Deep into that darkness peering... :Dorian Drake Samheen 16

Moderator: Mods

Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Wrapped in her husband's arms, Maranda lay her cheek to his chest and drew strength from his presence, his stability. It was silly and selfish of her, she knew, to be so upset inside the hospice, but it wasn't something she had control over.

"Yes, I know," she wrapped her arms around his waist and sighed. "It is just so.. awful, Dorian. Why would someone do something like that? Do you think they knew who... what she was?" Overhead, the sun peeked through a hole in the clouds.

"Such evil in the world," she added picking her head up and looked up at the sunshine. "And it has little to do with the darkness the Mer seem to be worried about," she shook her head slowly.

"Are you still planning to go see them Dorian?"[/list]
[color=hotpink][i]The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

He nodded slowly. "I reckon I should go see them," he said, on the slow walk back to the shack. Enough had happened that it was difficult for him to make the sense of it.

As for evil, he had lived long enough to know that some men were evil, and that it was just the way things were. He held Maranda to him, trying to console her. "We're doing the right things," he said. "She's in a place where she can get healing done proper. Whoever hurt her, they may have known what she was, so we have to hide that skin well."

Elsewise, his plans were to get his nets and gaff, and knife, and go out onto the lake. Perhaps he'd work on his trap-weaving later, but now there were fish that needed to be caught.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

"Yes," the blonde agreed with her husband over hiding the skin. "I'll tuck it in the bottom of my chest, nestled in my mother's chemise that I saved," she hugged his arm and smiled as they walked along to the house.

"Didn't the mer say something about putting the ring in the lake if we needed to talk to them?" she asked slowly, thinking back to their trip under the water, only a few days ago but it already seemed like an eternity. Cat was sitting in front of the door waiting and ran to the couple, meowing around Dorian's feet as they walked.

"I've got sewing I must do," Maranda quickly smooched her fisherman as they approached the door. "I'll hide the skin first though," she smiled and looked up as the sun broke through the clouds again, basking the beach in a line of golden light.

The waters had calmed, the waves sedately lapping up on the shore. Overhead, the gulls drifted on the wind blowing off the water, calling loudly to one another.
[color=hotpink][i]The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

As always, he was thankful for Maranda having more brains than he did. "It's a fine thing you're the clever one, to lead me the right way, wife." he said, smiling at her merrily. "I'll try to be back by dusk, it's a long way to row." Dorian kissed his wife farewell, petted the cat, gathered his gear, and went to his boat. He would go out and try the ring, to talk to the Mer, and there was fishing that needed to be done. If the gulls were hunting, the fish were around, so it was time to row out.

He got into the boat carefully - as he had a hard time going from land to water, and back again. Then he was off, rowing with powerful strokes, heading out across the lake to where he threw his nets. It was later than he liked, but people were more important than fish.

He reflected on what had happened. He'd seen that shadow. The town was still in a bad way, after that Orc attack. He still had never seen an Orc, and didn't mind that lack in his life. The Selkie was news, as was the ship at the strange docking. Redlon talking about the dark coming back, that meant it had happened before. Old Nate had not spoken of it, but then, out on the lake where they were, he'd have little truck with such things anyway. Old Nate only went into town to sell fish or buy what few supplies the lake and shore could not provide.

He rowed, skimming the boat along, and began to sing a song he half-recalled, that he heard in his mother's gentle, musical voice.

"Éirigh suas a Stóirín mur' bfhuil tú 'do shuí
Foscail a' doras agus lig mis' 'un tí
Tá buidéal im aice 'bhéarfas deoch do mhnaoi'n toigh'
Is tá súil 'gam nach ndiúltuigheann sí mé fá n-a nion

Nuair a éirím 'mach ar maidin agus dhearcaim uaim siar
'Gus dhearcaim ar a' bhail' ud a bhfuil agam le ghabháil ann
Titeann na deóra ina sróite liom síos
Agus nímse míle osna bíos cosúil le cumhaidh ..............."
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

As the day wore on, the clouds continued to break up allowing patches of warm yellow sun through to glisten on the gently moving water. Fish were abundant, filling the nets with a heavy wriggling mass of gulping sea life yearning for the cool waters of life.

Keeping a good distance, a midsized sailing vessel flying the Kings Court flags cruised by, sails at full to catch the breeze as they patroled, looking for what Dorian could only guess at. Taking note of the fisherman, a watchman on the deck acknowledged the fisherman as the vessel sailed past. It was several burns before the soft waves from the wake of the ship reached the fisherman's boat, rocking it gently from side to side. Overhead, the gulls eyed the boat containing a potential meal flopping against the bottom.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

"Ye'll wait til I'm at the docks !" Dorian told the gulls, waited until the King's Cross patrol boat was away, and rowed on closer to the Mer's city, then stuck his hand in the water, and splashed it around. Hopefully one of them was about and would come to take his messages.
Last edited by Guest on Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

It took some time. The response wasn't instant but within several burns, a silvery blue head poked up out of the water and squeaked at Dorian before reaching up to touch his arm.

