16-17th:Agracourt Avenue - Patch & Varka

Moderators: Vanadius, Mods

Post by Guest »

Patch froze in his tracks and carefully looked behind for the source of the noise.

"Bleedin' sparrow, it was," he whispered, reassuring himself, "or a cat. Aye." He took a couple more steps. "Could be a demon dog, too. Aye. Or a man with a crossbow."

He turned around.

"Or a blood-sucking bat."

Pausing he waited for more noises.

"Squirrel. It was a squirrel, aye."

Patch continued onto the front of the house. He would continue with his plan of shouting for the name he'd just made up, Francis Tabor. With any luck, those that were searching for Varka would come and see what the noise was about giving her time to escape.

Post by Guest »

Yes! it worked! and now the stupid animal just should stay there, and the drunken dwarf will come and save me! And I'll be out of this stupid house in this stupid city.. Ahhhh I need a drink! Fast!

That was all she could think about: The cat and Patch saving her from the house. She was so into her dreams that it took her some time to realize that he was gone, that he didn't got the message. She sunk to the deepest depression she had in quite some time. She couldn't die here, in the house, she has another obligation: To die in one of the peeks of the mountain in Kaza Rhun, where Olug lost his life, where he lost any meaning to life.

And at that point all of the walls around the subject collapsed and she started to think about him, a think she tried not to think about. She'll die here, shamelessly in this human city, away from him, she will break her promise, a thing a dwarf cannot do. Usually she tried to do something to distract herself, but in that dip there was nothing that can get her out of it.

Several tears started to pour silently from her eyes on her bearded cheeks. There was nothing to do, Patch will not come, he probably thought that she's back in the inn. She did nothing but staying there silently, waiting for something, anything to happen.

Post by Guest »

*Patch*

As Patch approached the front of the house he saw that, in contrast to the rear, all was quiet.
It was an imposing frontage with large bay windows on the ground floor were each side of the front door. The door stood tall, even for a human and would look enormouse to someone of Patch's stature.
There it was in front of him, it was now or never to implement his plan, and pray that Varka would have, and could take, the chance given to escape.

*Varka*

The silence settled around Varka, the sky was clear and it would be a nice night for a romantic stroll in normal circumstances.
The activity in the room, though busy, had died down a little. However the cat had turned back and once again was staring around the garden.
For Varka it seemed that a long stay in her hiding place was all she could look forward to now.

Post by Guest »

Happy that he made it to the front without being eaten by a demon dog or chased by a squirrel, Patch hummed a little tune.

"I once was chased by a demon dog
It was dark with no light in the dense fog...
I leapt into a run .... er..."

He decided to continue his song at a later time. Straightening his tunic, he cleared his throat and looked up at the door. Scratching his ear, and then his left buttock he cleared his throat again. Having called up some phlegm, he spit and then snorted.

Now was the time.

Unsheathing his axe he used it to pound heavily on the door.

"FRANCIS BLOODY TABOR! YE BLIMEY SOD-EATIN' BASTARD! OPEN TH' BLEEDIN' DOOR!"

He continued pounding.

"IF YOU DON'T BLOODY COME THIS INSTANT I'LL BE CRASHING THROUGH THE BLEEDIN' WINDOW!"

Pound! Pound!

"DO YE HEAR ME IN THERE??"

Post by Guest »

Varka stayed there, stuck with her bad memories and terrible feelings that passed through her. She looked up at the stars and wondered if Olug is somewhere there, after he was swept by The Father to help him in his busy work in the heavens. Varka was positive that the only reason Olug died was because he was such a good person, a savior, and The Father needed people like that up there, to help him to do the demanding job of a god.

She closed her eyes, her eyes were moist but there were no tears pouring out of her eyes, except one that was dangling from her nose. Her dark thoughts dragged her more in more deeper and darker into herself... Into the warm feeling of emptiness.

Something made her open her eyes a tad, just a tad. She was positive she heard something calling, but the night's air was cool and silence. She just imagined it. She once again closed her eyes and then again she heard the voice again. Confusion swept through her, was it Olug who came back to her from the dead to help her with her journey? Was he calling her to get out? No, actually he wanted Francis to come out....

