Rimehold, Yrsa Tents: Eydis (Samheen 16th)

Moderators: Vanadius, Mods

Eydis da`Yrsa

Rimehold, Yrsa Tents: Eydis (Samheen 16th)

Post by Eydis da`Yrsa »

Samheen 16th

~~~
~~~

That night, Eydis da'Yrsa dreamed of blood.

She and her younger sister were children then, in the dream as well as in the memory from which the dream stemmed. Eydis was two years from earning the right to wear her feather of womanhood, and Freida was only ten. Freida's favorite horse was young as well - not much larger than a pony, but Eydis could tell by looking that she was going to die soon.

The icy highlands of Trothgard were always treacherous, even for a sure-footed mountain horse. The horse had slipped on a patch of unsteady ground and had gone skimming uncontrollably down the steep slope, over the edge of a small, rocky overhang. When Eydis and Freida found their way down to the bottom of the rocky hill, where the beast lay slumped on her side, they saw that one of her legs had been broken, and a jagged rock jutting out of the ground had pierced her through the ribs. Freida ran off for help, leaving Eydis to tend the wounded animal. She could see that it was in much pain, and nearly mad with confusion and panic, screaming and scrabbling at the rocks with her good legs. Eydis tried to calm her, to keep her from hurting herself even more, but it was no use.

The horse's motions grew weaker. There was blood on her nose and teeth, and her breathing was labored, but still - Freida did not come. There is no hope, Eydis realized at last. She will die before she can be brought back to Rimehold, and even if she lives, she will surely be lame this winter.

The girl knew then what she had to do. Her hand unsheathed the knife she used to cut meat and saw through ropes. Eydis crouched by the filly's head, stroking her mane and making soothing noises. After a moment, she braced herself, and pulled back the filly's head.

One slash cut through the thick skin at her throat, the second ended her pain. When Freida returned shortly after with help, they found the horse already dead, its motionless head cradled in Eydis's lap. When Freida saw what her sister had done, she screamed, "You killed Whitewind! You did!" And for nearly three weeks afterwards, Eydis could barely draw a civil word out of her.

There had not been so much blood in truth, but in Eydis's dream, her clothes, arms, face - everything was soaked dark in it. In her dream, the small, dried-up ravine into which Whitewind had fallen was flowing with blood, as a stream of water must have once flowed long ago, carving imperceptibly through rock and soil...

Eydis awoke to the lonely sound of the wind beating against the walls of the tent.

As she went about her morning routines, the strange dream lingered on in her mind. Most dreams were many and scattered, leaping from one fragment to another, with neither rhyme nor reason. But this one had been so clear...almost a re-living...except for the last image of the river of blood - the only scene that did not happen. Why did she dream of the time she had to kill her sister's horse - an event that had not entered her mind for many years now? Was it the Ice Queen who sent her a blood dream? What was she trying to tell her?

The Ice Queen sent blood dreams sometimes, to warn of danger, or long winters ahead. To women with child, she sometimes sent them the night before a baby was to be birthed. And to young women, to tell them that their moon cycle was upon them - though when Eydis awoke that morning, she saw this that was not the case. Blood dreams were also sent to forewarn a guilty woman or man of impending retribution, or to make it known that the Ice Queen was displeased with something one had done.

Eydis could not think of anything she had done recently to possibly incur the Ice Queen's wrath - though most people who did were rarely aware of it - and she could not imagine why, if the Ice Queen wished to send a warning of winter, she would send it to her. After all, the Kona was the Ice Queen's avatar - not Eydis.

One thing is for sure, Eydis couldn't help thinking as she fastened the leather straps of her thick, seal-skin boots. A blood dream, if it meant anything at all, usually foretells pain...

