Rimehold, Bergliin Tents: Hex, Ellena (Samheen 15th)

Moderators: Vanadius, Mods

Zhavon Mikhalrian

Post by Zhavon Mikhalrian »

Ellena

Gisella laughed quietly, still on her knees, the hem of her dress still held her hands. Her attention had turned to mending it as she said she was going to, soon scooting about Ellena, before resigning to asking the woman to turn for her. "Even if it is dry by now, I would still give it a good scrubbing. The salt's probably caked into it and the stench of it is likely enough to turn your stomach." Still, she seemed to be in good spirits and made rather good time on the dress.

"This isn't the best job in the world, I'm afraid, but I would rather get it done quick and somewhat loose so that I can remove it later, and so you don't have to stay here all day!" The woman laughed again and was snipping the thread with her teeth, despite knowing it was a rather bad habit.

She rose to her full height, smiling and turning towards the chest to stow the needle. The extra thread, too short to be of any real use was dropped into the brazier cautiously. "I'm sure you could stay, for a time, without being adopting into any of the clans. Though, most foreigners don't find Trothgard hospitable, let alone a place to make a permanent home of." Gisella's hand reached out and patted Ellena on the shoulder comfortingly. "And it's not like you have to make a decision right now."

Remembering what she had said earlier, she returned to the chest, sifting through it to find an matching colour for Ellena's dress. Finding a saffron apron, she pulled it out and set it to one side of the hide strewn floor of the tent. "I think a nice, dark, rich blue shawl will suit that dress just nicely, if I can find it..."

She rifled through the chest again and eventually located the wrap specified. That she set upon the folded apron and began again to dig through the chest, humming a soft, native lullaby beneath her breath.

"Aha!" Gisella rose, holding two brass, crudely carved broaches, each stylized with elk. Scooping up the other two garments, she handed the shawl to Ellena and set about pinning the apron to the front of the dress with the broaches. "And this way, it'll keep your dress clean while you do any sort of house hold chores or anything like that... as a guest, you really wouldn't need it, but I just wanted to see you all dressed up as a proper Trothgardian girl."

Hex

Solarin, seeing that it was quickly turning into a sister bonding experience, rose and excused himself without much ado. It was all in good fun, however, the man smiling broadly as she departed to leave Kiran and Hex alone to their own devices. The matriarch for the family, for her part, lurched from her chair and went to assist her sibling in her searching for the appropriate accounterments.

"I don't know if we have anything made to a size close to your feet, Hex, you're rather tall. Maybe Otto has something that might work out for you, though, he's rather busy. Perhaps we should have some measurements taken for you and your friends, so you're all well fitted..." Kiran pondered thoughtfully, looking to her sister and having to hope that the boots that Hex selected would fit her. "Let me at least look, though, no guarantees..."

She gestured for Hex to follow her through the tent's opposite exit into the near by tent that she shared with their sibling, Gisella.

Both

Finding Gisella pinning the apron to the front of Ellena's gown, Kiran smiled quietly. "Well, Ellena, you certainly do make a pretty little thing when you're all dressed up. Maybe Gisella should do your hair as well..?" Just a suggestion, though, the matriarch seemed rather pleased with the situation.

She slipped further into the tent, to her side and towards her chest, or rather, to the side of it, where neatly stacked were an extra pair of boots. Kiran plucked them from their place and handed them to Hex, her expression hopeful. "You may try them on, Hex, though, if they do not fit, we shall have to see if one of our brothers has something that can..." Looking over her shoulder at the rest of the room, she continued, "As for the sash and the carmine... I'm sure I've got the first of your requests around here somewhere..."
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Post by Hex da`Bergliin »

Hex chuckled to herself as her father slipped out of the tent. After all these years he was still uncomfortable when women started to bond around him. Hex was pleased that her older sister was responding to her overtures. It was nice to be back home with the family. Bonding with her sisters was something that was long over due.

Hex took the boots from Kiran without taking her eyes off of Ellena. Hex was dumbstruck at the transformation of Ellena into a proper looking woman of Trothgard. Realizing she was staring, Hex quickly snapped her attention to the boots and tried them on. After standing and stomping a bit...