Varka opened her eyes, completely awake. Francis????? This wasn't Olug, but it was another dwarf that she knew, a large hairy fat and drunk dwarf that couldn't even speak right, but at that moment he was the entire world for her. He didn't forget her! He was trying to distract the people in the room so she'll have a chance to escape!

Her dark thought were completely swept away by the sensations on hope and happiness. Ideas poured back into her head. The humans will leave and she'll have a chance to escape, not before she'll deal with that cat the kept busting her ideas. He deadly dagger was already ready in her hand. She was ready to dash out.

Post by Guest »

*Both*

Patchs shouts did nothing, No lights no noise. Well actually it did do something that Varka noticed. As all the noise began the people in the room became quiet and listened, even the cat half-turned around.

Suddenly Patch heard noises, the stamping of feet for two or three persons running towards the door.
this was suddenly thrown open and an a very large man, fists like rocks, and a face to match, craggy and mean. He took one look and Patch and the axe and smiled, a sort of smile that said 'try it'.
"Wat you wan mate, there ain't no Fancis tabor, or whatever is name is here".
The man leaned forward, his face inches away and prodding Patch with a finger in the shoulder, "Now you get outa here mate, or you be very sorry", he nodded behind him and there over his shoulder Patch would see 3 more faces, perhaps not a grizzly as the one in front of him, but not friendly to be sure.
The warning was very clear, and there would not be a second chance.

Varka meanwhile could see the people leaving the room and very quickly all that was left was one person in the doorway looking down the hall, and of course the cat. The cat, like all cats however, had it's curiosity piqued and had stepped a little in the window. It still kept glancing at the garden, but most of it's attention was on what was happening inside. If Varka watched carefully, timed it right and moved swiftly, she could be out before she was seen or at least before anyone would have a chance to stop her.

Post by Guest »

Varka was so happy she couldn't wait to get out of the dip, the dirt and ground started to mess her dress and she feared she'll need a bath, which is not a good experience in the middle of the night.

With her sharp eyes she could notice three of the people that where in the room dashing out for the front, trying to see who is screaming out there like crazy. there was just one man standing in the room at that moment, and his eyes were concentrating on the hall, she could easily sneak out without him even noticing.

But there was still the cat issue. The little hated beast still waited near the window, waiting for something to happen. But finally there was something that was distracting it, and if she'll time it correctly she'll probably manage to run out of the garden. She noticed a pattern in it's actions and timed the time she'll have to run out back to freedom. She knew it will be tight, but she was ready to get the hell out of there.

Luckily for her her boots where still in her bag so her steps were not so loudly as they normally would. She grabbed the bag with one hand, placing the dagger back in the belt, and waited. At the moment the cat looked away she got out of the dip and started to walk as fast as she could without making any sound. The ground in the garden was moist thanks to the dew and the grass silenced her steps.

After several moments she was out in the free outdoors, where she could breath freely and walk freely, it felt great. She dashed to the front of the house where Patch and some tree-like human were talking, more like shouting. Just before she stepped forward to them she wore back her boots and tried to clean her dress, using her bare hands. She knew she looked messy, but that was everything she could have done at that moment. She hit herself on the cheeks several times so they will blush, just so it will mach to her attitude. She breathed deeply and started to jog to the front of the house, where Patch and the tree-like human talked.

"So here you are you old thug! I was looking for you all over! I told you to wait for me near the fountain! We will be late you know!" She ran forward and grabbed Patch by the hand. She faced the huge human, staring at his face, that were way above her, so she even had to stretch her neck to look at it. "Excuse him for bothering you, he have mental problems ya know, don' remember who he is and where he is. I am sorry but we really are late. Good'night to ya". She grabbed Patch by the hand and started to walk quickly back to the inn, fearing that the human will try and stop them. She couldn't wait for this night to end.

OOC: I know I assumed many things in the escaping scene, but as Dyfed said: If she'll time properly and move swiftly she'll manage to escape, and that's what I wrote :) If I need to edit my post and delete the last paragraphs I will do it as quickly as possible.

