"On the Defensive" - MT - Samheen 19

Moderator: Mods

Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

The lazy content feeling settled over him like a fog blanketing the ground. As she put her arms around him the feeling intensified and he felt himself snuggling closer against her.

He let the comment about leaving her to a simpler life pass without comment. He completely understood what she meant about how loving someone complicates things so severely, yet at the same time it was something that most longed for. He understood it so well because he shared the feeling with her.

"It's not strange that you feel confused and good at the same time. I certainly understand that. This is all fresh and new and can seem overpowering. I share that with you, because I feel the same way for the most part. The only difference for me is that from my perspective, I've never been more clear and sure where I am. I came here for you. The Gods have made that clear to me."

He continued to gently sway, holding her close and enjoying the sensation with every fiber of his being.

"Are you hungry? Perhaps we should go someplace to sit instead of being out here in the dirt." He chuckled softly at their current seating arrangement.

He looked around at the fields. Both of the best things that had ever happened to him, happened out here. He loved the city and the water to be sure, but this was a magical place for him and he treasured it.
Elaine
Royal Poet

Post by Elaine »

Ulder's certainty was almost shocking, involving the gods in meeting her. Still a little voice tried to ask Elaine whether she had any doubts about her feelings right now.

The answer was no. Every turn she had taken in the last few days simply led back to him. It was the strangest realisation she'd ever had and yet the most logical so far.

"Overpowering..." The girl mused, settling in Ulder's arms. "Yes, that is a good description. It's pulling me under and I don't even feel like fighting it anymore. Oh..." Elaine clapped a hand in front of her mouth. "I didn't mean I wanted to fight it...I mean...well, ehrm, I guess I did anyway. Good Mother, I must have been behaving horribly!"

A clear laugh followed. "Hungry? Ulder, if anyone ever wanted to loose weight, I'd recommend for them to sit in the fields like this! If there is anything my stomach is not thinking of, it's food...it's turning all by itself already!"

The blush crept up to her cheeks again as she smiled at the guardsman. My guardsman. "I don't mind sitting here. It's nice." The words were far from adequate in describing what it was she felt, but it was a start.

"I guess I would not mind going elsewhere either...it's all rather foggy right now. Better take care I don't walk under a cart!" The girl grinned. "Kidding, my brain is still attached, I think."

Elaine was reluctant to let the man go. Now that the first bridge had been crossed it was hard to imagine them crossing it again once this magical moment was over. A great part of her wanted to hold on to this enchantment, while another was trying to educate her in matters of 'too much of a good thing'. It was the greater part that held the upper hand sofar.
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

His hand sought out one of her own and he clasped it tightly, enjoying her smooth skin against his own.

"Fighting is exactly what you were doing. But that doesn't mean you were behaving horribly. You were doing the same thing we all do. Myself included. You were protecting yourself. I was trying to make you see that you had nothing to fear. Not from me anyway."

He scanned the fields as he spoke, not focusing on any one thing, nor looking for anything in particular. It was a simple habit of being so comfortable with someone that one didn't need to sit and stare. He thought Elaine wouldn't care about such things anyway so it was largely without thought.

"Sit right here it is then. I Just wanted to make sure that you were getting everything you needed. No carts need get involved."

He couldn't resist kissing her again. He cupped her cheek and leaned in closer. The feeling of her lips on his own was intoxicating, and he urgently wanted to feel that again. His kiss was soft and tender and he ran his hand through her hair like a comb. The very scent of her took his breath away.
Elaine
Royal Poet

Post by Elaine »

The colour stayed in her cheeks as Elaine's thumb played over the skin of his hand. "If I am afraid, it will not be of you, Ulder." She answered softly, but with a very clear intent. "I might scare myself or life might frighten me, but you I will not fear."

The girl felt Ulder turn his head. Undoubtedly there were things to simply keep in mind out here and she was glad to be here with one that knew the city and it's inhabitants.

"Oh, I think I am getting everything I need." Elaine answered, nodding her head slowly.

And so unexpected it is! Who knew Ulder was what I needed? Mother, I think you knew.

"Just make sure you don't forget about yourself." She smiled, feeling him turn back to her. Next she knew his lips touched hers again and her heart skipped another beat.

His warmth spread from her lips through her entire body like a lake in summer. The gentle hand through her hair created goosebumps all over. All the girl could do was simply enjoy it, her mind going haywire with waves of unknown impressions.

Butterflies went nuts, her inner smile grew until her heart was just about ready to burst right out of her chest. An urgency grew and the girl had to kiss him back, prolonging the moment 'til they had to part to breathe again. The man simply felt too good to just let go.

Okay...I guess he's not forgetting about himself.

Post by Guest »

~Captain Ulder, unless you wish to find yourself cleaning the stables for the rest of your days, I suggest you report to my office, at once!~ Marius sent the silent summons, no one but Ulder would be privy to it.
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

He broke from their kiss suddenly and without warning, expecting the Major Domo to be standing over them and expecting him to immediately stand and follow. He looked around, trying to find the source of the voice he'd just heard.

"Did you hear that?" He asked Elaine quietly.

