Awaking in the High Temple ~ Aeris

Moderator: Mods

Ashari
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

Awaking in the High Temple ~ Aeris

Post by Ashari »

OOC: Welcome to Amun Rah! If you have any questions don't hesitate to PM me or post in the Q&A thread at the top of this forum

IC:

Samheen 18th ~ Late Morningtide

The swanmaiden's arrival to Abu`Sahir had luckily been just as twilight was edging over the city. The building she had sought was the High Temple, and it didn't take her but a flicker to spot it after she entered through the main gates. It was a large an impressive buidling situated in the center of the bustling community.

However, it had nearly been two tides since then, and the fair swan awoke within the temple, not quite sure how she had found her way to the spring fed shrine to Anasis in the secluded part of the temple, where the priests came to pay proper homage to their goddess. Here it was cool all the time, and Aeris was surrounded by native plants of lake Mu-At which had been her home for the past nineteen yahren.

A rustling, on the edge of the pond, sounded through the peaceful chamber as a priestess bowed at the edge of the pool and placed her hands within the crystal clear water to cleanse for her morning prayers. She had with her a plate with fruit and breads, as well as a glass that the slightest bit of steam was oozing off of. Cautiously this was placed on the tiled floor next to her knees which almost touched the water's edge. The woman, beautiful by Amunic standards, wore a blue robe over her dark skin. Jet black hair hung losely behind her head tied with a leather thong, and her eyes, were lined thickly with kohl.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Aeris Mourir
Civus

Post by Aeris Mourir »

Aeris awoke in a strange place. She could sense the water that was located in the room, but the swan didn't dare move yet, for the sound of another being occupied the water-chamber. Her fear subsided and she lifted her beaked head up to peer about the room. Suddenly, the greenry that covered a few spaces became a constant smell. Once she noticed such a feast hunger struck her.

The bird hopped to her feet and began to waddle over to the food. She peaked at a leaf here and there, but didn't really decide on anything particular to eat.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"Good morning." The priestess called over to the swan. "I hope you've rested well, you seemed tired after your journey. No doubt your head is a little fuzzy." Smiling she lifted the tray and walked around the pool to be closer to the swan, but hopefully not so close as to make her uncomfortable.

"My name is Nadia. I am a priestess of Anasis here in Abu`Sahir. You've found your way to the temple. Here..." She moved the plate a bit closer. It was common knowlege that the swans generally ate vegetation, but from her own experience of feeding ducklings, they also enjoyed breads as well, she hoped the swanmaiden would be no exception. "Eat, and then rest some more. You've journeyed far. From Mu-At, I suppose." It was an interesting phenomenon to speak with a swan who could not talk back, but Nadia tried to make the best of the situation.

She was a pleasant woman, and had a certain calming energy around her that soothed what worries Aeris might have. Kneeling before the swan Nadia smiled and took a deep breath. "I do not know if there is anything else you need..." She paused, wondering if there was some way the swan could convey any need if she had one.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Aeris Mourir
Civus

Post by Aeris Mourir »

As the woman spoke to Aeris, she backed up a step or two, and fix her black orbs onto the female. Another hesisitation ran through her feathers, and she puffed slightly, making evident that she would defend herself if necessary.

I am tired, and hungry, she thought angerly. Where am I? she said, but all that came out was a honk with a soft undertone of a hiss.

After the priestess introduced herself, Aeris calmed down a bit, finally realizing that the human wasn't going to understand her in her current state. The young swan gave one last skeptical glance before giving in to Nadia's proposition.

Aeris waddle her way foward, taking slow strategic paces. The swan remained puffed, fluffing her wings next to her sides, appearing a bit larger than she should have.

She finally reached the platter in which the woman patiently held out, eyeing the assortment of meatless products.

Bread, the angel longingly thought before peaking at it with her beak. She took a few nibbles of the pastry, and then moved on to the vegetables and fruit.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

The puffed up bird brought a hinting at surprise to Nadia's face, but she was far too calm to let it get beyond slight shock at the hiss and honk. "Shh, it's alright. I'm not going to hurt you. I promise. Here, I will leave you to eat in peace." Quietly she stood, her robes making the slightest sounds as she moved away. "And you can relax your feathers, really." A smile crept at the edge of the priestess' mouth with the joke at how large Aeris was trying to appear.

So, there she was, left to her own devices. The fruit was sweet and easy to swallow because of how soft and ripe it was. Handy for someone with no teeth. The breads on the other hand were a bit on the crusty side, but still offered plenty of sustinence for the hungry swan.

