Anurith's Golden Ram ~ Rylas

Moderator: Mods

Ashari
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

Anurith's Golden Ram ~ Rylas

Post by Ashari »

Samheen 19th

The walk back to the tavern wasn't any more difficult than any time before, excepting for the fact that the hot sun shone down on Rylas' shoulders with much ferosity. The carpet he carried, though appearing of thick and sturdy material, was actually very light to carry, nearly feather-weighted actually, and so it didn't do much to change the journey from the underground lair.

Back at Anurith's itself, there was still only the activity of the scurrying boys tending to their chores of cleaning up the tavern. None of the girls had been called in to do their dancing routines, since there were none to dance for, and it would make little sense to distract the employees with the assets of the likes of Scarlet or the other women.

Yabal sat at the bar still, and perked up as Rylas entered through the door. There was a gleam in his eye as he spotted the old rug that the young courier carried. "Oh! Excellent!" He walked out from behind and took hold of the worn tapestry and unfurled it quickly, glancing down it's length. "Been a while." He looked up and grinned. There was an odd quality in his dark eyes that reminded Rylas of youth. "Here ya are then." He reached into his purse, and then thought on it a flicker. "Better yet, just consider last night on me." He said and smiled some more as he rolled up the red and gold carpet.

As he did so a red cheeked, and stunningly beautiful, young girl burst through the door. "Lianelle! You look a fright!" He placed the carpet on the bar and moved over to her. Hot tears were streaking down her face. "There, there." In the most fatherly of motions that could be seen, he wrapped his arms around her and she seemed to calm.

"They.. they took Rakhash! He's in the jail!" Her words were interspersed with sniffles and a cough as she cleared her throat. When Yabal let her go, Rylas got a fuller impression of the woman. She had long black hair, at this moment it was pulled back in a braid that snaked down her back, but her running through the streets of Abu`Sahir had freed tendrils of the locks to frame her face. Full lips were red from the exersion, and her endowed chest heaved both with stress and as she gasped for air.

Crossing her arms over her stomach she turned her watery eyed gaze toward Rylas. Her eyes were deep black, like pools that neverended. In her village, she was said to have eyes of the oxen that feed at the river bed, deep and sad. In this moment she lived up to that description. "Wh-who are you?" She asked him.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]

Post by Guest »

Rylas's mind would've been buzzing with the snippets he had been treated to from Tedrin. He would've been imagining what the illicit leader was planning to do with a pack of armed men. Would've, that is, if his thought processes hadn't been halted by one particular realization.

Hot. And bright.

He wanted to move quickly to get out of the heat, but the quicker he moved, the hotter it was. He figured, at least, that if he stayed in Amun Rah for very long, he would eventually cease to look like an outsider and become burned as dark as the locals. A little grimace came over his features as he imagined himself biscuit-brown, head shaven, and he decided his hood had a new purpose besides anonymity. Better to bake, he decided. Seems Tedrin did not put his hideout underground just for the atmosphere. Pushing through the Golden Ram's entrance, he tore off his hood in relief. Grasping his hair, he peeled it off the back of his neck, deciding that though he wouldn't want to shave it, it would absolutely need to be cut shorter.

With that decision came the first blow to Rylas's self-assurance that any day now he would be getting on a boat bound for anywhere else. He hadn't figured how his current actions would lead to leaving. Part of him had been avoiding it, because that part knew that they didn't. Rather, his undertakings would end in just the opposite, making him more and more rooted to the city and tied to its events.

Handing the carpet off to the barkeep, he idly wondered how he would look back on these first forays with his mentor and associates. He was a little taken back by Yabal's gratitude. What was so important about this furnishing? He was about to give in to curiosity and ask, but was interrupted by another entrance.

There were a number of impulses, tendencies, even one or two entire emotions that Rylas ignored or suppressed in the name of eliminating weakness. In his mind, the shortest path to prosperity was straight and unyielding, with no forks or crossroads. Future fulfillment required present gratification be forestalled. Such was the battlecry of the young man's analytical mind. But, another far less judicious drive began to well up, stir crazy from being so habitually restrained. One of the things that fueled his bitterness toward this land was that many of the people appeared just as dried out and barren as the landscape. But now, here was a glaring contrast.

In himself, Rylas found vulnerability quite disgusting. But in this moment - in this girl - it was, in a word, stirring. A pang of envy rippled through him for this Rakhash, that he held such apparent merit with this distressed damsel.

Muscles drew taut across his shoulders as she turned her eyes to him, each one an oasis of tears. It was the first communicable thought that had entered his head since the girl's arrival, and he would later rebuke himself harshly for its wistfulness. The pants for air and subsequent heaves, and the movement of her lips as she questioned him was involuntarily recorded, and Rylas's memory would taunt him with it afterward.

Self-awareness drifted back to him as consciousness does after a dream. He realized he was breathing through his mouth, and rather deeply. "Me?" he uttered, remembering that he was in fact present in the room rather than hidden and watching like a prowler. "I am..." He hesitated, and he glanced to Yabal in uncertainty. It was unexpectedly hard to answer. His name meant nothing, and his capacity with the only people on the island who actually knew it was not constant.

"...a postman," he finished, his own lips pursing in disdain. It was the safest and currently most appropriate answer.
Last edited by Guest on Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Lianelle had gotten used to a particular level of visual appreciation from the men she had met in her life, but they had been nobles and hadn't stared at her openly the way the man before her was doing, however, she hardly noticed it for her mind was much too distracted at this time with the events she had just witnessed. She was overwhelmed with worry over Rakhash, and it showed on her face in the wrinkle of her brow, it smoothed as Rylas stated what his business was, and she sniffled and tried her best to regain her composure.

"I didn't ask what you do, I asked who you are." She smiled softly and took in a deep breath, and with it she seemed more calm. "I'm Lianelle, but I'm sure you've already come to realize that thanks to Yabal's welcome."

The bartender decided to take this oppertunity to add his own bit. "He lives here as well, his name is Rylas, he is in the room next to that of you and Rakhash."

