A Secret on the Mer (Samheen 20th, Morningtide) ~ Shaeliana

Moderators: Maeve, Mods

A Secret on the Mer (Samheen 20th, Morningtide) ~ Shaeliana

Post by Guest »

It had only been three weeks but for those on the Quest for the Crystal of Harmony, it was thirty. Against the winds of gods, dragons, and armies they journeyed deep in the Howling Mountains to the Crystal Caverns and it was there they found the prize. Even then the Prince-King Balthasar seemed as healthy as he always was, even after having been poisoned by his enemies.

Amidst the cavernous starfield of the Crystal Caverns where all wealth in Tazlure is a pile of rocks in comparison, the Prince-King and his trusted faithful passed the guardian of the caverns with the will of Dominicus. They were unseen and unheard. Taking the prize in his hand, the Prince-King all at once became powerful beyond his understanding. He fell, paralyzed from the weight of it all and the illness struck by poison consumed him once more.

The party took him from the mountains into the forests of the Western Kingdom and as he went the worst he became. Treatments were futile and although he was not dying, he was a weakened and withering man. Accompanied by his private guards and his friend and healer, they at last returned home, but the Prince-King demanded no fan fare. His arrival would be secret and his disease unknown.

The Mer de la Lune reflected moonlight from its dimpled plane. Sagging on the horizon was the scattered and failing lights of King's Court. The docks, dwarfed by the mountainous palace remained an icon of history and safety, but beyond its keep were the remains of a beaten civilization. Smoke still flurried from the west end and ruins fell scattered on the south end. Yesterday's war showed its blood-stained face to the tranquil sea below it.

The skies were clear for the first time in days, so stars trickled down the dome of dawn fading only at the onslaught of daybreak. Dim orangeness peaked on the horizon behind the city and the morning birds began their daily regiment of hunting and feasting.

Creaking steadily far away from the shore was one of King's Courts few Royal ships. Four decks high and fifty meters long, the ship was anchored safely behind a rock formation keeping it hidden from the shore's view. Balthasar had chosen this as his temporary home until he assessed the nature of the city and regained his health. He could not present himself in this weakened state, it would only cause a greater struggle for the throne.

In the Captain's Chamber, a huge oaken four-post bed was set up next to a hand-carved table lit with a lantern. A fireplace cast dwindling warmth into the cabin and dining table with ample seating was positioned by the windows overlooking the sea.

In the bed was the Prince-King Balthasar. His young face pale, but his goatee and blond hair were nicely trimmed and kept. Beside him was his healer, Shaeliana. He smiled at her and then looked behind her at his platinum armor hanging on the wall.

"Will you help me up? I must see Demetrion."
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

The days had been a confusion of contrasts, time speeding forward while their weary bodies had struggled to keep pace. And for all that, the healer felt as if it had been decades since she arrived in Kings Court, naive and full of dreams, years since she'd left the confines of the great city to travel with the prince. Certainly the simple young woman, full of wonder, had aged more than a few weeks. The journey into the cold mountains to lay claim to the treasure and been eerily easy, too easy. After the nightmare of the previous days, the young healer found it difficult to relax, impossible to trust that the worst was past. But they met no further madness, no raging beasts, not even the fabled dragon. Shaeliana was almost disappointed at that. Seeing a dragon would be... memorable, she had thought to herself with a soft sigh.

True to her fears, their good fortune didn't hold for as they gained the prize, the prince took a turn for the worse. The healer knew not what ailed him or how to cure him. Nothing she tried seemed to work. Almost, she could believe that the crystal itself sucked the life from the young man. Almost. The entourage pulled together as always to bring their sovereign home but they were unprepared for the devastation as they approached the ruins of what had once been a beautiful and mighty city.

Standing on the topdeck, wind whipping her hair around her face, she'd swallowed the lump of fear that formed in her middle as she saw the damage. If she allowed herself, unshielded her core, even at this distance the desolation of those within the walls was easy to read, difficult to close out. Inside the city, she would have to remain focused to maintain the barrier between her emotions and those around her. Failure could mean insanity. Being open to only the small group that accompanied the prince had been hard enough. Misery multiplied by hundreds would be intolerable.

To her favor and relief, the young prince had decided against taking up residence in the city and instead they stayed on the ship. There were moments that she longed for the unmoving steadiness of land, but only until she recalled the misery that filled the city. Some things only needed to be put in the proper perspective, she thought with a wry smile as she stood beside Balthasar. Nothing she did for the prince seemed to have any effect, but it didn't stop her from trying this and that, reminiscent of her granny working out one of her puzzles of sickness. Her latest experiment was a blend of herbs that was known to increase stamina and make the body strong. So far, she hadn't observed any real changes, but it was early yet and she was a hopeless optimist to the end.

