The Bad Omen -- Tavern (Samheen 21st, TT)

Moderator: Mods

Ashari
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

The Bad Omen -- Tavern (Samheen 21st, TT)

Post by Ashari »

Early Tradetide

It was off of the main road of Foreigner's Court that the Bad Omen Tavern was located. Behind several larger buildings, and shrouded in cool shadows, the place looked more like a ramshackle house of ill repute than a tavern. Though, above the door a sign hung on rusted hinges declaring it the Bad Omen. The name was fitting.

Situated in a poorer section of the city, where priests seldom came and the really poor were left to rot, this tavern catered to those who wanted to drink away their sorrows or conduct illicit business in semi-public eye. With a staff of bouncers and a bartender who'd once been an executioner in some faraway land, the Bad Omen saw people drink their money away, then steal to drink some more, and was the local center for meetings of the underground.
Last edited by Ashari on Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:38 am, edited 5 times in total.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]

Post by Guest »

21st of Samheen, Trade Tide

Ari rode up on Sands to the stables, feeling eerie. She felt safe and uneasy at the same time: this was her home, but it was in the shady section of town. Sands snorted and Ari shook herself from her musings and dismounted.

Grabbing his halter, Ari led her horse into the stable nearby, keeping the queer feeling of being watched at bay. The stable had a musty smell to it, with a faint tinge of alcohol, but Ari still breathed in deeply the horsey scent, and felt content, and out of danger. As soon as she had gotten her stallion into his stall, she hooked him up in the cross ties and untacked him.

Ari spent a while grooming and washing Sands before getting a chance to feed him, but Sands was worth it. And, she even got her own shower. Still, she had to be careful around here, a majority of the people around here were unsavory, and it wouldn't be pleasant to walk in there with her clothes clinging. So with precision, she washed around her clothes, adorned a cloak, said goodbye to Sands, picked up her backpack, and made her way towards the inn, and her room.
Last edited by Guest on Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by Guest »

Ari rode up on Sands to the stables, feeling eerie. She felt safe and uneasy at the same time: this was her home, but it was in the shady section of town. Sands snorted and Ari shook herself from her musings and dismounted.

The stable, tucked beside the tavern, was nearly silent except for the whickering of the several other horses who poked their noses out of their stalls in greeting, nostrils flaring with the scent of the newcomers. None seemed particularly excitable, and drifted back to their grain within moments.

Next door, the hubbub of a busy afternoon could be heard in the Bad Omen, the open windows allowing an exchange of the warm breeze for the rise and fall of a multitude of voices. Ramek, the other bartender, was sounding off a few choice words at someone, followed a few burns later by the prompt noise of a body being forcibly flung from a side door of the Tavern. At full times such as this, it was not an uncommon occurrence - and one that Ari should be familiar with, whether or not she was 'used' to it.

Ari spent a while grooming and washing Sands before getting a chance to feed him, but Sands was worth it. And, she even got her own shower. Still, she had to be careful around here, a majority of the people around here were unsavory, and it wouldn't be pleasant to walk in there with her clothes clinging. So with precision, she washed around her clothes, adorned a cloak, said goodbye to Sands, picked up her backpack, and made her way towards the inn, and her room.

Ari's method of bathing prevented a few uncomfortable flickers, as one of the patrons came to retrieve their horse midway through. They eyed her suggestively, but left her otherwise alone - Bad Omen had a reputation for protecting their own, at least on their property, and Ramek's history as an executioner from World’s Mouth meant few would care to get on the wrong side of his determined fist. The buckets of water she left, dirtied by the wash, would have to be checked later - to see if the flaky stable boy had changed them.

The innards of the Bad Omen was dimly lit, damp, and reeking of strong spirits. High blocks of stone served as tables, with lower blocks and the occasional worn pillow passing for chairs. The house was nearly full tonight, and Ari would be assaulted by a multitude of various conversations. A few of the regulars, who met in the shadowy corners, seemed to be in their normal places, talking to the usual kinds of offbeat commoners - but the crowd seemed to have diverted the usual clandestine meetings elsewhere, and there seemed fewer slaves than usual. As Ari moved through the room, a few of the familiar rogues aimed half-hearted hands to swat at her as she passed, one or two of the women regulars rolling their eyes. Phrases rose from beneath the swell of voices, only to be swallowed by the next.

"...and the hanging’s tonight..."
"Did you hear about the Rafao...?"
"Where's Marlek?" ... "Foreigner's Cou...."
“The riot last .... how many injur....”
“Been ‘arder to nab the merch’s.. wha’ wi’ ... guards these last few...”

"Tyto!" Ramek's usual gruff bark burst in over the clashing cacophony as he ignored the customers in front of him, calling out before she had a chance to get to her room. Despite his perpetual scowl, he didn't seem in too much worse of a mood than normal as one of his hands (squat and thick to match his slight beer belly and hefty muscles) gestured in her direction.

Depending on where she was in the room, it might be easier to deposit her stuff there first - however Ramek didn't always take kindly to delay.

Post by Guest »

Ari walked into the tavern and was assulted by the smell of beer and chatter of many different conversations. She sighed, she had gotten well used to a life without beer and agitation by the sea. Nonetheless, she could do nothing about it. Ari snuck around the room, expertly dodging hands.

As she walked she heard splatters of sentences. "...and the hanging's tonight..." What hanging?

"Did you hear about the Rafao...?" What about the Rafao? She tried to hear more, but the voice was gone, replaced by another.

"Where's Marlek?" It siad, and the voice faded, and came back briefly with an answer. "Foreigner's Cou...!" That's where I just was...

"The riot last ... how many injur..." What riot?!!!

"Been 'arder to nab the merch's...wha' wi' ... guards these last few..." But Ari didn't have much time to ponder these thoughts, because she heard Ramek's gruff tone cut across towards her, "Tyto!" Ari inwardly winced, but looked over at him anyways. Good, he's not in too bad of a mood...

Ari looked around, the door was just a few flicker's dash away. So, instead of heeding Ramek's calls, she lunged out of the room, and bolted up the steps to her room. She made it there fairly quickly, deposited her stuff, and pulled an apron on and dashed back downstairs. Thankfully, she was only a few burns late.

"Sorry Ramek." She gasped. "Hey, what's going on? What're they all talking about?" She waited, hoping for an answer to this mystery. "What's going on with the Rafao?" Ari pushed her wet hair from her face and braced herself inwardly for an answer.

Post by Guest »

"Sorry Ramek." She gasped. "Hey, what's going on? What're they all talking about?" She waited, hoping for an answer to this mystery. "What's going on with the Rafao?" Ari pushed her wet hair from her face and braced herself inwardly for an answer.