Pushing the dream into the back of her mind where her better reason had at last deemed it belonged, Eydis nudged back the flaps of her family's tent and stepped out into the hustle and bustle of Rimehold.
Last edited by Eydis da`Yrsa on Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
Zhavon Mikhalrian

Post by Zhavon Mikhalrian »

Timestamp: Samheen 16, Morningtide, Last Mark

The buzzing conversation of the day before regarding the shipwrecked foreigners seemed to have died down considerably by the next day. The most exotic of those, an actual Adhiel, had departed earlier on a hunting foray with one of her companions and a trio of Waelkyriges, leaving the returned Bergliin and one last foreigner to the hospitality of Rimehold. The novelty of the disaster had soon faded, and now the rest of settlement was back on its usual topics of conversation and its mundane chores.

The air was crisp and stung against the gradually reddening of her cheeks. Naturally, the ever present taste of ice was upon it, clean and refreshing as it always was. It was the best way to wake up, and surely one of the quickest amongst the Seven Isles. Her family was likely already awake and about, having allowed Eydis to sleep, or trusting her to get up at her leisure, as an adult of the family was allowed.

The whole of the settlement lay before Eydis like a glittering jewel. Frost still kissed most of the tents and the more permanent buildings such as the North Star Tavern, the Council Lodge, the Trade Hall and the Temple of the Ice Queen. Overhead, the sun was obscured by the grey, passive clouds of a winter that was slowly making its way onto the Northern Isle. People passed by her, though, infrequently, as that most had already been up and about. Some people waved, or smiled, slaves and clansmembers alike, some she recognized, some that she could only vaguely recall.

((OOC: I've decided to leave this open ended, so that you can decide where you would like Eydis to go from here.))
Eydis da`Yrsa

Post by Eydis da`Yrsa »

Eydis had yet to meet the shipwrecked foreigners who'd caused such a stir the day before, although the ever-vigilant Yrsa gossip circle had delivered more than enough intelligence to sustain her throughout the day. She vaguely remembered Hex da'Bergliin, with her red hair and stocky build, as an angry and outspoken young warrior woman...and if the gossip was true, she hadn't changed much in that respect.

Once upon a time, a southerner in Trothgard would have had the effect of halting all normal Rimehold activities for the remainder of the day. But now...well, times were changing. The oddly-built structure looming to the south that they'd dubbed the North Star Tavern, was a daily reminder of that. Still, the unexpected arrival of Hex and her friends were important enough that the Kona had requested their presence at the council meeting today, so it was said. Eydis figured she would see for herself what all the hubbub was about then.

But first, there was work to be done at Grandmother's tent.
Last edited by Eydis da`Yrsa on Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zhavon Mikhalrian

To be sure, the foreigners wouldn't be going anywhere any time soon, and seemed to be taken up in Trothgardian pursuits for the moment. Which is just as well, really, given that it might be a few days before the next trade ship came, and even then, they couldn't be sure where it would be returning to would be where they wanted to go.

The council meeting was at least another tide off, though may not convene until as late as early eveningtide just to give all of the natives some time to finish their chores and duties about Rimehold. It was expected to be a busy meeting, given the matter of the foreigners, and all of those people that wanted to come and take a peak at that if they hadn't already. Why the Kona had requested their presence, few could really be sure of, though, common gossip was for news of her niece, Aesa, and of the Citadel. Eydis could almost be assured a place in which to view the proceedings, given that her grandmother often remembered to save a standing place for her when she herself arrived.

Her grandmother, Berit da'Yrsa, had her tent a few paces away from Eydis's mother, and lived with her youngest, and still unmarried daughter. While Berit was not the matriarch of their clan, that title belonging to the Kona's own sister, she was still one of the more influential people of the Yrsa brood. With luck, Eydis's aunt, Seslin, would be out and about, doing the washing for her mother or some sort.

Peaking into the tent, the interior roasting pleasantly from the assortment of braziers, her luck did not appear to hold, Seslin and Berit were tidying up the inside, using the single tent as their living space and meeting place with any others. Larger families tended to break things down by married daughters and their husbands and children, if their main tent grew to be too crowded. Here, with just two people, space, or the lack thereof, was not an issue.