As the prince smiled and gazed at his armor, Shaeliana's brow wrinkled into a small frown. "Surely it would serve best to bring Demetrion here, m'lord? Your body is still recovering, armor is heavy and the streets are still teaming with death and disease. It simply isn't safe and after all that's happened, we can't afford to loose you highness."

"Besides," she looked down at the young man, her lips curling up into an inviting smile, "I am sure he would appreciate an escape from the city stench, an opportunity to breath... well, somewhat cleaner air. So you'd be doing him a favor," she concluded as she tucked the sheet in around her charge as if the matter was settled even while she braced herself for his resistance. He was quite stubborn she'd come to realize over the days they traveled together.
[color=hotpink][i]The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

As if she said nothing at all, Balthasar sat up on his elbows. Wavering for a flicker he looked around the chamber planning the best route to his armor. Twirling into a sickening posture, he sat on the edge of the bed.

"The city is mine. All the unsavory relics are mine as well. I own the disease as much as I do the palace. The streets deserve to feel the weight of my feet, even if just for a fleeting moment.

"That is almost not the issue at hand, however. Demetrion cannot see me like this, at least . . . not at first. The Father Regent needs hope that his efforts were not in vain."

Already decided, he propped himself up with a bed post and stood. Despite the sickness in his face, he stood with relative ease.

"No. I will come to him as a hero returned. Either you help me with my armor and we meet with the Regent before dawn, or you watch with distant pity and I finally arrive at tomorrow's dawn."

His youthful smile returned, "It's your choice."

Sometimes it was unclear if Balthasar was the ruler of the Western Kingdom or a schoolboy who'd been given too many toys.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Stiffling a sigh, the young healer moved to help her leige as he wobbled out of bed, knowing that once his mind was made up, arguement would be futile.

"You aren't going to inspire much hope if you can't walk m'lord," she offered softly as she held out her arm to offer him support. "Perhaps I should call for your page to help buckle your armor while I hold you up?" she smiled warmly to soften the bitter truth of her words, then shook her head.

"I know you can't hide here forever highness but I fear for you safety, for your health. Should you catch something else in your weakened condition..." she trailed off, unwilling to continue the thought to its logical conclusion.

"Father Demetrion is a man of keen focus and devotion," she added remembering their time together in healing school. While he wasn't unkind, there was little room for anything other than the goal the priest had set before himself. His resolve and intensity seemed to rival even hers. He had offered to teach her to read, she recalled in the blur of thoughts and emotions. Checking her shield to make sure it was intact, she brought her thoughts back to the present.

"I am certain he is well able to handle things. Meanwhile, we are trying every remedy known to man or adhiel and eventually, we hope to reverse whatever this is that plagues you. The nation will not be helped if you kill yourself by pushing too hard too soon," she added as she helped him into the heavy cumbersome armour.

"You will at least take several strong trusted men with you? And return at once if you feel worse? It will serve nothing if you were to collapse. Or perhaps I should accompany you?"
[color=hotpink][i]The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Balthasar gratefully allowed Shaeliana to set up his armor. He nodded to her suggestion and called for a page, a young boy named Umberto who'd recently joined the ranks when they arrived at the city. He eagerly buckled the armor and retrieved his weapons without a word.

"If you were Demetrion, having run this city with no help and constant contest would you prefer to see your Prince return in a bed or dressed in armor? Don't worry yourself so much or you'll be the one using all remedies known to man or adhiel. What is it you'd recommend? Perhaps some lavender oils and valerian to calm the nerves?"

He laughed quietly at his poke at the healer. But then his face became placid.

"I should come clean," hesitating he continued after a beat, "it is not the poison that ails me. I only must learn how to handle the weight of the crystal. I accept your remedies because they stop the headaches and help the weakness, but I fear it is me alone that can give strength into my bones."

"I will not be long and would rather not have an entourage, if it is all the same."
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

The healer laughed at her liege's good natured poke at her. It was a good sign that he felt well enough to make a jest.

"Ahh, but as your healer it is my job to worry about you Balthasar," the healer replied good naturedly, then quieted as he confessed the nature of his most recent malady.

"That would explain why my cures don't appear to be working," she arched a brow seriously which she managed to hold a couple of flicker's before she broke into a smile.

"I am grateful then that I've been able to supplement your strength while you regain your footing and learn to deal with this.. thing," she added before she became thoughtful again.

"The power of the crystal must be great for you to risk so much to have it. But, at the same time, it draws those who already wish to take the kingdom from you. Can it bring peace to the land? Will it turn back orcs and even our own who would attack our cities?"
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

"You see, love, the crystal isn't about power at all."