You sent a summons? the thoughts rang through his mind, a female voice.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Dorian nodded. "The town has shadows in some of the buildings, dark things that move," he said. "I saw one but it slipped away. There are pirates in the waters, raiding the coast. A selkie escaped her slavery but was wounded badly, deliberately, when she wore her seal form. She's being cared for. The orcs have caused a lot of damage. The darkness coming....it has happened before, but I have not found out more about the last time, to say anything useful."
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Listening carefully, brows puckered into a frown, the female mer nodded soberly.

This news I will take back to Rein'voir. I am told to warn you of vessels that float in the sky, crossing the water headed to your home, she finished and pointed across the waters to several dark blots in the air.

Also, I am sent with this, she handed him a small green stone strung on a tough leathery cord. Rein'voir says that traveling on the waters is dangerous, more now than ever and bids you simply hang this in the water near your home when you wish to talk to us. We can find the amulet wherever you are as long as it remains in the water and will come to you. Her lady bids you remain safe in these troubled days. Is there anything else you wish her to know?
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

"I heard of the airboats too," Dorian nodded, "But I didn't think they were anything bad. I cannot stay off the water, it is my livelihood." He couldn't remember anything else that was pertinent. He really didn't keep up on the local news and gossip, he just went about his business, such as it was, in the town.

"That's all I can think about," he added, "But I'm not the best one to remember things."
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Airships, yes but why send so many? the mer flashed a thought at him of two handfuls of ships plus two more, holding her fingers up to show first all ten fingers and then only two.

Our understanding of humans is limited, but this feels wrong. What reason would there be for such unless they intended evil? Our lady bids you caution lest you be taken from us. I wil relay your messages and if we have more for you, one of us will visit you and with that, the merwoman gave a brave smile, turned loose of Dorian and sank back under the water with a squeak.

Off in the distance, against the clearing sky, numerous small dark dots were visible though at this distance they might have been birds of some sort except that they didn't seem to have any motion that one would expect of even a bird of prey soaring on the air currents.
Last edited by Shaeliana on Sun Jul 25, 2004 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Dorian eyed them, now suspicious. That many ships did mean trouble. He set the oars back into the water, gently, and then rowed, slower at first, then fast, heading towards home. It was a long haul, but he'd done it before, and the fish needed to be strung up to be sold. If he had time, he'd clean them, but the sun was lowering in the sky.

That was an unpleasant thought, that the city might suffer another invasion so soon. He was just one man in a boat, hardly worth the notice of, he hoped. If he had to, he'd row Maranda clear across the lake to whatever might be a safer place to be.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Indeed, just one man in a boat drew little attention and the one ship that did notice him only noted a fisherman headed home even if it was a bit odd to see a small boat fisherman out so far. It wasn't entirely unheard of and certainly nothing to cause alarm. Tired after the long haul, Dorian made it back well before sunset.

Sitting on the sandy beach working on her sewing in the fading afternoon sun, the blonde waved, beaming him a bright smile as he drew his boat up on the shore. Cat plodded out and leapt into the boat, pouncing on anything that wiggled. A cloud sailed overhead, blocking the sunshine for a few burns, the wind almost cold without the warmth of the sun to counter it. Maranda pulled a shawl around her shoulders and continued with her work. In another mark it would be dusk and too dark to sew.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Dorian unloaded the boat with the utmost care, and got himself out last of all, tying up carefully. Then he went to give Maranda a kiss, pat the cat, and venture into the shack for his stringers. Time to string up the fish and take them to sell ! What he couldn't sell, he'd take straight to Aunt Dora. Well, after Cat got a good feed.

"The airships...the Mer have seen 'em. Lots of them." Dorian said, in a low tone, as he deftly worked string through gills, making sure he was standing over water on the docks. "I'll take these into town, sell them and be back. Do you want to start dinner tonight ? Or should we go to Aunt Dora and ask her to cook us up some fish ?"
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Smiling, the blonde returned the smooch and listened to her husband's news as he worked on his fish. At his news about the airships, her brow creased into a slight frown.

"Lots o' airships? Why would they want ta do something like that?" she murmured as she tied off a stitch and looked up at Dorian.

"Did they say anything else about them? Doesn't make sense, does it?" she cut the thread and neatly folded her work, moving her focus to Dorian as he strung his fish.