Lianelle nodded and seemed to brighten as she thought of something. "Oh, yes, I think I've seen you in here, at that table over there." She motioned to the right to the table where the postman had parked himself while drinking and eating and watching the people in the bar. "It's a pleasure to meet you, please forgive my hysterics just a moment ago, but I'm very worried about a friend." She looked between Yabal and Rylas. "And I will do whatever it takes to help him. Do you think it's possible to free him from the jail?" The princess then looked seriously at Yabal with concentration in her dark watery eyes.

He nodded his head, but then said nothing before he looked at Rylas. "Thanks to Rylas' employer I have something to use which can help us tremendously, and we should be able to do something. Let us go into the kitchen where we can speak.

Lia looked at Rylas. "And him? Is he not trustworthy? Can we not speak of these things infront of him?" She was rather naive, and her innocence showed in her quick ability to trust everyone she met, though recently she had been jaded by the events of her life. "I consider myself to be a good judge of character, he's a good man, I'm sure he can help somehow."

"Alright, alright, I'm not going to argue with you. Rakhash spoke of your stubborness. But you'll have to ask him if he's interested in hearing all of this." He looked around the room, during their conversation they had attracted the attention of one of the boys who was busily cleaning on the other side of the room. "Get outta here!" Yabal hollared looking at him. "Take the rest with ya!" Nodding agreement the young waiter scrambled to get up and out of the room.

"Take a seat at the bar," he said and lifted a hand. Yabal moved to the bar and poured himself a drink from a jug. It was a dark liquid with a golden hue when the light cut through the glass. "Offer you a drink?" He asked. Lianelle said please and thank you before gingerly drinking the potent alcoholic beverage. He would give Rylas a similar small glass if he chose to join them. If not, he could always ascend the metal stairs to the second floor and to his room.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]

Post by Guest »

What I do is who I am, these days. Most everyone he had come across in Abu`Sahir had a knack for correcting him whenever he gave an answer as to his identity.

Rylas could feel the bile welling up. So, this is the girl next door. Rakhash, whomever he is, must then be the "bodyguard." Certainly appears to be good work, if one can get it. Several rather raunchy quips about what might happen with noone to guard this body occurred to him, and as he realized his impulses were beginning to run away with him, it jarred him to some semblance of sensibility and control.

Yabal and Lianelle's conversation helped, as Rylas's mind became occupied with what seemed quite a ridiculous statement to him. How was an antique throw rug going to help? Furthermore, such acceptance of a perfect stranger? The girl's self-proclamation of her appriasing abilities brought a smirk to Rylas's face, just as a part of him deep down began to lick its proverbial chops. But should he get involved? Could he afford to?

He was reminded of his first few moments with Talnyah, and his imagination offered up some speculation as to what might've been had he walked away then. Not to mention that he was, for all intents and purposes, a ward of Tedrin's. Heading off on some tangent might not be best.

Rylas's rationale urged him toward the stairs. Just slink up to your room, close the door, and open a book. He took a step, but his curiosity gave him pause. What would it hurt just to sit and listen? He was always out to learn whatever he could.

He glanced at the open stool, and the occupied one caught his eye. Femenine hips curved in to a slender waist, then back out to petite shoulders, with a long black braid down the center.

Rylas sighed through his nose. As rationale was voted down, pathetic, came the last objection. He quickly, yet mannerly turned up his own drink, and lowered himself onto the stool.
Last edited by Guest on Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

OOC: Welcome back! Missed you. This next post might be sort of a lot, but I'd like to catch you up to the rest of the PCs.

IC:

The drink was strong, and smelled of the burnt oak barrels it had been cured in, but not heavily, it was a light undertone to the overall scent of the beverage. He had poured into finely cut glasses, as opposed to the earthenware jugs usually used here in Anurith's for most everything else.

"Now then.." Yabal began, and took a deep breath. "Getting out of the jail of the Desert King is no easy task. I've known but a few men who've made it out, and even then, they rarely made it off of the Rafao's little island where his palace is situated, since there is but the one path, aside from braving the giant crocodiles. So..." He paused, considering. "The first task is going to being able to get in through the bars at all. Since all of the cells have one window, that is our best bet, though Rakhash is a tall and broad shouldered boy.. so he'll have to wiggle a bit in order to get out, but I think that's a small consolation."

Lianelle reflected quietly as the bartender spoke. All of it made sense, and once again she found herself playing witness to impossible odds. "How are we going to get over there without being seen though? And... moreso, how to get back? There will be atleast two people, if not three." She bit her lip and looked at the man with misery in her eyes.

"Oh, sorry. Yes, I've got that all set, thanks to our friend here, as well as to Tedrin." He replied with a grin and grabbed the carpet. "Watch." He walked back around the counter and unrolled the red and golden hued tapestry in a single fluid motion. It fell flat upon the floor and he stepped onto it, then sat down cross-legged. Putting a hand out infront of him at a perfectly straight line, he spoke: "Rise!"

And it did.

The carpet, though weighed down in the middle a bit by Yabal, hesitantly lifted off the floor, so that even seated, he was able to see eye to eye with Lianelle and Rylas both. "The whole 'arm out in the air' isn't really necessary. It takes voice commands. -- Down." The carpet readily accepted the demand and sank back down on the floor. Grinning like a child with a new toy(or was it a child who just found their favourite old toy?), the barkeep looked up at the two young peope. "So, there shouldn't be any trouble getting there or back."

"It's safe?" Lianelle asked cautiously. She didn't really want to get dumped off of some magickal device only to land in the holy waters surrounding the Desert Palace and be a beautiful snack to a snaggle-toothed beast.

"Oh yes, yes, quite safe indeed."

"Good." She said, and watched him as he quickly rolled it back up again with practiced routine until once more it looked just like a regular carpet. He leaned it against the bar and then walked around to the otherside. Lianelle turned her little stool so she could face him once again. "So.. then it's just a matter of how to get through the bars." She paused then. "Oh! Oh, I have an idea! I can go speak to the gnome, he has all sorts of things he's working on. I bet he has something that can get through it right quick." The princess nodded.

Yabal thought about it for a flicker, and was about to say something to warn her about being careful outside of the tavern, when a man dressed in a dark gray tunic and leggings stepped into the bar. "Rylas." He said, and looked at the young man at the bar. "Message for you." The delivery boy procured a note from his pocket with similar markings as the last one that he recieved from Tedrin. He gave a curt bow, and then turned and left the bar once again.

