The Light of One Monastery

Moderator: Mods

Lira

Post by Lira »

The One God holds sway over all of the Western Kingdom, and Roque is no exception. Here, Dominicus and his worshippers are housed in opulent surroundings. The Monastery is one of the oldest buildings in Roque, and it wears its years with dignity. Here, Monks labor in the worship of their god. Many noblemen send their children here to be educated by the well-learned Monks who offer their services as teachers.

The wooden gates of the Monastery are open at all times, and any who wish to are free to enter its walls. But like many places in Roque, there are unwritten laws that govern its operation. On worship days and Festivals, the nobility makes there way here to worship in the daylight hours, while the lower class toils away. At night, they retire to their estates and the commoners are free to make their way to the Monastery. It is not a law that is enforced, but a commoner who ventures to the Monastery on a noteworthy day during the day will be greeting with more than a little disdain, and a nobleman seeking to worship his god at night will be met with suspicion.

The building itself is large, airy and domed. Inside, its long, well lit corridors lead to small and large prayer rooms, offices, and classrooms. Just inside the wooden doors is an array of low wooden benches surrounded by clean, flowerless plants. Everything within easy sight is colored a cool, sterile white. Worshippers and Monks alike move through the building, the Monks easily identified by their stark white clothing.
shadow

Post by shadow »

A wayward traveler of Roque Shadow knew of their domaint religion he approached the Monestary with a hint of caution he had long since given up on relgion. He and his fathers favorite saying and the only thing he will ever agree upon with his father is Why serve someone when you can serve someone when you can serve yourself just as well He entered the doors admiring the deceration inside

He tentivaly walked the asiles very cautious after all seeing no other prescence who wouldnt be? He said "Is any body here I am searching for answers and to belong to a faith if you can give me one reason why i should join that i cannot counteract i will consider worshiping The One"
Azric

Post by Azric »

OOC: Shadow, please read the Roque OOC thread. :)

5th of Samheen, Eveningtide

The candlelit dome was empty this evening, surprising considering the widespread uncertainty that lay outside its doors. Shadow's words echoed through the monastery and for a time it seemed his call would go unanswered.

But presently a frail-looking white haired man stepped out of the shadows, clad in the white robes of a servant of the One. He smiled benevolently at the newcomer. "Greetings, sir. Just how may I be of service?"
shadow

Post by shadow »

ooc: I have read it i just think the issue of my religion needs to be adressed if you want to wait til we finish at the garrison we can

Shadow is startled when the man adress him. "Kind sir, i have a few questions about why i should side with your god instead of the Gods he denies exisists" he waits for his reply to this question
Azric

Post by Azric »

OOC: Not to worry, Shadow. I only wanted to make you aware of the consequences of multiple threads before a problem arose. As it stands we can deal with both threads quite comfortably. :)

The priest nodded patiently. "I suspect, young man, that you would not have come here if you didn't already know the answers to your questions. But I will gladly help your mind unlock what your heart already knows. What is your name?"
shadow

Post by shadow »

Shadow looked at the old man thinking could he read into my soul? He shook this off as just an affect of the night or something. He looked out a window and back at the old man "I have no real name that I like to claim but like the shadows of the night so is my name Shadow" He breathed out heavily "my real name i disowned a long time ago like my own queries of religion. If it werent for my father..." he paused running his hands across the scars on his face remembering the pain of his childhood

Shadow collapsed on to one of the pews still concious but shaking
Last edited by shadow on Mon Apr 28, 2003 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Azric

Post by Azric »

The priest put a frail hand on Shadow's shoulder. "Easy, young man. Your path has been a difficult one, that much is clear. But if you can talk about your trials we can begin to heal you in the One's grace."
shadow

Post by shadow »

"Well one thing i was taught when i grew up was not to serve anything you could not see" shadow paused remebering the day his dad thaught him that.."my dad was also a drunk i drink but not as much as my dad did he was the town drunk and when he hadnt had at least 12 ales a night he would well you see the evidence of what he did on my face" his ice eyes locking on to the preists "This is why i have always been in a spiritual conflict i feel as if there was a God or Gods why would they leave such a young man in the hands of.....", he paused looking for the right words in a house that many thought was holy but to shadow he did not know yet he knew of the stories but had dismissed them as myths or natural disasters not the work of a other worldly being

he sighed heavy and waited for the presists response to this his story and waited for evidence that there was something pulling him here to this monestary
Azric

Post by Azric »

"The One created this world and all there is in it," the priest replied, softly. "Along with all the beauty and joy he placed in the world, He also brought to it orcs, disease, pain and death. Many a scholar has dedicated his life to such a question--why did Dominicus bring evil to a world which He loves so dearly?"

"In ancient times, the elder races invented pagan religions to worship this aspect or that of His will, ignoring the bad while celebrating the good. But this was not a solution, and it gave the One great offense. Pan, Pecunia, Mother Earth....these are not real deities but names given to differing aspects of Dominicus' divine authority. When one pays homage to them at the expense of others, one ignores the many gifts the One has given us, including those that we do not yet understand. It is ungracious and ignorant."