Seslin first noticed Eydis and smiled quietly, gesturing the girl over to her for a greeting hug. Berit paused in her folding of one of the hide blankets and smiled as well, serenely, her silvered hair tied neatly in a long plait down her back. Both were garbed in simple, white, woolen chemises, obviously having not changed yet.
Eydis da`Yrsa

Post by Eydis da`Yrsa »

"Good morning Seslin," Eydis returned the embrace warmly, "hello Grandmother," she said to Berit, who was further inside. "I hope you slept well, it was much colder last night, did you feel it?" She started to remove her snow-covered boots so that they wouldn't drip all over the fur carpets that blanketed the floor of the roomy tent. The warm air was thick with the aroma of something being roasted, mixed with the pungent scent of dried herbs. "Mother says the fire in her chest is much better now after the tea you gave her," Eydis spoke to her aunt, "but the taste of it numbed her mouth for nigh half a tide!"

Eydis chatted on for a little while as she took off some of her thick outer clothes, about household things, and what she'd heard about the foreigners, and strange dreams she had been having of late. But Eydis had not come to gossip - she rarely did, at this tent. Inwardly, the girl wondered what Berit had in store for her today. Would she have to stare into a bowl of snowmelt all morning again...or was Grandmother actually going to teach her the runes this time?
Last edited by Eydis da`Yrsa on Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zhavon Mikhalrian

Berit smiled warmly to Eydis as she began to make herself more comfortable within the tent. Shaking her head, she laughingly replied, "No, not last night. Seslin was so cold herself that she was constantly at the brazier to build it up, despite being bundled up to a fare thee well." The older woman, who was likely only the ripe old age of fifty yahren or so, sidled up to her granddaughter for an embrace. "That's good to hear that Brynja's illness will pass. Though, for the tea, I cannot say I knew that it would numb her." This was spoken with more innocence than could be thought attributed to real lack of knowledge. The knowing glimmer in her eyes simply told Eydis that she had remembered taking the horrid tea herself, when she too grew sick.

Gossip continued, speaking of the foreigners, of the Caesar and the proposal which was to take place between their cousin and the Adhiel himself. The general consensus was that it was a well made match, all things considered and could possibly strengthen Trothgard's position in the Seven Isles. The Kona was wise for arranging it, with or without the Ice Queen's direction.

At length, Seslin removed herself from the tent, claiming that she wanted to check in on her sister, though, it was likely that she knew that Eydis had more of a reason for showing up than to chat. Berit, for her part, simply remained coy until Eydis gathered her courage for stating her reasons to be there.
Eydis da`Yrsa

Post by Eydis da`Yrsa »

For her part, Eydis had been nothing but supportive of Kona Tryggva's decision to send Aesa south, and any qualms she harbored had less to do with her political views, than for Aesa's own contentment and well-being. Poor cousin Aesa...alone in the Citadel, on all sides surrounded by strange things and even stranger people. Sixteen-year old Eydis had never set foot beyond Trothgard's icy shores, but she'd spoken to those who had. Down south, they said, the summer sun turns houses into baking ovens, while food and men were a little on the oily side. The cities were crowded, dirty, noisy - and you could see more people in one day, all packed into a single street, than you could in a whole yahren at Rimehold. In the face of these unnerving reports, Eydis had to admit that if there was one woman among them who could stomach such drastic change, it was Aesa.

And politically...well, Eydis much preferred the idea of having Aesa for an Empress, than Anochrim, whom she had never met, for a Caesar.

After Seslin left the tent, a short period of silence ensued, during which Eydis fidgeted with the corner of a wool blanket, glancing at Berit now and then, who was calmly and quite ingenuously going about her morning chores. Her grandmother was the sweetest old lady one could ever meet, and yet at the same time, she was one of the most infuriating women in Rimehold.

