University of Magick - Entrance Thread

Moderator: Mods

Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"You are most welcome to return though if you truly wish an in depth discussion I shall likely refer you to another within the University." The registrar replied. "Good tide to you." He nodded

OOC: Barrett, PM Asht and feel free to start a thread for that. You would either catch him during his class or just after it.

The registrar then turned his attention to the entering Morgan.

"Good tide to you sir. What do you seek here at the University?" As he spoke a fresh scroll unfurled before him and a quill was poised above it ready to write.
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Morg

Post by Morg »

Morgan stayed silent for a few moments, formulating his response. "What most of the youngsters who come here seek," he eventually replied. He removed his hat from his head, placing it on the registrar's desk. "I want to learn of magic," he began to tally on one hand, gazing into middle distance, "of everything which underlies our world, everything which surrounds it, and of those beings that dwell out there... yes, I'd like to get to know them better as well."

He smiled wryly, aware that he was being melodramatic. "Is there any chance of that?" he asked simply.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The registrar chuckled. "If you have the intellect or intution to pair with your curiosity, I should your chances are good indeed. Now, I shall need to know your name, what preparations you have made in anticipation of a life of sorcery and scholarship, and what particualat specialty of magic you are interested in?"

The quill remained poised above the scroll. It shook in place waiting impatiently.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Morg

Post by Morg »

Morgan glared daggers at the quill. He was about to achieve a childhood dream, and he wasn't going to let the moment be spoilt by an uppity enchanted feather that was too impatient for its own good.

"I'm Morgan Scrylock," he said slowly. "Preparations... Well, I've never touched magic, but then again I don't suppose you'd expect me to have done so. I've read everything I could get my hands on - not that that's much, as I lived on a farm in the middle of nowhere - but I know a few things that may come in useful. Know my way around words, numbers, and some of the principles of what magick is all about. Demons, too. You have a faculty of Daemonic Warding here?" It was clear by Morgan's intent expression that this was the answer to the registrar's third question.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"We do indeed though rare it is to have a student inquire after it." The registrar replied. The quill inscribed both Morgan's name and the relevant bits of their conversation as it went along. "You can enter that division through two different paths depending on where your focus lies. You can study Summoning with a focus on Warding, or you can study Warding and defensive magics with a focus on beings from the Nether." The registrar informed him. "Oh and of course if your desire is to best prepare yourself to fight such beings there is the option of joining the Battle Mages instead of the academic paths. Which appeals to you more?"
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Morg

Post by Morg »

"Fight them? To be honest, I'm more interested in talking to them," Morgan replied, the corner of his mouth curling in amusement. "At least, they'll probably provide me with some more interesting conversation than Dortenese beef cattle."

He picked up his hat from the desk. "I think I'll take the first option, if that's fine with you. Summoning, with enough Warding thrown in to keep me alive in the process."
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"If all you wish is intelligent conversation there are safer and far more trustworthy sources than demons." The registrar chided Morgan. "Still, summoning in and of itself is a noble endeavor. Just be aware that the summoning itself is the advanced lesson once you have mastered the basics of sorcery and warding."

The scroll rolled itself up and was joined by a glowing ball of light at a gesture from the professor. "Take the scroll and follow the light. It will lead you to the tower of summoning. Good tide to you, Morgan. Welcome to the University."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Morg

Post by Morg »

If Morgan took the registrar's reprimand into consideration, he didn't show it.

He was happy, even though he'd been told that he wasn't going to be doing any summoning for a while yet. He'd always been one for practicalities, and never one to throw himself in at the deep end without knowing how to swim. Perhaps unlike most his age, he reflected, he was well aware of the virtues of patience and preparation, and they did not jar with his youthful eagerness.