Rylas,

I need you to go to the Gravetide Market tomorrow evening. There are mummerings of something going on, and I'd rather not have to hear the tale through second hand stories from slaves. The Rafao is gathering his army, be on the look out. Be there before the candle burns to Gravetide.

--Tedrin.

"That was the same fellow who came before." Yabal said about the messenger. "From Tedrin, then." He looked at Lianelle who was possitively confused. "He's a powerful man. Our friend has good connections. Now, Lianelle, I need you to be careful when you leave here. Perhaps you should take someone with you." He looked at Rylas pointedly before turning back to her.

OOC: Feel free to join the Gravetide Market thread now to get in on the action!

Post by Guest »

Rylas tok measured swigs of his beverage, glad to have been given something to do with himself besides sit and listen. With his eyes tethered to the liquid as he swirled it about, and his brain trying to figure out if he had ever tasted anything similar, it was easier to keep the pair from further gorging themselves on Lianelle.

As Yabal began to detail the plan for retreiving the lout that Lianelle was so concerned with, Rylas began to wonder about the angles. In particular, what was the connection between the involved parties? As he wondered at what services Yabal provided the dark adhiel underlord, he was reminded again of just how little he knew about the barkeep. Rescuing this Rakhash didn't have the feel of something Tedrin would be involved in, and yet he hadn't seemed to give it a second thought when asked for the favored throwrug.

A rug whose usefulness became glaringly apparent as Yabal demonstrated. When he first stepped onto it, Rylas gave an incredulous smirk. The charade vaguely reminded him of something Rylas might've done at play when he was a little boy. But the smirk became a gape as the rug rose, and the postman nearly spilled the last of his drink onto the countertop.

There was a moment of silence in his mind before the various voices that were the aspects of his conscious began chattering wildly. The range of possibilities for such a novelty were enough to make one giddy. As Lianelle wondered at its safety, Rylas wondered how they were made, and more importantly, how hard one was to master.

Revelling in temptations for the second time since returning to the Golden Ram, the hail of the messenger caused him to snap his head to the source. He had not been expecting contact again so soon.

He accepted the note with a curt nod, and turned his back to the others as he read it. It was appropriately pithy and obscure for one of Tedrin's missives, and Rylas began to get concerned with the way some of these recent events had begun coinciding. However, he did manage to find some comfort in taking Tedrin's wording to mean that he considered Rylas to be better than a slave, at least.

"Our friend has good connections." Something about Yabal's statement stayed with Rylas. Perhaps it reinforced his earlier thinking that he was getting more and more intertwined with these people and places. And as Yabal suggested that he be Lianelle's new bodyguard in the interim, he decided that was exactly it.

Things were too interesting to slip away, now. "I know next to nothing of this place, so I am afraid my only value would be in swinging my bec de corbin," he admitted in a low tone. And keeping tabs on these...developments. "If the lady wishes..."
Last edited by Guest on Sun May 15, 2005 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

OOC: Rylas, I am so sorry for this post taking as long as it has. I've been mulling over a plot for you, and I think I've come up with something. Let the torture begin. :wink: Wait, did I say torture, I meant fun...

IC:

"I don't know much about Abu`Sahir, either, but I do know my way to the gnome's shop, so I can get us there. So, please do come along. I could use the help." Lianelle said and turned her big dark eyes between Yabal and Rylas. "It shouldn't take too long, the gnome's place is right near by, and I'm sure he would have something to help us get Rakhash free." Even speaking of Rak being trapped in a cell made Lianelle uncomfortable. She had been in the cold damp cell and she hated the thought of him alone there, waiting for his death sentence to fall. The princess couldn't let that happen. He had put his life on the line for her time and time again since she met him, and she wasn't about to let him be killed because of it.

"Alright." Yabal said. "That sounds good. You both should hurry. The sooner we get him out the better." The bald headed barkeep turned to Rylas. "I hope your axe head is good and sharp. The lady has some particularly strong foes, and they mean business, the least of which to be concerned of being the Rafao." He let that thought sink in for a flicker. "Just consider that, and keep your eyes open." Yabal thought about the gnome and hoped that Lianelle was right about the short fellow. He didn't know him, only of him and his exploits and the fact that his shop had been rebuilt several times over the yahren thanks to him catching it on fire or exploding things within it. He wondered what the princess might return with... an egg-beater gone wrong. It almost made him laugh, but the seriousness of the situation caused him to keep his stern exterior.

"Of course, Yabal." The princess replied and turned around to grab a cloak off of a hook on the wall. It was tan in color and as soon as it was in her grasp she was wrapping the fabric around her slender shoulders to cover her to her feet. She pulled the hood from her shoulders up to the crown of her head and then looked bravely to the door. It was now or never, and she was going to do whatever it took. Time to prove herself to be more than just a princess. "Let's go."

Outside the safety of the tavern the roads were bustling with midday business. Be they native or foreigner they were out shopping. The tradetide bell had already rung signalling the height of the sun and the day's activity. Lianelle figured they could use that to their advantage, as it would mean they were hidden in plain sight. "Try to blend in." She said as they walked. She kept to his side but still at an appropriate distance from him as to not attract attention. After a few burns of walking and a turn off of the main road of Foreigner's Court, the girl lifted a thin arm and pointed. "There it is."

It was a small place, with an even smaller door. Obviously the gnome wasn't much worried about his customers' comfort. Lianelle knocked on the door twice before opening it and stepping in. She didn't have to duck she was short enough, but Rylas would have to. "Hagmar?" The girl called out into the room. The walls were covered in the sooty softness from an explosion the day prior. If he had a fear of not having enough light it wasn't because he needed the sun, because the few candles lit were the only source of luminocity. All around the small and crowded shop were tables ladened with metal shaped into tubes connecting to glass vials gently hanging above severe flames that caused the liquids inside to bubble and boil, some even frothing out of their containers. The epicenter of the erruption was obvious. Black power was thick on the walls near the blackened instruments. It was there that Hagmar was working. He turned around, his face covered in soot as were the goggles he wore which he pulled onto the top of his head to expose bright green eyes alive with invention in them.