"Less gab, more movin'." Ramek's meaty hands shoved a pitcher of ale into her hands, with only a vague "harrumph" at her apology. "I'm not a bloody herald." Between the smoke congealing with the spilled drinks on the bar-top, his normally gruff attitude had soured. Being a former executioner didn't mean he appreciated the grime of the underworld. "You sure chose a daft time for your lollyin' about the desert." He turned his attention to a rag he sloshed onto the bar, much to the disgruntlement of several customers, as a wave of sudsy water cascaded across the wooden surface. From the smell of one or two, the soapy water was a much needed commodity.

The space around the bar opened up, though the call for Ari's services would keep her extremely busy for a few burns, as she was called on to serve. She continued to hear snippets of conversations similar to when she had entered, but very few of the customers lingered long enough at the bar for her to ask anything. Throughout the ebb and flow of customers, a gentlemen near the bar's end was broodingly nursing a mug of something that seemed bitter - as he kept grimacing after every drink or so. Occassionally, another customer would sidle up next to him, the two would converse for a brief burn or two, and then he'd be alone again, the seat next to him never remaining full for long. A middle-aged man, he had the burnished brown skin of a local, and an easy manner that marked him as someone not lightly trifled with. He began tapping his mug with one finger, and peering down into it as if wondering how much more of it there was available.

At that moment, a drunk stumbled against the bar, raising his mug and bleary eyes in Ari's direction. "G'me a fill, luv..." followed by an exaggerated wink at her, and a chuckle, filled with inebriated breath that wafted into her face. He suddenly raised his tankard (straightening swiftly enough that he nearly unbalanced) and stood weaving as his voice slurred forth in announcement. "Drinksh all aroun'..." It was doubtful that the man could make good this cheery command, judging by his garments. The area quietened a bit, customers pausing in speech and action to watch - always ready to entertain themselves with the constant flow of fools that often found any taverns.

"Here'sh to the Rafoo...." a disdaining smile, but still cheerful, pasted on his face. "May Uphuruon and Assanis.. Assassish... Anassish.. " he stopped a moment, trying to straighten the knots in his tongue, "continue t' save 'is shun-burnted hide from assassinsh.... or shave ush from s'picious Rafoo's who'll hang scapers-goats." Those nearby fell quiet - it was a dangerous comment to make, and regardless of who may or may not agree - those words were dangerous in the daylight, where anyone could hear them. Someone near Ari whispered to a companion, Aye, it's said the Rafao's general tried it, 'n 'ee's hangin' for it tonight.. all public 'n discouraging like.

The man at the end of the bar set down his mug, dark, nearly black eyes turning to watch the commotion. Something had to be done - promptly. The Bad Omen was known for it's patronage being rather of the shady kind, but the tavern itself kept a low profile. Ramek was down at the far end of the bar, in an argument with another customer - he didn't seem to have heard.

Post by Guest »

OOC: I'm leaving on Friday and coming back on July 10th. :D Wisconsin, here I come! [Yay! Muchisllie is going to be playable! That means that the evil plot could evilly and subtly lead to the evil place with the evil brother who evilly resides in the evil place and evilly Ari could travel to the evil place and some evil things could possibly take place in that evil group of evil islands. I have no idea what I just said, what are you talking about? ;)]

Ari nearly dropped the wet pitcher as it was forced into her hands, but luckily, her reflexes were still fairly sharp, and she was able to breathe a sigh of relief and listen once more to Ramek words. She tried to get her two banner in, but he stifled her responses just as quickly as he had shoved the pitcher into her unsuspecting hands, "Why ... But I ... I wasn't ..." Ramek slapped a soapy rag onto the counter, and Ari's words died in her throat.

Ari dashed around, filling drinks, and had no time to confront Ramek again, or any other customer for that matter, for as quickly as they came, they left, and Ari neither heard more than a few flicker's worth of conversation nor had time to ask the customer what was going on. However, she had ample time to reflect.

As she worked, Ari noticed a local at the far end of the bar, he sat alone, though every so often, another customer would sit next to him, talk for a while, and then he would be alone again. Ari studied him in great detail as much as she could between customers, however this didn't give her much time to gaze off in his direction, because she was very busy.

Just as a dull moment came and Ari was free to observe the man at the end of the bar, a drunk staggered up to the bar. He hefted his tankard in Ari's direction, and said, "G'me a fill, luv..." He gave her a wink, and his smelly breath washed over Ari like a skunk sprays it's stink. Oh Anasis, I feel faint. And indeed, she did feel a bit light headed, and as she reached out to fill his mug, he raised it high, and straightened up before proclaiming, "Drinksh all aroun'..."

Ari doubted this greatly, he probably barely knew what he was saying, let alone what the implications were. "Here'sh to the Rafoo..." He started, plastering a smile on his face before continuing. "May Uphuruon and Assanis...Assassish...Anassish..." The man paused in his proclamation a moment to untie his knotted tongue, and continued, "continue t' save 'is shun-burnted hide from assassinsh... or shave ush from s'picious Rafoo's who'll hang scapers-goats." Everyone within earshot quieted, a comment like that was dangerous enough on it's own... and to say it so brazenly out in the open in the middle of the day like this...

Up to this point, Ari had been completely focused on the drunk's toast, but now, she heard one whisper to another, "Aye, it's said the Rafao's general tried it, 'n 'ee's hangin' for it tonight...all public 'n discouraging like." Ari stifled a gasp of surprise, and turned sharply towards the pair. So preoccupied with the prospect of news was she, that she didn't see the man at the end of the bar turn towards them, nor did she see the comtemplating look on his face, or the argument Ramek was having. No, Ari's full attention was on the pair, and as soon as she could string the words together she asked, "What did you just say? What's happening? What about the general?"

Post by Guest »

As she worked, Ari noticed a local at the far end of the bar, he sat alone, though every so often, another customer would sit next to him, talk for a while, and then he would be alone again. Ari studied him in great detail as much as she could between customers, however this didn't give her much time to gaze off in his direction, because she was very busy.

A few flickers of observation was enough to ascertain the basics - a man between 20 and 30 yahren, features youthful but his coffee toned skin already accumulating a few wrinkles at brow and eye corners. Dark eyes seemed to focus mainly on the counter before him, even when his visitors slid onto the next stool over. Whatever words were exchanged were lost in the boisterousness of the afternoon's drinking. Height was impossible to tell for certain, but he seemed of average build, and seemed relative to the others at the bar. His garments were non-descript, lightened to a shady tan by Amun Rah's dusty streets.