Sleep came quickly to Aeris once her stomach was full and she had found herself a proper place to nest and relax in safety. The bright disk of Anasis' glory, currently a sliver of it's full potential, rose as the night fell. The Temple was caught in the darkness, but hardly was it silent. If anything there was more bustling activity as the marks grew later. However, the chamber was still silent. No one had entered since Nadia left.

Samheen 18th ~ Early Eveningtide
Aeris Mourir
Civus

Post by Aeris Mourir »

Aeris was content with being left to herself. She didn't know this woman, and she also did not know what the priestess planned on doing with her. Suddenly, the bird panicked and she frantically peered around the room, searching for a door or an open window. The females eyes fell upon the water and it seemed to have soothed some inner part of her for the fear disipated.

Although the bread was a bit on the crunchy side, she didn't mind it. Aeris enjoy savoring the bread, taking chunks and mashing it with her tongue against her upper palate. It was a tiring exercise, but she could only do so much without being able to actively chew.

After Aeris had finished most of the produce on the plate that sat before her, she found a comfortable spot near the fountain and she kneeding a little before settling down.

She tucked her beak behind her wing and fell into a comatose sleep. The exhausted girl could have remained in a unresponsive state for quite a few burns, but even in her slumber she felt the change.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

It had always been a strange feeling, no matter how many times she underwent the polymorpy between swan to woman. There was a stretching feeling, and then the sounds of bones moving and readjusting throughout her body. A series of pops and crunches, not unlike when snapping the vertibre of one's neck, filled the chamber, and then Aeris was left at the edge of the water in the form of human. A robe, similar to the one that Nadia had been wearing, was laid out on a table, which Aeris hadn't noticed before due to being below it. Now, at her full height, she was able to see a very different view of the room.

A door on the other end of the chamber was closed, it had been the one the priestess used to exit when she allowed Aeris time to rest. Outside activity of people buzzed. They were searching for a place to pay homage, especially slaves, who were now finally out of the fields and able to spend their time as they pleased.
Aeris Mourir
Civus

Post by Aeris Mourir »

As the shift began, Aeris held no resistance to it .. for to due such a thing would be more painful than the morph itself. After she had put aside her feathered cloak, she strolled to the table. Her walk held something out of the ordinary. Most nude woman pace with a sexual touch to their hips, rolling them slightly, not Aeris. She didn't stalk to the table, but merely found her way.

The shift always left her slightly disoriented, but she gathered her composure quickly, and quicker than she had when she first came to her abilities.

Finally reaching the table, she peered down at the robe and wondered if it was for her. Surely they have no idea... She slipped into the clothing and made her way to the door the priestess exited.

The maiden reached for the knob with her long, pale dexterious hand, but hesistated half-way in the air. She could here the muffled shuffle of people ouside the chamber. Aeris took a step back, fearing to go out into the midist of people. A deep sigh took her by surprise and with renewed confidence, she turned the handle and dove into a different kind of pond.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

The robe slid over her shoulders with a cool smoothness. It was a light fabric, and yet it felt strong and warmed her as soon as it settled over her skin.

In opposition was the doorknob, which was very cold to the touch, and even as her hand hovered over it while deciding whether to enter or not to leave she could feel the chilled air hanging around it. Once stepping out of the chamber she was met with a flurry of activity. Priests and priestesses rushed about with arms full of things. Offerings, for the gods of the island. Every evening was the same. The temple was inundated with such homage for Anasis, Uphuron, and for their ancestral ghosts as well.

A familiar face moved through the crowd. "Good evening, m'lady of the lake." Nadia smiled and gave a small bow, her hands pressed together in welcoming. "You are looking much better than you did yesterday eve when you found us. Are you well rested? And, by what name am I to call you?" The stories of the swanmaidens had been told to children for generations, Nadia had never met one in all her life, however. She was there when Aeris made her first transformation into swan form. Nadia had been the only one there, though all of that was rather fuzzy in the young swanmaiden's memory.
Aeris Mourir
Civus

Post by Aeris Mourir »

At first glace, the flurry of people was just a blurr. Her brain didn't register the fact that she was in a room full of complete strangers, until the door clicked shut behind her. As the support slid into place, a jolt of fear ran through her bones.

Surely, she seemed different from everyone else. Aeris knew what she appeared as, an extremely fair skinned woman with orange lips .. how many others look the way I do? she frantically thought.

Before she realized her hand was back on the door handle, but her body shielded it from the untrained eye. The angel was about to return to the safe-haven of the watered room, when a familiar voice sounded from the croud.

Her escape route hoovered on the cold metal even as she witnessed Nadia stepping foward. Yesterday eve... she thought, her black eyes widening slightly. She knows. Suddenly the maiden wiped the expression from her face, leaving the woman standing before her with neutral eyes.

