The Antechambre to the Council (Closed)

Moderator: Mods

Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

The Antechambre to the Council (Closed)

Post by Maeve »

The windows and chairs in the room were dressed in the richest burgundy velvet. A golden chandelier hung from the ceiling, which itself was covered in a dainty gilded fresco depicting the ascension of Illuminatius as the oldest son, bringing balance to the Mother and the Father.

This was the Antechambre of the Council of the Seven Isles. People came floating in from the outside through a small hallway. Beyond the Antechamber were the galleries where one could listen to the meetings of both the Greater Council, comprising of representatives of both the commoners and the lords, as well as the Inner Council, elected by the Ceasar to be in charge of the day to day government of the Empire, down in the Arena as it was lovingly called, the Council Room by its more official name. It was whispered that the Inner Council overlapped in part or as a whole with the secretive Inner Circle, the power behind the throne, but one could never be certain who lurked in the shadows.

In the Antechambre people gathered to talk, to seen and above all to be seen. It was the one place in the Empire were the higher class commoners easily mixed with nobles, all intend on furthering their own causes.
Last edited by Maeve on Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]

Post by Guest »

Celestine had decided to take advantage of her time here in the Palace to explore and learn what she could. She was only a student Rose, but she and many others had suffered at the hands of someone here who hated Roses and Panlings, and she felt it was her obligation to use her position as a Page here to learn who was threatening her brothers and sisters.

So she found herself wandering the Palace hallways, and eventually stumbled on this antechamber. She drifted towards a corner to listen and see what people came this way and what she might learn. If anyone had a problem she could always just tell them that she was lost. It was even sort of true. The Citadel was a huge place, nothing like the Rose Guildhall or the Temple of Pan.
Omni Varuna

Post by Omni Varuna »

After making his way through Citadel to the bustling palace Omni found himself a bit lost. He gazed at the Citadel in all its glory and began to wonder if there was an occasion at hand. He soon remembered that the Caesar’s engagement had been announced. He was surprised that there were not more guards present and hesitantly entered into the halls of the palace.

After waiting in puzzlement for a few moments he spotted an attractive elvin woman pacing the halls. She seemed to be exploring the halls too so Omni lingered behind her as she made her way through the palace. She eventually arrived at a large chamber full of well dressed patrons discussing this and that. She entered and set off to somewhere within the room. Omni was in awe at the amount of people, all seeming to have some sort of business in the palace. Fortunately, Omni had worn one of his fancy tunics and would be able to mingle with these people with relative ease. He set about striding through the crowd while looking for just the right person to engage in a pleasant conversation with.
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Post by Ashtallion Urdil »

A man sat in the corner, alone, clad in a long blue/gray robe, a small smile upon his face, a knowing one, a rare one. Greying brown hair hung to his shoulders, though it was held back with a band of grey hue, but most striking of all were the middle aged mans' eyes. A strange and brightly vibrant amber. These eyes watched the room also, not making any pretense about whom he stared at, often resulting in the said person moving out of his line of sight. This most likely brought a wider smile to his lips.

His name was Rorrian Heatheral, a well known name amongst the select few indeed, and often one that was detered from conversation. He was a man of outspoken nature, never hiding any agenda, nor any feeling towards a particular person for that matter. A politician, for lack of a better word, supposedly, but never had he attended the Council Meetings, not argued on matters of state, internally or internationally. Why? No one really knew.

Celestine had entered the Chamber, and the buzz of people talking about differences of opinions, matters of politics and other highly regarded issues, reached her fair ears. Intrigued by the conversations, she had moved around the Chamber, barely noticing the aging man in the corner. He had however, spotted her, and that startling gaze remained fixed on the beauty. It was not her attractive appearance that rooted his eyes though, rather something else.

Rorrian stood in a sweeping gesture and rustling of robes, the silver sash and hemming shimmering in the available light. There was no question as to his direction, and she would see him coming.

Post by Guest »

Celestine was drifting about, trying to keep her ears open as she picked up on the tone of the conversations. Much of it referred to people, places, and events she knew little of, but she still tried to learn by listening.