No, Ari's full attention was on the pair, and as soon as she could string the words together she asked, "What did you just say? What's happening? What about the general?"

The pair, startled, flung their widened eyes in her direction at the question - two middle-aged men, brothers by their facial similarities, paused briefly. The one who hadn't whispered the original statement, cleared his throat, downing the last few drops of his drink and then peering exaggeratedly into it's empty confines. "Well, it's down to this Lass..." the mug settled before him, with a mournful sigh. "There was an attempted killing of the Rafao t' other day - and it's his <i>bodyguard</i> not his general." An irritated glance found it's resting place on his companion, who shrugged.

"Seeing as how the man was both personal bodyguard and ran military - close nuff to a general Wim." They both looked expectantly at Ari, not dropping coins by their identically empty mugs. "You been gone Lass? Can't imagine you've missed the Riot in Foreigner's Court? The Assassination...? Well, maybe you'll get t' see the hangin'." The latter speaker eyed her, as if out of habit, but with no real intent to do anything.

The outspoken drunk continued to mutter as he plopped down onto a stool, though he turned to the gentlemen Ari was speaking to, lifting his mug and bellowing tipsily. "Maybe'sh righ'! Shure... a hanging... poshibly..." the man 'lowered' his voice into a raspy stage whisper, tapping a finger on one side of his temples. "Who'sh next? They shtart blamin' mil'taryish blokesh... innoshent... gotta shtand up to..." Distracted by his own words the drunk started to stand, weaving in place.

One or two customers abruptly stood, forcing their way from the building, the drunk's statements caused the others who were lingering to shift uncomfortably. Guilt by association could be an uncomfortable place to be, and the space around their section of the bar cleared - except for the drunk, the two brothers waiting expectantly for their mugs to be filled - just in case Ari had questions - and the man at the end of the bar, who's eyes were once more focused on the drink cradled between two palms.

As Ari's area lightened of customers, Ramek grew busy serving the ones who had been by her. He shot one or two harrumphing glances her way, but wasn't storming down to confront her yet.

Post by Guest »

Ari listened carefully to the pair's explanation, taking it all in with silent shock. All this happened in the few days I was gone...? I can't imagine if I had stayed a week! All hell could break loose... But Ari wasn't one to let her mind wander, so she cut in at the end of his last comment. "Aye, I've been gone all right. It's amazing what can happen in a few days time." Her speech had slowed, for she now had a fair grasp of what had taken place, but while she felt more in control, she was far from satisfied. "Now," she said as she poured them more ale, "tell me more about this riot and assassination." Though that explains a lot, the security, the magistrate...

Before either of the pair could answer however, the drunk plopped down next to the man whom Ari was pumping for information, and continued loudly, "Maybe'sh righ!" Ari winced as a bit of spittle and beer flew onto her face, the disgusting things she had to put up with in her life. "Shure... a hanging... poshibly..." the man lowered his voice to what he thought was a whisper, but was more of a raspy shout, and said, "Who'sh next? They shtart blamin' mil'taryish blokesh... innoshent... gotta shtand up to..." The man stood up, wavering in place. A few others nearby, having enough, put coins on the counter and forced there way from the tavern, while others edged uncomfortably away, not keen on staying.

Ari's serving area thinned, leaving only three men. Ramek shot her glares down the bar, and somehow she managed to supress a smile, though inside she shouted in triumph. Serves him right for keeping me in the dark. Ari gloated, before turning once more to fill the already drained mugs of the brothers and the drunk, glory fading into dread about the political state of Abu'Sahir. Looks like one way or another, I may be dragged into the center of this battle... no matter that it is the last place I want to be.

OOC: And you know what's funny? I'm reading a book about stuff like this: Trickster's Queen by Tamora Pierce, perhaps you've heard of it?
Last edited by Guest on Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by Guest »

OOC: Ari, sorry to be such a bum in taking so long. Life's taken me by surprise a bit this last while. - And, btw, I've heard of the author... but not the book. :)

IC:
"Now," she said as she poured them more ale, "tell me more about this riot and assassination." Though that explains a lot, the security, the magistrate...

After a moment, the drunk dropped back into his seat, face mournful until his mug was refilled. With the drunk momentarily silenced, the two brothers hunkered down with their mugs, wetting their throats and exchanging a brief smirk, their expressions transparently smug at getting free beer.

"Well lass, right about gravetide las' night, the slaves tried to rebel, it seems. Something about an oasis, and lives and whatnot. Their own little fantasies. The nubs deserved what they got." The left brother grimaced at these remarks, hastening to explain after a large gulp of beer.

"C'mon, lass, I'm sure even you can imagine trained guards against, well.. bare fists?" The two downed another large gulp, taking their time about explaining. Bleary-eyed, the drunk piped in his mournful two cents.

"Bloody dusht.. the Rafoo parading aroun'.. (hic) shovin hish execushionsh inna our facesh..." The drunks face darkened from his earlier mockery and light-hearted attitude of moments before. "The Rafoo'sh the one rebellin'.. yesh... shlavess fightin' fer the Rafoo... 'n he whacks 'em ... Teldrin'sh goota do shomethin..."The drunk's voice rose and fell, but there were blissfully few paying attention at this end of the bar, just the lone man on the end of Ari's side of the bar, the drunk... and the two brothers... who were now shifting uncertainly in their seats, rapidly guzzling what remained of their ale. Their eyes glanced around nervously, and their rumps began sliding off their seats simultaneously.

"Eh, Lass... we better be off then. Y'should go to th' execution, 'bout EveningTide - lots of information around there." The other brother tipped his free mug of beer towards Ari, after a surreptitious glance at Ramek, still busy but for the occassional glares Ari's way. If she didn't find something productive to do, there would be a few uncomfortable flickers when he next had a spare moment.

Teldrin. <i>Tedrin</i> The first mispronounced name would spark recognition of the only name the drunk could mean: Tedrin. Amun Rah, it was said, had two kings, the Rafao - said to be sanctified by the gods - and Tedrin - who ruled the streets with a harsh grasp that rivaled the Rafao's own power. Very little of the city's events went unmonitored by his organization (or so it was said), and Tedrin's justice was much more prompt, personal and brutal than the Rafao's. The two led a somewhat uneasy coexistance, quickly stifled comments mocking their need for each other was what gave Amun Rah it's daily existance. These tidbits were strung together like all the other odd, half-true rumors she had picked up while working the Bad Omen.

The drunk muttered to himself as he sagged on the counter-top, breath wheezing through his nostrils with preparatory snores that would lead him off to sleep. His drink, tipped precariously in one hand, began to drip ... and only a prompt action for Ari would keep it from spilling completely on Ramek's newly swiped counters.

