The Gilded Gates (Entrance Thread)

Moderator: Mods

Lira

The Gilded Gates (Entrance Thread)

Post by Lira »

The Gilded Gates

The city gates lack any sort of truly fortified strength. Made up of ornately sculpted metal and climbing, flowery vines, they are clearly made more for ornament than for true protection. The safety of the city is, instead, left in the hands of the armored guards that patrol its streets, and stand at its gates. Five stand outside the quiet gates, no matter what time of day. They are always and uniformly dressed in blindingly polished metal armor bearing Roque's crest. They are silent as they watch visitors pass them by.

Just within the gates, protected from sun and rain by a matching overhang, sit two men at an expensive and handsome wooden desk. Quills and sheets of parchment sit in front of them. Another guard stands beside them, quietly watching any newcomers who approach. A sign above the desk - lettered in gold calligraphy - reads "Information" in Elvish, with its Common Tongue translation beneath it in smaller, less ornate script
Last edited by Lira on Mon Feb 03, 2003 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Issac Ygdwood

Entrance

Post by Issac Ygdwood »

Issac Ygdwood was exhausted by the time he had reached the gates of a new city. Unsure where exactly he had stumbled upon, he had decided that his first goal was to ask around for information. A few guards were patrolling around, and this wanderer thought perhaps it would be best to question the authority on the streets first. The small frail body approached the much larger and stronger watchman. Issac began to speak, but the guard stopped him and pointed at the location where a wooden desk was set with two men sitting behind it.

The black-haired alchemist squinted to look at the sign which was neatly placed on the desk a few dozen yards away from him, but could not make out the language. Issac only spoke human and as he approached the desk, he hoped that the two men would understand his native tongue.

As he made his closer to the desk, he looked around and marveled at the amazing site. Taverns, shops, homes, and civilization existed behind the city walls. It had been a long while since he was in a town. Issac was a wandering scientist whose life long dream was to transmute oridnary materials into items of use. He had hoped maybe that a trip into the outside world would help him concentrate and learn. Time passed, he didn't achieve much, and he eventually chose to return to the Western Kingdom. This bustling city was his first stop.

Finally, he reached the two men. "Hello, I am Ygdwood," he began speaking with a smile on his face, "what town is this and can you point me in the location of a local tavern where I can bite to eat?"
Lira

Post by Lira »

The smallest of the men looked up. He was a wiry, studious looking little fellow with a receeding hairline and buck teeth. He smiled nicely in welcome though. "Egodwood? Interesting name, Can't say I've heard it before. Is that how you say it, or did I not hear rightly? How is that spelled? Is it your first or last name?" He pulled a small sheet of paper off of the desk and held a quill over it with inkstained fingers.

He blinked as the larger man next to him nudged him gently. "Oh, I'm sorry. This is Roque d'Ancourt, young man. And for food . . . well The Dog's Home Inn is a nice enough place. It's brother tavern, the Goose and Gander's nice as well, but tends to draw a higher-rent kind of crowd. May I ask what you plan to do in our city?"

The larger man - darker skinned with a shaved head and meaty forearms - caught Isaac's eye. "Did you run into any trouble on the road lad? We've not had many coming through with the troubles, lately."
Issac Ygdwood

Post by Issac Ygdwood »

That moment Issac heard the little man mention Roque d'Ancourt, he breathed a sigh of relief. It seemed as though he had made it far into the realms of civilization once again. When he was a young lad studying at home, his father and mother his teachers, he had heard stories of travlers trekking out of the Western Kingdom and the few places they would pass by would be this city. Now he was here and Issac wasn't really sure how to begin.

"Ygdwood," the newcomer spoke again and he spelled out the name as the man holding the quill scribbled down some notes. "My first name is Issac," Ygdwood added. "Trouble you say? Well, little trouble on my journey in search for new knowledge. The occasional troll who would kick you in the shins didn't bother me too much. In fact, I've grown used to life outdoors." With little contact with people in the last few years, Issac just went rambling on not knowing when to stop. He spoke of his goal of learning "the art of alchemy" and a farfetched dream of living with the gnomish tinkers.