The Prince was being very careless with his words without realising it. Perhaps one of Shaeliana's remedies loosened his lips a bit.

"The crystal puts me in the House of Dominicus. I can see what He sees and his arms and hands work through me. It is a gateway, you see?"

He sighed, "I bore you with details. After my meeting with Demetrion I promise you shall have wine and fresh meat and we can talk about anything you wish."
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

The import of his words froze the healer in her tracks. Not about power? Of course it was about power even if that power was a secret union with... a god. But that thought brought more questions. Balthasar was the avatar of Dominicus or at least that is what she'd been told. As god's chosen, he was already intimately in touch with the One. He talked to him as other men could not, knew the thoughts of the god, knew his ways.

Now, he was saying that the crystal let him read the god's thoughts. What did he mean that his hands were Dominicus' hands? Was he now indued with special powers? Or did that just mean he was more than ever subject to the One's will with less choice to follow his own way? Shaeliana's mind was swimming with the implications. However, his words signaled that now was not the time to discuss it. Her liege was set to go lend support to Demetrion. This would wait until later.

"You do not bore me with details m'lord," she replied as she helped the page fasten the final buckles of the armor. "And I shall look forward to hearing more... later," she nodded her head and smiled.

"Go now and give your Regent the benefit of your wisdom, m'lord," she motioned the page away and gave a slight curtsey.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

It was morningtide of the 20th before he returned. In the morning light the Mer was a silver plane, still waters reflecting only sparse summits of water. Nested behind sea-carved stones, the royal ship seemed almost completely motionless. The meager crew woke with dawn and began the daily duties of cleaning, rigging, and cooking.

Accompanied only by his page, Balthasar sat with good stature and in his armor on the rowboat as it approached the deck. With only a little help, he managed to board the ship and greet the crew. Retiring immediately into his chamber, the Page removed his armor.

His skin had grown into an olive-color and sweat matted his blonde hair. Collapsing on the bed he tossed a half-grin to Shaeliana.

"Demetrion sends his regards."
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

It had been difficult, not worrying about Balthasar while he was gone though she kept telling herself that he was a grown man and would be careful. Some would say he had the protection of the gods, however she'd seen how carefully Demetrion had watched over his chosen one, had watched him nearly die of poison given to him by someone at Dragon's Keep. If the god couldn't protect him there, what guarantee was there he could... or would protect him here.

So, a great flood of relief flooded over the young woman as caught sight of her king coming back in the small dingy that had taken him to the mainland. Slipping back down below decks, she waited for the sound of his arrival before going to his quarters to watch him collapse upon the bed.

"Does he now?" she replied to the greeting from Demetrion as she settled herself in a chair. "How was he holding up? Is the damage inside the walls as bad as it looks from the outside?" she blurted out before noticing his sweaty weariness.

"You should eat something highness," she added quietly. "You look exhausted. Did you sleep at all?" she rose and moved to a side table where an assortment of herbs and potients were set up. Measuring a small amount of brown fluid into a glass, she filled it up with water and handed it to Balthsar.

"Drink," she stated simply. "It will help renew your strength," she added as she moved back to her chair.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Balthasar sat uneasily on the bed and accepted the tincture. With only the slightest grimace he took the fluid into his mouth and allowed it to take the pungent journey into his stomach. Taking a moment to let the affects come, he sat quietly. Color slowly returned to his face and then he smiled gratefully at his healer.

"He has many challenges. There was a insurrection from the South. Count Drakedoder, in league with World's Mouth, lay siege to the city and war broke yesterday. I've never seen the place so beaten. Demetrion held the front and the threat was defeated, but there is a terrible amount of work to be done.

"I should never have left," he added quietly.

"I need to ask a favor of you. You are the only one that I can trust with this. You must be the bridge between myself and Demetrion until I've recovered. Will you do this for me?"
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

The healer sat back and let her liege talk. That was as important to his healing as any medicines she might provide. As she listened to his report of the city, she found herself thankful that she'd not been around though what she'd been through had hardly been any less dangerous. At the young kings self derision over leaving the city, she sat up.

"You did what you had to do Balthasar, nothing more or less. Had you been here there is no reason to believe things would have been any better. Different perhaps, but not necessarily better and Brie might have fallen. Certainly you wouldn't have the crystal. In fact, had you been here your enemies might have succeeded in killing you in which case things would be much worse. One can never second guess what might have been for it might have been much worse."

His intense plea for her to be his liason with Demetrion touched her heart and she nodded. "After all we've seen and experienced the past week, meeting with Demetrion for you will seem like a stroll through the garden, m'lord," she said with a chuckle.