He planted his hat back on his head, raising an eyebrow in surprise at the conjured ball of light, and picked up the scroll, tucking it into a pocket. "Thank you, sir," he replied sincerely, before turning to stride jauntily off after his luminous guide.
Galina Faulkland

Post by Galina Faulkland »

((SH 25, MT))

Galina had heard about the mess in the Outer Ring, and now she had two aces in the hole in order to possibly haggle down the price of tuition. Still, she had a thing for dresses which resembled robes. As finely a tailored blue as it was, the corset flaunted the finer side of her curves, yet kept a high neckline for modesty. A long scarf was traced across her shoulders as she walked up to the gentleman at the desk. She wasn't "Rosey" in her style, seeing as she had her backpack on her back, but put forth a decent attempt at being classy.

She smiled sweetly at the gentleman at the desk, but with a kind of sad expression in her eyes.

"Excuse me, my name is Galina Faulkland. I'm... kind of in a tight spot right now, and with all the chaos that's been going around, I'd like to learn the ways of magic to help defend myself. I... sort of lost almost everything I own. I have a couple crown left to my name, though.

She looked a little sheepish, a small blush running across her face as she continued. Looking a little nervous, she honestly tells them what happened.

"I kind of know how to meditate, but that's about as far as I go with knowing about magic. I'd actually like to learn how to defend myself and maybe learn a trade out of it. I fix clocks and other clockwork sort of things... and well... not many people are in the market for clocks these days."

She looked around casually to see how many students there were. Depending on how much tuition was, there were prospects on people who wanted to make more money because of their situation... or another possibility, that they had a wealthy family or patron get them in.

((The word of the Riots have already scared the bejitters out of her, so her arcane studies will mostly focus on being a Battlemage, and hopefully she'll get to play with portals as she progresses. So here are study priorities;

Battle Magic
Portals (Maybe summoning would be involving that)
Invention (Perhaps a dab in Alchemy)

As all of those skills can make her some decent moolah))
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

OOC: Going to treat your OOC notes as things said IC in the interest of speeding things upa bit.

IC:

The Hall of Ages was deserted at this time of day. The introductory classes sequestered all the recently joined students while the senior students rarely went via the front door. By then they had learned of at least one secret way of coming and going and gleefully used it. Only the registrar gave life to the hall.

The registrar looked up from his desk at her approach and did not seem the least bit impressed or surprised at her style of dress. He opened his mouth to speak but Galina launched into her spiel before he could ask the very questions she was answering anyway.

A wave of his hand sent a quill scratching over a fresh roll of parchment. By the time she was done, the scroll read Galina Faulkland: Meditation trained, clockwork engineer, focused, poised, scared, amibitious. Interests: battle magic, portals, alchemy, and fabrication of magical artifacts.

"Well Miss Faulkland, I must say that was the most coherent and well thought out request for entry I have recieved in quite some time. One would almost believe you doubted your chances of entry." He chuckled lowly.

"Have no fear of price. If you have the talent to be trained here then you can always pay by labor if not by coin. In fact it is quite rare for a student to come to us wealthy. Aristocrats and royalty tend not to give birth to those with the talent. The bloodlines rarely seem to cross." He shook his head to clear it of his musings.

"But that is neither here nor there. As for your studies, I must clarify your interests for Battle Magic is a specific program and discipline of the Univeristy that and may not be what you desire. The Battle Mages have a very rigorous training regimen. They train their mind for magics of destruction or deception on the battlefield and train their bodies in the way of battle with sword and staff. Individually, they are perhaps less adept at magic than pure wizards and less adept at fighting than pure warriors. However, the ways in which they combine those talents make them the elite of the battle field."

The registrar paused a moment. "Their way is not for everyone of course. Offensive and defensive magics are also taught in the academic wizardry programs as an extention of more general principles of magic. Now which of those programs is the one you wish to join?"
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Galina Faulkland

Well...