"They will do."

Walking to Ellena and taking her hair in her hands...

"Yes Ellena, lets do your hair. You may even be the prettiest red head on the isle when we are done with you."

Touching Ellena's smooth unblemished face for just a moment..

"Gisella, will you let me work with you on her hair? I would like to learn some of your techniques."
Last edited by Hex da`Bergliin on Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~
[i]The [b]Kona[/b] is dead, long live the [b]Witches[/b][/i]
Ellena Moliere

Post by Ellena Moliere »

Ellena carefully turned about to allow Gisella to hem right round the dress, peering down to watch admiringly at the nimble job she was doing. She made a mental note to follow the advice to rinse out her cloak, something which hadn't occured to her after all that had happened, though in truth she was less worried about the garment and more about the fibula which secured it - that was the only reason she hadn't torn off the heavy cloak in the water.

Taking comfort from Gisella's thought that she need not make any decisions just yet, Ellena turned her attention back to the items of clothing Gisella was presenting her with. As Hex and her oldest sister joined them, she smiled at Kiran's words and a hand automatically reached out to tug at a long lock of hair which was rather more unruly than usual.

"If I am going to be dressed as a proper Trothguardian, I may as well go the whole way with it." she smiled.

Noticing Hex's reaction to her appearance, Ellena giggled a little even as she blushed.

"Do I really look very different?" she asked, a touch of surprise in her voice, before their enthusiasm for doing her hair became infectious and she turned to them both expectantly, wondering what they would do.
Zhavon Mikhalrian

Kiran watched Hex curiously for a moment, but shrugged off the notion of offering to take Hex to the cobbler to get measurements done. If her sibling's feet grew sore from a poorly fitted pair of boots, it was her own problem. Even so, she smiled brightly and watched the other three interact, pausing in her search for the carmine that Hex had requested.

Gisella clapped her hands, squealing with childish delight at Ellena's capitulation to the natives' desire to really deck her out like a good Trothgardian lass. She spun about and dove back for her chest, tossing items out behind her like a digging labrador trying to bury a bone. Finally, with a soft 'Aha!' of success, she rose to her feet and turned again, holding a fine tooth, bone comb in her right hand. "Oh, we'll just comb it out, and braid it... maybe I can find you a kerchief if you need one, to keep anything icky out of your hair. Say, have you had a bath, yet?" Her eyes flickered between Ellena and Hex, expecting them both to have said no or some such.

Even their older sister didn't seem to have expected this, and could only blink in her surprise. Suddenly, she was swamped with the feeling that she had been a poor hostess. "Oh my... I'm sure you both had a bath at the inn before you even came to Rimehold...?" Kiran was hopeful, that at least this remiss in her hospitality could not really be blamed on her.
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex eyed her older sister tisking at her feet.Giving her a look back Hex felt the room in her boots. They were a little big but she was a little too preocupied with everything that was going on think about it for now. It had been a long time since Hex had done anything other than eat, fight and work a boat so she was letting the experence of being back around her sisters and around women like this sink in. Bath?

Feeling a little embarassed, Hex could not remember the last time she took a bath...

"I cane right here after we landed and I have no such time for a bath yet..."
Last edited by Hex da`Bergliin on Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~
Ellena Moliere

Post by Ellena Moliere »

Noticing the look on Kiran's face, Ellena paused before answering Gisella's question about baths.

"Ummm, I suppose we're not counting our untimely dip in the sea?" she said ruefully, guessing that Kiran was not going to be happy to hear they had not had a proper bath in quite some time. She tried to hastily make excuses, "With the excitement of the shipwreck and arriving, we just haven't had a chance ... And our first thoughts were of rest and food ..."

She too looked embarassed, exchanging almost guilty looks with Hex.
Zhavon Mikhalrian

Kiran stared flabbergasted at the pair, wondering how it could have been that no one had thought to see them to the bathes long before this. Wrinkling her nose in distaste, she abandoned her search of the cosmetics and gestured to the entrance that lead back to the short path to the main tent of the Bergliin family. "Gisella, can you lug the tub out and start heating bathing water?" Turning her attention back to Hex and Ellena, she gave them what appeared to be a profusely apologetic look.