"I am curious however, why you couldn't just have Demetrion brought here? Do you not trust the Regent highness? Or do you fear he might be followed by your enemies? Might I not also be followed?" Shae babbled on, one ominous thought leading to the next. "Or might the naysayers start rumours that Demetrion is not well and thus being visited by a healer. Rumours seem to have a life of their own," she mused softly, her voice trailing off.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

He said nothing to her comforting words, resigning only to a humble nod.

"It is too risky to bring Demetrion here. There could be spies in the palace and he could be followed. You aren't known by the court and your comings and goings would probably be ignored. We can encourage rumors of Demetrion's failing health, because that would keep the eyes away from me. Perhaps a wound from yesterday's battle?

"After you meet with him, I also ask that you tour the city and take an assessment. If possible, put your ear on the street and find out what is going on among the people."

He paused for a moment, gathering some strength, "Elevie has been kidnapped and I fear relations with Taquar are nearing a violent end. I am most interested on the state of the pagans in this city. For the sake of our own security, we may have to remove them. . . particularly those in alliance with Taquar."

"I only need a couple of days to get my wits and establish the true situation of the city and then I will announce my arrival."
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

"I suppose I make a convenient go-between, but I confess it is a role I am not comfortable with m'lord," she offered slowly, trying to control the dread of walking among all those emotions in the city. She wondered how long she could hold her shield up and knew that she would have to leave the city if she became unable to maintain it.

"Still, I'll do my best", she continued resolutely. "Gathering word might be easy enough if I offer my services at the healing center in the city. I would think that with all the injuries there should be a great need of healers.

"As for Demetrion, being a healer himself I think it might be more likely that folks will think of consultations than anything else. Plus the ill theory would only work if he walled himself off and stayed in his room, not something he has the freedom to do right now I'd wager," the young healer shook her head.

"He struck me as more driven when we were in school together," she added before turning her attention back to Balthasar.

"When did you want me to go into the city?" she asked while trying to calm her stomach.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

"You bring up a good point," he smiled, "now I remember why I decided to keep you. That and your charming personality."

He started to laugh at his joke but it came out as a cough. Taking a few flickers to settle his cough, he sat, bracing himself on the knee, face paling and then flushing as dizziness came and went.

"I'm sure you've been up all night. Rest and then go as soon as you are awake and able. Visit the Boulevard of Temples first, I'd like to see the state of the Basilicus and the pagan temples as well. It is probably a good place to feel the pulse of the people. Perhaps take a meeting with Demetrion and then report to me eveningtide.

"Will that do?"
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Chuckling at his comment about her charming personality, she shook her head, then frowned at his coughing and obvious minor distress.

"Charming am I?" she quipped back. "I wasn't aware you enjoyed being fed foul potions and poked and prodded m'lord. I'll have to see what else I can come up with," she grinned mischievously. " I'm also a bit bossy and say its time for you to sleep. You are the one that's been up all night," she stood to her feet.

"I had the sense to stay here and sleep," she waggled her eyebrows at him and smiled brightly, allowing her shield to lower momentarily in an effort to beam emotions of happiness and light at him. New at this, she wasn't sure how effective her efforts were, but only practice would give her the control she needed. Since the nightmare, she'd managed to do some research and found that empathy was well documented in the field of mentalists. It was still a mystery to her as to how she ended up with the 'talent', one she'd not trained for or pursued.

"I'll go into town as soon as I pack my healer's kit. It will give me a chance to replenish some herbs while I'm in town also. I assume that Demetrion knows you are going to send me as your... messenger?" she arched a brow at the more or less rhetorical question, requiring nothing more than a nod from her liege, before going on with other thoughts.

"The basilica and pagan temples it is then," she turned towards the door. "The pulse of the people and a meeting with Demetrion. And in the meantime, you'll promise to not overdo things here? It wouldn't do for you to have a relapse, Balthasar," she pleaded, keeping her voice soft but full of urgency as she turned back towards the young man.

"Do you need anything to help you sleep?" she asked, as she stood watching the prince-king, one hand on the door handle.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

"Enjoy it?" The banter continued, "I rather look forward to it. The more greasy and rank the tincture, the better."

He coughed again but was able to suppress it sooner on this round.

"I informed Demetrion that you will be our bridge. He is looking forward to meeting you again."

He laid back on the bed and sighed heavily, "I will rest, you have my word. I think you shall be surprised at my recovery in the next couple of days. Have faith and keep your spirits up."