"Lianelle my dear how are you I hope everything is going well This isn't the young man you were here with before what is his name What happened to your other friend I hope everything is alright and--" He coughed thanks to disturbing some of the soot and powder that was around him and it halted his extended speech. Lianelle bit her lip to keep from laughing. He was just too amusing of a character for her to handle.

"Yes. Everything is fine Hagmar. I'm looking for something though. I need to get into somewhere, but it's locked and we don't have the key, so I was hoping you might have an invention to help us out."

"Get into somewhere you don't belong eh Well that is a dangerous business what sort of place are you trying to get into and what is your name young man I am Hagmar Jakyarara Ichlinabinladunn--"

"Hagmar for short, right?" Lianelle interrupted him and he nodded. "And, uhm.. the place we are trying to get into." She looked at Rylas. The princess wasn't exactly a good liar and she hadn't realized the inquisitive gnome would question her.

Post by Guest »

"I don't know much about Abu`Sahir, either..." Rylas's eyebrow quirked at this. This fine specimen of desert life didn't know about the city? He couldn't think of many - if any - other places in the world that could produce such a person. Not that he was so well traveled, but the natives, and Lianelle especially, had a very distinctive look. Then again, perhaps that was just his covetousness talking.

The question remained, just who was she? And Yabal's mention of her enemies mostly served to inflame Rylas's curiosity. Enemies in the most technical sense of the word were something that only people of some kind of importance had. The average slave or dancing girl would have few objectives that would be actively opposed by someone else.

As Rylas was essentially unaware of any civilization outside of Abu`Sahir on Amun Rah, these suppositions led him to one initial conclusion. A native who wasn't familiar with the city pointed to someone who led a detached sort of life. Furthermore, someone with "strong foes" would likely have either been born or raised to a measure of influence. The daughter of some wealthy merchant or official, or some sort of...

...royalty. Rylas's eyes grew wider at the thought, and the girl became instantly more interesting beyond her stunning gifts of nature. In a way it began to make sense, and he had to stop himself from nodding unconsciously. As far as he could tell, she bore neither the callouses on her skin that someone of the local working class would probably have, nor the emotional callouses of someone who made a living appealing to the desires of others.

"Let's go," she said, but Rylas trotted first up to his room, retreiving from his things his bec de corbin. With its axe blade, thrusting tip, and hammerhead, it suited someone like Rylas who enjoyed having options. At times he missed the hook or the reach of the lochaber he carried previously, but this weapon proved to be a "more elegant solution," as he saw it. He had yet to really make use of it since making landfall at Amun Rah, and as he slid it in his belt opposite his stilleto, he instantly felt a little less anxious.

Somehow, even this place is just how I though it would be. Annoying, he thought as he ducked into the doorway of the gnome's workshop. As Hagmar's words spewed forth, Rylas quickly felt the same way about the shopkeeper. Looking around at the various contraptions as though one of them might burst goo onto him at any moment, Rylas stated matter-of-factly, "She and I mean to break into the Rafao's palace."

He let a moment go by before displaying a "gotcha" grin at the little man, though it likely appeared more sinister than Rylas had intended. "Sorry, I suppose I should not joke that way. Probably just makes people nervous," he said with a long glance at Lianelle. Shaking his head at his "jest," he continued. "In truth, my...late uncle, in his paranoia, neglected to tell us where the keys to his storeroom were before he keeled over. If the old man had any estate worth settling, there is a good chance he locked it away in his dungeon of a cellar."

He watched and waiting for a reaction. It wasn't a great story, but as long as it satisfied the gnome enough to cough up whatever gadget the girl was after, Rylas could've cared less how much he believed it.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Lianelle looked over to Rylas as he stated they were breaking into the palace. Luckily for the both of them she was both cool and collected by nature and training so she didn't show any outward signs that he was telling the truth. When he grinned the girl gave him a playful slap on the arm. "You really shouldn't joke like that, you're right." She rolled her eyes but laughed a bit.

The shopkeeper on the other hand gave Rylas a scrutinizing glance. "I'll see what I can find for you and your problem You say it's a cellar with a metal door then and you can't break into the lock well that's a bit of a problem I might've suggested that you go find a locksmith but I would suppose they cost a good amount of money."

The girl nodded absently as she looked at the gnome, much of his prattling rushed by her in a torrent. Lianelle couldn't help recalling how Rakhash had spoken of the short fellow. Maybe if he would let us get a word in edge wise we could make this go quicker... She missed him so much, and they had only been separated for a very short amount of time. It didn't matter, she would get him free. "Anything you've got would help." She said and produced a bright winning smile which the gnome seemed to look at with a great deal of appreciation.

"Alright let's see here..." He continued speaking, but it was more to himself, and more about the placement of things in his cluttered workshop and business than to either of the young people who were there. "AHA-HA!" He turned around with a small bottle of greenish liquid with a glass stopper in the top. "This was an interesting invention I discovered when trying to find a superior coating for blades to keep their resistance against scratches and also to keep their sharpening for longer amounts of time It didn't really turn out the way I wanted it too... infact it sort of does the opposite of what I intended." He grinned.

"Don't put it on anything aside from the metal you want to get through My suggestion: drip some onto the latch and see if it will free it What it should do is melt it like a pillar of salt." He nodded and handed the bottle over to Rylas. "Don't drop it." He then looked between the two of them as if searching for some kind of payment.

"How much?" The girl finally asked.

"Two crown."

She looked at Rylas in astonishment. It was a high price for such a small bottle. Then again, she had paid more for less perfume before. "Of course." She reached into the cloak and procured a purse that seemed very laden with coins. Reaching within it she pulled out two crowns. "It better work, or I'm coming back."

"None of my customers have ever complained!" He said indignantly. "Now get on out of here I can't go wasting all my time talking with you two." Then he turned around and immediately pulled his goggles back down over his bright green eyes and started working on whatever it was he had been working on prior to their arrival and disturbance.

"Be careful with that bottle..." Lianelle said hesitantly and somewhat cautiously at the almost glowing green substance. "Who knows what it's made of if it melts through metal." She stepped out into the sunlight outside the shop.