She knows exactly what I'm about. She just wants me to make a ceremony out of it, Eydis thought wryly, pursing her lips, though she understood that it was not without good reason.

Until recently, Eydis herself had been slow in warming up to the idea of learning runic magic. Hunting, riding, and javelin were far more exciting to the average Trothgardian than being holed up in a tent, memorizing symbols all day. Few were inclined to learn runic magic, and fewer still possessed the potential and patience to master it. Knowledge of the runes was a gift from the Ice Queen herself - not something to be taken lightly - and not a craft that could be forced upon someone. One had to want it very badly. And Eydis found at last, to her surprise, that she did want it. More than anything in the world.

The young woman went before Berit and knelt on the furs blanketing the floor of the tent, folding her hands in her lap.

"Grandmother, I wish to learn runewriting." Eydis had never been one to mince words. "I know it is a difficult and dangerous craft, but it is the Ice Queen's gift to us, like the Hippogryphs, and the crystal. I would be foolish and ungrateful to waste a chance to learn it, if I truly have the ability."

The young woman remained kneeling as customary for a student before her desired teacher, with as much patience as she could muster, watching her grandmother with a gaze that was both anxious and earnest in its determination.
Last edited by Eydis da`Yrsa on Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Zhavon Mikhalrian

Berit watched Eydis as she lowered herself to her knees before her, entreating to learn of runecraft. She smiled benevolently at her granddaughter, obviously thinking of how to precisely phrase her reply, wondering why it was now that Eydis had made this request. Her hands folded in her lap, still tucked in a blanket, the tent still as warm as it had been moments earlier. "Why do you wish to learn, Eydis?" The words were soft and amused, caring and perhaps even the slightest bit surprised, though, the old woman did what she could to school her features into those of propriety.

Gesturing a hand at her, Berit spoke again, "Please, rise, sweetling, and take a seat next to me, so that we can discuss this as equals. Learning the runes is a lengthy process and requires great dedication. Do you believe you have what it takes to master them?"
Eydis da`Yrsa

Post by Eydis da`Yrsa »

"Oh Grandmother," Eydis rose into the seat beside her, puzzled by the older woman's inquisitiveness, "I thought you wanted me to learn the runes. I've been meaning to ask for some time now."

She considered Berit's questions, smiling at the last. "You know how I am. I believe I can do anything if I put my mind to it...but I won't really know if I don't try. As to why..." Her brow furrowed briefly while she reflected. "Well, just think of it! All the energy of the Runes at your fingertips, to weave into what you will," she held her hand before her, closing her fingers, and then opening them, before adding pragmatically, "Why, it is endlessly useful."
Last edited by Eydis da`Yrsa on Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zhavon Mikhalrian

((OOC: Sorry this took me longer than normal to get to. My mother was in town yesterday and I spent a good majority of the time with her, so I didn't get to posting when I thought I was going to.))

Berit smiled warmly, though, the expression or its intents were masked, curious perhaps, but not particularly uncommon when the older woman wanted to make her granddaughter think or work things out on her own. "You should not attempt to learn the runes, if it is not something that you, yourself would wish to do. I would have liked to pass down the craft to one of my brood, but if that were not the case, or that they did not have the desire to learn, I would have accepted it as the Ice Queen's will." Again, there was another serene smile from the woman, her hands clasping one another in her lap as her pale blue coloured eyes were patently focused upon her granddaughter.

"What would you do with the learning, Eydis? Despite its admitted usefulness, what do you wish to accomplish with the craft? What purpose would you drive towards if you had the energy of the runes at your fingertips?" More interrogation, it would seem. Perhaps that since Eydis had finally admitted wanting to learn, the woman felt as though she had to make certain of the motivations of her granddaughter. Whatever her reasons were for it, she had not, thus far, explained and continued to look with favour upon whom had to be one of her most cherished grandchildren.