Left momentarily alone, she was spared Ramek's immediate descent as he began loudly discussing a patron's inappropriate behavior, and threatening to deposit their posterior out the door.

There was the same lone man, mug cradled between two palms, at the end of the bar as had been before - and the tables still had quite a crowd about them, though, after the drunk's outburst, the conversation was a trifle more subdued.

Post by Guest »

OOC: That's okay, I was just wondering what happened, if something came up or something, I was being concerned. *hugs Aislinn*

IC: Ari listened, shocked, to the explanation. Why did they...oh Anasis, when will it end. Too much blood has been spilt. She listened to the drunk, but those thoughts were soon second priority as soon as she heard the sound of ale being guzzled.

With a sigh, Ari turned around and looked at the two brothers, who simultaneously set their mugs down and slid out of their seats. "Thank you for your time boys." She smiled at them before scooping up their mugs, and thinking over what they had said. More information...you know, I think I will go. It'll be better to get information from the higher ups, these two probably got their information from gossip, some of it anyways.

She tidied up the glasses, and remarked. "I've been officially invited to an execution, that has to be a first..." But even as Ari mused to herself, her inattention was punished promptly as the glass the drunk was holding spilled all over Ramek's fairly clean counters. I've got enough without Ramek on my back for this too! So, with a sigh, Ari decided to purge the smell.

So, Ari washed down this side of the counter, as it had magically accumulated ale and filth, letting fresh scents overwhelm the alcoholic ones. This bit of cleaning inevitably led her down to the end of the bar where the man holding the mug still sat. He seemed to be absorbed in some sort of fascinating show, but with a cough of the throat and a bright smile, Ari offered him more ale, prepared to pump him for information, "Would you like some more?"
Last edited by Guest on Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

OOC: Hehe. *Hugs* No problem! I appreciate the concern, honestly!

IC:
So, Ari washed down this side of the counter, as it had magically accumulated ale and filth, letting fresh scents overwhelm the alcoholic ones. This bit of cleaning inevitably led her down to the end of the bar where the man holding the mug still sat.

Ramek, satisfied that Ari was at least performing some service, had settled back to wipe out glasses with a somewhat dubious rag, setting each on shelves behind him, as space allowed between pitchers, casks, and bottles of liquor.
He seemed to be absorbed in some sort of fascinating show, but with a cough of the throat and a bright smile, Ari offered him more ale, prepared to pump him for information, "Would you like some more?"

The man's face slowly lifted, as if only now aware of her presence, the blacks of his eyes wide in the dimness of the Bad Omen's interior. There was a brief flicker of awareness in the reflection of them, though this was soon lost as a few crow's feet wrinkled with a brief, thin-lipped smile. The wrinkles seemed oddly out of place, but no less present, in his strong, youthful face - lent more consequence by his slightly dark-toned skin, obviously darker than even a deep tan would warrant.

"Such would not be, unwelcome..." Quiet-spoken, his voice was just audible for her ears alone. He lifted his mug, draining no more than a few errant drops, and stretched it about halfway between them, an easy reach. His sleeve lacked the raggedness and patches of many frequent customers, though dust lent it an appearance of wear from a distance.

As he awaited her follow-through, his eyes seemed to flicker down the length of the bar, pausing at the several empty barstools on either side of the drunk, and then eyeing the full bar down by Ramek. There was a vague suggestion of amusement beneath those eyes, which turned back to her as he noted, again in that firm, quiet voice, "Your custom seems a bit uneven this tide, Ari Tyto."
Last edited by Guest on Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

The man slowly raised his head to look at who was speaking. Ari observed the man in interest, he was not like other customers she served, and she had never seen him before. Even in the dimmer light she could see him clearly. He had dark skin tones and dark, almost black eyes. After she had been able to look her fill, his voice came like a quiet breeze, intended for her ears only, “Such would not be, unwelcome…”

He drained the last drops of his glass, and stretched it out between them. While filling his mug, Ari noticed that his clothes were of better quality than most customers, but appeared well traveled, as if he’d come a great distance. This evoked something in the back of Ari’s mind, though she couldn’t quite think of what it was.

While she was filling his mug, she missed his eyes flicker around in observation. However, she did not fail to notice the amusement that seemed to flit in the dark depths of his eyes as he said, “Your custom seems a bit uneven this tide, Ari Tyto.”

She didn’t know why, but her heart seemed to skip a beat at the sound of her name. How does he … I’ve never seen him before…what… Despite the slight confusion inside, she kept her cool exterior. “Aye, but your custom would be uneven if you came back to this.” Ari made a wide gesture with one arm. “Speaking of which, do you know anything more about the Rafao or the riot?” She waited for his answer, wondering about this interesting and somewhat unnerving man.

OOC: As you can see, Ari is not someone easily deterred. I share Ari’s feelings about the man. Ramek is not going to be pleased that she’s stopped working, is he? ;) Can’t wait for your next post!

Post by Guest »

“Aye, but your custom would be uneven if you came back to this.” Ari made a wide gesture with one arm. “Speaking of which, do you know anything more about the Rafao or the riot?” She waited for his answer, wondering about this interesting and somewhat unnerving man.

Cradling his left palm around the mug, the man took a slow drink, followed by a slight salute with it as he conceded her point. "The Rafao? The riot?" There was an approving glint in his eyes, she had guessed, correctly, that despite his apparent absorption in his drink, much of what had been spoken had wound its way into his ears.

"The Rafao, it seems, appeared at the tail-end of the riot to disperse the crowds and restore order. It seems he keeps company with a dark elf, recently rumored to have done the Rafao some kind of service. It does not take a priest to figure what kind, considering the holiday today. It will take a day or two for the rumors to emerge, only then will one be able to sift the sands..." His glance shifted down the length of the bar as he paused, the only warning Ari would have of Ramek storming over. "Just returned to the city, I take it you won't have learned the Rafao proclaimed an official holiday to celebrate the Execution?" These last words were again, quiet, passed on quietly as one might pass a knife - he waited, watching to see whether this information would have any effect on the ensuing argument. Face slanting down towards his mug, he slowly settled elbows on either side, hiding a faint smirk as he rendered himself uninteresting to bartender on rampage.

"Ty----Toooooo!" It was the most deep-throated growl she would have heard emerging from a human being. The man flexed his burly fists (Ari would know this was more for show than any real threat, for all his posturing during her time at the Bad Omen, his growl was the thing to fear.) "Do you think your job is to frighten customers away?! Do you hear what they're getting all chatty about down there?" Ramek's voice tightened so that only she and her lone customer (whom he had neglected to notice) bore the brunt of his upset. "When will you learn..? You let the drunks proclaim politics, and we lose half our custom." His head whipped around to glare at the droning snores emerging from the drunk collapsed over his empty mug, then whipped his face back, glowering at Ari as he crossed his arms.