He sat dazed for a few flickers before fully realizing that the voice in his head was just that, only in his head. He was shocked that such power could be held by the Major Domo. It took the hardy soldier a moment to regain his composure and his bearings.

"Elaine. The Major Domo has just summoned me. It was just his voice inside my head just a flicker ago. He did not mention the reason, only that he is expecting me immediately.

He sighed heavily. He hated that his being with Elaine was being interrupted.

"I'm sorry. I should probably go and see what he needs of me. I'd like to make it up to you though. Perhaps we can have dinner tonight. At the Dragon? My treat! What do you say?"
Elaine
Royal Poet

Post by Elaine »

The breaking of their kiss was the perfect anti-climax. Elaine blinked in surprise, expecting an outburst of some kind, perhaps even a dismissal -remnants of the first 'boyfriend' she'd ever had.

Yet the guardsman's behaviour was not accurate for anything like that. The swift look around, the slight tensing of his muscles, this all pointed to him expecting something to happen.

"I did not hear anything." The Achadhiel replied carefully.

Sure enough his next words brought her heart up in her throat. "The...Major Domo..."

Ease down. The man is power hungry, you already knew that. This does not have to be about anything really. Good Mother, let Ulder be careful...let him be safe.

"He summoned you...what right does the man have to invade someone's thoughts." The girl muttered. "I know, I know...you had best go. The man is unpredictable at best. I have no idea what this could be about, unless he wants to be involved at security around the Caesar's illness. Don't feel bad over this. It is hardly your fault."

Carefully Elaine unwrapped herself from Ulder's arms. Pity. She thought. It had been such a wonderful, magical moment.

"Be careful." She warned him, squeezing his arm. "Guard your thoughts with silly songs and little poems if you have to. Do not trust his guiles....why am I telling you this? You already know."

Elaine shook off a shiver. "Dinner sounds fine." She manages with a smile. "Before we try to go and see the Caesar or after? I have no idea about his current schedule now that he's feeling so bad...but I still feel very strong about seeing him as soon as possible. I'll walk you to the palace. I have nothing else to do. Why not explore the Citadel Song while you're busy?"

Trying to make light of the freezing cold inside her stomach the girl boldly placed her arm through Ulder's, hoping to walk to the palace together.
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder stood, brushing grass from his clothing as he did so. He reached out to help Elaine to her feet.

"I had no idea he could even do such a thing so his has taken me a bit by surprise. I'm glad you understand. I didn't want this to... to end. Let alone end in such a manner."

He bent over to pick up both of the staves and handed Elaine her elaborately carved one.

"I will guard my thoughts. I thank you sincerely for that warning. I will be as cautious as I can. If he's capable of that, there's no telling what he might do face to face."

"I was hoping that it would be before we see the Caesar. I would very much like for you to have a full stomach and as much energy as possible in dealing with the likes of his situation."

He walked with her back to the Palace, idly chatting on about kids playing in the street, describing the light and how it was playing in shadows and other things that people in new relationships find fascinating when the other speaks.

When he reached the point of parting with her, he pulled her close and kissed her deeply once again. He had never had a difficult time saying goodbye to someone, let alone someone he was going to see later on in the day before. Yet something inside him hurt when they had to part. It was almost like leaving a piece of himself with her.

"I'll come find you later tonight. Thank you for... well for a wonderful morning. I'll never forget it."
Elaine
Royal Poet

Post by Elaine »

Elaine carefully kept her fears at bay, not wishing to scare Ulder before he had even met the man. Perhaps there was a good reason for this meeting...another than simply wanting to exert power.

Instead she turned her attention towards the kindness Ulder showed her by revealing what he saw around them. It was a pleasure to simply listen to his voice and to the way he described their surroundings. Many a time there was so much one could learn from someone's choice of words. This was no exception and it only reaffirmed what Elaine already felt: this was a good man.

The smile inside grew. How had she ever doubted there was room for him in her heart? How was it possible that she had withstood the torrent of emotions flooding her every time she heard his voice? The mere mention of her name was enough to send the butterflies flittering, turning her stomach upside down.

The end of their little stroll came too soon. Her heart sighed, then skipped a beat or two when she felt herself being pulled close once again. Cherishing the moment the girl could do nothing but place her arms around the guardsman and prolonging the kiss just a tad bit.

"Mother of all...I think I'll need a few to get back to reality..." The blind woman smiled. "You make it very hard to think, Ulder of the Purple Guard. Are you sure my feet are still touching the ground?"

A last squeeze in his hand. "I can hardly believe what happened. Yet it did, didn't it?" Her eyes reflected that silent joy inside. "We will meet again for dinner. Be well, Ulder...I..." Again that shy smile. "I wish to spend many more moments with you."

With this she stood on her toes and kissed him lightly on the nose, still surprised by the lack of beard. Quickly she turned and found her way inside the palace, afraid she'd not be able to let go of him if she turned back.

Good gods...what a man.

Skipping a step Elaine virtually danced through the hallways, out of sight.
Twilight
Retired staff

Post by Twilight »

THREAD SKILLED
A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

(avatar by Talon Yoseijo)

Return to “Inner City Archive”