Post by Guest »

OOC:I'll be out of town until friday due to a trip we are having to the desert...Sorry :)

Post by Guest »

*Varka*
Varka's escape was almost clean, at the last moment as she slipped over the fence the cat turned and caught sight of her. It looked back into the room and then to the fence again, obviously thinking about what to do.

*Both*
Varka meanwhile had got round the front and was plying her speel to the men and of course Patch.
The men stood in astonishment at this short apparition that suddenly appeared out of nowhere and was dragging the mad axeman away.
The grizzly one stood and shook his head, was about to say something, then just laughed and walked back into the house waving the others to follow.
In a matter of flickers Varka and Patch were left standing in the half light the noise of the last few burns gone and silence all around.
Now all that was left was where to go to now, and be safe.

OOC:
I am moving house, I possibly will not be able to post until tues/wed next week. Definatly not Thursday through Monday.
Please accept my apologies, but normal posting service will be resumed as soon as possible. Thanks.
Dyfed.

Post by Guest »

Varka pulled Patch with her until she knew that they wouldn't be noticed from the front of the house, or from any other part of it. She stopped walking instantly and looked at Patch, with az furious look upon her face. "Now you, I just want to say to you, you bloody, hairy drunken dwarf that....I thank you so much!" Her angry expression switched in a moment to a wide smile and a cheerful laugh. She hugged him tightly and kissed him on the cheek, her eyes full of admiration.

A moment later she turned away, her cheeks red with shame, she never let her emotions catch her up like that! She turned her face back to him, now calm and relaxed. "We did a good job, although it took me a lot of time to finish my task, more than even I dared to think, we have enough time to get back to the inn and get our reward!".

She placed her hand on his, letting him to lead the way, this time a bit more cheerful. "So tell me, my hero. What happened to you un the time I spent in the garden?"

Post by Guest »

Patch happily returned Varka's embrace. Washed with relief that all of his efforts were worth it, he bellowed a deep laugh from somewhere in his belly. What a night it had been!

"Aye, lass, and thank you fer doin' th' deed."

After the embrace was finished and Varka asked him of his exploits, Patch's already interesting story suddenly bloomed into an even more interesting story.

"There were four... no, eight men that came after me with swords and crossbows... aye! And I took them in me bare hands and tore apart their weapons, I did! They wept fer mercy, but I am Patch Redbeard Scourge of the Seas an' ne'er was there a moment I took mercy on a man. They all fled for their lives, they did, like the smarmy rodents they were."

As the adrenaline died down Patch suddenly felt the striking pain in his shoulder.

"They did ... eh... get me one, they did."

He moved his tunic down to inspect the wound, a knot of nervousness creeping into his stomach. He hoped it wasn't serious.

Post by Guest »

OOC: Back, move done, though been quite ill last few days, sorry for the delay.

IC:
*Varka and Patch*
Patch's wound was a small hole where the rapier had gone in. The bleeding had stopped, it throbbed almost continuously and was more painful when he moved his arm, otherwise it did not look serious.

As they continued their way back towards the Inn, a sudden clump of marching feet reached their ears and around the corner came a guard patrol. They were half heading towards the two of them, but more so in the direction where Patch had been fighting.

The group hadn't seen Patch and Varka yet though were likely to if each group stayed on it's own course, and if Patch looked closely he would see that a couple of the guards looked very like the ones that had run away from Patch's mad charge.

Post by Guest »

OOC: I'll be out of the country for about a week- going on a quest after my roots in Poland :)

Post by Guest »

OOC: After an amazing journey I'm back and ready for business!

IC: Varka was in such a good mood that she didn't even have the need to tease Patch about his bluff. Besides, he looked so happy to tel her this and who was she to ruin his mood? She just laughed and sounded like a little girl who just met her hero, her eyes glittering with admiration (A trick she learned a long time ago, to make her father happy every time he gives her a candy or something, she always cared about others feeling-Especially if she got something from it).