"Well, if it is one thing I know, it's that I know next to nothing about sorcery. But that's why I'm here, after all!" Galina replied honestly, but with spunk. "I'll be honest with you, I'm also here for business opportunities. When I go for business, people often want my credentials, and so I've putting a lot of thought into this venture. I know people are a little leary about magic users with all the word of demons going around... but I take the chance because of the possibilities."

When he described the Battlemage course, she bit her lower lip and tapped her foot thoughtfully.

"I might be in the middle of a battlefield sometime, but in places of trade, they usually ask for weapons to be put aside or peace tied. If I'm going to learn magics to defend myself, I'd rather be a master of magic."

Galina was in a place where people were looking for opportunity, good for those who have scholared talent and wanted to put it to use.

"I assume that the payment would that come in the way of finding new discoveries and studies for the Acadamy? Obviously knowledge is power, power attracts money, and if you can afford to bring me in for just working, this place also has a lot of money."
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"I think you will find, Miss Faulkland, that once you reach a certain level of power money is no longer of prime concern." The registrar chided her kindly. "However, we have objections to those who seek magic as a route to wealth. You have the right to be paid well for your labors."

The registrar looked at her thoughtfully for a long moment. "I think you should talk to old Navin." He decided. "He practices a rather different form of magic than most here but I think it will mesh with your attitudes and skills well. Though you should also see one of the regular faculty for a more traditional magical assessment as well."

The registrar rolls up the scroll with her name on it and hands it to her. "Just follow the ball of the light." With a twist of his wrist, said ball of light appears before her. "I wish you good luck, Miss Faulkland."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Galina Faulkland

Excellent!

"Thank you, good sir! After all, wealth doesn't always mean material things, does it?" Galina smiled, waving goodbye.

Taking the scroll happily, she walked where the ball of light led her, rather curious about the ball and where it led! She hoped that she would learn that spell quickly to cut the costs of burning the midnight oil. Naturally excited, she couldn't wait to meet this new fellow and learn some of the ways of sorcery!
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Your story continues here Galina.

https://tazlure.nl/board/viewtopic.php?t=10720
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Marlight

New Arrival

Post by Marlight »

Marlight slowly approached the front gate in sheer amazement his mouth dumbfoundedly gaping at this wondrous sight. He never expected it to possess such a commanding presence. Placing a hand above his eye in an effort to shield his eyes from the sun, he squinted his pale green eyes and furrowed his brows and began to travel upwards, and his gaze was riveted to each spire, conjuring feelings of awe within Marlight.

As he collected himself, he began to head through the square.

I hope there are not entrance exams. I don't even know the slightest shred of magic. Ohhhh, I'll never be accepted, I just know it.

He continued to walk towards the entrance, stumbling occasionally due to his nervousness. Catching a slight glimpse of several students having a small lunch and enjoying a leisurely conversation seemed to faintly ease the burden of his anxiety. He hurried inside as if someone of great importance was expecting him and approached the front desk, butt not before promptly tripping over his own foot. Advancing towards the desk he repeatedly apologized to the person poised behind the desk, not knowing what for. Then he stood, waiting for he person to say something to, at least, acknowledge his presence.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The slight thump of his impact into the front desk did shift the piles of scrolls and parchment atop the desk. Given the look the registrar fixed upon him an apology certainly seemed in order.

"Can I help you young man?" He inquired. A roll of parchment unrolled at a gesture and a quill dipped itself in an inkwell and poised itself above the scroll. "You have the nervous demeanor of one seeking entry despite fears of inexperience. Do I read you aright?"
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Marlight

Long-winded speech

Post by Marlight »

“Um, that… um yes it... I mean yes… What I mean to say is that that is correct sir. Sorry,” he said as his tongue now became the target of his nervousness.

After this blunder which could remotely be called a sentence, Marlight got a hold of himself and, for the most part, phased out the intimidation of this major event taking place.