After a two or three-minute conversation, Issac's stomach growled fiercely. "Well, I better be off. Haven't eaten in days," the hungry wanderer said. But before he left he told the nice men, "I plan to stay a while and perhaps find a mentor who will teach me more about the magics and sciences. Is there anything I should know about this town before I venture in?"
Last edited by Issac Ygdwood on Sun Mar 16, 2003 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lira

Post by Lira »

The larger clerk's attention visibly wandered during Issac's rambling and enthusiastic response. The smaller one smiled warmly and looked attentive, though. When Issac had finished, he cleared his throat. "alchemy, eh? Can't say I know anything about that, but you certainly seem enthusiastic about it! I'm sure you'll do well. Not sure where you can find a mentor to teach you. Best bet is always the taverns, I suppose. People there tend to know most of what goes on in Roque. As for things you should know . . .well . . .the city is a bit crowded at the moment, and strangers are met with less enthusiasm than the past. King's Court is knee deep in some awful plague, and many here fear it will spread, so newcomers aren't all that welcome. But it's still a good city. Placid and safe enough - just be a bit aware of what's around you, is all."

The bigger man nodded and grunted. "Aye. And stay clear of the Freely Poured, and any of that Jaded riffraff. Nothing but trouble there."

The little man cleared his throat and shifted. "Right. Well here's your pass, and welcome to Roque." He gave Issac careful directions to both the Dog's Home, and the Goose and Gander Inns, and then waved a cheerful farewell. "Go and get some food - you look half starved!"

OOC: You may now enter Roque. :) You may go to either the Dog's Home, and enter the existing thread, or go to any of the other existing starter threads. There are a few more locations listed in the Starting Places thread, and you may start a thread with one of those by following the directions there, if you prefer.
Brionna Galenn

In search of a new begining

Post by Brionna Galenn »

Brionna's nerve almost failed her as she approached the highly ornate gates of the city. Would she really be able to go through with her plans? And was this place, with its decorated gates and brightly polished guards, the place to start? People in this city must have money, she told herself sternly. Why else would they put on a show like this at the gates? And people with money make good customers. With that sound piece of reasoning in mind, she quickened her pace slightly and stepped through the gates.

She paused for a moment to admire the ornate elvish sign, also considering that it seemed Elvish was a major language here. Glad as she was that she had learned a little from the few elven patrons of her parents' shop, she wished that this had extended to deciphering their written language as well. She could recognise it as elven script, but that was as far as she got and was eminently grateful for the translation beneath.

Realising that it probably looked a bit odd to be standing staring at a sign, no matter how elegant it was, she shook herself and stepped up to the desk with a bright smile. "Greetings," she began politely. "I have a few things I could do with some information on, begining with somewhere clean and cheap where I can find lodgings for a while."
Lira

Post by Lira »

The small man at the desk looked up and blinked. "Hello Miss!" He told her warmly, his eyes flicking over her with a sort of nervous appreciation. "There's not much to be found cheaply in Roque I'm afraid. Your best bet is the Dog's Home - there's a cheaper place to be found, but it's not somewhere a pretty - erm, I mean a nice girl like you would want to be." He blushed a bit and looked down at the desk as the big man beside him snorted in amusement and leaned back.

The bigger man rescued his embarassed co-worker. "Can I ask what you've come to Roque for, miss? What you plan to do here? And did you get here with little trouble?"
Brionna Galenn

Post by Brionna Galenn »

Brionna felt the blood rush to her cheeks at the man's slip, and she smiled self-consciously. She wasn't sure if he was being serious or not, although he certainly seemed genuinely embarassed as well, so she turned gratefully to the larger man and his question.

"I had no real trouble that I can recall, save the trouble of travelling alone fo rthe first time and not being entirely sure of where I was going." She chuckled ruefully. "I probably should have been here a few days ago, save that I took something of a... err... scenic route. But I'm here to search for business opportunity. I have some skill in that area, and spent my whole life working in and around my parent's shop, so I felt it was time to strike out on my own." She carefully left out the more bitter side of the story - how her father refused to acknowledge her potential and her resulting thrist to prove herself to him. It didn't seem appropriate to be sharing such personal conflict with two men she had barely met.