Post by Guest »

Once Rylas had heard enough to decide the gnome was going to provide them with what they wanted, the rest of the inventor's babble was lost on him. Right up until the mention of money.

As the gnome watched them expectantly, Rylas looked to Lianelle in turn, beginning to wonder if she expected him to foot the bill for her rescue mission. As the gnome announced the price, his eyes grew wide beneath his hood, and he knew, she shall not expect me to relinquish that much, or else she will likely be disappointed.

A protest was forming in his throat, but the girl handed over the coins, and rather easily, in his opinion. He might've tried to haggle, or perhaps even flat out refuse, had it been him. But then, he hadn't access to the kind of funds that royalty might...

In his mind, he ammended Lianelle's comment as they exited the workshop. It had better work, or you might not be coming back. Outside, he held the bottle up to the abundant light, pondering its nature and ingredients. Such substances would be very useful, if it indeed worked, and Rylas wondered if Tedrin was aware of this resourceful gnome.

Rylas narrowed his eyes at Lianelle's admonition, further believing by the moment that she came from some place of authority, or at least felt that she did. As they proceeded, he gingerly held out the bottle, saying, "Perhaps the lady would like to look after it?"
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

OOC: I AM BACK!

IC:

"Me?" Her dark eyes widened a bit as he held the bottle up. He didn't seem to be holding onto it very tightly. "I-" She swallowed. "Just didn't want you to drip it on yourself, actually." It was entirely honest, she was worried about making sure that the liquid was kept safe, but she also didn't want to have to see first hand what it might do to flesh were it allowed to ooze free from it's container.

Regaining a cool composure she stepped forward and held out her hand. "But if you are too afraid to carry it yourself, then by all means, I will take charge of it." Her lithe fingers hung in the air, the tips pointing heavenward, her palm open and upward. Inwardly she hoped he wouldn't take her up on the offer, and it was a bit noticeable to the trained observer that this was the case. The somewhat glowing material scared her a bit.

She was not going to verbally let onto that, however, as her brown orbs met his with as much surety as she could manage. "Either way, we really should head back to Anurith's. I want to talk to Yabal and see if we can manage to get Rak out."

Post by Guest »

(OOC: Hehe, me too.)

Rylas regarded the girl coolly. The pride and carriage, it was delectable. He was about to leave it at that, until she made the comment about being afraid.

He dangled the container nonchalantly from his fingertips, and the thought occured to him to toss it to her. Deciding that was too reckless, in spite of the situation, he simply deposited it into her waiting hand. "Good," he said as cheerfully as he could manage. "After all, you paid for it, so you should have it for safekeeping." He enjoyed her reaction a moment before striding ahead.

What he told her was true enough, however. Given the relative trouble of acquiring the stuff, Rylas did not want to be the one responsible if anything happened to it, more out of covering for himself than anything. He could care less about the freedom of the faceless name, Rakhash, than about simply exploring possibilities.

Rylas was quite ready to see Yabal, also. He wasn't about to wash his hands of the situation, but at this point he wanted to rescue the lummox if only to stop hearing the name. Rak, hm? he thought, pondering her shortening. A sign of familiarity. Rylas smirked to himself as he realized he was growing to quite loathe him without even having met him.
Last edited by Guest on Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Lianelle looked down at the queer green bottle that now rested in her hand, and felt as the cool liquid sloshed around. "Thanks," she said sarcastically as they walked and he gave his reason for wanting her carry it. She didn't believe it, she figured he was just as scared of the strange substance as the girl was.

It didn't take long to get back to the many-windowed Anurith's Golden Ram with it's thatched roof. The girl was glad to be back home, she hated walking about in the streets of Abu`Sahir, though, atleast this time she hadn't had a horrible experience, no matter how Rylas tried. A small sigh of relief fell from her lips as she stepped through the door.

Yabal was at the bar, per usual, drinking, and looked up as they entered. He put down his small crystal glass and looked at the strange thing that the young woman was holding. "That is what you got from him?" His brow raised up slightly. "A bottle?" He didn't seem impressed, but before Lianelle got the chance to explain herself, Yabal continued, this time to Rylas.

"There is someone in your room. They've got a light step about them, but they don't want to be found. They didn't come in through the door, but probably the window. I'm not sure if it's an associate of yours, so I didn't disturb, but you deserve a heads up atleast. I don't need to send a mate up to an assassin un-prepared."

Lianelle looked between the two men, it seemed a strange way to exchange information, then again, she knew very little of men, nevermind the ones of the underground crime syndicate.

"I'm not sure if it's important, but it's been quiet up there for a few burns, so either they are hiding, or they are just standing very still..." Yabal shrugged.

Post by Guest »

As they moved toward the Golden Ram, Rylas stole a glance or two at Lianelle. She did seem to be a rare specimen, but as his logic had regained some ground since seeing her for the first time, he resented that he even acknowledged just that fact.

He found the unfolding scenario to be uncomfortably similar to another recent charade. There were a few marked differences - in spite of her front, Lianelle was clearly more dainty than Talnyah had ever been - but it was enough to turn Rylas's mind back to the dark adhiel girl for a moment.

As the two passed through the entrance to the tavern, he found himself wondering where she had headed for after they parted, or if she even still lived. Either way, I am better off, he thought to himself, clenching his jaw. But how deep will I get here before I...

"There is someone in your room," Yabal said, interrupting Rylas's thoughts. And were he not mainly concerned now with the identity and intent of the intruder, he would've appreciated the straightforward way Yabal told him. But for now, he began considering possibilities.

A messenger from Tedrin would not sneak in. There would be no reason to; Tedrin and Yabal know one another, perhaps even on friendly terms. But Rylas couldn't even think of anyone else who knew him at all, much less would be after him. He owed nothing to noone. The wager at the coliseum had been paid up front.

Rylas gave Yabal a curt nod, and walked to the stairs to the rooms and began climbing them with heavier than normal footfalls. Whoever it was, he wanted them to hear him coming.