"Please forgive me lapse, I hadn't thought that they wouldn't have at least allowed you to bathe at the inn. The salt on your skins must be itching something horrendous."

Gisella had nodded to her sister and scampered into the main tent, commandeering her returned father to help her begin heating the water.

As for those still within the tent that served as Kiran's and Gisella's 'room,' they were still standing about as Kiran ransacked her belongings for something to serve as towels. "Whomever wants to go first can go ahead back into the main tent, I imagine that this might be a longer process than first thought. Gisella will make sure that you're undisturbed, but please, don't take too long."
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex tuned to Ellena taking her hand...

Hex looked at Ellena and thought of all that she had been through in just a short time. She was holding up quite well, at least she was not letting others see her despair if she had any. Oh Ellena, what are we going to do with you?

"Please, you are the guest here, you should go first. Would you like me to help you get ready? I would like to sit and talk with you while you bathe if I may, i am curious about what you would like to do now that you have been blown so far off course. What I mean to say is that I would like to see if I can help you achieve any goals that you have in the present..."
Last edited by Hex da`Bergliin on Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~
Zhavon Mikhalrian

((OOC: Sorry Hex, I fell asleep last night when I was supposed to be doing posts. :( ))

Kiran remained quiet for a few burns, watching her sister and the foreigner interact without intrusion. When Hex stated her intention of joining Ellena in the other tent while the woman bathed, the matriarch laughed quietly. She neared Hex and slipped an arm about her sibling's shoulders, eyeing Hex with some hidden, smoothed down mirth.

"Hex, why don't you let Ellena have a few burns of solitude. She's probably tired of you by now if you spent so long on a ship from Dort." Here, Kiran laughed quietly, patting Hex's shoulder comfortingly, though, the tone of her voice was entirely jovial. "Let her have just a little peace and quiet before you capture her in talk again. You'll have plenty of time, neither of you are going anywhere for at least a few days."
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex laughed with her sister..

"Tis' true sister, lets us get some cakes and some more tea."

Hex gave Ellena a squeeze around the waist as she passed her.

"Give us a call in a bit, enjoy your soak."
~
Zhavon Mikhalrian

Gisella returned to the tent she shared with her sister just in time to see Hex and Kiran make their ways towards the entrance. She smiled warmly to them, and then to Ellena as they passed, watching her younger sibling get what appeared to be a little more affectionate than necessary hug. The woman blinked and waited long enough for Hex and Kiran to disappear before turning to Ellena. "Er... well then, come on, I'll show you where you can bathe. I'll wait outside to discourage any rude siblings from barging in on you."

As for Kiran and Hex, they went outside into the open air, now that the main tent was preoccupied with the basin for bathing water. "I do hope that Gisella warned father and our brothers of Ellena's bath. I would hate for anyone to make her feel uncomfortable." She turned to Hex and took her sibling's hand, patting it once before releasing her. "Come now, let's go visit the cousins and see if you can't bathe there so we don't have to hold Ellena up with your bathing."

She turned for one of the nearby tents that was obviously the location of their cousins' family, matching the same design of hammers that was about their own tents. Their aunt was the matriarch of this family, a sister of their deceased mother, and the head of their clan as a whole, being the oldest female living. Kiran smiled to Hex and moved aside the tent, peering in. "Hello, I do hope I'm not disturbing anything..."

From within the tent, they could hear the voice of the youngest child, a little girl by the name of Paiva, squealing with delight. The fair haired little monster of only three yahren came barreling for Kiran, leaping to be caught up in her cousin's arms with a wide grin. "Kiran, Kiran, Kiran!" It was then she saw Hex and fell silent, obviously not recognizing Hex at all.
Ellena Moliere

Post by Ellena Moliere »

(OOC: Sorry for the delay, guys - wasn't even able to log in here for a while, but hopefully I'm getting things back on track now!)

IC: Ellena dismissed Kiran's concerned apologies with a warm smile. "Don't worry about it - it's not like you can really be prepared for unexpected visitors just washing up on the shore!"

The redhead laughed at Kiran's good natured teasing of her little sister, but squeezed Hex's hand gently.