"The Dog's Home sounds fine," she continued sincerely. "I quite understand that the cheapest place in the city would be of rather more.... unsavory repute. And you're right, I'd prefer to stay away from places like that if I can." She flashed the smaller of the two men a quick grin, hoping to put him at his ease after the earlier embarassment. "But if either of you could direct me to somewhere or someone who could help me get started with my business, it would be greatly appreciated."
Lira

Post by Lira »

The big man frowned thoughtfully. "Well, you can ask at the Dog's Home. Inn's tend to hear o' jobs before anyone else does. And you can ask around at the The Happenstance Bazaar, see if anyone there is hiring. Nobles always need someone to stich up their fancy clothings, or run their errands, if you can find one willing to hire you. Might be better off asking at the Goose and Gander fer that, if you can't find any at the Bazaar, or the Dog's Home." He sighed. "Bit harder to find work these days, with so many extra bodies in the city. But I'm sure you'll do well."

The smaller man seemed to have recovered himself, though he didn't quite meet her eyes. "Right, well if you give me your name I'll write you up a pass and we can direct you to the Dog's Home, and anywhere else you like."
Brionna Galenn

Post by Brionna Galenn »

Brionna held a brief internal debate about how to give her name. Did she indeed have any right to claim her family name any more? Was she even proud enough of it to want to? And would it mean that word would get back to her father about where she was and what she was doing? Still, not to give it would be to invite more questions, and she had already decided not to go telling all and sundry of her personal trials. So she would have to give it, and take the chance that her father would hear word of it. The only other available option - to give a false name - was even riskier. Besides, she didn't know that she could come up with a plausible one that didn't simply connect her with someone else she knew.

She smiled charmingly, hoping that she hadn't stayed silent for too long (the debate had been swift, but it could look suspicious if she hesitated for too long over giving her name), and replied, "Brionna Galenn is my name." She spelt it out carefully, figuring that if it was an official document it may as well be correct, then waited for the document and directions.

Layton Tracassar reaches the Gates

Post by Guest »

It had been a long, dusty trip. More than once the tired young man had been grateful his clothes were mostly leather; his linen shirt had gone beige with all the dust, but the leathers didn't look bad. His fine boots were not in the best appearance, so he spent some time sprucing up before he got up to the gates, to enter this new place.

It had been a long trip for him; but he longed to get away from home, where the reminders of the life he wanted to lead, but could not, were everpresent. He was too short; and then there was his looks. Finely soft, long flowing blonde locks, with curls most women envied; large emerald eyes, and a girlish face. He'd attempted to grow a mustache but couldn't make a decent one show up yet. And even with the rapier and knife, and the simple bag he carried, the clothes that were serviceable more than made for looking fine....there was one thing that went noticed. He was pretty.

Pretty dusty, too. Ever since the boat, he'd been dusty; a bath would be wonderful. But he didn't have a lot of money, and he'd have to find work soon; any work, because young Layton couldn't afford to be proud. He could cadge a few things off of people he met, perhaps a room for a night or two (he liked a warm bed, with someone in it)....but then he'd have to make his living. With resolve, for he had some spirit to him, he set forth to the gates. This looked like a fine place to start an adventure.
Lira

Post by Lira »

Brionna
The small man wrote her name carefully as she gave it to him, and gave her a warm, still somewhat shy, smile. "Well then, here you go!" He handed her a pass, slipping an identical sheet of paper into a box at his side. "Now, if you want to get to the Dog's home, it's quite easy. The Bazaar isn't much harder." He gave her careful directions to both places, pausing frequently to make sure she had it straight. "Well, I think that does it. Welcome to Roque d'Ancourt, Brionna!"

The bigger man beside him chuckled. "Come by and see us again sometime, lass. Now on your way." He gave a friendly wave.

OOC: Brionna, you are now free to head into Roque. You may go to the Dog's Home, as it is on the current sych date, or you may go to the Bazaar, or one of the other starter locations. If the place you want to go isn't listed, look in the OOC threads for instructions on starting a new thread. Welcome to Roque!

Layton
The young man approached the gates in time to see a slim girl walking into the city. The pair at the desk were watching her, smiling a bit. The guards nodded in welcome as Layton passed, though the didn't miss the fact that they also assessed him quite carefully.

