Entrance Thread: The Golden Gates

Moderators: Vanadius, Mods

Entrance Thread: The Golden Gates

Post by Guest »

This is the entrance to the capital of the Isle of Dort, the city that gives its name to the Duchy. Coming from the rolling green hills surrounding Dort, the impressive high stone walls made from the famous dark stone that is succesfully exported because of its hardiness, creates a first impression of a fort. The visitors may wonder at the dry moat that seems to suggest that more peaceful times have come to this town now that the Great Battle is slowly fading into history.

It is the gates that proudly announce what really occupies the minds and hearts of the people of Dort. Carefully gilded in an ancient dwarven mastery of woodcutting and freshly painted as if the gates just rose from the ground yesterday, it is clear that this is the city were money talks and none are shy to exhibit their wealth.

A sign above the gates reads "Duke Von Zu Dort-Billigh welcomes you to Dort. May your visit be profitable and blessed by the lady." It hangs under the shield of the Duchy, featuring a steaming hot plate of stew after the legend how the first Duke of Dort was but a humble farmer who was wise enough to offer the Steward of Tal Alkeen his hospitality when this ruler of the Citadel returned weary from a battle.

Two guards in blue uniforms with obsessively large yellow tassles salute each visitor and with a pleasant smile ask them after their business, offering helpful information where they can.

golden gate

Post by Guest »

Enzirou marched towards the Golden Gate with a sense of monotony,he stopped at the gate and peered inside looking at the people there,he stared at a couple for a moment and saw that money seemed to be carelessly flaunted about.He soon realized that there were two guards standing on either side of him, "Sorry" he said in a relaxed tone

"Is it alright if I enter the town?"

Post by Guest »

The two guards exchanged glances and the one on the halfelves right took out a tablet.

"Well sir it depends. What would your name be and what is your intention for entering our fair city?" he said matter of factly.

The other guard began to walk around the half elf looking him over. Seeing nothing out of the ordinary he moved on to some other newcomers to the city.

Post by Guest »

"My name is Enzirou and I'm looking for a place to stay for the night,I have been walking these hills for awhile and I'm now quite tired." said Enzirou politely.

Post by Guest »

The guard looked at Enzirou and asked, "Could you spell that for me? It is just Enzirou, no second name?"

The guard stood waiting for him to reply.

Post by Guest »

"It's just Enzirou no,second name"he said paitently

Post by Guest »

The guard waited for him to spell his name, and when he didn't, he looked over at Enzirou and smiled. He then quickly jotted down the closest spelling he could muster and said in a cheerful voice, "If I remember correctly you also wanted a place to stay. I might recommend The Scandalous Seamonster."

Upon overhearing the recommendation by his partner the older guard looked at the younger one with a look of astonishment.

Noticing the look on the older guards face he quickly puts in, "Uhh the Drunken Duck which is the most popular Inn is very crowded at this time of yaren and you would probably have more luck finding a room at the place I just mentioned."

Looking over at his superior he shrugged his shoulder slightly hoping that made amends but figured it hadn't and that he would be hearing about this later at the end of his shift.

Smiling at the halfelf he wished him luck and moved on to the next newcomer to the city.

OOC: Just incase I have confused you :oops: ... Anarion would like you to make your Inn post at the Scandalous Seamonster as the Drunken Duck is very full right now. Have fun in Tazlure. :twisted:
Anarión Herunna

Post by Anarión Herunna »

Doran wrote:As Doran approaches the gates,he smiles to himself. Any dwarven child would admire there craftmanship, he thought. Being the first time out Nazareeen he was little anxious and excited. Especially when he seen the two guards standing there . His father voice came to him quick. Humans Doran can't trust them. He quickly pushed the voice out his head,although he was glad he was wearing his plate armor.

Doran looked at the guards,as he quickly searched for correct words in common. Smiling a Guards he finally managed to say Greetings good soldiers. I would like to enter your city if that is possible?

OOC: I moved your thread to the appropriate Entrance Thread. Enjoy! Cyren will guide you through.

Post by Guest »

OOC: :oops: Please forgive my oversite of your post...

IC:The guards stood in silence, looking at the young dwarf, waiting for him to finish whatever he was trying to say. When at last he finally uttered his greetings the two guards gave eachother a quick sideglance and smiled.

