Sam 15th: Castle Von Beersel (Abner, Amber and Gavin)

Moderators: Vanadius, Mods

Abner Klop
Civus

Post by Abner Klop »

Master Andenken's explanations did little to resolve Abner's confusion, rather the opposite. Assassin? Men? what is he talking about? thought the perplexed gnome. He drew breath to interrupt and correct the healer's obvious misinformation, but then thought the better of it. There was something peculiar about this whole business, and little scientist thought it prudent not to share information with a stranger, however good-intentioned he might appear to be.

So Abner sat, frowning but silent, through the remainder of Andenken's narrative. He was a little disturbed to hear about the insensate state he had been in. By the Gods, where was I? Those lights and that voice -- was that just hallucination? Or something else? What did it mean about "exploring ideas"? Again, however, the scientist kept his counsel until he could discover more about what had been happening in the wake of their battle with the demon. In the end, the gnome's only response to the healer, beyond a few wan smiles and words of thanks, was to ask what day it was.

Once they were alone again, Abner turned to his human friend. "Gavin!" he said in an anxious whisoper. "What going on? That man is saying nothing about Demon we are fighting or about the Stone? What are Amber and Count telling these ones? And why they are not still being here? I smelling somthing of fish and am not liking it one bit!!"
"Wel loved he garlek, onyons, and eek lekes,
And for to drynken strong wyn reed as blood"
--Geoffery Chaucer
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

"Thank you master Andenken. And thank you Arista. You did a wonderful job with my wounds as I can tell."

Gavin smiled as Andenken said that the process of taking the bandages off would hurt. After that acid and the demon, nothing would even come close to the pain he felt. As soon as the bandages were off, the big man flexed his fingers gently and nodded in satisfaction. Although the skin felt a bit tight and stretched he regained the use of his fingers. Given some time he would be back to his normal self.

He remained silent when the healer mentioned the assassins. He understood the need for secrecy. At least he tried to understand. Although he would have preferred to tell everyone what happened, maybe the Count wanted to prevent people from panicking.

And then Andenken mentioned that Amber have left already. That seemed a bit strange. Although they were together for a short time, he thought he knew the girl. They agreed to work together and to be partners, and now she left. Either she had a very good reason or something has happened to her. His face tightened a bit at that thought, but he quickly regained his posture and just sat there smiling dumbly.

With another thank and a nod, he watched the healer and the girl leave and was just about to speak when Abner issued a flood of words.

"I think you are right, my friend. Something strange is happening and we are in the middle of it. What worries me most is Amber's absence. She would not just leave us. I'll wait until we speak with the Steward, but keep your guard up. I may be paranoid, but I think that after all that has happened we both have a right to be. What if the Count is somehow connected to the demons? How come that he was conveniently trapped when the thing attacked? And has been out of harms ay all the while. I may be wrong, but I fear that he may have done something to Amber. And if he had, then I'll send him to the Nether so he could reunite with his demonic allies. I don't know if I mentioned it, but when I picked the stone in Count's study I had a vision of sorts."

Gavin closed his eyes and tried to recall all the details of the gruesome scene that flashed inside his mind a mere day ago.

"I was in Hafne. Riding among a group of riders clad in black armor. Each had a symbol of a red hand upon his armor. The man around me seemed frightened. And I was the source of their fear. We rode through a pass and after a while we reached its end. The scene there was horrible. We came upon a battlefield. But, the battle was already over. Dead lay everywhere. Some of them were knights just like those around me. But, mostly they were people similar to Islay Clansmen. It was not just a war. It was a fight for life or death. A fog covered the ground, but in the distance a few castles could be seen. And as we rode through the valley, people screamed as they were murdered. And someone was impaling the Clansmen bodies upon large stakes all around me."

Gavin lowered his gaze for a moment and shook his head gently.

"Then time seemed to accelerate and I was in one of the castles. It too saw battle. Its walls were ruined in places and black knights were inside. But these wore a red crescent moon upon their armor. And then I saw this young woman. Crucified upon the wall. Her hair was almost like gold and she was pale. So pale. She wore a white gown and as I approached and came within inches from her face her eyes opened. Only they were not eyes, but small mirrors. As if someone took her eyes out and replaced them with those. I saw my reflection, but it was not me. It was a young man in black helmet. She opened her mouth and said something I can not get out of my head. She said: 'Come to me, young man. Be a servant of mine, Hezekiah. Command my forces to the rest of Tazlure.' The vision ended there and I was back in the room."