Reaching the top, he began approaching his door with deliberate steps. Eyes cold, nostrils flaring, this was one of the sort of moments that Rylas pondered as he waited to fall asleep, or sat in his seat in the Golden Ram commons. He almost enjoyed the way his heart beat faster and his body livened with a kind of electricity. It peeved him that whenever the feeling came, he was always too caught up in the danger at hand to enjoy it.

Rylas pulled off his cloak as he reached his door, and hung it on the end of his bec de corbin. It was a very poor illusion, but all he was hoping for was a moment's worth of warning, or a reversed surprise attack. Turning the knob of the door then readying his stilleto in his right, he began to inch the door open with his other cloaked weapon.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Yabal nodded as Rylas started for the stairs. "Be wariful, one who can move so lightly can probably move just as quickly." One of his brows raised and then he looked to Lianelle. "Come, let's plan for our rescue mission. We'll have my busboy out of there before he has the chance to miss a shift." The barkeep grinned and the young woman stepped over to the counter and set the odd green bottle down gently.

Upstairs it was indeed quiet, but not so silent as to make one worry. He could hear nothing beyond the wall into his small room. Opening the door he was met with the exact same place he left earlier that day. Nothing seemed out of place, but were he to pay careful attention he might notice a slight change in the scent of the room. There was a smokiness that hadn't been there before, drifting around just barely perceptible.

"Ok, here's the thing..." A familiar voice filled the room. She was behind him. The short dusky skinned adhiel had been behind the door when he opened it. "Don't be mad at me." Talnyah lifted her hands in a defenseless position to say that she had no weapons. However, she had proven that she didn't really need a blade to defend herself. "I went down to the docks and it's swarming with Tedrin's guys." Slowly she lowered her hands. "And I can't really go anywhere. He has men positioned at all my hangouts." She licked her full lips. "Well, everywhere but here." Her dark blue eyes swam and looked up to his. "I just need somewhere to lay low. I figure Tedrin's nest is as good as any. He won't expect me here."

She swallowed, and it was clear that she was indeed desperate. "Rylas, I don't have anywhere else to go. Please?"

Post by Guest »

Rylas edged the cloak through the door and paused. His calves twitched as he lowered his weight, drawing back his stiletto. When nothing happened, he pulled down the cloak and tossed it over his shoulder. Either the room was empty, or the occupant didn't intend to attack him, or his trick was poorer than he thought.

Sheathing his stilleto so he could grip his bec de corbin with both hands, he slipped through the doorway. His eyes fell to the few places in his room where he stored his belongings. Being his only possessons in the world, the idea of anything missing was highly annoying.

He was about to start poking around the room for the source of the odd aroma he had begun to pick up on when he heard her voice. Were it a different voice, it might've occured to him to feel foolish for not immediately checking behind the door. Another voice would've sent him spinning to face an assailant, weapon swinging.

But this voice caused his arms to flop to his sides. As he slowly turned and his vision confirmed the source, he clenched his eyes and jaw shut. His lids opened to slits after a flicker, and he pointed at the adhiel with his weapon. "What...but you...this was...not..." An impressive variety of questions and comments occured to him, though the only whole one which finally tumbled out was "why?"

Rylas dejectedly slung his cloak at his bed. Is nothing ever finished? he thought, raking his fingers through his hair. He turned his head again to eye Talnyah, suddenly quite peeved about thinking of her moments before as he returned to the inn, as though that somehow had a hand in causing her to appear in his room.

He planted his fist on his hip. "Swimming with Tedrin's men," he restated. Am I not one of Tedrin's men? Exhaling sharply through his nose, he said, "You want to stay here, in this room? And what reason would I have not to march to his front door and alert him, hm? After what I saw, it would be no good for him to realize I was hiding you." Anticipating a possible reaction of hers, he angrily added, "And do not threaten to kill me, either. If Tedrin sent a man looking once I did not reappear, you would be worse off than you are now."
Last edited by Guest on Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"You know, you're almost handsome when you are angry." Talnyah smirked at his fisted hands at his hips in such a defiant and irritated stance.

"I realize you don't like me, Rylas... but you're the last person I've got that I can trust." Her dark blue eyes met his gray ones. "And I know what you are inferring with that, you are one of Tedrin's men, but not like the others. Sure, you'd stand by and watch me die," There was still some bitterness in her tone over that, she was still mad that he hadn't had her back. "But I don't think you would kill me yourself.. no.. I know you wouldn't. You aren't a killer Rylas."

"I have no room for threats, now." Talnyah looked over to the bed and moved toward it to sit down. She adjusted his cloak so that she didn't wrinkle it. "I just need somewhere safe, and if you go to Tedrin you will have killed me, even if not by blade."

Smiling, honestly this time, if the dark adhiel were able to do anything honestly, the young woman spoke. "You pulled your hair out of your pony tail. It's all fluffed out.. sort of hard to take you seriously or find you intimidating." She bit down on her bottom lip very hard and tried to supress the forming grin, but it sparkled in her midnight eyes. "You have a comb around here?" The achadhiel glanced over to his pack, but didn't move for it, she wasn't sure how protective of his things he was, but she had a feeling the answer was: very.

Post by Guest »

"Do not patronize me," Rylas succinctly growled. His spite inflamed at how quickly she seemed to pass from beleaguered to bemused. "Dislike? You have been a noose around my neck since I bungled into this place." He stared hard at her face before turning away with a huff and slowly pacing the length of the room.

"Stay out of my things," he responded without looking, gripping some of said hair in his fist as though urging himself to think. If Tedrin were to find out, both Talnyah and himself would be running again. Rylas had tried that once already, and he much preferred having a cozy room on the underlord's bankroll. A room that was overseen by Yabal, friend to Tedrin. He would want to know what had transpired, and... Tell her to leave.

That dilemma held court with droves of lesser ones. Where would she sleep? Rylas would be hard pressed to relinquish his bed. And what about food? How would she be responsible for what she mooched of the room and board? Did she have any money left? Would she simply take everything of his, or stab him in the night, or both? This seemed very much to be a one-sided, win-lose situation. Order her out.

His eyes flicked to one side and the other, looking at the dark-achadhiel from their corners. He couldn't decide how to take her comment about him not being a killer. Most people would be glad to hear it, but in many scenarios Rylas had imagined, it was synonymous with ineptitude; a lack of resolve. But at any rate, her appraisal wasn't quite right. Though it hadn't been murder, Rylas had slain before, and he automatically figured that he would again. Why should Talnyah be different?

