Roque d'Ancourt OOC

Moderator: Mods

Lira

Roque d'Ancourt OOC

Post by Lira »

Please use this thread to post all questions about threads or events in Roque, so moderators can keep the Out of Character content out of the story threads as much as possible. If your PC was not born in Roque and has traveled here from somewhere else, your first post MUST be at the "Gilded Gates" entrance thread.
Last edited by Lira on Fri Feb 14, 2003 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brionna Galenn

Post by Brionna Galenn »

Hmm... not sure if it's good or bad that I'm the first to post a question in here..... ;)

Anyway, I just wanted to check on what the standard is for running concurrent threads. For example, I've been given some information and rough directions by the barkeep at the inn. Before heading off, however, I'm settling in for a pint and a chat with a new friend. What's the ruling on starting a seperate thread in the location I've been given directions to? I have goten th eidea from reading the site that it's allowable to do this, but I want to make sure I'm not buggering up the timeline (mine or anyone else's) before I jump in and do it.

Thanks. :)
Lira

Post by Lira »

Multi-threading can get complicated, and can limit the story options open to your moderator. If you have a thread that begins in Doug's House at sundown, and another that begins the next morning, then whatever happens at Doug's house, you HAVE to be somewhere else by next morning. So whatever happens in that first thread is fairly limited.

That being said, interaction threads can often be done. Since Layton and you are just talking, you could concievably start another thread where Brionna hunts for a job. However, that means that Layton can't decide to join you all the sudden, or the inn can't be attacked by crazed killer monkeys in the middle of your conversation. ;)

I'd prefer if you stick to one thread for the moment. If it goes on much longer, I'll go ahead and start you in a second one. Alright?
Last edited by Lira on Sun Apr 06, 2003 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brionna Galenn

Post by Brionna Galenn »

OK, that's fine. This is the sort of reason I wanted to check with you before I went ahead and did it. :) I shall contain myself, then.
Azric

Post by Azric »

Hi Shadow,

Since you've joined a number of threads in Roque I wanted to give you a heads-up on the perils of timeknotting and the Tazlure timekeeping system.

First of all, technically you've done nothing wrong. Tazlure encourages concurrent threads as a way of promoting character development while keeping the storyline moving. Its not uncommon to be posting to one thread in a tavern meeting up with fellow PCs, and posting to another thread dated the next day or later describing your subsequent adventures.

Its important to keep in mind, though, that time in Tazlure is linear, much like the real world. What we don't condone is players posting to threads willy-nilly, without consideration for what happened before or after the events they are describing. As you play in Tazlure, your character will become part of an evolving story, often part of a global storyline involving and affecting other PCs. For everyone's enjoyment we like to keep that story making as much sense as possible. :)

We'll take your case as an example. You posted to the Roque gates thread first(which is the correct procedure) and simultaneousely to the military garrison thread. Usually we use the gates thread to help nudge a PC into a suitable area for his player's interests, but since you knew what you wanted before I got to you I let it slide. The garrison thread is currently dated the early morning of the 5th of Samheen, so I timestamped your arrival at the gates to assume you went straight from there to the garrison house.

Now, by accepting the job as a militia guard, its now expected that your character will spend most of the 5th in training at the garrison, and show up for duty the morning of the 6th. Because your patrol will last from the 6th to the 10th, and its hard to judge what might happen over those four days, its not advisable that you start any threads in the timeframe of or after Shadow's first patrol. Anything you say or do in those threads might contradict events that still need to be played out. We call such contradictions 'timeknots'.

This doesn't mean that Shadow can't have visited The Light of One Monastery at some point. It just means we have to find a window in time in which to place the thread. For simplicity's sake I chose the evening of the 5th, after Shadow's training but before he needs to report for duty. You're perfectly within your rights to roleplay the encounter with the priest but you should be careful to avoid saying or doing anything that might reflect on parts of the militia training that have not been played out.

Clear as mud? Bottom line: follow-up on the Monastery thread if you wish, but be careful about entering multiple threads in the future. And if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. :)

We now re-join our regularly scheduled programming.
Brionna Galenn

Post by Brionna Galenn »

Sorry to be a pain, but I'm still trying to figure out the whole timestamping thing. In the Dog's Home Inn, it's the end of my day. Do I wait until everyone else in that thread has also finished with that day before I 'wake up'? I'm guessing the answer is yes, but I figure it's better to check first. :)
Azric

Post by Azric »

No, Brionna, you don't have to wait. :) It would be helpful to add a timestamp to the top of your post, so that people still playing on the 5th don't react to or address your character.
Brionna Galenn