"Understand that there is a great responsibility that belongs to the runes, and that with it, comes an obligation to use that power that they hold properly. Do you think that you have what it takes to not only master the runes, but to wield their energy for the good of Trothgard?"
Eydis da`Yrsa

Post by Eydis da`Yrsa »

(OOC: That's all right, I didn't think I'd have an internet connection starting today, though it seems I'll have one after all - for the next four days at least.)

IC:

Eydis attended quietly to her grandmother's words, briefly subdued by the gravity in Berit's tone. It was clear that the older woman held the art of runecraft in a very serious light indeed, for though Berit knew her grandchild well, she still took every precaution to ensure that she wasn't making a mistake in teaching her.

"I would wield the energy like a hunter would wield the javelin, or a woodcarver her knife," Eydis explained. "As a tool, but as a weapon if I must." The ice trolls she'd seen feared the power of the runecasters, yet there were so few girls who had been taught. Eydis desired neither power nor prestige for their own sakes...she was a small-town girl who just wanted to make a difference.
Twilight
Retired staff

Post by Twilight »

The older woman looked thoughtfully across the tent and into the middle distance for a flicker and then nodded, as if pleased with her granddaughter's response. It was the first indication that she might accept Eydis as her apprentice. Then she turned back to the girl with yet another questions.

"And why now, sweetling? What has brought you to this decision now?" Berit asked her granddaughter, that same serene smile again masking her thoughts and the intention behind the questions.
A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

(avatar by Talon Yoseijo)
Eydis da`Yrsa

Post by Eydis da`Yrsa »

"Now, rather than sooner?" Eydis smiled. "Well, there is a suitable time for everything. I am sixteen after all - more than old enough to choose a craft...and winter will soon be here." When there would be no use for hunting, and the harsh climes made frequent outdoor activity impractical.

The young woman added, rather apologetically, "Only now have I felt decisive enough to come to you, though I've been meaning to for quite a while. You're right about it being an important decision...please understand, it wasn't one I wanted to rush into, even when I knew it was what I wished to choose."

(OOC: Sorry for the delay, I haven't had net access for nearly a week)
Twilight
Retired staff

Post by Twilight »

Berit once again considered Eydis' words, and then she smiled softly at her beloved granddaughter. Turning toward the girl, the older woman reached up and gently placed her hand under Eydis' chin, gazing into her eyes as if into her very soul.

"I do believe that you are ready," Berit stated at length, dropping her hand from the girl's chin. There was a look of satisfaction in the older woman's eyes, and perhaps even a hint of triumph.

"So, Granddaughter Apprentice, shall we begin first thing on the morrow? Or perhaps you are eager to start your training today?" she asked Eydis with a gently teasing chuckle.

Eydis da`Yrsa

Post by Eydis da`Yrsa »

"Today?" Eydis repeated, hardly daring to believe it. I am an apprentice of magic. "Well, we can begin today...if you are not engaged...I'm here now, and I am ready." she pronounced carefully.

Then, unable to contain her joy, the girl sprang from her seat and wrapped her arms around the older woman's slight frame.
"Thank you, Grandmother," she uttered warmly. "I promise I shall not disappoint you."
Twilight
Retired staff

Post by Twilight »

Hugging her granddaughter close, with almost as much joy as Eydis was showing, the older woman chuckled softly. It was to be as she had long hoped, and Eydis was showing herself not just worthy but ready. Certainly now was as good a time as the morrow to begin the long training that would see this cherished grandchild grow into skilled Runecrafter.

releasing Eydis from her embrace, Berit told her, "Now you shall see the importance of the meditation exercises, sweeting." Rising from her seat, Berit moved to the centre of the floor, indicating for Eydis to follow. "Let's make ourselves comfortable here," she continued, tossing a pillow to her granddaughter, "and we will begin." The woman sat herself comfortably on a large pillow, the skins making a wonderfully soft and luxurious carpet beneath them.

"Start with the meditation to calm and clear your mind," Berit instructed in a soft, soothing voice.