Aeris took her cue from the priestess and bowed as well. "Good evening," she replied in a sincere voice. "Is this room used for any specific means?"
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"The room you stayed in? It is a room of prayer. Saved for those who are chosen of Anasis and those in need of her healing and saving. You seemed to somehow fall into both categories." Nadia replied softly. "Are you hungry? I can take you to a room that isn't so... busy."

The priestess noted the fact that Aeris still with held her name, even after being directly asked about it. She wasn't sure why the young woman would do such, but, being a follower of Anasis she knew there had to be a reason for it. "There are more secluded areas of the temple. And my own private sanctuary as well, if you would prefer." She was a calm woman, and the air of serenity hung around her even the bustling surroundings.
Aeris Mourir
Civus

Post by Aeris Mourir »

Aeris sighed. I have no one else to trust ... and if Nadia fails to be trustworthy, I suppose that is something I am going to have to risk.

"You would let me use your private chambers?" she asked in a skeptical voice. I don't know. I need the water in this one, but this room is for prayer, and I can't deny that right to the followers. What to do, what to do...

"Is there water in your prayer room?" the flicker she finished asking, her blood ran cold. Why would someone need to know that? It was ridiculous to ask ... not to mention something bizaar to inquire about.

"Nevermind," she quickly added to her last question. "I would be content if I was about to use your room for a bit of time .. just let me get my stuff." Just from the mannerisms that Nadia held, Aeris knew that the priestess knew about her abilities.

The swan turned around and entered the room in which she just emerged from. She gathered up her mantle and made her way back outside. Aeris' face was bearly noticable for a magnificent shielded most of her frontside. The young female was beautiful herself, but the clothing was a sight all by itself. Bright white feathers covered the entire coat, or so she would have told the inquiring mind.

"I'm ready," a muffled voice said from behind the white cloak. Her chin popped up from the bunched object and placed it firmly into a niche to hold down some of the feather-covered skin. "Now that I can see as well, lead on." A flicker or two passed and she added, "and thank you."
[i][color=brown]"I am that merry wanderer of the night."
--William Shakespeare[/color][/i]

Avatar manipulated by Ashari with stock photo by LaraFairie
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Nadia smiled. "There is a fountain, but not a pond. You may have use of this room once more at dawn, if you would like." She replied and then bowed her head as Aeris left to gather her mantle. When she returned a brighter grin spread over her lips as she tried not to laugh at the predicament of the young woman before her.

"You're very welcome." Once the girl got control of the feathers Nadia lead onward through a hallway that was traversed by more members of the clergy, looking somber and peaceful the way the high priestess did. She lead the onward until they reached a door which Nadia opened to allow Aeris entrance. It was another quiet chamber, though different than the other in the fact that this was more obviously for work as well, since there was a desk veiled behind some sheer fabric. A small fountain sputtered water up in arcs to land back in the pool, only about three feet in diameter, but definately a focal point of the room, as surrounding it were many cushions and pillows.

The walls themselves were covered in mosaic tiles, offering beautiful patterns of stylized flowers and rivers of blue water flowing. Continuing up into a domed ceiling were clouds and in the very center, above the fountain, a moon. Several orbs hung in the air, seemingly lit from within, and yet it was not like candle light, but rather clean white light that shimmered and almost seemed to pulsate. These balls of light were stationed mid-air througout the room, and were no bigger than Aeris's head, and some smaller.

"You may set your.. cloak.. down over there on that sofa if you would like." A blue sofa had blended in with the surroundings against the left hand wall. "And please, come sit." Nadia moved over to the pillows and drew her legs beneath her to kneel.
Aeris Mourir
Civus

Post by Aeris Mourir »

As Aeris followed the priestess she noticed the incessant buzz of activity around her. The angel didn't know what all the commotion included, but she figured it was to ready themselves for the day ahead and to also pay homage to the Gods, of course.

When the door opened, the woman was almost taken back by the delicateness of the room. She observed the tiled walls, beautifully structured as she knew that someone took the time to make this chamber that intricate. Aeris saw the fountain and was slightly relieved, but realized that is was not going to be large enough to .. sustain .. her.

The woman took a step foward and look at the priestess. "I can't thank you enough ... I guess I can start with my name though .. it's Aeris," she added before covering the last few paces into the magnificent room.

The lights above the women were a mesmerizing feet none the less. Aeris took a flicker too long to gaze about the pulsating orbs. They were a pleasnt sight to behold, and as she as she broke her trance-like state, fear struck her. I mustn't allow such mysterious things to take me by awe, she cautioned herself.