The smaller of the two at the desk smiled in welcome as he turned back and saw Layton approaching the desk he occupied. "Hello. Can I help you?"
Brionna Galenn

Post by Brionna Galenn »

Brionna gave the pair a grateful smile as she slipped the paper into a pocket. "Thank you both," she replied warmly. "You've been a tremendous help. I'll buy you both a drink if you ever drop by the tavern, I promise." With a quick grin, she turned and headed into the city in search of the inn. It would be best to find somewhere to leave her things first, before she went to see what the Bazaar had to offer.

OOC: Thanks. :)

Post by Guest »

"Good day to you," said Layton politely, to the one at the desk, with his sunny smile. "I would like to come into the city to seek employment.....and quite frankly, would appreciate your letting me in - and the directions to a bath house." He grinned then, his hands well away from the rapier and knife, his cloth bag with his few carried possessions over one shoulder with rakish style.

He was also giving an appraisal of who he was looking at; Layton's choice of lovers was quite open, since he knew no one in this place and a warm bed shared was better than a cold one alone, anytime.
Lira

Post by Lira »

Both men seemed oblivious to Layton's appraisal. "Well, we're not turning anyone away from Roque - not yet anyway. So you're welcome here, so long's you don't cause too much trouble."

The smaller man gave his larger companion a quelling look. "Now now. It won't come to closing the gates to newcomers. The Orcs seem to have passed us by, for the most part. Bath houses . . . well I'm afraid their reserved for the nobility and the well-to-do merchants. But the inns all have baths for the taking. You'll find one at the Goose and Gander, or the Dog's Home easily enough. Not sure about the Freely Poured, but then you're better off staying away from that place anyway."

The wiry man shuffled a stack of papers a bit. "Now, may I have your name please? And your business in Roque?"

Post by Guest »

"My name is Layton Tracassar, and I am seeking employment, perhaps as a guard - but I'm open to other jobs," said Layton, politely. "Thanks for the advice. And what did you say......Orcs ? There's Orcs around ?" He had never seen one, only heard stories.

The lovely emerald eyes were round with curiousity. Making him look even younger.....but he was as curious as a bagful of cats.
Lira

Post by Lira »

The bigger man snorted. "Funny how many are coming through lately not knowin'. King's Court's under siege. Orcs at the walls, scratching to come inside. King's off on some kind of mission, and the Regents got the city closed tight against invaders and visitors alike - not that visitors can make it through alive anyway. Roving orcs have attacked almost every small town and village within a few miles of the city. Roque's fuller than she's ever been - which makes jobs harder to come by than usual, I'm sorry to say. But I'm sure you'll find something. Some nobleman's wife'll be sure to hire a pretty lad like you - no offense meant, of course." He added the last in a rush as his smaller counterpart elbowed him and gave the other man a glare.

The smaller one cleared his throat. "Well, you can ask around for jobs in the inns - they usually know where a job's to be found. Or ask in the Bazaar, if that fails. Guard is accepting just about anyone these days - on account of the orc attacks - but they serve outside the gates unless they're elite enough to serve in the city. Have to pass some kind of tests. I'm not too clear on that part. NOt really the military type I'm afraid." He smiled and handed Layton a pass, slipping a matching sheet of paper into a box at his side. "Now, the city's not too hard to find your way around. It's fairly simple." He carefully gave Layton directions to both the Goose and Gander Inn and the Dog's Home, as well as the military barracks and the Bazaar. "Now, unless you have more questions, you're free to go! Welcome to Roque."

OOC: You're free to head into the city. You may go whereever you choose. You may go into the dog's Home or the military barracks threads that already exist, as they are on the current synch date, or you can start a new thread using the starter posts in the OOC threads for this forum. Have fun, and Welcome to Roque!

Post by Guest »

Layton smiled at them both, glad that he'd made an impression. Now, if only that impression could go beyond his looks......

"Thank you both," he said politely, and put away the paperwork in his sack. He would head to the Goose and Gander first, to get cleaned up; then see about finding work.