Post by Brionna Galenn »

Ah great, thanks. :) I promise I'll get a handle on the whole time thing eventually.... ;)
Azric

Post by Azric »

I can give you ten more minutes. If you don't learn it by then, your character will be incinerated by divine thunderbolt. :twisted:
Brionna Galenn

Post by Brionna Galenn »

*giggle* I'll get right down to it then. ;)
shadow

Post by shadow »

Azric no you didnt set a bad example like i said there are many things i have to get used to tazlure is a new thing to me like i said OOC concerns in my rps are always adressed on the story so ive got to get used to that :P :D
Benedikt Tenni

new to Roque d'Ancourt

Post by Benedikt Tenni »

Hey. I'm new here, so i'm not sure how to go about starting... should i just start writing somewhere, or should i wait for a moderator to place me somewhere? I'm fine with either. If its possible, i'd like to keep my character in one thread for now, so i don't confuse myself too early =)

-Bene
Azric

Post by Azric »

Hi Benedikt,

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I completely overlooked this thread. :oops:

As your character is from Roque D'Ancourt, you can start anywhere within the city that you'd like. There are a number of opening posts in the 'Starting Information' thread; you're welcome to copy and paste one into a new thread and add your own first post.

If there's another location you'd like to begin with let me know either here or in a PM and we'll work something out.

Welcome to Tazlure! :D
Benedikt Tenni

Post by Benedikt Tenni »

It's quite alright, Azric. And hello.

I started Benedikt at the Freely Poured Inn, in a rather long post. I hope this is alright... i promise i'll try to avoid writing so much in the future. I also hope that what i wrote is okay, considering it's my first time and all. If not, feel free to tell me and i'll edit/redo the post.

So, um, i know i'm putting Benedikt in a risky position to start with. I am aware of this, but i wouldn't have it any other way for him. If it lands him in jail or dead or whatever, that's fine. If not, i'll continue with whatever happens. Either is fine. I, or rather Benedikt, is at your mercy.

-Bene
Azric

Post by Azric »

Wow.

That was a very well-written opening post, Benedikt. We don't normally let PCs take so many liberties with the scenery; things like NPCs, story hooks, atmospheric details like you included are the province of the GM. A player's post should include details of the PCs actions and thoughts alone.

Since you obviously put a lot of effort into your first post I'm not going to ask you to edit it. I'll pick the story up from there--hopefully later tonight as I have a lot of family matters to take care of today.

Other than that, bravo! You certainly know how to make an entrance. :D
Benedikt Tenni

Post by Benedikt Tenni »

Thank you. But i didn't really put much effort into it... i'll redo it if you want, its no big deal. Sorry for adding all that stuff into it. I know i'm not the GM, but sometimes my story gets the better of me. I'll limit myself in the future, i promise =)

And take your time replying... family is certainly more important than any of this. I'm in no hurry.

-Bene
shadow

Post by shadow »

hey i do have a que that i even over looked if i dont have to worry about it yet ill wait.....but how do you do timestamps i know its a lil late to ask but ya know i have to know lol :lol:
Last edited by shadow on Fri Jul 18, 2003 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alec D'Marchaut

Post by Alec D'Marchaut »

Hi, I just got approved and put my first post up at the "Gilded Gates" thread, but I've got a question about "time stamping." How do I know what day to start at?

Thanks, and I look forward to writing with y'all. :D
Selune

Pets?

Post by Selune »

Hi! :) I was wondering if it's okay to have a random stray cat on the streets that Selune will adopt. She loves cats and needs one, so if it's okay she won't have to go to a pet store . . . :)
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

It is possible, but you will need to work that out with your moderator to occur IC. Also, the player should not create or control NPCs. This means that even after you have the cat, it's actions will strictly be determined by the moderator. :)
[color=hotpink][i]The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Selune

Thanks!

Post by Selune »

Aw. :) Okay, that's alright. I hope my moderator is a cat person! :) Thanks!

Post by Guest »

Just wanted to say that I'm still looking for moderation, since the other OOC thread related to moderation has vanished from this board. Been waiting for a while now, going on a month.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Dorian,

I told you I was looking into it.. and I am. You are not forgotten. :)
[color=hotpink][i]The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

My posting will be sporadic until further notice, my wife is going into hospital next week.
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

Best of luck to both of you, Dorian.
[size=75]Gavin:She's the emerald eyed agent of chaos
Vanir:She's cute, it's her personality that gets in the way
Ulder:Syra is a great shredder of paralysis through analysis
Elvin:We call it the Law of Improbable Syrabilities

Return to “Roque d'Ancourt Archive”