Then she noticed someone who seemed to be drifting towards her and she smiled. "Good day sir." She noted his silver sash and his bearing and took him to be another Palace functionary.
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

The old man stopped a few feet from Celestine, taking in her appearance and poise as he looked her up from head to toe and back again. " And a good day to yourself my dear Lady. I must say, it is refreshing for these hold eyes to take in something of such beauty.... ", he inclinged his head slightly, offering a small smile, but that twinkle of mischief in his eyes would not be missed by the woman. " I am Rorrian Heatheral.. might I ask your name? If you do not mind the prying nature of this doddering old fool. "

Post by Guest »

Celestine blushed. "You are quite the charmer yourself, Rorrian Heatheral." She curtsied. "I am Celestine Elessia, a new page here in the Palace. What brings you here sir, if you don't mind me asking?"
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

" Oh....nothing much my dear. Simply an old man wishing to be nosey. Find out the happenings of the city and the well-to-do. ", he smiled lightly, there was something more behind his statement, and most likely it would reveal itself in time. " A page you say? Interesting..... with whom are you employed then? "

Post by Guest »

Celestine smiled. "Lord Andolin Azarin, the Master of Protocol, sir. My friend Zhavon and I work for him, but I expect it will probably be a temporary assignment." She shrugged.
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

At the mentioned of the Master of Protocol, Rorrian offered yet another small smile, seemingly trying to hide this one. " Ah, such would make sense..... an ambitious man he is..... ambitious indeed. Done rather well for himself if I do say so, something to admire deeply in one so young, but I suppose I consider many to be young when compared to myself. ", laughing softly, he bowed his head. " Why would you think it be only tempory...surely the Master of Protocol could use the help from time to time?...and losing a beauty such as yourself....well, I dare say he would not wish such. Then again, I am not Lord Andolin, merely an old man whom dodders about the Court. "

Post by Guest »

Celestine smiled and blushed at the compliment. "Thank you sir. But I feel that I will soon be going home, once the current crisis at the Rose Guild settles down. He might ask the Guildmaster to become my permanent patron at some point, but I'm still only a student now. We'll see." She shrugged. "You've met Lord Andolin, then?"
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

He mused on the womans' words for a moment, taking them in and making his own, silent, conclusions. " No my dear, I have not met him as of yet.... though doubtless we will cross paths at some point. I have of course heard much of him, from several individuals. All speak highly of him... ", there was something in his words, not exactly a coldness, but a guarded phrase perhaps? " The Ceaser himself does aswell, obviously, otherwise Andolin would have had greater resistence in reaching such a distinguished station. "

" Perhaps you could give me your own views on the Master of Protocol, I do enjoy hearing many views on the same person. "

Post by Guest »

Celestine frowned thoughtfully. "I don't know. He's rather distant from me really. He's been terribly impatient lately, though it might be the stress of the upcoming wedding and the fact that his previous pages have disappeared somewhere. But I think there is something he wants out of life. I sometimes feel as if he's not satisfied with what he has and he searches for something else, but I don't know what."

She caught herself. "Oh! Sorry, I probably shouldn't have rambled like that. I never really thought about him that much." She looked back at him. "If you'd like, I could introduce you to him. He's busy, but I know where his office is."
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

" No my young lady, that won't be necessary. If my path is to cross with Master of Protocol it will do so of its own accord. I am not one to go out seeking others such as him. ", he offered a cheeky, if also somewhat apologetic, smile. " Though your take on Lord Andolin is interesting.... indeed.... and I give thanks for the words, I will remember them. ", he gestured to the nearest window and started a slow pace towards it, taking her arm in his. " I hope you do not mind an old man taking your arm dear Celestine, but I find myself being overwhelmed and indulged with such charming company and light conversation. "

Once at the window, the small breeze brought an evident relief to Rorrian. " Old age, gets the better of you sometimes... and this chamber can become ever so humid at times with all these bodies stalking it. ", taking a small linen cloth from an unseen pocket, the old politican dabbed his forehead before continuing. " You mentioned something about the Rose Guild Celestine.... how long have you been a Rose Student? It must be a rather interesting place to work, and visit, never having been there myself though.... ", his eyes took on a more steely resolve, his voice lowered. " I had heard whispers of the unrest, and questionings... mere rumours perhaps.... ", he shrugged, though it was obvious he again, knew more than he was saying.
Last edited by Ashtallion Urdil on Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

Celestine smiled, feeling the breeze blow through her shortened blonde hair. "I don't mind at all Rorrian."