"I'm not tired of you," she said, "But I must confess I am a little ..." She broke off, looking down as if unsure how to continue and when she looked up again, the signs of any strain she might be under were not not quite so well hidden as they had been. "... I think everything might be just catching up with me ..."

Straigtening up with a bright smile, however, she at least seemed to shake off any concerns and returned Hex's little hug.

"I'm sure I shall feel much better after bathing though." she said, sounding a little too optimistic about that, before turning to follow Gisella's lead.
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex slipped her arm around Ellena as she spoke. Noting the strain that Ellena hinted at...

"Ellena, you take as long as you want in that bath. We do not need to go anywhere or do anything this tide or the next. I am home and you are my guest."

With that, Hex joined Kiran in the brief journey to her cousins. The reaction of the young girl amused hex and she gave Kiran an amused look.

"It seems I have the same effect on little girls as I do foreign me." With that Hex squatted down and met the little girl on her level.

"Hello little cousin, my name is Hex, what is yours?"
~
Zhavon Mikhalrian

((OOC: Welcome back, Ellena.))

Ellena

Gisella didn't say much, if anything, of Ellena's forced optimism regarding the bath. She could understand that her guest would be wearied in so many ways that it might be best to just leave the woman to her own devices in the warm water until even that chilled.

As promised, the main tent had been cleared of its occupants. Several braziers had been lit in order to keep the chill of Trothgard at bay, at least while Ellena was in a more vulnerable state. Now the tent was quite warm, for the time being, though, it could also be because of what was a gently steaming tub of banged and beaten metal. A neat pile of woolen clothes had been folded near the tub, and a small, bar of lye soap rested on top of it.

"Take your time, I think I heard Kiran trotting Hex off to the cousins to maybe convince them to let her bathe there. And then you guys and head out into Rimehold. You'll show Hex up, you know, you look so pretty dressed up like a proper Trothgard girl." Gisella smiled and shrugged, looking back towards the main entrance. "Anyway, I'll stand guard for you."

With that, Gisella was bounding out of the tent to do precisely that, leaving Ellena in her solitude to relax.

Hex

Paiva just continued to stare wide eyed at Hex, the stranger. She smiled shyly and buried her head into Kiran's shoulder, fingers gripping tightly about the sleeves of the woman's dress. Kiran just laughed quietly and jostled the little girl, freeing one hand to draw aside the flap into the tent. "Come on, Hex, Paiva takes a few marks to get used to someone new." The little girl said nothing but took occasional peaks at Hex as they moved into the tent.

Inside, it was decorated much the same as Hex's family's tent. An assortment of braziers, lamps strung from the tent's poles, various chairs covered in animal hides, chests containing extra clothing for the family, and a long table where much of the fine work was done when the weather was too cold. The Matriarch was present, sitting in a chair, a blanket spread across her lap, looking just as regally as could be.

Their aunt was a dignified woman bearing a striking resemblance, if not older version, of their own mother. Her hair was graying, her eyes sporting crow's feet, her mouth wrinkled in what appeared to be permanent smile lines. Her daughter was present as well, Paiva's mother, a woman just a yahren or two older than Kiran herself, blonde with her stomach bulging in evidence of another child on the way. The fecund woman was the first to notice their entrance and smiled brightly at the sight of Kiran and Paiva. She strode towards them, loudly exclaiming, "Welcome home, Hex," before wrapping up the estranged Bergliin in a warm embrace.

Paiva looked up at the sound of her mother's voice and squealed again, struggling in Kiran's arms to get to her. Kiran laughed and extended the child, Paiva's legs dangling before her mother caught her. "Hello, Toyah, have her back before she breaks me..."

Toyah took Paiva back and turned back to Hex, showing the girl her cousin. "Paiva, this is your cousin, Hex. She's been away for a very long time, and now she's back. Say hello." Once again, Paiva went silent and shy, turning this time to bury her head into her mother's neck, giggling softly. Her mother simply patted the girl's back and shrugged to Hex. "She's a little wary of strangers, but don't worry, she'll warm up to you and then you'll never be able to get rid of her." The woman laughed and whirled about to join her own mother, resting Paiva on her lap.