"I cannot explain, young man, why the One allowed you to suffer so as a child. Perhaps it was meant to harden you for a great task later in life, it is not for you or I to say," for a moment the priest raised his gaze beatifically to the heavens, hands clasped in a gesture of prayer. "Only He can answer that question. And for you to hear Him, you must first accept His influence in all its forms, even those unpleasant to ourselves."
shadow

Post by shadow »

"But this means that i would have to drop my sword even for the innocence i protect i am not like my dad i know there are forces working in this world to which we are unknow to us how else could this world be so beatiful but I've heard so many 'deties' at least the one seems like he could plausibally be real" He paused thinking back to the day he turned his back on religion he thought to himself What a differnce three years makes now im sitting in a monstary with a man i dont even know the name to disscussing The One He looked at the preist "I'm sorry but I never caught your name" he sat back wonderin about the other questions that circled his mind[/u]
Azric

Post by Azric »

"You need not yield to evil to accept that it is a manifestation of the One's will. Even now, as trouble stalks this kingdom, paladins of our Order struggle to resist the orcish marauders. When Dominicus creates evil, He does not intend for it to stamp out all the good that He has done. But, certainly," the priest added, "there are ways to protect the good in this world without resort to violence."

The elderly man paused to let this thought sink in, and to nod a greeting to two women who passed them in the aisle. "You may call me Kazimir," he said at last.
shadow

Post by shadow »

Shadow looked the old man in the eye and smiled the resistance of violence against men was the reason he did not join a real religon and he had always protected the innocence finally he said to the man, "how do you know so much about a God that never shows his face", shadow said walking around the old man with an inquisitive look on his face
Azric

Post by Azric »

"Dominicus does show His face, for those who are willing to look," Kazimir replied, calmly. "We have texts, of course, which teach us His words and His will. King Balthasar, His living avatar, is said to speak with Him directly and receive counsel; and other faithful have felt His presence even if the communcation was not as......explicit."
shadow

Post by shadow »

Shadow sat there thinking looking down he thought to himself how could i beleive in a God that does not speak directly to me shadow drew back confused about all of it he thought yet wait did he not say that The One has shown himself to another person he sat back down in the pew clenching his headJUST MAKE THIS CLEAR FOR ME he thought his head pounding
Azric

Post by Azric »

Kazimir sat down beside Shadow, watching the young man with symapthy. "You are conflicted, young one. Perhaps you ask too much to resolve your turmoil in a single conversation. I assure you, if you keep your heart open to Dominicus, sooner or later He will reveal Himself to you and your doubts will all be answered for."
shadow

Post by shadow »

"This is true Kazmir you are a good preist for your God maybe if i clear my mind of my demons that i have battled for years now" shadow looked off to the side "way to many years my mom i never knew she she is basically dead to me leaving me at the age of two with my drunken father whom even tho his blood flows through me I have grown to hate" He looked around the monastary "he is the only reason i never really went looking for the answers to the question of if a God or Gods exsist which if i am correct this One is the one that created this world and all its spleandor" he rose to his feet after the rushing thoughts were out of his mind "well kazmir Id better be going the patrol will be looking for me if i dont show up soon"
Azric

Post by Azric »

The priest smiled. "May the One light your path," he said, making a gesture of blessing. "I wish you luck on your patrol, young one."

He did not rise, dwelling in silent contemplation while Shadow made ready to leave.
shadow

Post by shadow »

Shadow looked at the old man such a resliance in this man for his age But then again isnt it always said about man of faith are resliant againts the evil that is around them shadow stuck out his hand for kazmir to shake it if he wanted "Again I hope to see you and maybe when we meet again we may be brothers in the faith of The One form what I hear he has his ways of opening the heart of even the most cold hearted human"

He walked down the aisle to the door, looked back at the man then took his leave form the monestary.

OOC: this will more than likely be my faith in this realm but then again wait and see in the next two or three post or storylines to see where i take my character :P but thank you Azric for putting up with my obvious lack of writing skills in the third person im getting used to it im even using it in the book i am writing
Azric

Post by Azric »

OOC: You're doing just fine, Shadow. :)

Just as a point of background; the dominant faith in the Western Kingdom is the Church of Dominicus, so if your character declares himself for another religion, like the Cult of Pan, he's likely to face official persecution. This doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't do it, but be advised that there are in-game consequences.

Also, and I admit I've set a poor example of this myself, please try to keep all OOC comments in the Roque OOC thread. They are set up to reduce the clutter of OOC chatter in the gaming forums.
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

ooc
From the contents I'm guessing this thread is closed :)
Please correct me if I'm wrong!
[size=75]Gavin:She's the emerald eyed agent of chaos
Vanir:She's cute, it's her personality that gets in the way
Ulder:Syra is a great shredder of paralysis through analysis
Elvin:We call it the Law of Improbable Syrabilities

Return to “Roque d'Ancourt Archive”