“Knowing that this is obviously a Univer -sorry- THE University of Magick,” he corrected himself quickly, hoping that the man had not caught this minor error, though he was aware that simply addressing one of the most prestigious schools of magick as any other ordinary school could be thought of as blasphemy,” you may have a query on what I wish to specialize in, or something of that nature,” Marlight continued,” Well, I can vaguely sense what animals feel, but I lack the knowledge to discriminate whether it is rooted in magick or not, but I do enjoy it none the less. Anyway, what I am particularly interested in is elemental magick, specifically that of air, and also other magicks that may aid me in battle, however suggestions are needed. Lastly, I have an urge to study and use runes; it has interested me greatly despite the few tidbits that I have heard of it. Due to the fact that I’m uneducated in any forms of magick, I am slightly nervous and am therefore ambivalent on the current situation.”

Marlight, once finished with his long-winded speech, realized that he may have said too much or was rude in some way, so again he apologized emphatically. Then, not having noticed before, Marlight’s eyes were slowly drawn to the strange sight of the quill relaxed and ready to write. He never thought that magick could have such simple yet useful applications. As he gazed, he could not discern if the man was talking or not because this was the first time he had seen magick being used, and it was amazing.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Marlight saw moe than the quill being ready to write. As he spoke, the quill inscribed his name at the top of the scroll and jotted down his abilities and interest as he described them.

"Well, Marlight, we can certainly offer you a course of study to meet those needs. Indeed we can offer two depending on your exact desires. The first course would be standard academic wizardry with a focus on elemental magics. The second would be the full Battle Magic training. You would be trained in both physical combat and a more focused regimen of magic courses pertaining to direct combat uses and how to blend physical and magical combat. It is gruelling I am told but those that survive the training are peerless when it comes to the battlefield. Which program interests you more?" The registrar asked.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Marlight

Decision

Post by Marlight »

Well sir, if I may only have one then I must choose....... BATTLE MAGIC sir! I will train my hardest and give it my all. I am so greatful, you have set in motion the the cogs of my fate, dreams, and aspirations. Thankyou so very much. You have no idea what this means to me!

As Marlight went off on this short, but obsequious tangent, his eyes still flitted back and forth between the registrar and the quill, realising that if he could be mesmerized by such a simple use of magick, then there would be much more in store for him.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"Do not thank me yet, young man." The registrar replied with a chuckle. "Your acceptance into the school of battle magic is not my choice. That is in the hands of the Battle General." The registrar rolled up the scroll and placed it into a drawer of his desk. He then made a gesutre with his hand and a ball of yellow light appeared. "Follow the light, Marlight. I wish you luck in your interview."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Marlight

GENERAL?!

Post by Marlight »

Int... itner.. int... inter...view?! With a battle general.

Marlight had thought that he was in and that was it, but now the idea of an interview , not to mention with a Battle General!

sanai (darn it). This, I would imagine, will certainly prove to be a task that will surely require more courage than I have, but if I must, I must.

"
Well then, I should prepare myslef. Thank you, sir, for at least sending me to a person who does have the authority to enroll me. Your luck is much needed. Thank you once again," and with a final bow, Marlight followed the light down the corridor.
Gladyssa

Post by Gladyssa »

Gladyssa tightened the sash around her tunic and pulled a ribbon out of her backpack. She pulled her blonde-brown hair away from her face and tied it.

"Well, you can't go back to Papi now," She muttered. Determinedly, she picked up her backpack and climbed up the steps to the university. The moment she stepped through the large doors her mouth and backpack dropped simultaeneously.

"This is amazing!" She exclaimed, staring up at the high cielings, portraits that adorned the walls and every other thing she could imagine. She spun around, laughing in wonder, around the vast chamber a million and one thoughts rushing through her mind.

'I'm going to live her now,' She thought in awe, then stopped suddenly, covering her mouth as a horrifying thought crept into her mind.

"What if they don't accept everybody here? What if they decide I'm a trouble maker? What if..." Her incessant babbling came to a stop when she realized someone was watching her. She turned slowly, picked up her bag and walked to to where the receptionist had been watching her all the while.