OOC: thanks !
Paegan Shepherd

Post by Paegan Shepherd »

Ahhh. At last.
The Gilded Gates towered above Paegan with it’s ornately decorated walls. Paegan stopped in front of the gate with a small pause of awe.
As a child he had previously traveled to Roque once, and even then he had hardly been past the gates that were above him now. To the simpleton farmer’s son that Paegan was, such things were above luxury and a true novelty.
Looking nervously around him, he noticed the guards that stood at the gates. Dressed and disciplined, they had given him little more than a sideglance.
Paegan grinned. Taking a rather large step forward he stumbled slightly. Surprised he cautioned himself. He was extremely exhausted and should pace himself until he found himself an inn or a safe place to rest.
Since he left his farm several nights ago on his travel to Roque D’Ancourt, he would be suddenly awakened by strange noises. The howls of beasts he had never heard and the sounds of many feet had awakened him twice only, but once was enough to keep him on a nervous edge. Doing little more than walking at all times even he was exhausted, (not to mention hungry…and smelly.)
Running his hands through his dirty hair he walked past the gates with a grin, and a vibrant sparkle in his eye.
Azric

Post by Azric »

"Hey, HEY!" A muscular guard with a shaven head stepped in front of Paegan as he tried to walk through the gates. "Not so fast, chum. Visitors to Roque have to register," a thick finger pointed out a polished desk at which sat a smaller, balding man clad in polished armor.

"Hello," the smaller man said, waving Paegan over. A thick registry book sat open in front of him, with a quill pen and inkwell conveniently placed beside. "Welcome to Roque D'Ancourt. Just write your name down, or mark an X if you can't write. What's your business in town?"
Paegan Shepherd

His smile was suddenly replaced by smiled confusion as he was herded towards the desk from the guard. The imaginary entourage that followed Paegan suddenly vanished as his grand entrance was abruptly stopped short.
Slightly disgruntled, he stood in front of the desk, guessing blindy where he was to put the "X" on the registration sheet, the supposed "X" looking more like a "y".
"Er...that shoould do it...as for my business...", the grin once again appeared on his face, along with the obnoxious twinkle in his eye. Putting his hands on his sides, he momentarily "felt" the feeling of warm light beaming from the heavens, and he thought he heard the sound of a choir, singing a holy hymn, "I'm here to become a great champion, true to his word, a warrior of ethics and morals, and a fierce defender against evils!"
Puffing out his chest unignorably, his grin became a large smile, and attempted to create an atmosphere that...just made him seem pitifully rambunctious, "I...wish to become, a great mercenary!" He stayed in his stance, taking a pause, half-expectadly waiting for an applause.
Azric

Post by Azric »

"Mercenary, eh?" the guard behind the desk traded a sidelong glance with his burly colleague. "Well that sort's certainly in demand these days, what with all the troubles on the road. You might want to apply at the military garrison; the forward patrols are taking most anyone who can swing a sword."

"Can I get your name, lad?" the balding guard glanced down at Paegan's 'signature'. "Just so's I can add it to the register. Official records and all."
Paegan Shepherd

"Uh...Paegan Shepherd..." once again, surprised by the lack of the others surprise...or any other dramatic expression, Paegan started feeling a bit self-conscious, "Um...what troubles have been happening on the roads if I may ask...?"
Suppressing the urge to throttle the man's, "anyone who can swing a sword." remark, (also unsure whether the remark was directed directly at Paegan, or just a general bit of information.) Paegan swallowed and went on, "And may I ask which direction it is to the Mercenary's Guild then?", also, ignoring the military comment.
Azric

Post by Azric »

"What troubles?" the larger one repeated, incredulous. "Where've you been livin', chum? Under a rock? The orcs have laid seige to King's Court! His Royal Highness has fled the city, the woods around here are full of orcs....why, a young man like you, travellin' alone, you're lucky to have made it here alive!"

"Indeed," the balding guard added. "The city guard is losing men on patrol almost faster than they can muster them. A rotten business, it is. At any rate," he scribbled Paegan's name next to his mark and stamped the entry; "You'll find the mercenary guild hall on the other side of the bazaar. It's a great warehouse, can't miss it. Good luck, lad."

The muscular guard stepped aside and both guards gave a final nod to Paegan before resuming their duties.
Paegan Shepherd

Paegan tried not to show too much of a worried face. The news that orcs had appeared made him think of his family. Hopefully, they were safe, somewhere within Roque d'Ancourt most probably. However he had much faith in his family to take care of themselves and suppressed the his bothered conscience. This was his big adventure. He couldn't afford to get sidetracked now.
Giving quick thanks, Paegan walked towards the direction where the mercenary guild was supposed to be.
Nothing was going to stop him now. He was going to fulfill his destiny!

Return to “Roque d'Ancourt Archive”