Eydis da`Yrsa

Post by Eydis da`Yrsa »

Eydis had done this before, but now, sinking into the softness of the pillow, she set to it with a renewed enthusiasm and sense of purpose.

She folded her gangly legs beneath her and smoothed out the front of her wool dress before, with a brief smile to her grandmother, Eydis focused her sea-gray eyes on a dash of pristine white in the spotted fur carpet in front of her. There were times when an active mind would wander, unless it possessed a visual fixation to which it could for a short time chain itself.

She concentrated on the spot of white...thinking of its whiteness...the regularity of its shape in contrast to the other spots...

Eydis shifted, removing a wrinkled corner of her dress from under her thighs.

A tendril of red-gold slipped into her eyes, which she hastily brushed back behind her ear.

She cleared her throat, swallowed, blinked several times. Her hand rose to scratch an itch underneath the wool of her collar.

But soon the girl settled. Her mind stilled, conscious thoughts became malleable, and she pressed them down like one would flatten dough. Eydis closed her eyes then, and the spot of white fur she had been concentrating on became indistinguishable from the darkness behind her eyelids, save for a single border of imprinted light that flashed dimly and rippled outwards to the edge of the darkness.

The sound of snow sloughing off the tilted roof of the tent, muffled peals of laughter from children playing outside, the heat radiating from the brazier receding as a wisp of cold wind made it through a hole in the tent flap - of all of these things Eydis was aware, and more - yet she did not think of them, for that was not her goal.

As she cleared her head, Eydis also searched for the energy she knew was present in all things, the energy that was the key to magic. She tried to peel away the layers of the world she knew so well, to reveal a realm that could be manipulated by will alone. Eydis had not found that realm yet, though she thought she could sense patches of it here and there.
Twilight
Retired staff

Post by Twilight »

Berit watched her granddaughter with an intensity of which the girl was completely unaware. She sensed Eydis' reach for her inner calm and focus. What now took burns would soon take flickers, and eventually become instantaneous, if the girl was able to develop her skill far enough, as Berit was certain she could.

As Eydis began to reach out with her deeper awareness for the energy, Berit followed along with her own awareness. She spoke guiding and encouraging words as Eydis sharpened her focus. That the girl could already manage this was a vital step, and Berit knew that it would not take Eydis long to learn how to identify and then single out the magickal energy she sought.

All that had been there before was still there, but it was somehow different in this new view of her world. There were hints of colour here and there, but each time Eydis tried to 'look' directly at one, it slipped away as if it had never been there. Yet there did seem to be a difference in the texture of what she saw in each place where the colour appeared to have been.

"Tell me, Eydis, do you see or hear or feel anything different now?" Berit asked softly, giving no more guidance as to what she meant than that one simple question, that was, if fact, no simple question at all.

Eydis da`Yrsa

Post by Eydis da`Yrsa »

"No...yes, a little. I still see colors," Eydis responded absently, "But there is something else. It is familiar, somehow." The colors seemed to be solidifying, becoming something more tangible than mere light. The realization was like finding something she had not known was lost. Though her eyes were closed, Eydis could sense that her grandmother was doing this too - and perhaps that's what was making the difference.

But why don't the colors stay? I am not trying hard enough...

Frowning, Eydis chased a patch of blue to the edge of her "vision" until it disappeared - but this time, leaving behind a residue that appeared to ripple ever so slightly. Mystified, Eydis boldly, yet respectfully, reached out to touch the trail with her finger - or rather, imagined herself doing so, though her hand moved slightly to mirror the action.
Twilight
Retired staff

Post by Twilight »

This time the colour and texture that Eydis sensed became more tangible.

"That's it, but carefully, Eydis," her grandmother coached her. "That is a type of energy. Each colour is it's own type, and for some, each type has a texture as well," she explained, speaking softly but clearly, as Eydis felt the blue energy. "In fact, some hear or taste the kinds of energy. A few can even smell it."