Aeris walked to the couch and strategically placed her coat down, much in the shape of a swan. She sat down with it at her back, leaving the rest of the furniture to Nadia. "This room is exquisite," she announced to an already knowing audience.

Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"Aeris, there is no need to thank me. I am blessed to have your presence here in the Temple. Anasis is a goddess of much mercy and caring, I merely try to follow her example. Do you heed her calling?" Nadia asked, her dark eyes meeting the angel's black ones and causing them to appear light in comparison.

"It's magick..." Nadia offered as she watched Aeris stare at the glowing orbs. "Exquisite it may appear to our untrained eye, but it is nothing like the sanctuary that Anasis has awaiting us in the sky above." The high priestess smiled. "But, for now, this will have to do."

Standing from her spot she moved over to one of the orbs and raised her hands around it. The beautiful woman was quickly illuminated by it as she 'carried' it over to where Aeris sat. Really, she lead the floating ball, it appeared to almost be tethered to her fingertips. "See?" Slowly she sank to her knees before the sitting angel and held the light up, pulling her hands away she left it to hover between them. "The last High Priestess of Anasis tought me such tricks."
Aeris Mourir
Civus

Post by Aeris Mourir »

"I may not need to thank you in your prespective, but from where I sit ... that is a completely different side," she stated.

"I heed the Mistress of the Lake, when I can ... it is rather difficult in some of my other states. Although completely aware of my surroundings, it is not always easy to voice what I care to say," the swanmaiden added.

"Magick?" she questioned. "I have never seen any sort..." only able to trail off as the woman watched Nadia do her stunts.

As the ball sat in the air, slowly pulsating, weaving back in forth in the air, Aeris raised one of her hands as if to touch it, but let it fall into her lap. I am no priestess... she silently said to herself.

Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"Anasis hears our prayers, and she feels them in her merciful heart. There is no need for words." She replied. "So you don't need to worry. I am sure she understands."

A brief paused followed as Nadia moved the ball, but Aeris's response caught her off guard. "Never seen magick?" Her tone begged that this was a rediculous statement in her eyes. "My dear, you are a creature of pure magick. Everything of you hums with it. Especially now, so soon after your change."

"Can you not feel it?" She asked.

As the young angel reached up her hand to touch the ball of light it grew just a shade brighter. "You can touch it if you want." She replied. "It will not hurt you."
Aeris Mourir
Civus

Post by Aeris Mourir »

"My magick is a bit different from what you wield," she expressed. "The change leaves me with a slight tingling, but it fades quicker and quicker, and I seem to lose that sense of energy that resides in my core with each change. I feel it, yes, but I am almost immune to such of my own aura," she added in a depressed tone.

"Regardless," Aeris hastily added before Nadia could interrupt. The angel took her cue from the priestess and raised her hand once again to the hovering ball of light. She passed her hand over it feeling the pull and friction that poured from it. Eventually the woman lowered her hand to be engulfed in the white mass.

Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Nadia nodded as Aeris strode onward and placed her hand into the orb. Around the angel's hand it was as if there were water. It was definately viscous, and thicker than the air, making the movement of her fingers slightly hindered. It was actually warm inside the bubble, but not overly so that it would burn. As Nadia had said it was not a painful process. In reality, Aeris could feel something within her, something that wanted to join with that which was all wound together and glowing infront of her.

Ever so slightly the ball glowed brighter, and a bit larger. Nadia quickly raised her hands to move the orb.

"It may be different, but there are differences between each person's magick on the entire of Tazlure. You are blessed by the Goddess to have been born with a gift. All around you there is a buzzing of activity. I could teach you to find it, if you would take Anasis into your heart fully and completely."

Playfully she rolled the orb around in her hands, shrinking it to the size of a marble and increasing it's intensity tenfold in the process. "But that decision is entirely up to you." Nadia added.
Aeris Mourir
Civus

Post by Aeris Mourir »

Aeris welcomed the resistance of the magick. It was if she was in her swan form, while her feet were semerged underwater. As she waded through the liquid, her scalely feet felt much of the same force.

"Anasis should be glad to have such a devotee as you, Nadia," Aeris confidently announced.

"I could wrap the teachings of Anasis around me like a blanket, but the question is, do you have the patience for such an ... uneducated pupil?"

Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"I am blessed to have found the teachings of Anasis at all." Nadia replied and there was a more somber touch to her eyes beneath the surface of tranquility. "You would be a perfect pupil, Aeris." The woman reassured. "You already know more of magick than I did when I began since you come from it, and experience it every day of your life."