With a shake of his head Gavin tried to smile, but failed miserably.

"I wonder what it all means. Who is this Hezekiah? And whether this thing I saw really happened or maybe is going to happen? Or indeed was happening then? I need to find out. And stop those men before that monstrosity happens. You can read, right? Will you help me search the books for clues? And will you help me solve this thing? After that demon incident, there is no man I would rather have by my side, my short friend. You and Amber. We need to get that stone back and we need to solve that mystery. Or at least I must. I won't force you to come along. Not after all that happened just because I was foolish."
FORTH they went, the troubled two
To see the world and kick ass too!
[b]Syrawenn and Gavin Saga, Verse 1-2[/b]
Abner Klop
Civus

Post by Abner Klop »

Abner listened to his friend's recounting of his vision in a state of concentrated silence, his frown deepening by the burn. When Gavin finished, the little scientist looked at him earnestly. "No apologizing, friend Gavin. You are not doing these bad thing. You are not bringing evil Stone to here and you are not bringing Demon in house. You are many time already saving me, so I am not hearing more of your silly talking," dcelared the gnome, perhaps a bit paternalistically. He was, however, sincere in his gratitude to Gavin and in his conviction that his friend's conduct had been blameless.

"As for your vision, I am not knowing what these image are meaning. I am just Vegetable Scientist, I am knowing little of mystic thing..." the gnome reported. "But I am helping you solving these thing. There is much bad Magick in this. If someone sending or if someone calling Demons to this place it is much bad. All we must be trying stop these thing. No good is coming from this.

"And I also worrying about Amber. I am not liking that she so suddenly is going. That is not seeming like her. If she is being hurt or dangered, I also wanting help her," Abner assured his friend. Then the gnome's mind shifted suddenly, almost visbly, into another mode. It was time to get down to business.

"So what we doing now? The man is saying something of a Steward to be coming. Are you knowing what is this Steward? Is this one being of the trusting? Are we waiting for Steward or starting the searching right away?" Abner finally concluded.
Last edited by Abner Klop on Tue May 03, 2005 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
--Geoffery Chaucer
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

Gavin pondered what Abner said for a few flickers before he started to answer and then stopped again. He was deep in though for almost half a burn before he finally answered.

"Well, Abner, I don't know this Steward fellow, but from what I know of the titles, he should be the one in charge of things while the Count is away. So, he is a man of trust to the Count. But, whether we should trust him, I do not know. If we can not trust the Count we probably can not trust him. But, I do not know if Count is t blame for anything. I suggest we go and meet him and see what he has to say. We don't have to trust him, but we can at least hear him out. Maybe Amber left a note for us."

He paused a moment and scratched his beard. It was a sure sign that he was puzzled and nervous.

"We need a day or to for my hands to heal completely and I need a new sword. My old one got melted when I stabbed the demon. We need to find out were Amber went and what happened to the Stone. And then we need to see what we can find out about this particular demon we just fought. I suggest we use next day or two trying to find that out. If we encounter some more of its kind it is better if we are prepared. Then we need to gather some supplies and we need to get you a weapon. I know you are not a warrior, but you might need to defend yourself. And then we can go and find the source of our demon threat. And if someone is calling them here then rest assured that he will pay for that. So any suggestions where we could start our search for the information? I admit I am not a very scholarly type."

As he talked Gavin's face lit up and he sat in his bed as he gesticulated as he spoke. He was starting to get worked up and he was ready for anything.
Abner Klop
Civus

Post by Abner Klop »

"The healer is saying we must staying on Castle ground, so we are having not much choices on where we go," Abner replied to his friend. "Anyway you are needing more resting and healing. I can be using this time for trying discover meaning of your dream. I am having no skill in these thing, but it be seeming me your pictures having meanings. The red hand and red moon maybe belonging to some nation or clan, and that name 'Hezekiah' is also seeming to be clue.

"I can be starting with asking if some library or book being in this castle. Men like this Count are always having some old book around house. Maybe I am finding some story that help us with your dream," continued the scientist.