A Step in the Left Direction

Post by Guest »

***OOC***

My first post, so I'm not entirely sure what a good TS would be in Tazlure. Do feel free to assign one and I'll go on from there ;)

***IC***

The University of Magick--this was supposedly the place that Sorryn's father had been visiting when he had the fling with his mother. Growing up, even as but a servant to his mother's family, Sorryn had been told of his father and his amazing mastery of the art of sorcery. Whether it was but tales from a woman that so resented her decisions or true fact Sorryn could not have guessed. Either way, for the past eight years Sorryn had been forced to scratch out a meager existance on the streets of the Inner and Outer Rings. Each day his eyes were drawn to the spires of the University, though he managed to convince himself each and every time that such a place would never accept him.

Such thoughts, of course, came from his mentor Galvin, a thief that had taken the young boy under his wing but days after he was thrown into the streets by his family. Galvin trained the halfbreed to be his go-boy, using him to get to things he couldn't get to by himself. Sorryn would speak to Galvin about his dreams of becoming a great soceror like his father, but the old thief shattered those dreams each and every time, speaking of how such a place would never accept a vagrant as a student. The last words Sorryn had spoken to Galvin, however, was three years ago, right before the man was caught in a scam by the Purple Guard as the made their way through the city. Sorryn escaped, but nothing was ever heard of Galvin's fate.

Either way, Sorryn stood before the great entryway to the University, having made his way passed the square, almost scared that someone would openly comment on his appearance or send him away. He managed to make it passed the students and practitioners, however, and when passing through the gates, the halfbreed nearly faints from what he sees. The city streets and rooftops could hold a candle to the light of wonderment that was the University's Hall of Ages. The young thief could do nothing but stand there, slackjawed at the University's feeling of power and importance.

Perhaps seconds had gone by, but to Sorryn it felt like candlemarks. It was with much mental strength that he made himself look towards what appeared to be a receptions desk, the haggardly dressed rouge feeling even more out of place upon eyeing the clothing of the man behind it. Approaching the man, the Achadhiel rubbed his hands together very uncomfortably. "Excuse me sir. I have come in search of a place to learn the great art of Sorcery, much like my father. I know I don't look like much, but I'm a quick learner, and would have no problem working for the University in exchange for lessons."

Sorryn's eyes looked at the man with an almost pleading gaze, but he would never admit to it. This was his lifelong dream, and for years he had been told he could never make it inside. Granted, he had never tried before, but it took a lot of courage to face the fear that was the Great University. Awaiting the man's reply, if any would come, Sorryn continues rubbing his hands and fidgeting.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

OOC: Marlight, your story continues here:

https://tazlure.nl/board/viewtopic.php?t=11031

OOC: Gladyssa and Sorryn, you have arrived at the registrar at the same time just after Marlight left.

Timestamp, Samheen 25th MT

The registrar was about to inquire of Gladyssa her purpose in being here when Sorryn approached and made his own request for entry into the University.

"If you have the talent, the University will find a way for you to earn your keep." He informs them both with a smile. A wave of his hand sent a pair of quills to hover above two scrolls that unrolled before him.

"Now let me have your names, a recounting of any skills you have learned in preparation for your education here, and what kind of magics you hope to learn during your time here." The registrar and the quills awaited their response.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Gladyssa

Post by Gladyssa »

Gladyssa looked up at Sorryn then turned to the registrar.

"My name's Gladyssa," She said cheerfully. "Um...I've had some rudimentary alchemy. The magick I'd like to study...? Well, I would like to study as a battle mage - or atleast look into it. I don't think I could do anything else with out destroying something."

Absently, she tucked a strand of blonde-brown hair behind her ear, then without thinking poked Sorryn in the waist.

"You're kind of thin, you know that?" She told him with a grin.

Return to “The Citadel proper Archive”