The Matriarch, who had been smiling during the exchange of greetings between Paiva and Hex, finally spoke up, her arms opening. "Come, Hex, have a greeting for your aunt." Svea was obviously waiting for her welcome home hug from her niece, something that just set Kiran to another peal of soft laughter.
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex welcomed the embrace from Toyah and was delighted that such a small child could upstage her sister. As her aunt asked her for a hug Hex was almost overcome with emotion for she still had not dealt with the death of her mother. Hex embraced the Matriarch and held her for a while. Exspecting questions to be asked, Hex took her place and sat beside her.

"It is nice to be home."
~
Zhavon Mikhalrian

Kiran and Hex claimed their seats, Hex beside the Matriarch, Kiran across. Paiva squirmed and wiggled in Toyah's lap, obviously wanting to be on the ground and running about but not allowed to. She suffered in silence, quietly, eventually twisting about to bat at the feather in her mother's hair. Hex's cousin just patiently removed her daughter's hands, obviously with practice so not to have her blonde locks tugged painfully. The little girl could only pout and try to find something else amusing before finally clambering into Kiran's lap.

"Home is where the heart is, or so they say, Hex," Svea murmured softly, eyes watching as Paiva finally made her way over to Kiran. "Do you plan on staying for long or as soon as another ship docks?"
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex was enjoying the warm company of her family, for once. She could remember back to a time when her tongue would speak nothing but venom and all her thoughts were on getting away, either that or failed romance. For now though it was nice to be back at home, she was itching to get back to practicing with her weapons again. She did after all have a few new tricks up her sleeve for her brother on the practice grounds.

Hex giggled at the antics of the young Paiva, catching her self hex quieted for a moment before roaring into laughter. She was indeed happy to be home.

"I am unsure, I have a meeting with the Kona and I have a few things to discuss with my friend Ellena. A large part of my decision will depend on the outcome of those discussions. Right now if I were to go again it would only be out of duty and not desire. I have so enjoyed being back home amongst my family." Hex looked around at her family, for once truly feeling a part of them.
~
Ellena Moliere

Post by Ellena Moliere »

Once left on her own, Ellena undressed as quickly as she could and then eased herself into the tub of steaming water, sighing as she felt the relaxing heat against her skin. First scrubbing her skin vigorously, she then sank further down in the tub, all her defenses finally evaporating. Closing her eyes, her mind played over all that had happened since she had left home and a few tears escaped from beneath her lashes. Once she had started, she found it hard to stop and for a few moments her tears flowed unrestrained as she buried her face in her hands.

However, she eventually willed herself to pull herself together again and forced herself to think positively - she could have died when the ship was wrecked or she could have ended up alone in a foreign, much more hostile land. Sinking beneath the water to soak her hair, she resurfaced pushing her wet locks back from her face and rubbing at her eyes.

Taking a deep breath, she prepared to get on with things as best she could, finishing washing her hair before climbing out of the tub and wrapping herself in one of the towels she had been given by Hex's sister. Standing in front of one of the braziers to keep warm, she dried herself off and then rubbed at her hair, getting as much water out of it as she could. Not having a comb, she settled for running her fingers through her damp hair for now and then pulled her borrowed dress back on, ready to face the world again. Or at least as ready as she'd ever be.
Zhavon Mikhalrian

((OOC: Okies, guys, I'm sorry this took me a little longer than normal to get to, but stuff came up yesterday, when I meant to post, meaning, my mother was in town and demanded company. Also, I'm going to skip you both ahead to after your respective bathes to get you into something a bit more interesting, if you don't mind.))

The conversation with Hex's cousins and aunt had proceeded to the light chatter that was often the place after people had been separated for a great length of time. Updates on the family, or rather, the additions to the family were mentioned, Paiva amongst others, more cousins, though no nieces or nephews yet to report to Kiran or Hex. At some point, Kiran had addressed the issue of the bath, and Svea and Toyah both seemed not only a bit surprised, but gladly acceded to the request. Hot water was heated as best as it could be over braziers and in due time, enough had been accumulated for Hex to claim a bath in relative peace and quiet with the other four skipping outside.