Although she could not grasp it, the girl could now see it more clearly, finding more bands of it moving through the room. This energy had an almost coolness and smoothness to it. Then, as the blue energy became easier for Eydis to see and feel in this deep state of awareness, occasional glimpse of purple came to her, but remained as illusive as the blue had been at first.

"Now tell me what you see and feel," instructed Berit quietly.

Eydis da`Yrsa

Post by Eydis da`Yrsa »

The blue was frozen to the touch, and chimed a shower of icicles as Eydis strummed her fingers across its smooth surface. "Ah." Eydis smiled fondly. "It must be ice." The Goddess's element - and in Trothgard, there was plenty of it.

Briefly, the girl wondered how one could come to taste a strand of energy...certainly not by licking it? That would look rather silly, now wouldn't it?

Turning her thoughts back to the exercise, Eydis noticed the spots of purple emerging throughout the room. "Like saxifrage blooms in spring," she remarked quietly.

"What energy is this, grandmother?"
Last edited by Eydis da`Yrsa on Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twilight
Retired staff

Post by Twilight »

"This is where water and air become one," Berit replied. "Like in the mists. It is an illusive energy, but it has it's purposes," she said softly, leaving further explanation for later.

Eydis began to see the purple strands as more tangible, just as the blue had come into focus for her. Beyond that deeper level of awareness though, the young woman began to notice a fatigue growing within her and a slight headache beginning in her temples. Still, it was not quite enough to intrude on her concentration just yet.

"Now, can you bring the purple into better focus?" she asked her granddaughter. "Try to focus your awareness only on the purple for a few flickers."

Eydis da`Yrsa

Post by Eydis da`Yrsa »

(OOC: Sorry about the delay - I've been very busy this past week, and will probably continue to be.)

Trying to ignore the slight throb that had taken up in her temples, Eydis focused her efforts on bringing the elusive energy forward. Like mist, it seemed to disperse when she tried to reach for it, and she could feel nothing with her fingers at first.

The headache was becoming more and more bothersome, but Eydis had felt worse, living in the same tent with Freida, who fought non-stop with their youngest brother. Knitting her brows, Eydis tried not to let it break her concentration.
Twilight
Retired staff

Post by Twilight »

((OOC: That's ok, I've been distracted with a nasty headache the past couple of days, so I'm running a bit behind too, for which I apologise.))

With each attempt, the purple became clearer, but it took the last of her concentration to bring it into focus enough to 'feel' it's fluffy texture. The ribbons seemed to wind around and in and out of the slips of blue, but they were not always where the blue was to be found. Certainly the purple bands were more illusive than the blue, at least for now.

Finally, Eydis could ignore the headache and her growing fatigue no longer, and Berit gently urged her to release the vision of energy and return to normal consciousness.

"What takes so long and requires so much of you now, will become but a flicker and as easy as breathing," the older woman reassured her granddaughter, as she handed the girl a cup of strong tea. Eydis could tell that there was more in this tea than usual, just by the aroma. "Drink up now. That'll help with the headache and then we can talk more about energy, which is the basis of our magic," she advised.

Eydis da`Yrsa

Post by Eydis da`Yrsa »

Eydis drank of the hot tea, rubbing at eyes that still thought to see spots of drifting color - though now they were only stamps of light on the mind and mystical energies no longer.

The pungent aroma of the tea went straight to the source of her pain, and she could already feel the ache dispersing, her mind clearing, restoring itself to its initial vigilance.

"Thank you Grandmother. I feel much better now," the girl smiled, setting her tea on the floor. After a moment, she folded her hands calmly in her lap, ready to continue on with her lessons.

"There are five runic elements...Earth, Fire, Water, Air, and Spirit," Eydis recited. Her father had been Svafa before Brynja da'Yrsa had chosen him to be her husband, and he had spoken to her of runic magic before, though it was forbidden to him as a man. "This I know. But how are they linked to the energy that I saw just now, that is so varied in its different faces?"

Return to “Trothgard Archive”