"Well met young sir. So you wish entrance into our fair city. I think this might be possible but first you must provide us with your name and your full intention of why you seek entrance."

This said the guard took up his board and waited to write down the information that the dwarf would give him.
Doran
Civus

Post by Doran »

Doran smiled at the guard with board. "My name Doran Norwec son of Duran I come from Nazareeen. I seek work ,refreshment,and rest not neccessarilly in that order." He told the guard.

Doran continued smiling up at the guards. He saw the quick glance the they gave each other, but paid it no mind. After all the guard with writing board is smiling, and isn't he the outsider here at least for now? he said to himself.

Post by Guest »

After writing Doran's name on his board the guard looked down at Doran and asked, "What sort of work will you be inquiring after sir?"

Not wanting to seem nosey the guard added quickly, "I need to know this so that I might make your stay in our city as pleasant as possible. I will know just where to guide your search for work and rest."

The guard then waited for his reply.
Doran
Civus

Post by Doran »

Doran looked at the guard curiously for moment. Thinking maybe the guard new somebody needing extra hands or possibly there needing more guards. He never really thought about becoming a soldier ,but if the pay is right what did he have to loose.

He smiled once again at the guard and said." Well I like to get an apprenticeship with Blacksmith or Weaponsmith,but i'm quite handy with axe and sword. If you know of somebody looking for help with any these it would be much appreciated."

Post by Guest »

"Ah with those talents you are in the right city my friend. You just might find someone who will put your talents to use at the Scandalous Seamonster," the guard said as he extended his hand to Doran.

"Who knows maybe you just might make Captain of the Guard," the young guard said with a wink.

Looking around and noticing that the line of people was beginning to get longer he wished the young dwarf luck and headed off to the next person to start the drill of welcoming them into the city.

Post by Guest »

Azilette rode slowly toward the great gates of Dort. It had been a long day and she was glad to have finally reached her destination. Taking a deep breath, she drew her cloak tight around her and slid off Peekin's back. He was tired and after a quick, inquisitive flick of his ear towards the gaurds by the gates, he hung his head once again and continued his slow plod.

Nearing the men in their formidable uniforms, Azilette rearranged her cloak uncomfortably. It was her first time travelling and she couldn't stand confrontation. Not Yet.

"Greetings" she said tentatively. "My name is Azilette Telurez and I am requesting entry to Dort". Her words sounded too formal, even for her and she shrugged inside her heavy clothes. She smiled weakly in an attempt to make up for being so cumbersome. Not a good way to start her 'new life' at any rate.

Post by Guest »

OOC: Welcome to Tazlure! Sorry for the delay..

IC:The younger of the two guards looked down at the half elf and smiled a welcome smile.
Taking his board in hand he started to write and stopped.

"Let's see is that one or two tee's in your name? Also young miss would you please tell us your intentions for wanting entry into our fair city."

Post by Guest »

Azile nodded slightly.

"Aye... two 'tees' and an 'e' at the latter end. At this point in my travels I have no formal purpose as such for my journey to Dort. I hope to stay for a little while and see what it is that makes others boast so about this Isle. If I find it accomodating... I may stay on longer. At any rate I'll be no trouble."

Azile smiled at the thought... she had never been a trouble maker.

"Oh and if you would be so kind, are there many places where I can improve my weapon skills?"

Post by Guest »

"Weapons training huh? Well I heard tell of a the Citywatch doing such but I am not exactly certain. You may want to get a room at the Drunken Duck first and check it out yourself."

"Welcome to our fair city and I hope you find everything you have come for."

Upon saying this he handed the young halfelf a paper that gave her entrance into the city.
Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Post by Maeve »

OOC: Thank you Cyren, for covering this thread for so long. This Gate thread is now claimed once again by the Modding Seminar. Welcome Ranhild!
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]

Post by Guest »

OOC: You are most welcome.. I had a great time. I hope you have a great time to Ranhild!!!
Ranhild Pheldroppe

Post by Ranhild Pheldroppe »

OOC: *slips inside on a horse made of mist and salutes* Hi Cyren and Maeve! I'll do my best! Dort, here I come!