"Think about it, Tyto. What do you think will happen <i>if the bloody Rafao's guard comes wandering in here?</i> By Uphuron! Discontented muttering is one thing, but outright proclaiming...!" Wanting to pummel the point into Ari's head, he waited, glaring, for an answer, disregarding the lone man drinking at the bar end. He waited for her to consider the Bad Omen's clientele, few of whom would want notice by the Rafao's guardsmen. Ramek seemed a little on edge, as the drunk's words had been only mildly inflamatory. However, if they started letting a few people shoot off their mouths....

Post by Guest »

OOC: *dies* *words written on wall: I told you I couldn't wait*

Ari listened carefully to this news. Wow...you miss a little, you miss a lot around here. When the man paused, and looked down the bar, Ari did too, and saw Ramek stomping furiously towards. Oh shit. She gulped, and returned to looking at the man, hoping by paying little attention to him, she could deter Ramek's wrath.

As soon as she'd heard the last bit of news, her stomach turned upside and right side up again. But even though horror was in her stomach, she tried, and failed, not to let it show on her face. I'm going to have to pay more attention to people like this, they really do pick up on a lot...and the holiday, I know I won’t celebrate, stupid bloody holiday. The man returned to his glass as Ramek growled, "Ty----Toooooo!"

Ari turned to face a positively livid Ramek. I am in such deep- "Do you think your job is to frighten customers away?! Do you hear what they're getting all chatty about down there?" Ari shook her head weakly, though she had a sneaking suspicion. "When will you learn..? You let the drunks proclaim politics, and we lose half our custom." Ramek glared at the drunk. But the drunks have really interesting news. It's your fault, you didn't tell me what was going on, if you would have maybe... Ramek's attention was back on her.

"Think about it, Tyto. What do you think will happen if the bloody Rafao's guard comes wandering in here? By Uphuron! Discontented muttering is one thing, but outright proclaiming...!" Though Ari knew he wouldn't actually hit her, his hand made her a bit nervous, for he looked as if he wanted to pummel her head. He's tightly strung today. I suppose I would be too...if I had been here.

Ari, using a bit of sense, ducked her head, and apologized. "I...I understand. I-I'm sorry, I wasn't thinking Ramek." She clenched her fists discretely behind her back; it killed her to apologize to Ramek. "I-It won't happen again. I'll make sure it won't." Besides, she didn't want to upset him further, and lose her chance of hearing more from the man. Bracing herself for the outburst she knew would come about sorry not being enough, she listened restlessly to Ramek.

I wonder who this man is, that he is so well informed? What does he know about the riot? Who is he anyways?
Last edited by Guest on Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:27 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Post by Guest »

OOC: :twisted: I know. :)

Ari, using a bit of sense, ducked her head, and apologized. "I...I understand. I-I'm sorry, I wasn't thinking Ramek." She clenched her fists discretely behind her back; it killed her to apologize to Ramek. "I-It won't happen again. I'll make sure it won't." Besides, she didn't want to upset him further, and lose her chance of hearing more from the man. Bracing herself for the outburst she knew would come about sorry not being enough, she listened restlessly to Ramek.

The former executioner leaned forwards, looming in her direction, when a chance grunt emerged from the man at the bar's end. Ramek cast a cursory glance his direction and had his mouth opened to fulfill Ari's prediction when he did a double-take. The grunt from the unnamed man evolved into a chuckle, and those dark eyes lifted to meet Ramek's with what appeared mild amusement.

"Deven!?" The man with the mug straightened as Ramek's attention shifted almost completely, the latter's anger flowing away until nothing was left but mild annoyance. "You goat. Come to prune, eh? Well I won't stand for it. Tell your boss I'm not giving any more up to your ways - I just got this one trained the way I like...."

"Really? Poor judgement, fair discernment - yes, those are different - quick eye, an easy ear, a trifle distracted I admit... Seems a poor match, in some ways, like trying to put water in a wine-skin. I think I've got just the vessel, as well..." It seemed to be mostly friendly banter - but one that seemed to cast Ramek into a wary mood. There was no opportunity for Ari to break in, try as she might - but neither seemed to take any note.

"Lazy, intractable... better off where it is to take some fixin'..."

"Handles correction, and I would say more bored than lazy....?" At this point, Deven cast his eyes at Ari - a look of piercing assessment, as if he could peel her soul apart, layer by layer, to see how tempered it was for what he had in mind. It wasn't intended as threatening, but it was a look that almost commanded intimidation by it's very nature - a challenge that seemed to say <i>prove yourself</i>. "Besides, Bad Omen rumors have it ... let's see if I can recall the exact words... ah yes... "A bloody bit testy at times and oft-times mouth-runnin', but what better aspects for a 'tender?" and wasn't it you who mentioned, just this morning, "You'd not leave your bar to anyone else?" Ramek's ears were turning red, at which point he promptly yanked a towel from a pocket - violently tugging at it with both hands as he glared at Deven - then cast an indiscriminately furious gaze at Ari, for hearing such things repeated. At which point, muttering unintelligably, he stormed off for the other end of the bar, ears blazing. One or two customers fled to tables at this stormy approach, but such escaped his notice.

No longer unnamed, Deven watched the other man for a moment before turning to Ari, smiling briefly, and promptly lifting his mug to his lips for a long, slow wetting of a throat dried by talk. Again there was that challenge, both eyebrows raising mildly as he took in her reaction. There were several paths to the correct conclusion, but paths could always be learnt later. The least he hoped for was that her interest was piqued - the best, that she'd reached some conclusions - such would be a feat indeed, with the little information available to her.

Post by Guest »

OOC: *is alive again* Yay! He has been named. Your post led me to a conclusion, but that's just my one-track mind kicking in. Ah the bliss of being able to not jump to conclusions...

IC: Ari's nose itched, but she couldn't scratch it while Ramek was leaning in. Then, the man at the end of the bar made a sound, and Ramek looked over at him. Spared from Ramek's lecture, she scratched her nose in relief. Ah, the simple things in life. The man chuckled and looked up at Ramek, who exclaimed, "Deven!?" So that's his name...Ramek knows him?

"You goat. Come to prune, eh? Well I won't stand for it. Tell your boss I'm not giving any more up to your ways - I just got this one trained the way I like..." I am not trained...filthy idiot.. But nonetheless, Ari listened with interest. Giving up to his ways...what are his ways?