"I also being of your thinking with this Steward. We can be doing talking without us telling too muchly, I thinking," Abner finally concluded.
--Geoffery Chaucer
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

"So we agree. We talk to the Steward, but don't reveal our plans. We ask him for some supplies and ask about Count's and Amber's whereabouts. And that is it."

As he was talking Gavin got up and walked to his clothes and started browsing through those trying to see if there was any damage.

"As for rest and healing, I am quite fine. I'll watch myself, but a little book reading never hurt anyone. And we could search the library faster if we both work together. But, first I think some food would be nice. And then we are of to the library. To search for these symbols and to try and see if we can divine something out of this vision."
Abner Klop
Civus

Post by Abner Klop »

"Yes, agreeing," Abner confirmed. Then, like Gavin, he approached his belongings to see what was had survived their demonic encounter. He was eager to get out of his makeshift bed-clothes and back into something more respectable, but his adventures related to the mysterious Stone were taking a toll on the gnome's wardrobe. Mostly however, Abner was trying to bide his time until the healer or his niece returned. Then he would be able ot inquire where he might find a the Castle's library.
--Geoffery Chaucer
Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Post by Maeve »

OOC: Please bring closure to this thread due to the Sync Event :)
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]

Post by Guest »

OOC: This thread is now ended. Please send me a PM if there is anything in addition to what's been stated that you would like your character to be working on over the next few days. Once I have your PMs. I'll open a new thread (or threads) for us to continue the story.

Post by Guest »

Gavin and Abner were allowed access to most of the Castle grounds, however the Duke's Private Tower as well as the government building were off limits. Having been built fairly recently, the castle was quite well designed and structurally sound. And, like most things in Dort, it did a good job of showing off the wealth of those who resided there.

Of the castle libraries, only the Public Library was available for the two guests. It was quite an impressive collection of texts, from basic children's reading to books on mathematics and philosophy. The largest sections by far were those devoted to trade and the history of various merchant families as well as the section on farming and good planting weather in Dort. Of mythology, theology or the occult there was nary a book. This library had been organized to help in the basic education of the residents of Dort and was kept mainly to help them stay informed of and record knowledge useful to the basic trades of the isle.

A treatise on the qualities of soil in the different regions of Dort and the possible effects of "mixing" them on certain crops drew Abner's attention - as did A Traveler's Guide to Wines of the Isles. By far the most informative volume was Brother Cadmon's Herbal with its descriptions and illustrations of many of Dort's native herbs in variosu stages of their development.

Through conversation with Arista and various guards, Abner and Gavin learned that the Count did not normally reside at this castle, as he had his own residence at Hafne. The Steward ruled both the Castle von Beersel and the surrounding area of Dort in the absence of the Duke. Amber had gone with the Count to Hafne, and there was much gossip about that. The bedraggles woman had not looked quite a proper match for the man. But who could tell what was in any man's or woman's heart but themselves...

At Arista's prompting, Gavin joined some of the guards at sparring. The Captain of the Castle Guard was distraught to learn that the hero's weapon had not been replaced and insisted upon bringing Gavin into the locked "treasure room" of the Castle armory to choose a new sword. The new blade was slightly larger than his old weapon but handled every bit as easily - if not more so. Perhaps Gavin's strength and agility were improving enough for him to wield such a weapon with ease, or perhaps it was superior craftsmanship.

At any rate, there were no more strange dreams or visions of floating in darkness. Though Gavin did wake quite unrested on the morning of the 20th with a vague sense of unease.

It was that very morning when the pair finally were summoned to meet with the Steward.

(OOC: Please continue here.)
Anarión Herunna

Post by Anarión Herunna »

Skilled 30/06/05

Abner Klomp

Herbal Lore [Dort] - basic
Language [Human] - + **
Running - + *
Logical Analysis - + ***
Conversation + **
Throwing Weapons - basic (in particular vegetables and spices)
Demon&Darkness Lore - basic
Inner Calm - + **
Resolve -basic

Gavin Tylan

Blind Fighting - basic
Conversation basic + **
Swords, Two-handed + ***
Resolve - + **
Demon&Darkness Lore - basic
Inner Calm - + **

Amber Kynterle

Throwing Weapons - basic + *
Dogde Blow - + **
Conversation + **
Acrobatics / Tumbling - + *
Last edited by Anarión Herunna on Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Dort Archive”