"Oh, it'd be great ta see Dora," she smiled broadly as she stood to her feet. "Lemme put my work away. Perhaps we could stop by the hospice and see how Fínscothach is doing?" she offered questioningly as she headed towards the shack with her sewing things in hand.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Dorian shook his head. He wasn't entirely sure of the airships.....maybe they were going to attack. Maybe they were looking around to find the best places to attack by land, or by sea. "I don't know," he admitted, "But it looks to me, like they want to attack, or they're looking for something, or someone. Why send so many airships ?"

It didn't make a lot of sense to him, but he needed time to mull over the Bigger thoughts and confusions in his life.

He waited for her to put the sewing away, and walked into town with her, the fish dripping as he went. "We'll save a string for the hospice and for Aunt Dora." he said, slowly "And we'll ask her to cook a couple fish for us. The rest, I'll sell, before it gets too dark." That was higrade thinking for Dorian, to make that much of a plan, and took a while for him to sort out.

Once they were in the market, he raised his voice, and called, "FRESH FISH ! FOR SALE !" Which was about as much effort as he ever made in selling fish. A fine fat fish sold itself, Old Drake had always said. "Fresh from the lake not an hour ago !" That was his most effective and complex sales pitch, right there, and had taken much effort to think up.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

The walk into town was uneventful enough, but when the fisherman raised his voice announcing fish for sale, he was assailed with would be purchasers inquiring how much. Within a space of several burns, the two were surrounded by folks vying for the fish. Ten burns later, all the fish were gone save those he'd held back for the hospice and their dinner at the tavern with Aunt Dora.

Purse clanking with coins, the two moved on to the hospice where they were told that the woman they'd brought in was still unconscious, but doing better, her fever gone. Thankful for the fish, the healers didn't think Fínscothach should have any company that night and so the two were ushered off again. Dusk had just started in earnest when they arrived at the Laughing King, alive with light, the aroma of roasted meats and the low rumble of conversation and laughter. Aunt Dora greeted their arrival with a huge smile and strong hugs.

"I am so glad you two dropped by," she patted Dorian on the shoulder as she took the fish from him and handed them to an assistant. "Sit," she pointed to the staff table there in the kitchen area. Maranda settled at the table next to Dorian, snuggled next to him happily.

"Tell me what you've been up to? How're ya doin?"
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Dorian let Maranda talk first, at length, sitting down where told. He didn't have a lot to add, just a query about the airships, and if anything unusual had happened in the town. Aunt Dora was in the tavern, where people gossiped, and might have heard something worthwhile.

He simply enjoyed Maranda being happy for now, and was content in his life. He didn't ask a lot out of life and was grateful to get it, essential Drakeishness. They had money, they had a meal coming along, and Maranda was happy, so he was happy also.

When they seemed to have exhausted their immediate round of conversation, he asked, "Aunt Dora, have you heard aught of the airships that have been coming over the lake ? And has anything else happened, strange-like, in the town ?"
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Aunt Dora and her neice had a good time catching up on trivial things, details about a friend who gave birth to a healthy son in the midst of all this turmoil and another who'd left the capital city headed for Roque looking for safety. Dorian's question rivited the cook's attention to him.

"Airships? Why, they've had 'em in World's Mouth for some time now. They've not been here yet, some nonsense about dangers flyin' over the mer," she shook her head. "But there's plenty a' talk about all sorts'a troubles about." She looked both ways and leaned in speaking in a whisper.

"I've heard tales that there's orc inside the city walls, let in by folks who'd like ta see the kingdom toppled and a new ruler set up in it's place. Can you imagine the evil? Allowin' orc inside the city ta kill folks at night, hidin' em durin' the day. Of course, the debate o'er the king's death still rages on with those sayin' that evil slew him and those that insist Dominicus watches o'er him and he yet lives. Don't s'pose we'll rightly know the truth of the matter til his party comes back from Dragon's Keep. Lots'a strange tales folks tell after the raids and all. Why we've had guests tell us the Laughin' King has ghosts," she chuckled softly.

"They tell us they've seen some of the ones burnt when the inn was hit during the raid if ya can believe such a thing," she shook her head grinning then turned back to the fisherman.

"Why the questions, Dorian?" she asked softly. "What've you seen 'er heard?"
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Dorian nodded. "I saw something in one of the burnt buildings, a shadow," he said, his nose wrinkling up. If he was a seal, the whiskers would indicate displeasure or consternation. "It made me want to go fetch my gaff. Dunno about the King, that's sort of far and above me. I expect he'll be back or another one will come along." Such was Dorian's view on the Monarchy.

He considered the rest of it, the nose settling back down. "The airships, there's a lot of them, right ? Why so many ? Are they looking for something, or someone ? I've seen them over the Mer, heading this way. Who flies them ? And has anyone seen the Orc ? What do they look like, anyhow ?"

