercises for a quarter mark, until the entire detatchment was ready for a short run through the Citadel. Sergeant Piper led the group along the streets, past many of the nicer shoppes and residences, and down past the harbor. After three-quarters a mark, the group rounded the last bend, until the Purple Guard Barracks once again was within sight.

The Sergeant brought the group to a halt, and then dismissed them from morning exercises. The group had a chance to clean up, and eat before reporting for their other duties.
valsert

Post by valsert »

Val panted to a halt back in the courtyard atlast. Altho his trip had not made him out of shape, his time with out the normal running had duled his stamina for the task.

He aproached Sargent Piper to bring up the days task.

"Sargent, when shall we meet and where, for todays urgen buisness?"

Val tryed to hide his eagerness to have the job done, but knew he could not..
folderol

Post by folderol »

Sergeant Piper looked down at Val and opined with a cheerful grin, “You are certainly chomping at the bit, eh Lilac?” The veteran continued, “We will meet after a hearty breakfast, then see to the labors of the day. Now, I know what you told the Captain about the merchants, but wanted to know if there was anything else. What was your impression of them, Val? Was there anything you think that might be useful to know, but were not sure enough about it to tell the Captain?” The burly sergeant questioned the junior Guard.

Piper continued, “In any event, take advantage of this piece of advice: No matter how light the patrol or duty, never forget to pack enough to survive a day and a night. You never know what will come up during a patrol, especially a routine snatch and grab.”

The barrel chested man nodded off in the direction of the dining hall. “Go grab some chow, Val. We will leave after breakfast.”
valsert

Post by valsert »

Val looked back at Sargent Piper, surprised that he could so easily read his thoughts.

"Sargent, other then the mention by the mercants, of having workers who needed to work at night, i assume to conceal identity, they just seemed like any other dealers. I believe they would sell there own mother to make a gold. When aproching them, i mentioned that the trade of expensive drink was my intrest."

Scratching his head, val continued

"I do not trust these men, and i think we should take them into custody quickly, and get them to somewhere safe."

Val entered the mess hall, but did not feel like eating much. He grabed a plate of medallion sized pan bread, and found a vacant table to break his fast.
folderol

Post by folderol »

OOC - Sorry for the delay.

As Val ate his light breakfast, he could see Sergeant Piper finishing off one plate of food, and going for another. The second plate was also piled high, and the sergeant attacked it with a gusto.

After breakfast, the Sergeant waited for Valsert down at the quad.
valsert

Post by valsert »

Finishing his small meal, Val stood as he saw the Sargent leave the mess hall. Following him into the quad, he begain to feel a bit uneasy about the sneeky work the day was to bring.

"Sargent, will we have any support today as we bring these men in? or will we be alone in the task...?"

Val thought he knew the answer even before he asked the question, but his nerves felt a bit better talking about the task.

Time seemed to be moving quickly, even tho the wait seemed long. His anticipation for the job today made him want the thing done with quickly.
folderol

Post by folderol »

Sergeant Piper cracked a malicious grin. “Support? For a simple arrest? No, there will not be any support from the rest of the Purple Guard.” The veteran allowed Val’s concerns to grow a moment, before allaying them.

He then leaned forward in a conspiratorial manner. “It is like this,Lilac- we will not get any official support. However, I know some of the troopers who are on patrol in the mercantile sector this morning. The Sergeant of the Guard Mount will not leave us hanging – there will be a few good men keeping an eye out for us. So you should not worry about it. Just take care of your part of the mission.”
valsert

Post by valsert »

Vals jaw droped as Sergeant Piper made his joke about no support, but he quickly recovered from his shock at the mention of assistance.

"I guess we had best be at it then sargent. I dont want to keep these men waiting."

after a moments thought, val asked.. "what do you think will happion to these men? they couldent realy be part of the enemy...could they? I meen they may bribe guards, and cheat people from honest pay, but sideing with something so evil... how could anyone do that"

Val began moving toward the gate, not knowing if it was time to go, but being to nervous to stand still..
folderol

Post by folderol »

Sergeant Piper shrugged. “It is not our job to worry about that, Lilac. Our job is to bring them in, so that smarter men than us can talk to them. Once these merchants start talking, then we will know if they are part of the enemy.” He began, then thought several flickers before finishing his reply.

“How could people do something like that? It is a good question, but I do not have the answer. People are motivated by many different things. For some, they are driven by money, for others power, glory, or patriotism. There is always something, those are just the easiest of the choices, and none of those guesses may be right.”
valsert

Post by valsert »

Val stoped pacing and looked up at the sargent.

"I guess what worries me, is the hate and fear i saw in peoples eyes as we walked here. They look as if WE are the evil ones. What is going to happion when they have had enuf? Riots? Members of the guard killed or missing from foul play?

I know its our job, and I dont question that....but whos orders are we following? Do members of the Purple question these people we bring in?

Sorry Sargent, i dont meen to ask you these questions which you likly dont have answers for, but they are questions that somone should be asking.

at anyrate sarge.. I have two questions that you will have an answer for. When do we move out? and heh, where can we drink afterwards?
folderol

Post by folderol »

The sergeant shrugged. “People will recover their faith in us, when they know that they have nothing to fear from the law. Some will never accept that logic, or have faith that we will do the right thing.”

The burly veteran continued, “As for me, I am following the orders of the captains and other officers. I know many of them well, and have confidence that they are good men, and are doing the right thing. We might never know all the details or reasons for our orders. We merely have to trust our leaders, and obey them.”

Piper tried to calm the young soldier, “You should not fear the members of the crowd, but you need to be wary of the crowd itself. As a group, the crowd develops a mind of its own, and takes actions that the individuals would never contemplate on their own. I feel that within our city, there are a few, very few, people here to instigate trouble. They encourage others to misbehave and cause trouble. It is those few we seek.” He explained.

Straightening up he waved towards the gate; “We should be on our way in a few flickers. Furthermore, you should not fret about a good place to drink. I am familiar with a respectable hole in the wall or two that serve up a quality brew.”
valsert

Post by valsert »

The world around him seemed to be brighter, every thing Val looked at was sharper and more defined. Even the morning air seemed to have more feel to it as he took his breath. Val knew it for what it was, blood moving faster thru him making him more aleart, caused by his nerves and anticipation.

"Yes Sargent, Im ready when you are."

Even looking at the stones of the road and the iron pickets of the gate seemed to hold as much detail and cause as much deep thinking, as a night looking at the stars in wonder.

Valsert grabbed hold of the gate as he moved thru, barely feeling the pain as a sliver of the cold metal sliced his hand. Yet once out of the Guards yard, all nervousness left him, and again a stable peace settled on him, and he knew. This job was for good, and it was something the gods wanted done.
folderol

Post by folderol »

The young soldier’s first steps out from the yard were clear. He heard the crunch of gravel beneath his boots, as well as the sergeant’s steady stride beside him. Val fell into step with the veteran without even being aware of it at the time – it was the natural order of things.

Despite the clarity of the day on the onset of his travel, much of the trip was foggy. Val knew that they walked down the large boulevard, but he could not recall any of the faces of the pedestrians that passed him. He walked for what felt only a few dozen flickers when he found himself standing in front of the tailor shop. The display windows were dingy, having collected dust both inside and out. The red velvet suit prominently displayed in the window, was a little faded from the sunlight.

The door to the shop opened and closed with a dainty jingle of a bell. Val snapped back into the present when a store patron left, brushing past him on his way down the street.

Return to “The Citadel proper Archive”