"Really? Poor judgement, fair discernment - yes, those are different - quick eye, an easy ear, a trifle distracted I admit... Seems a poor match, in some ways, like trying to put water in a wine-skin. I think I've got just the vessel, as well..." What is he ... is he talking about me...? Ramek seemed even more tightly strung than before. Ari didn't have a chance to ask about anything they were saying, and that annoyed her, but not so much as she'd rudely interrupt and miss out on what they were going on about...

"Lazy, intractable... better off where it is to take some fixin'..."

"Handles correction, and I would say more bored than lazy....?" Deven looked back over at her, and fixed her with a piercing gaze. Ari almost shivered, but held herself steady, for she felt that not only would it be the wrong thing to do, but her future was being decided here and now, it made her nervous. "Besides, Bad Omen rumors have it ... let's see if I can recall the exact words... ah yes... "A bloody bit testy at times and oft-times mouth-runnin', but what better aspects for a 'tender?" and wasn't it you who mentioned, just this morning, "You'd not leave your bar to anyone else?" Ramek’s ear turned red, and he drew a towel. He appeared as if he were trying to strangle the towel, but with a few furious glares, he stormed off down towards the other end of the bar. What was that all about…? What does Deven want of me?

Deven watched Ramek for a minute before smiling, somewhat smugly, at Ari, and returning to a mug. Ari was lost in thought for a while. Where does Ramek know this man from? I know he was an executioner, maybe something to do with that? Or maybe he’s been down here before…what does he do for a living then? I’ve never seen him, and it’s obvious that Ramek’s a little uneasy around him, but why? Talking about me like cattle, as if I wasn’t there, bloody idiots. Her thoughts paused for a moment, and she looked back down at Ramek, before turning back to Deven.

There was interest alight in her eyes, but she returned to thought once more. He’s hinting at giving me a job, at what though? He seems to be a bit more … in control … then Ramek, and he likes to poke at him too. What was this about Ramek not leaving his bar to anyone else? Ari’s insides flamed momentarily, then cooled. It’s not like it matters, I don’t really like this job anyways. It would be nice to get away from alcohol…but what does this man do for a living? At least he got something right, I do tire of this job, a change would be nice, but it pays for Sands, and for me. Ramek’s nice enough when not in a mood… it depends, it depends entirely on this man on what becomes of me… Ari shook herself from her daze, and with that conclusion reached, she felt a bit nervous, but concealed it easily.

With a bit of self restraint, she kept her thoughts to herself, and leaned forward slightly, the tavern almost forgotten, first voicing the most obvious question on her mind, "You know Ramek...? From where?" Ari listened closely to his answer, and asked another question. "What was that all about?" She decided to save the specific questions for later, when she had enough information to determine whether they were appropriate, and which ones she should ask first.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

OOC: Ais's off getting married and cool stuff like that, so how about a tie-over post or two?

IC:

"Everyone knows Ramek," he replied cooly, the appraising look still in his eyes. "Just like everyone knows Yabal over at Anurith's Golden Ram. If you've been in Abu`Sahir long enough, long as I have, there are certain faces that are impossible to miss." Deven glanced over to Ramek who was busying himself with another bar-related task, this time he was adjusting the bottles of liquor, shifting them aggitatedly, as if his mind were much more concerned with something other than the placement of the varying containers.

"And all that was about you, but you already knew that, or you would've walked away." His brows lowered a bit and he lifted the heavy earthenware mug to his lips to take another swig. He hadn't done as much talking as the first round, but he still longed for the wetting. Perhaps it was the dry air, pulling the moisture out of everything in the city. Deven's dark eyes scoured the surface of the frothy mead, it's bitter undertone wafting through the air and dancing under Ari's nostrils. He had another scent about him, smoke, and an underlying smell of something she didn't recognize, but was pungent and almost made her want to sneeze, or sleep, she couldn't tell which.

The man set down his glass and cupped his palms around it, cradling the beverage. It was almost half gone after his initial deep pull, and the second sip, but he didn't look as if he was going for another drought right away. "You've known Ramek for a good while, then? You seem good at your job, good with your customers, but too interested in the politics and gossip to do it the justice of a simple barmaid. You've got too much light in those eyes to waste it here." The strange man looked around the room, his gaze casting over the customers who remained. Most didn't notice it, but those who did shifted under the weight of it.

"Perhaps you'd like to do something else? Something better... more intriguing.. new... get you more money for you little horse, more money so you wouldn't have to bathe in the stalls." Here his lips pulled up in the slightest smile, only noticable if Ari had been watching him continuously.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]

Post by Guest »

"Everyone knows Ramek, just like everyone knows Yabal over at Anurith's Golden Ram. If you've been in Abu`Sahir long enough, long as I have, there are certain faces that are impossible to miss." Deven and Ari looked over at Ramek, who was arranging bottles of liquor. He looks nervous. "And all that was about you, but you already knew that, or you would've walked away." Deven drank a little more of his drink. Of course I knew it was about me, I'm not stupid. He's being slightly evasive...

As Deven sipped more ale from his mug, it's alcoholic smell wafted up to Ari's nose, and her nose crinkled at it's repellent smell. She'd never quite gotten used to it, and it was worse today, after being in the fresh air. Another scent hung around Deven; it was a smoky smell, with a bit of something else in it. The smell tickled her nose, and she sneezed twice, with force.

"You've known Ramek for a good while, then? You seem good at your job, good with your customers, but too interested in the politics and gossip to do it the justice of a simple barmaid. You've got too much light in those eyes to waste it here." He looked around, people shrank away slightly at his gaze, except for those who did not see it.

"I'm not interested in politics, just news, and a lot of news comes from gossip when you've been out of town for the past few days." Ari bit back. She was getting tired; she'd had a long day filled with excitement. Ari's patience was wearing thin. "Normally, I do no take part in such things."

"Perhaps you'd like to do something else? Something better... more intriguing… new... get you more money for you little horse, more money so you wouldn't have to bathe in the stalls." Ari had been running her hand through her hair, loosening it from its ties, ruffling it up a bit. Quietly, she shifted the pitcher to the counter.

"I do not need to take showers in the stalls, I merely did so today because I had a feeling I wouldn't have time once I stepped into the Inn, and because the idea of walking in, covered in sand, didn't appeal to me." She was weary now, but interested. Ari was annoyed, yes, but more intrigued, so she continued. "But what kind of job are we talking about here?"

The idea of another job lifted her spirits a bit. A chance to get away from the horrible smell and filth of the Bad Omen... But wait, what kind of job could it be? Would I want to do it more than bartend? Probably...and he hinted that it would pay better...