Why should she? His jaw worked as his mind turned again to the attack he witnessed. The helpless expression as she was overwhelmed. That same sort of vulnerability that she had shown before, and just seconds ago. Hm. It is the spider's web. He also remembered how those moments of vulnerability came immediately before or after an attack, and the edgy rivalry of brinkmanship the two seemed doomed to repeat. Fool! Throw her into the street!

"Bah!" He came to a stop in the middle of the floor. After a few flickers of staring through her, he quietly said, "I make no promises. For the moment, I simply refrain from throwing you out." Yabal would have to be told something, even if it were simply that there wasn't yet a problem and to keep quiet. His suspicion is the next to last thing I need right now, Rylas thought, eyeing Talnyah.

"Don't cause trouble, for either of us. You are here to hide, so hide." His posture drooped once again as the struggle in his head reached a stalemate. "And again, stay out of my things. I will be back." With that, he made for the stairway - being sure to close his door behind him - to "report" to Yabal. Though, even as he descended the stairs, he was still trying to decide on the best approach.
Last edited by Guest on Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:03 am, edited 4 times in total.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Talnyah watched him as he paced back and forth across the room. She really couldn't read him, and she wasn't sure what about that drove her crazy. The achadhiel prided herself on her skills with the emotional state of the people she was around, however, Rylas was a creature of mystery and much of his inner workings eluded her. She, however, would never let on to that fact.

It was because of this that she watched him with particular interest as he internally tossed through the past few days since he had know the street mouse daughter and enemy of the most well known mob-king in Abu`Sahir. A king second only to the Rafao, who was second only to a god. A man who was third in command over all the people of the city and direct boss to him.

At his sudden stopping and outburst Talnyah froze, but already a smile was forming. It was a noise associated with going against every instinct in a person's mind, in their head, in the places where sense is formed, but he was going against it violently, and his next words solidified it. He wasn't going to throw her out.

A wide grin broke across her pretty face, and really, though she didn't full out smile often, it was an improvement over her usual scowl or smirk. "Thank you!" She bounced over to him and gave him a hug before stiffening and pulling back. "So. I'll just sit here and wait then." The dark adhiel brushed her hands down the front of her shirt as if straightening it, but it was already fine. "I'll stay out of your stuff, no problem." She walked over to the bed and sat down again.

Just as Rylas stepped out of his door, Lianelle was preparing to step into her own, the next room over. "Thanks, for everything. I know you didn't want to help, but, I do appreciate it." The girl offered a smile and then walked into her room and closed the door behind her.

Downstairs Yabal was putting some things away on shelves and just tidying up after a night as usual. "Still up there, then?" He looked over to Rylas and a small grin tugged at the right corner of his mouth. "And it's a woman." He put a heavy pottery bowl on a shelf. "You want a drink?"

Post by Guest »

Rylas didn't react to Talnyah's embrace, partly out of spite, and partly out of being too surprised. In the same rationale that insisted on throwing her out, it occured to him to shove her away, but she had already returned to the foot of the bed by then. He gaped for a flicker, then left the room, halting again before Lianelle.

As she disappeared into her own room, he was relieved that she seemed to be finished with him. He had a whole new set of problems to deal with now. His lips drew together in a thin line as he mused on the fact that vulnerability had been what piqued his interest to her, as well: a need to be filled. Exploited, he reminded - or reprimanded - himself.

He knew he should be alarmed at Yabal's deduction, but the man had a manner which put one at ease. Easy going as he seemed, Rylas doubted he was the sort to involve himself in such a way as Rylas feared. After all, Tedrin was likely unaware of Rakhash and, more importantly, Lianelle.

But Lianelle is not Tedrin's daughter...and Rakhash is not his...pupil? Grunt?

Rylas rigidly lowered himself onto a seat next to the bar. "Please," he said, responding to Yabal's offer. He hadn't historically been one to dull his senses by drinking to get drunk, but he began to think there was such a thing as being too on-edge to think clearly, too. Satisfied with that excuse, he threw back whatever Yabal brought as quickly as he could manage.

Talnyah's presence brought rushing back all the questions that Rylas had managed to put on hold for a day or two. Was Tedrin the person he remembered? Did it matter? Was Rylas truly betraying him by not cleaving at his daughter on sight? Or was he already a betrayer for letting her flee, even advising her to?

He needed more time, and more information. And first thing's first. "Yabal," he stated. "It would be easier for us all if you were not to share today's astute observations." He stared hard at the barkeep from under his brow. "With anyone."
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"And by 'anyone', you mean of course, Tedrin." He said as he watched the strong liquor get knocked back by the passionate youth. Yabal poured him another shot of the golden liquid and the first small glassful burned down the back of his throat and then his stomach, and then his lungs as well as he took a breath. His eyes watered just a bit and the barkeep grinned. "Perhaps take this one a bit slower." Rylas' mouth filled with saliva.

"I know Tedrin is not a big fan of distractions, and women are a distraction of the worst kind. They make matters muddy and complicated." He capped the hard liquor and put it back under the bar before picking up a glass which he wiped before setting on a shelf behind him. "However, it sounds as if you have more than just any woman up there, stealthy enough to sneak into the second story of a building, through the window no less. She must've scaled right up the wall." He seemed a bit impressed, perhaps by her, or perhaps by Rylas having found her.

"If our friend asks about you, I'll leave it out, but if he asks me directly, I will not lie to him. I owe Tedrin plenty, and he me, and it's difficult to say whom exactly is indebted to whom. At this point, we just do eachother favours and expect the same in return." He put another glass on the shelf and then turned back around. "Now, what else can I do for you, son?" He asked.

Post by Guest »

As it must be with most who drank for its own sake, Rylas was glad for the potency of whatever Yabal was pouring him, but the bitter burning left him unenthusiastic. He smacked his lips as he looked down at the next shot, undecided as to whether he would force it down at all.