Probably not shadowy, was his guess. Probably big. Not that dismayed a young man like him with a good breadth of shoulders and hard muscles from hauling nets and rowing.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Listening intently, Aunt Dora shook her head in response to the question regarding the airships.

"Dunno why they'd sendsa many," she pursed her lips and thought for a moment, finally shrugging quickly. "S'posedly they're comin' ta help settle things down. Perhaps they've come ta do away with the orcs that's been plaguing us. Ya say ya've seen em Dorian? Over the mer? Any idea how far they are, how long b'fore they show up here?" Good gossip was always useful in some way or another. Just the fact that they could be seen already over the lake was a tidbit of its own, something the cook had not heard yet. As to why World's Mouth might be sending ships, she couldn't imagine.

"Can't be nothin' bad though," she mused out loud before realizing what she had done. Laughing, she looked at Dorian and her niece.

"I mean they're comin' from World's Mouth and they're part of us. Not like it's the Seven Isles attackin' us or somethin'. Has ta be help arrivin' ta get rid o' the orc," she said as if trying to reassure herself.

"And orc are huge, green and ugly," the cook added sharply. "Mean too! I've heard that they eat humans and slaughter their own if they're weak," the woman shuddered. "Foul terrible beasts though I've ne'er actually seen one, thank Dominicus! Don't s'pect I'd be around ta tell about them if I had," she added solemnly.

"But I hear they don't like water so's I think yer probably safest out on the mer like ya are," she added looking up at Dorian. "And certainly ya'd not have ta worry about them attackin' the city from the water. As for yer shadow in the burnt buildin'," the cook shrugged again.

"Lots o' folk without homes after the seige. Children too. Lotta homes an businesses burned ta the ground. Coulda been someone who's taken up shelter in a place not as badly burned. Since it's not theirs, I spect that'd make em a bit skiddish," Dora added as she stood and moved to the stove to refill her tea pot with hot water.

"Yer bound ta find lots o' dark shadowy type stuff right now Dorian," she added as she moved back to the table and set the teapot down while it steeped. "Things 'as been bad here. Folks think and do strange things in hard time sometimes."

"Why I've heard tales," she glanced about her to make sure no one else was listening and leaned in lowering her voice. "that there's darkness even in the church o' all things! Goin's on that ought not be from servants o' the One," she shook her head and poured out cups of tea.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Dorian absorbed this slowly. Anyone having a long conversation with him needed to be a little patient. "I sell lobsters to the Church sometimes," he said, which was about all the use he had for them, unless he needed some writing read to him. Old Drake had not bothered with religion, since it wasted valuable fishing time. Dorian held similar views. His exposure to gods was in the form of blasphemy. "What happened at the Church ?"

He wasn't entirely sure the airships were harmless....and he knew orcs were not harmless. As for the shadow in the building, it had not been something normal, like a hiding person. That was for another time for him to hunt out, though. He wondered how he could find a shadow....and what to do when he found one. If you could not thump it with a gaff or a fist, that represented a problem for him.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Gossip was the lifeblood of inns and taverns, drawing local clientelle almost as much as the food and Aunt Dora dove into it with delight.

"Ohhhhh," she crooned softly, conspiratorily. "Wasn't at the church it happened but in the palace itself. A priest there's taken over the throne and he's orderin' the execution of citizens.. without a trial mind you!" she emphasized almost vehemently.

"There's those who say that the priests are tryin' ta take over the whole city, but those aren't words its wise ta voice too loudly lest ya find yerself in a prison facin' execution yerself," she shook her head soberly, clucking her tongue.

"Church should be helpin' folks, takin' care of the poor, watchin' out for orphans and offerin' solace ta those who've lost their homes and loved ones, not runnin' about playin' in politics," she whispered. "But don't say that where folks can hear ya."

"Dark times abound whether there be shadows in the city or not," she sipped her tea.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Dorian mulled this over with the slow, steady consideration of something that was important, trying to see where he fit into it. "I won't say anything about the Church, at all, then," he said, with a thoughtful nod.

He still had to make up his new lobster pots, anyhow.

"I guess they do," he agreed, about the shadows and the dark times. "This has happened before, hasn't it ? That's what Redlon said. The darkness was here before."
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

"That it has," Dora nodded solemnly in response to Dorian's question about the darkness. "You'd have been a wee one durin' the great war," she shuddered slightly.

"T'was dark days that made the orc seige look mild in comparison for it was a darkness not made of the evil of the livin' but the evil of things not meant for this world. Things that didn't just live in the shadows, like evil men but things that were made of the shadows. Many brave folks perished in that war, saved the rest of us from a different type o' death, one that steals the soul without taking the life."

"Ya don't remember those days, do ya Dorian?"
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Return to “On the Water Archive”