OOC: *does victory dance* I knew that a job would come up some way! You know what would be funny and anti-climactic? If she was offered a job at a flower shop. *laughs* Ari and I would dumb-founded...especially because it probably wouldn’t pay as much as he says the job would pay…

Yay! 111 posts! Woot! Like Bilbo...Bilbo Baggins, bravest little hobbit of them all!
Last edited by Guest on Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:57 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"There are plenty of people who could care less about the business of this city, Ari." He replied. "There are plenty who would be fine never leaving, never seeing anything aside from dust covered buildings and the ripples in the sands. The furthest they will venture is to the coast, where they can't help but look longingly out into the waters, wishing they had that drive, that need, to do more. You have that need in your eyes. You want something more than this." His hand lifted a bit, and motioned around them with a vague movement.

"I have a friend who can offer you something more than this, if you are interested." Deven looked over to Ramek who didn't seem to approve of the recruiting of one of his barmaids. "The specifics of the job aren't exactly to be spoken of here, however, with so many prying eyes and walls with ears."

"Perhaps a meeting would be in order... say for tomorrow morning?" He glanced back to Ari and anticipated her acceptance. "There is a statue of Ionis, in Foreigner's Court, do you know it? All gold -- he's holding his staff and looking quite just and proud." It was a known piece, fairly new, but still amazingly crafted. "I will meet you there."

Ramek, from the corner of Ari's eye, was shaking his head. He really did not approve, but he had no say in the bartender's life, or her choice in profession. It seemed as if he might have to get another bartender however, and that was always a pain in the ass, especially in a place like the Bad Omen, where more people were afraid to pay patronage than anywhere else, nevermind to work there.

Post by Guest »

OOC: Okay, I'm ready to post. It took me all week, but now I'm in the right mindset. (Oh yes, and I hope there isn't a time keeping candle thingy in there, otherwise I'll change it)

IC: "There are plenty of people who could care less about the business of this city, Ari." Yeah, but those are mostly the simpletons. "There are plenty who would be fine never leaving, never seeing anything aside from dust covered buildings and the ripples in the sands. The furthest they will venture is to the coast, where they can't help but look longingly out into the waters, wishing they had that drive, that need, to do more. You have that need in your eyes. You want something more than this." He raised and moved his hand a bit, Ari followed it with her eyes.

"I have a friend who can offer you something more than this, if you are interested." Deven looked over at Ramek, and Ari glanced quickly over there as well, thinking intently. "The specifics of the job aren't exactly to be spoken of here, however, with so many prying eyes and walls with ears."

"Perhaps a meeting would be in order... say for tomorrow morning?"

"Okay." Ari replied slowly, fingers fidgeting underneath the bar.

"There is a statue of Ionis, in Foreigner's Court, do you know it?" She nodded. "All gold -- he's holding his staff and looking quite just and proud." Ari really liked that statue; the way it sparkled in the sun, and the amazing detail! "I will meet you there." Cool...

Ari could see Ramek out of the corner of her eye, but ignored him. I wonder what job exactly it is ... I wonder if when this guy, Deven, leaves, I can have food ... stupid mind! Do not wander!

She almost offered Deven more to drink out of habit, but stopped that just in time. It would be a completely and utterly stupid thing to say. And now the silence becomes uncomfortable. I wonder what the time is... Ari glanced around before remembering that there wasn't anything keeping track of the time.

"Do you happen to know the time?" She asked Deven hopefully, but knowing that he probably didn't have any idea. How long have we been talking? Ari unconsciously had ran her fingers through her hair, so with a sigh, she put it back up while listening to Deven's answer.
Last edited by Guest on Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"Tomorrow morning it is then." The man stood in a fluid motion and looked at the barkeep. "Ramek."

"Deven."

They nodded to one another with almost an indifferent attitude. Deven leaned in toward Ari as Ramek returned his gaze to a man at the counter demanding another ale in no friendly terms. "Quit your job here." He straightened up, and as he did, he pulled the scent of his body with him, leaving Ari in the barren smell of the bar.

He never answered her question, infact, it was much like he hadn't heard it at all. Maybe it didn't serve him to answer her. He was already walking out the door. A few coins littered the counter where he had been sitting. Three banner, and a single crown beneath the cup, where many patrons put the tips for their waitperson.

"Ari!" Ramek shouted over to her. "Table five is in dire need of attention." Three men were sitting together. They were huge, rugged, and covered in tattoos. They showed images of women on their arms, barely dressed, some with fish tails instead of legs. Other body art was anchors, and flags, and one was off a scull with crossbones beneath a wicked dagger. They were boisterous and laughing with deep tones. Each were unique however. "Hurry, please. Don't make them wait."

Post by Guest »

"Tomorrow morning it is then. Ramek."

"Deven."

Deven leaned towards her and whispered, "Quit your job here." He left her there, and Ari had only questions left. She felt a chill settle in her bones. Quit my job... She pondered this. I guess it's all or nothing from here on out.

Her unanswered question hung in the air ominously. Ari was left to her thoughts for the time being, and started cleaning this section of the counter. You could never have a clean enough bar, after all. As she washed she lifted and cleaned the few cups that were left, and when Ari busied herself over where Deven was sitting, she found a crown and three banner. As the barmaid was putting them in her apron pocket, Ramek called her attention.

"Ari! Table five is in dire need of attention." She observed the heavily tattooed men. They looked like they were drunk and merry, guffawing loudly and slapping each other's backs. Ari felt a moment of indecision. "Hurry, please. Don't make them wait."

Her mind made up, jaw set, she turned to Ramek and said quite clearly. "No." Oh Anasis, please let this be the right thing to do. Her heart fluttered, but she stood there, and slowly, she laid her rag down. "No," Ari continued. "I'm finished. I quit."
Last edited by Guest on Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"You're shitting me!" Ramek turned on her as if he were one of the vicious desert cats and she were a piece of meat. He growled with equal animosity. "Ari, you finish your damned night, and you get your damned pay at the end of it." His feral eyes glared at her.

The barkeep watched as she put the rag down and his shoulders squared. "You get offa my property then, whore!" Ramek came around the bar, and everyone in the place watched with intensity. It was like a lover's quarrel and none of them could look away. Definately far too interesting, and much more interesting than the conversations they had been having.

"I cannot believe that I helped you, gave you a place to work. You ingrate! Ungrateful wretch!" The muscled man had closed the gap between them with alarming speed. Suddenly he was directly infront of her, burning with furosity. "You've failed me, Ari." Ramek lifted his arm and was about to slap her with the back of his hand when another arm appeared. There was a tattoo, or the flash of one, on the inside of the wrist as a steel grip fastened onto the barkeep's wrist.