At the mention of the Guild, she sighed. "I was only there a week before the Purple Guard burst in and arrested a lot of us students in the middle of Dance class. I wish I could say that the rumors you heard were just rumors." She pointed at her braided hair and then slightly lowered the collar of her dress to show a long slash along the back of it, stretching down out of sight. "But the Guard was most brutal with us, and with all the innocent people who were caught up in their sweep."
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

At seeing the slash upon Celestines' skin, Rorrians' eyes closed and he sighed heavily. " Oh my young dear.... ", he opened his eyes, and there was nothing but compassion and heartfelt concern from those piercing orbs. " And I assume the interigations were no less as brutal. ", it was not a question, rather statement for his own mind if anything. " To marr such beauty, tragic... but still, you are ever a sight for these old eyes. ", another smile in an attempt to lighten the mood which he felt he had brought down. " Och....away from such dark topics, the bring nothing but bad memories and despair. "

" So my dear, are you looking forward to the dinner this evening? I myself am not going to be in attendance, however I do hope to come for a short while after the meal... "

Post by Guest »

Celestine smiled, turned to him, and took her hand from her collar. "Oh yes! I hope to see the Caesar and his bride, and all the nobles. I've never been to court before and it should be exciting. I'll be in attendance as a page, but I'll get to meet people and I think it'll be unforgettable. Lord Andolin has had myself and Zhavon out recruiting musicians and acrobats, and helping prepare the food, so if you can stop by I think you'll like it."
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

" No doubt I will my dear.....no doubt. ", the old man stiffled a yawn with the back of his hand. " Oh, do excuse my rudeness Celestine, these older years take their toll as I have already said, and I finds myself not being able to remain awake for as long as I'd like. ", shaking his head ruefully, obviously remembering younger days. " Never find that though, tell me more of yourself Celestine, if you mind not my prying nature? How did you come to be a Rose..... what attracted you to the Guild? "

Rorrians' eyes slid to the left slowly, watching a few of those over Celestines' shoulder, it was such a small movement, well practiced, that few would actually notice his wandering gaze. At one point, his eyes may have narrowed ever so slightly, having fallen upon a particular gentlemen in the background. Despite this, it was clear his attention still fully remained with the Rose Student and Page to the Master of Protocol.

Post by Guest »

Celestine looked at him in concern. "Are you sure you should be up and about then? Maybe you should rest?

As for what attracted me to the Guild, well, mostly it was because of the stories I'd heard. I come from Kislovan and my life wasn't easy there. My family..." She looked down. "Well, they were fairly wealthy, but hated too. After Mother died and Father had disappeared, I knew I didn't want to stay there with all the gossiping biddies and everything, so I left for the Citadel." She perked up. "And then when I got here, I found the Rose and they took me in. I thought at first that the Rose might be a path to a life of wealth and privilege, but after I got there, I found I didn't care about that. I just wanted to be with my new family." She shrugged and smiled.
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

" A noble and worth while thing my dear.... family and happiness over-ride the comforts of wealth and station any day, I know that all too well. ", he yawned again. " Yes, mayhap I had best go for now, the heat within this place does tire me so. ", taking Celestines' hand in is own, he raised it to his lips, merely brushing them over her skin, not wishing to impose himself upon her. " It was a pleasure meeting you Celestine, and we will meet later on no doubt, once I have rested and gathered by wits about me once more.... ", offering her a small bow of the head, and waited for her own farewells.

Post by Guest »

Celestine smiled and curtsied. "It was a pleasure my Lord. I do hope I see you at tonight's party."
Vanir Alfheim
Priest of Joy

Post by Vanir Alfheim »

Samheen 19th, Late Tradetide

Vanir dressed himself in his dark blue brocade with elegant, black breeches. The ensemble was finished off with a dark blue cloak. He did not often dress so formal, but figured that the palace called for such style. The priest made his way into the anteroom of the palace, a typical place for commoners and nobles alike to relax. He had been given a directive by Eilish to find more followers within the palace. The young adhiel spied the room for young ladies of Court to charm and hopefully convert to his Lord.