As he showed her his wound she realized that it's not that terrible, she saw worse, but it must be painful, and without care it can get worse. "Ah my poor baby! It looks so bad! it's a miracle you are still alive! First thing after we'll get our prize I'll take care of it, I'm not an expert, but I can help you in a way or two".

They carried on their way back to the inn, walking in the same way they came from, Varka examined their surroundings every several moments, looking for a black cat or the boy the saw before, having a nice little kick in the behinds for both. She saw the cops that were heading in their direction but gave them little importance, there is no reason for them to do them trouble, Patch and her were just two dwarves strolling the streets just like two normal citizens.

Post by Guest »

Patch absorbed the sympathy like a sponge does water. His chest inflated and the pain of his wound didn't feel so bad after all. Sauntering proudly with his new friend he said, "One thing's fer certain, lass, I need me an' ale. An' whiskey. Aye!"

He headed directly toward the inn, almost forgetting the night altogether as images of alcohol danced in his mind.

"Dort'll fear me now, aye! None shall cross blades with Patch Redbeard!"

Post by Guest »

OOC: I'm back!

IC:
The two adventurers and the guardsmen got nearer to each other, as they became level there was a shout, "Halt", followed by, "You two, halt there".
The sargent in charge waved his arms to his men, and flickers later the two were surrounded by 4 men, one on each side of them. There were no swords drawn, nor was there any particular look or anything in their eyes. In fact they looked a little bored, just another patrol doing another stop on the road.
The sargent in charge then spoke again, "State your names and reason for being here".

Post by Guest »

OOC: Welcome back!!

IC: Varka laughed at Patch's statement. She still haven't realized if he's just saying that to get attention, or he's just living in a fantasy world and he's just imagining things.Well, if it was that way or another, it was funny.

Her expression changed immediately as she noticed the guards, she didn't know if they where in the manor house before or just came from another part of town, all she knew that they can mean trouble. At once she let out a cry of happiness, "Ah at last! guards!".

She ran to them and fell on her knees, making quite a fool of herself. "Thank the heavens you are here! Wait... I cant breath", she stopped talking as if she tried to settle her breath and then started. "My name is Daloris, Daloris Gyren, and this is my husband, Ungar Gyren. We were just walking in the street behind us, enjoying our usual evening stroll, heading to the Drunken Duck inn when a mob of three, no! Four men attacked us! The dropped me to the floor and injured my dear, dear husband!

I wouldn't have come to you unless there was another thing. As they past us on their way I heard one of them joking with the other, saying that this was just a practice for the bigger job they have ahead. The plan to break into some manor house! I don't know where is it, but I guess that it's down the road. It wasn't too long ago, if you'll hurry you might get them before they'll do something!" She looked hysterical, even mad, but that was all planed, if she could just distract the police to go to where she wanted them to go.
Last edited by Guest on Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

Brilliant! Patch let his "wife" do all the talking. Although he would never admit it, he was not the sharpest tool and the shed and it was best to have a smart one do the lying. He simply grunted and nodded. At the sound of his fake name he responded with a nod and deeply voiced "Ungar!"

After she was done he waited awkwardly and then tried to offer consolation by wrapping stubby arms around her.

"There, there, lass. It's only a flesh wound, aye! They were no match fer..." he almost said the wrong name ..."Ungar! We'll get ale in yer belly soon enough."

Post by Guest »

OOC: Varka, police ?? lol

IC:
The sergeant looked them over, mulling as to whether how truthful the woman was. "Well, I feel something isn't right here, yet I can't put my finger on it. Off with you, and get to wherever your going quickly, for if I see you out again tonight, you will be hauled in for questioning".

With that he signalled his men who fell in order behind him and off they marched leaving Patch and Varka standing there.
If either of them watched the guards as they went they would see them angle towards the manor houses, and more specifically towards the house Varka and Patch had just left.

Post by Guest »

OOC: OOps! Okay fixed that!

IC: Varka dug her face deep into Patch's shoulder, weeping because of the tragedy that happened to them. Luckily for her, she learned many years ago how to fake a cry, something that got her out of many troubles before. "You see, my dear guard, we live near the harbor, we are just ordinary citizens who enjoyed an evening stroll. I hope you'll get them!", she shouted as the guards carried on their way, heading towards that house the two dwarves just left.