Within two marks, the time flying for all of those concerned, Hex and Ellena were standing outside of the Bergliin tents, the latter dressed as she had been carefully arranged before her bath. As for Hex, her clothing was of her own choice, likely borrowing from one of both of her sisters to fill in the gaps of her own wardrobe.

The sun was shining, the air was crisp and cold and scented of frost as was often the case of the area. The whole of Rimehold was laid before them and ready for the taking, if only they knew what they wanted to do.
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex, indeed dressed in hand me downs from her sisters was laughing all the way out of the tents. Her final adjustments made to her brace of daggers and her hair, she cast Ellena a doubtful glance before bursting with laughter once again.

"Have no fear Ellena, about the only thing I shall have to fend off today will be the many advance towards your company. You should know by now there is nothing I do unarmed."

Taking Ellena by the arm and leading her towards Rimehold, Hex started to lead them in conversation...

"So, before we get about shopping and taking in the sights, I have to make an appearance at the temple. I have a few short questions to ask. Is there any thing you would like to know about before we get amoungst the populace?"
~
Twilight
Retired staff

Post by Twilight »

As they began to walk toward the temple, a rather hefty older woman approached, looking rather excited. It was Mersel, a neighbour that Hex new well, and was likely distantly related to. Spotting the two young women, she bustled up to with a bright, friendly smile and a cheerful greeting.

"Well, well," she continued, before either Hex or Ellena had a chance to complete their greetings to her. "All this excitement about Lady Aesa's betrothal puts me in mind that it's about time that at least one of my two precious sons married. Don't you agree, Hex?" she asked, directing her question to the one that would know both her sons. Then she turned to Ellena with a speculative gaze.

Hex new both the young men well. Both were in their early twenties, heavily built and remarkably dimwitted. It was no wonder that their mother would be searching for matches on their behalf.
A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

(avatar by Talon Yoseijo)
Ellena Moliere

Post by Ellena Moliere »

Laughing with Hex as they linked arms and heading off, Ellena looked all about her curiously, wanting to try to become familiar with her surroundings.

"I'm sure there will be many things to ask about as we explore ..." Ellena began, not wanting to bombard her friend with a multitude of questions all at once. But before she could continue, they were approached by a woman who seemed to know Hex.

A little startled by the way in which the stranger looked her up and down, Ellena exchanged a bemused look with Hex, not really knowing what to say and wondering if she looked so very much the newcomer that the woman should look at her in such a way.
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Some things just never change

Hex gave Ellena's hand a squeeze before Mersel approached them...

"Why hello there, it has been some time. Yes perhaps you should look into getting those sons off where they would be doing more good but you must of forgotten that my interest in men is very small, not worth thinking about really. Men are good for lugging things about if you tell them how to do it. I am sorry Mersel, this is my friend Ellena, we are currently off to the temple, would you care to walk with us?"

Hex, still holding Ellena's hand indicated with the other the direction of the temple, and moved to walk in that direction, waiting for the older woman's reply.
~
Twilight
Retired staff

Post by Twilight »

Mersel chuckled at Hex's gentle reminder, but remained undaunted.

"Well, certainly, but does not this royal betrothal set you to thinking of such things, just a little?" she asked the young woman, falling into step with Hex and Ellena without hesitation, despite the fact that they were now headed in the direction from which she had just come. "But perhaps your lovely friend here is more inclined to taking a husband?"

It seemed that Mersel was rather stuck on this one train of thought, and that she had decided that Ellena was a likely prospect for one of her sons.
A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

(avatar by Talon Yoseijo)
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex laughed good heartedly as they resumed their walk to the temple...

"Ah yes, this royal betrothal has me thinking of a few things but sadly no, it has not changed how I view women, or men for that matter. rumors still fly faster than the wind in this place but the only man who can hold me in his arms and comfort me is still my father. As for my friend Ellena, she will have to speak for herself but I do not know how much you would like the prospect of having your sons whisked away on you. You may have noticed that she is not from these parts and I think that although our hospitality is warm, our climate is not, and she soon may be on her way."

Hex gave Ellena's hand a little squeeze as they walked along.
~

Return to “Trothgard Archive”