Post by Guest »

"Looks like I'm home".Aurael walked up to the gates slowly trying to savour each moment as he came closer and closer to entering Dort.The gravel beneath his feet crunched softly and small clouds of dust covered his boots.He came up to the gates where he saw the two guards "before you ask my name's Aurael,can you let me pass now?"
Ranhild Pheldroppe

OOC: Sorry for the late reply. I was away on holiday :) Nothing like a breath of fresh mountain air and a friend used to walking *miles* each day to keep ideas flowing (and legs hurting).

IC:

"Whoa, young man! Not so fast!"

The older guard leant on his spear, the blunt wooden end burrying itself in the gravel road. He looked the Achadhiel over and narrowed his eyes slightly, slowly producing a roll of paper from behind his belt. He removed one sheet and placed it on a waist-high block of stone that stood just outside the gates.

"So Aurael you're called," the guard - who seemed to do everything painstakingly slowly - muttered, putting the name carefully down on the paper. "Welcome to Dort. Yet before I allow you inside, you have to state your business in our beautiful town."

Post by Guest »

"Tralalala. Tralala. Tralalalalala," Lamana twirled and froliced down the dirty and well-worn road. She passed an oxcart and a more aristocratic carriage among many other things. There it was. Dort proper. Just within sight. Lamana exchanged looks.

With the back-pack on...well...her back - she jumped up and down in complaisant frenzy. She wanted a hug and seized the arm of a common passerby. Flinging herself into his arms, she kissed him on the cheek and and waltzed away from him to her own amusement. Then Lamana hugged him as well. A smile toyed on her face and spun down and down and down. The entire distant to Dort proper she skipped and shimmied. She hummed and ran the final mile.

"Now, now. We must be nice to the sentries mustn't we?! Perhaps we'll meet him at a party somewhere," Lamana said. "Yes, he might. Treat him well, we shall. And the elf as well," she responded and moved next to the not-so-tall elf.

"Good day, gents. Will you be so kind and let us pass? We need a place to stay for the night and the back-pack is getting very,very heavy. Perhaps you might be inclined to carry it for us. It is sooooo heavy for a small, virginal outsider like ourselves," she said beggingly and put up her most Bambied look while she dumped the back-pack on the ground. Her aim was a bit off - after all the rucksack was very, very heavy - and she unfortunately hit the aged sentry in the leg.
Ranhild Pheldroppe

The elder soldier had just finished jotting Aurael's name down, when suddenly something heavy hit his foot. Surprised by the unforeseen impact, the sentry let out a wheeze and the quill dropped from his fingers.

"Watch it there! I don't want my old battle wound opening up!" he growled, ashamed for the one little gasp that escaped him. This particular soldier was proud of his lieutenancy and despised showing any sign of weakness in front of others - weakness of the body, that is. He cared little about his just-so-so literacy.

Actually, the sentry had half-a-mind to draw his sword and avenge this momentary stagger. His hand slipped to the hilt of his weapon, however, one glance at the newcomer caused him to change his mind.

"Er... Welcome to Dort, young lady," he mumbled, completely overwhelmed by the cheerful and rather curvy appearance of this "virginal outsider". In a few seconds, though, he was himself once again, level-headed and ready to perform the never changing duties of a gate guard (however, his eyes did keep returning to the traveller). "Before I let you pass, please state your name and what business you'll pursue in our lovely old town. Then we can think about a place where you could spend the night."[/hr]

Post by Guest »

"Where I might spend the night...?" Lamana mocked. She did not act to pick up her back-pack still lying heavily on the soldier. "How 'bout I stay with you, you strong muscular soldier!" She answered and beamed at him. Yes, she thought, that was a well-thought-out idea. A virginal outsider like herself did not have any money nor did she have a place to stay.

The elf had been quiet for a while now, and Lamana did not want to let an opportunity like this run through her hands. She seized the moment and pinched his bottom. The elf yelped, and Lamana could not help herself. She giggled and exchanged amused looks with the soldier.

"Now, now. Behave Lamana. Where were we? Yes, you were going to invite me to your place. And do pick up my bag. My more expensive clothes might get dirty," Lamana wanted to get things going again. She was in a hurry to unpack her stuff and the soldier just kept delaying everything. She wanted to see the inside of Dort as well. She wanted it so bad it even began to hurt in her abdomen. The girl had to lean forward and clutched her stomach in mere agony.

"Aaauuu," she sighed.

Return to “Dort Archive”