"Now, sir. I doubt we be need to resort to violence against the woman." Ari could feel the warmth of a body pressing against her. There was a hard muscled exterior, the line of abdomen and hip trailing downward to thigh next to the back of her own. A rustling of cloth filled her ears and the scent of cologne, spices, wood and the ocean were around her filling her nostrils.

Ramek's jaw set in a similar fashion as Ari's had. He swallowed his anger, and his pride, and relaxed his shoulders. The hand let go, but didn't step away from her body. Instead the hand dropped back past her, brushing her upper arm as it went to join the body of the stranger. "Boys. I don't believe this is the establishment we will be dining in this evening. Your cowardice towards women has caused you a great loss in business on this day, barkeep. Perhaps you shall keep that in mind before you try to abuse another lady." Each one of his words sent a wave of warm air over Ari's shoulder, past her neck, gracing along her jawbone and chin. The voice behind her cleared his throat and then spoke to her, velvety soft in tone. "Miss, may I walk you outside?"

Post by Guest »

"You're shitting me!" Ramek shouted. "Ari, you finish your damned night, and you get your damned pay at the end of it."

"You get offa my property then, whore!" Ramek rushed towards her at an amazing speed.

"WHORE? Who are you calling a whore you sodding, filthy, pig!" Ari bit back. She regretted her words almost instantly. Damn my diminutive size.

"I cannot believe that I helped you, gave you a place to work. You ingrate! Ungrateful wretch!" He towered above her. "You've failed me, Ari." The woman in question was upright, facing Ramek with burning furiously. Ari hid her trembling hand behind her back and stared back at him, unflinching. His hand rose up and came down fast, speeding towards Ari's face. She almost closed her eyes, but the hand stopped halfway to her face.

"Now, sir. I doubt we be need to resort to violence against the woman." Her eyes followed the hand up an arm that was attached to a body. She felt him against her, and was comforted, except, Damn, why does everyone have to be so tall?

"Boys. I don't believe this is the establishment we will be dining in this evening. Your cowardice towards women has caused you a great loss in business on this day, barkeep." Ari was beginning to feel dizzy. "Perhaps you shall keep that in mind before you try to abuse another lady. Miss, may I walk you outside?"

"Um...yes ... but I uh ... have to get my things from upstairs." For a moment, Ari's head was muddled, but with a shake of her head, she managed to clear her thoughts. Swiftly, Ari walked through the tavern, fidgeting uncomfortably.

Upon reaching the stairs, she practically flew up them and into her room. As fast as she could, she threw her possessions haphazardly into her bag, thinking about what had happened. Her most prominent thought was, What would have happened if he hadn't stepped in?

She tightened the fastenings of her bag and sighed. While her job was less savory than she had hoped for, she would miss her quiet little room. It signified freedom to her, and bore so many memories. With a whispered farewell, Ari left that room for, what she hoped would be, the last time.

OOC: Sorry it took me so long. :P I hope Ari'll be able to kick Ramek's ass later on though...maybe her ghost will...
Last edited by Guest on Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Upstairs her things were easily collected. One of the few reasons to be thankful for not having many possessions -- made it easy to gather them in a hurry. It was completely silent up here, which was unusual. Amun Rah's notorious establishment was never quiet, however the man who had stepped inbetween the argument of Ramek and she had silenced them all.

It didn't take her long to get downstairs, and as she did a few whispers raised around the room. People spoke behind their hands, or in the case of a single man, completely aloud. He was the drunk from earlier, the one who had made a scene of himself. "She's back!" A few people hushed him, tried to cushion the noise of his harsh drunken voice.

The sailors who had been station at the table which Ari was supposed to wait upon were no longer seated there, instead, they stood behind a jacketted figure. He didn't fit into Amun Rah by any means, from his clothes to his stance. He stood like a nobleman, tall and proud, not like the men who often took residence in the grimy Bad Omen. Behind him, his crew watched with curiousity, a one with a grin on his face.

"Get her bag." A hand lifted from beneath a cascade of ruffles that spilled from the sleeve of a deep red captains jacket, adorned with gold buttons which gleamed even in the dull light and motioned toward Ari and her belongings.

The jacket itself was dark, but the ruffles of silken lace were pure white, and spilled not only at the sleeves, but also at the neck of the coat, creating a soft foam surrounding a V of exposed tanned flesh of the man's chest. There was no hair upon his chest, unlike that of the seaman who stepped forward.

"Missa, your bag, if you please?" He stuck out a grubby hand and waited for her to give him the parcel so he could carry it as he was instructed.

Landing a third of the way down his thighs, the jacket left plenty of his tight black leggings exposed, as well as the soft black leather boots which came to just above his knees, before they folded over. "Madam, let us begone from this place." That same hand which had motioned toward her just flickers before now raised to beckon her forward. He offered her his arm to take.

His face was abscured in shadow by a large hat, wide-brimmed and black. From it a midnight blue-black feather sprung -- the tip of which was opalescent purple. What she could see, however, was black hair, pulled back with a blue ribbon. It curled loosely, elegantly. Any woman would be jealous of such locks.

Ramek, dirty in more than just the physical sense, and beaten down, as well as angrier than he could express in words, huffed as he turned back toward his bar. He stomped back behind it, to where the glasses were, and stared down the group before him. "Get outta my place! To the nether with all of ye!"

"We're leaving, miscreant, don't make it worse on yourself than it will already be." His voice was carmel, it was sweeter than sin, and it melted all over Ari's body -- covering her in warmth. "Gentlemen, let's go." He turned, with or without the young woman, depending on whether she took the proffered arm, and stepped out the door.

Outside, they were met with immediately still and opressively hot air. The man beside her seemed unphased by it, however. "I believe we will dine on the ship, after all, boys." Clearing his throat gently, the dark haired mystery turned to her: "Allow me to introduce myself," Here he raised his hand and lifted the large hat from his head, lowering it gracefully to the side.

Ari was given the view of a man who was beautiful. One could call him handsome, but that had a connotation of rugged and large features, which the man before her was indeed lacking. However, there was nothing feminine about him. "Captain Laec Devissir, madam, and your name?" He bowed with a flourish and looked deeply into Ari's eyes with neverending blue pools. They were dark, very dark, like sapphires with flecks of lighter blue dashed in them, nearly sparlkling like the seas themselves.

OOC: It's alright, sometimes it takes time for post. I'd like to see more of your own writing in your next post, rather than taking the text from my post, try to just respond in turn with what Ari says. If you have a question on what I mean, just send me a PM, and I'll clarify.

Return to “Amun Rah Archive”