Eilish wishes me to come here and use my skills, so here I am. I just wish I had a better idea of what I am supposed to do here. May I do Pan's will in all I do.
[color=green]Jayne Cobb: Shepherd Book once said to me, "If you can't do something smart, do something right." [/color]

Avatar by the wonderful Finn. Much thanks!!
Twilight
Retired staff

Post by Twilight »

There was the usual traffic of petitioners and hangers-on wandering in and out of the Antechamber; those wandering out all shared the same look of disappointment. A Herald stood before the double doors to the Council Chamber, and could be heard confirming on a regular basis that “No, the Caesar is not available today.”

Then a young woman with long, pale gold hair, cool, soft blue eyes, and skin like fine porcelain slipped quietly into the Antechamber behind Vanir. Her hair was elaborately braided in the fashion of the women of Trothgard, the most notable feature a feather fastened high on the braid on her left side, signalling that she was single but unavailable. She was clad in a simple dress of off-white linen, a dress that was far less ornate than those of the women of the Citadel but which showed off her lean, athletic figure to full effect. The sleeves were long, but not the fashionable bell sleeves which would have interfered with the handling of a weapon; the deep square neck was traced with ice blue embroidery in geometric patterns that resembled frost. Around her narrow waist was a low-slung belt of deep blue velvet embroidered in silver, whose end trailed nearly to her feet.

Her relatively simple attire would have made her unremarkable, had it not been for her regal bearing and the natural grace with which she moved. The Herald bowed with great deference at her approach, which she acknowledged with a nod of her head before speaking to him in quiet tones. The Herald nodded his understanding and then bowed once again, and the woman turned as if to exit the chamber, but stopped as her eyes met Vanir’s. In their cool, blue depths there was a flicker of recognition, but her slight frown suggested that she was uncertain as to his identity.
A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

(avatar by Talon Yoseijo)
Vanir Alfheim
Priest of Joy

Post by Vanir Alfheim »

Vanir had not paid much attention to the herald as he was not here to see the Caesar, despite his need for an audience. It would not be appropiate for a Priest of Pan to approach the Caesar in such an open place and ask for a private meeting. Rumors were bound to fly for his very presence, no need to give them merit as well. He looked around the room for those that might be more willing to hear his words and special skills of persuassion.

It was not an ordinary noble lady that caught his eye though, but someone much different. She seemed to be noble or at least someone taught their ways. She carried herself like a true lady, yet something was different about her. He watched her with a curious interest as she walked around the room and spoke with the herald. The bard could have watched her move for some time had she not turned in his direction, her eyes meeting his own. He smiled politely and kept his eyes focused on her.

You can be so foolish sometimes, Vanir, and quite careless. You may have gathered quite a reputation here, but there is nothing suave or debonair about you right now. She has caught you watching her, although she doesn't seem insulted. Well, I suppose it is too late to back out now. Does she know me? She looks at me as if we have met before. Have we? Thoughts race through the bard's mind as he walks slowly towards, a soft smile on his lips. He does not want to frighten her off or seem like a typical panling. She is a mystery that he wants to know more about. Is it possible that I can't even remember someone I have met before? Surely I have not become so lost in my days that I would forget someone so striking. It is time to find out.

The sweet voice of the skilled adhiel reaches out softly. "Excuse me, my lady, for my rudeness. I was just a bit entranced is all, so at least allow to make up for it in some small measure. My name is Vanir Alfheim, a bard and a priest. Might I have the pleasure of your name as well?" He bowed lightly to her, even though he was not sure of her actual title.
[color=green]Jayne Cobb: Shepherd Book once said to me, "If you can't do something smart, do something right." [/color]

Avatar by the wonderful Finn. Much thanks!!

Post by Guest »

He was watching her. At least he seemed to be. Now Aesa was certain she had seen him before, but the past few days had been such a blur of activity and surprises that she could not think where or when. As she moved toward him, he spoke to her and her pale blue eyes lit with recognition.

“Master Alfheim,” she replied in cool, soft tones, nodding in response to his bow. “Have you a title I should use?” Aesa was still learning the complex protocol of the Citadel and she had found that asking was wiser than assuming, and the Priest’s voice was gently encouraging.

With a cool smile, the young woman continued, “I am Aesa da’Yrsa, betrothed of the Caesar.” Her voice was even, but there was a sadness and uncertainty in her eyes. The art of the courtly mask was something she had not yet learned.

Return to “The Citadel proper Archive”