"The task will be of teaching you the ways of The Goddess of the Lake." She said. "Do you know her story, how she came to save the people of Amun Rah?" Lifting her hands Nadia placed the ball in the air above them to light their conference as she moved to the couch and sat down next to the angel. Idly she brushed a lock of her dark hair from her face. It was so long, and so straight. Thick and black and smooth. Cascading over her thin boney shoulders it was almost like water drifting off the rocks.
Aeris Mourir
Civus

Post by Aeris Mourir »

Aeris shook her head no. "Other than that she gave the people water, I know little about Anasis and her ways. It was more vital for me to learn how to defend myself, so the meeting between our Goddess and myself was avoided until it was truely my time," she simply stated.

"I am here to listen, please, share."

Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Nadia nodded. "Yes, she gave us water in a time of great need." She paused. "I will tell you what happened, according to the stories that have been passed down from generation to generation."

"Many yahren ago, in a time before there were written words, when Uphuron had just created our land and populated it with men and women, he was taken by the beauty of one of these women. He begged for her to join him in his palace in the sky, but she refused time and time again. Looking down on his creations he began to hate them. The sungod said he would destroy everything and everyone if she would not marry him. She still refused."

Nadia here shook her head.

"So, he began to lay waste to the island. What had once been a beautiful paradise started to smolder. He began at the eastern edge of the isle, where the mountains are, and then pushed his fury westward across what is now the great desert. The skies turned orange and filled with black smoke, the people did not understand what was happening. Uphuron came to her again, and she again said no, so he gave her another chance, and went to the north of the island, and then to the far west, until finally all the people had fled to the south, where we are now. He told her that this was her last chance."

"All the while, unknown to him, the beautiful woman had fallen in love with another man. That is why she refused to leave. He was a farmer, and in Uphuron's great fury he had destroyed all the farms."

"'Fine, I will go with you, if you let the people be,' she said to him. He, of course agreed, for all he wanted was the beautiful woman. So, she joined him in his palace in the sky, but the heat was more than she could bare. She had been a woman of the trees, enjoyed the lakes. Seeing her so tortured he created a place in the sky just for her." Nadia's eyes rose to the moon embellishment on the ceiling. "Anasis was allowed to rest there during the evenings, and when she was out of his sight she watched her farmer, and slowly helped him by giving him water."

"It didn't take long for Uphuron to realize what was happening. He had no problem with breaking his promise to her though, and his flames grew brighter until he was laying them across what little there was of the island to burn. Anasis, the most beautiful woman of all, took such great pity on us, and what he was doing, and began to cry. She cried for days, and nights, and days until she created a lake in the center of the island, and the, her farmer helped her to dig a create river to feed Abu`Sahir, the last refuge of the people."

"Uphuron couldn't believe what she had done, and yet he was proud of her, and the choice he had made. Any other woman would have bowed to him and his glory, but she would not bend. He was also proud of his men, who had created something of their own, and were already building the greatest city the island has ever known. It was because of this that Uphuron gave the farmer the title of leader of our lands. He thought that the man was the strongest there would ever be, and through his family we have been lead for yahren upon yahren."

Nadia smiled.

"Anasis, you see, not only granted us the water which we may drink and prosper with, but also with our great Rafao. She is a strong woman to be proud of following. Her spirit is unbreakable." Nadia's hands wrapped around Aeris's. "There are many other stories, my child, but perhaps they are saved for another day."
Aeris Mourir
Civus

Post by Aeris Mourir »

Aeris just sat where she had before and listened. It was probably one of her better attributes; to be able to listen to the words that escaped someone's mouth .. most definitely her father's trait.

"That was an amazing story, and enlightening. As with Anasis, I see in you another will that will not break. As with Anasis, you share a sense of kindness that few others show. There comes a time in everyone's life when kindness is the only thing to save another," she added.

As Nadia touched the young woman's hands, she felt the silent chill of fear pass behind her eyes, but also she pushed it away as quick as it appeared.

"Yes, maybe other such stories are left for another day. For now, what do you advise we do?"

Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"I'm glad you enjoyed it," she replied. Her hands were warm and soft over Aeris' small cool ones. They looked so different, like opposites, the angel fair and cream colored, where as the priestess was dark and carmel. Yet, they had much in common. Nadia smiled at Aeris' compliments of how much she was like Anasis. "I believe there is a little bit of Anasis in all of us, especially women, as there is a kindess that passes between mother and daughter. I'm sure you know of this."

"You spoke of training you've had already. Self defence? What were you taught?" Nadia asked her, trying to stray away from the religious teachings to get to know the girl a bit better. "Can I offer you some tea, while we talk?" The priestess asked, and was already rising from her seat.

Return to “Amun Rah Archive”