He couldn't help but smirk at the barkeep's assessment of the situation. "You are quite correct in all that you say, Yabal, even if it is gross understatement in this case." Talnyah made matters about as complicated as they could get. The irony, too, was not lost on Rylas. Tedrin had become "distracted" by a woman who later bore Talnyah. And Talnyah now made life difficult for both he and Rylas.

To a lesser extent, Tedrin's opinion as recounted by Yabal was also ironic in that there didn't seem to be any shortage of girls in his lair. Rylas didn't say as much, however, imagining all it would get him would be some vulgar, simplistic quip.

Taking two deep breaths, he tossed the second serving of the alcohol back, waving his hand as he clomped the glass upside down to indicate he would have no more. Two of the swill was probably bad enough.

"I understand," he replied, rasping a little from the beverage's burn. "Know that I also currently have only the best intentions when it comes to Tedrin's service. It is very possible that he and I go farther back than you and he." Rylas wished he had better chosen his words. Though many people would find a kind of offense in such a remark, he meant to reassure, not incite defensiveness. Luckily, he thought, Yabal didn't seem like the sort who would read so far into it.

"I seem merely to find myself trapped between my own will - or perhaps, lack thereof - and what I expect Tedrin's...reaction would be. Hopefully, I shall never know for sure." Rylas moved off from the bar, giving Yabal a deep but unaffected nod, finding their familiar manner suddenly and slightly uncomfortable. "There's nothing else I would ask. May it stay that way as long as possible."

Barring any further conversation on Yabal's part, Rylas grudgingly made to return to his quarters, somewhat satisfied that his undoing wouldn't be due to the barkeep.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"I've only known him since he came to the isle, and it's pretty obvious you aren't from around here, so I don't doubt someone with the longevity of an adhiel would've seen an entire other life elsewhere." Yabal replied with no stinging defensiveness or possession over the dark adhiel mobster. He gave a nod that could've meant anything as Rylas stood from the bar. The barkeep reached over and grasped the short shot glass and placed it beneath the counter and then turned back to the cleaning of the bartop as he had been doing. His white cloth nearly glowed in the dim light.

Upstairs, in his room, Talnyah was standing with her back to the door, silouhetted in the moonlight cast from the window. Her right hand was up, the palm pressed against the glass, and a cloud of condensation had blossomed around it blurring out the outside world, as well as her blackened reflection. She was staring out into nothingness. Her other hand lay limp at her side, her legs slightly parted as if ready to defend herself if necessary, though still relaxed. All in all, aside from when she had been sleeping, it was the most defenseless position he had ever seen her in. And, of course, when she had been tied up.

"That was quick." Her voice was husky and low, as if she had been using it too much for yelling. The achadhiel pulled her hand away from the window and left a perfect handprint behind. She wasn't really sure what else to say as she turned around. The girl was still a bit embarassed over hugging him, though she would just as easily pretend as if it hadn't happened than talk about it. Pressing her body against the sill she sat down.

"So now what? Are you going to sleep?" She asked him as she rested her hands in her lap. Her knees were together, but her feet planted apart, toes pointed inwards, creating this image of a lonesome teenager, which she almost could pass for in the right light, with the right clothes on. Something other than a lose black chemise and leather breeches, probably. Her tall boots didn't help creat an innocent appearance either.

Post by Guest »

As he ascended the stairs, some part of Rylas's brain randomly burped up the fact that it was unusually dark. Normally the position of the sun and how long until it went away again was a pet concern of his as he wandered Abu`Sahir. But, his mind was so occupied today that it had begun turning to tonight without his realizing. Perhaps he was becoming more used to the conditions. Wonderful, he thought sarcastically.

He was also becoming used to Yabal, which he found similarly perturbing. Each day, Rylas had to trust the man more and more, though he was still a mystery. His motivations and agenda were unknown. Outwardly, he seemed to Rylas content to play bit roles, involved mainly in affairs which fell in his lap. And what favors does a bartender do for an underworld overlord, anyway?

These inquiries were noted and tucked away for later, along with his momentary relief at the barkeep's cooperation; they were replaced by a weird sort of dread as he returned to his quarters. He stepped into the room with a preset scowl, fully prepared to defend his right to property or something similar. The almost wistful scene gave him pause.

His icy gaze took in her svelte form, and he felt a strange combination of almost equal parts admiration and enmity. In spite of living as a refugee and even grievous injury, she continued to radiate virility. Rylas's eyes softened as he thought to himself that, with the right reason and effort, Talnyah could be...stunning. Then his eyebrow twitched. Act now, in this moment of weakness! His shoulder smarted as if in agreement. He breathily exhaled and stunted the impulse again, for reasons he would be hard pressed to rationalize.

Rylas wasn't without vigor of his own. He felt that just a few days of regular meals had begun to work wonders toward restoring his robustness. But the moonlight which outlined some of the finer points of Talnyah's physique must have done the opposite for him, highlighting the tension which pulled at his facial features. And with no outlet for his verve, he doubted even the alcohol he had impulsively drank would do much to loosen the various knots in his muscles.

His own voice was gravelly as he repeated, "Sleep?" He gave her an incredulous look, her attire helping to dispel what he told himself was an illusion of vulnerability. "Could you sleep knowing a viper was nearby?" He could've kept going, but he figured his point was made. He closed and locked the door behind him and moved to do the same for the windows, reaching past Talnyah like a piece of furniture.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Talnyah sighed and her eyes rolled slightly. "I'm not a viper." As he approached and reached for the window, ready to close it, she didn't realize his intent, and so stood quickly, placing herself in a defensive position, before she noticed what he was doing. "Sorry, after the viper comment..." She shrugged and moved out of his way. The achadhiel wasn't prepared to being treated as if she wasn't there, she'd rather move and get out of his way than be reached around.

Crossing her arms under her breasts she leaned against the wall opposite his bed. "I'm not going to attack you in your sleep, you already know that much for sure, we've slept in the same room before, and you survived the night." Her brows raised a bit, in honest emphasis. "You're letting me stay here, I have no intention of jeopardizing that. I really have no where else to go."

Sliding down the wall, with her back pressed against it, the young woman brought herself to a sitting position and looked up at him. "So, how was your day?" Her arms stayed basically where they were, though a bit lower, now resting on her tight stomach.

Return to “Amun Rah Archive”