After they were out of sight Varka turned to look at Patch, deep into his eyes, wondering. It was several moments after that that she finally decided to say something. "I guess we are a good pair lad, I can't wait to see our prize, and that cat".

She started to walk, fast at first, but then in a slower pace, waiting for Patch to walk by her side. "Just think about that, mountains and mountains of gold and jewels, and maybe some clothes! Ah... So many time have passed since I last bought some new dress, I can't wait!".

Post by Guest »

OOC: Oh dear! For some reason I missed that you guys were posting. Sorry!

Patch comforted his new wife as she wept noisily into his shoulder. For a brief moment he took a liking to the experience. Perhaps being alone wasn't the best way to be.

As she broke character he smiled about their victory. All that could come to mind was a congrulatory ale.

"Aye, all those things are great, they are... but an ale is all I need."

As they headed back toward the tavern he added, "Good pair, indeed. You'll need to be learnin' how to tame a sea serpant with yer hands. But there will be time later fer that."

Post by Guest »

There ahead of them was the Drunken Duck Tavern, the usual noises coming from it, and no strangers or anything about.
However as they approached the building, a pair of small almond shaped eyes watched them carefully, following their every move, suddenly disappearing as they neared the door.

OOC:
Ok folks, firstly sorry for the slight delay in the posting.
secondly, this was my last post here, for the next phase of your adventure you will have a new moderator. I hope you give him as much pleasure modding for you as I have had.
Good Luck, and remember most of all have fun!

Post by Guest »

OOC: Bye Dyfed! It was soo fun playing with you, you're a great mod and a wonderful writer. Hope I'll see you around some day!

IC: Varka was so relieved to see the drunken Duck from afar, it was her safe haven for now, her place of peace and quiet. After the night's adventure she couldn't wait to get back to the elfess' room and claim her reward, she couldn't wait to see her cat again also.

As they walked in silence Varka couldn't help but looking around her all the time, wondering where is that sorry little bagger who broke his promise, she couldn't wait to see him also, there was the name of her boot on his behinds, and was going to pay him back for his bad "service".

And then she saw it, a pair of eyes watching them, following them, she couldn't forget those eyes. Her, just before her was that hated cat that got her into so much trouble. Silently she placed her dagger in her hand, feeling it's comfortable feeling in her palm.

She quickened her pace, wanting to catch this cat before he'll have the chance to run away into the night. As they got to the door she noticed that it was gone. With a loud "GRRRRR!!!" She ran to the spot where she saw the eyes, slicing the air in a hope to find something. With eyes opened like crazy she examined her surroundings, hoping she will see it, and kill it, her first reward for the night.

Post by Guest »

OOC: I'm sorry to see you go Dyfed, best wishes!

"Well! If that wasn't an adventure, I don't know what is! Although can't be compared to the incident with the five cyclops's of the south, now could it? No, lass, nothin' could quite compare to that. Walked away with a scuff or two on that'n, I did. Aye, they like to bite, they do. Have a hard time bitin' when their lips are sewed shut with me axe, though, eh? Eh??"

Patch roared with laughter. He was so involved with his story, he didn't notice the cat eyes or Varka's reaction at all.

She was growling and running like a madwoman before Patch stopped.

"Eh? Lass... the ale's this way, y'know?"

Post by Guest »

Night in the city. Darkness and shadows all about. The area was silent but for the protests of the last few bar patrons. The sound of the fountain in the Drunken Duck’s courtyard was easily audible, even from the front of the building. A few shadows shifted as clouds crossed the moon’s light.

The cat, if there had been a cat, moved more quickly than Varka. The dwarf found herself slapping at the empty air.

The Duck at this late mark was quite a different place. There were only a few last customers about the common area and the grumpy old barman was trying to get them to finish up.

He gave an exasperated sigh as the two dwarves entered the establishment.
“Can I get you somethin’ a’fore I close up?”

Return to “Dort Archive”