Just as she asked if he needed anything to sleep his young eyes closed. Sleep took over instantly. The journey surely wore him down. Still clothed and on top of the covers, he had no intention on moving for a full tide.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

The healer grinned at Balthasar's comments and nodded.

"Wonderful, I shall remind you of those words next time you turn up your nose at one of my tinctures," the healer laughed, pleased to see her young king in such good spirits. Their journey had been hard and their return had brought them home to times nearly as hard. It hardly seemed fair that so much sorrow should take place over such a few span of days, but there wasn't time to mull over dark thoughts. Their energy was needed and hopefully for rebuilding. Shae would like to think they'd left the destruction phase of this behind them.

Nodding at his comments once again about meeting with Demetrion, she pushed aside the dread of going into the city. Within moments, her patient had fallen into much needed sleep. Taking a moment to throw a light coverlet over his sleeping form, she exited his room, closing the door quietly behind her and made her way to her cabin to put together the things she would take with her into Kings Court.

Deciding it best to travel light, she included more commonly used herbs to ease pain and cleanse wounds, slow bleeding, her needle and thread and a couple of rolls of linen bandages. If she ended up at the Church of the One's hospice, they would have everything she needed. These things were for anyone she found wandering the streets, though she wasn't sure why she expected to find them still in the streets now days after the attacks. Still, it was best to be prepared she told herself.

Finally, she sat on her bunk and settled herself, letting her thoughts sink to find that part of herself that some might call her center. It was from here that she controled the barrier around herself that kept emotions in and out - her emotions in and those of others, out! Testing her control, she slowly lowered the shield until she felt touches of the unease around her, then raised them again quickly. Satisfied that she was sufficiently in control, the young woman tidied herself, washed her face, changed into one of her green healer tabards and pulled unruley strands of hair back into poneytail that was tied with a leather thong.

Now all that was left was to find someone on the topdeck to take her to the mainland. Healer's bag in hand, she made her way up the narrow ladder-like steps and stepped into the daylight, squinting slightly as her eyes adjusted to the more intense light after the dimness of below.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

A palace guard named Ramsey was appointed to escort Shaeliana. He was too young to be in his position, but a great deal of strength and skill gave the Prince his trust. The reputation for being a lady's man preceded him and was probably assumed given his sun-kissed skin, black locks, and blue eyes. With the healer, though, he was perfectly professional. Helping her into the boat and with the light collection of belongings, he quietly rowed her to shore. Not taking his armor, but a rapier, it would not be clear he was a palace guard or even a warrior of any kind.

As they arrived discretely at the King's Court docks, he said, "I am charged to keep watch over you my lady, so I am at your service. Where shall we go first?"

Morning light was strong on the docks and distant creaking of nearby boats suggested that the fishing activities would resume as normal. Ambitious fisherman scattered the docks, but not in significant quantity. The palace on the terrace above reflected the sun with adhiel brilliance and in the distance the sturdy gothic structure of the Basilica Dominici resumed its familiar form.

The ravages of war could be spotted all over. Most seriously was the wall adjacent to the docks, to the south of the city. Almost completely blown apart and reduced to carnage-scattered rubble, this was certainly the source of battle. Beyond those walls to the west were the cracked and broken Vigilant Gates. Taller buildings had seen the whims of catapults and the skyline had the distinct absence of the Temple of the Mother.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

One eyebrow arched up momentarily at her escort's comment about being charged to watch over her. Watch over her from what, she wondered to herself as she nodded and smiled slightly.

"Thank you sir," she replied as she looked around. The structure of the city had been decimated. That much was easy to see but a city was more than walls. It was people; families, friends, and even co-workers. Without the people, the walls meant nothing and the healer suspected that the population of the city had fared no better than the walls, perhaps worse.

Sighing, she looked around, contemplating where she should go first. Her "mission" was to gather information for her king and to meet up with Demetrion. While the early morning might find the priest more available, there would be little for the two to say at this time. Balthasar had just left his meeting with the priest not that many marks ago and Shaeliana certainly had nothing to report herself.

The site of the basillica looming in the distance drew her attention, not because of any familiarity with it, but because the church's hospice was nearby. In truth, the girl had not been in Kings Court long enough to grow familiar with the landscape and layout before she had galavanted off with the king's party. Was it less than a month ago? The past few weeks had felt like yahren, so much had happened and the healer felt as if she had aged several yahren.

Uncertain just where she might find the most information, the need to know how the populace faired, how the One's healer center fared won out over other considerations.

"I think I'd like to visit the area around the basillica first," she announced suddenly to her young escort. "The hospice in particular," she added almost absent mindedly as her thoughts ran off in other tangents wondering about the few people she'd come to know in her short time in the city.

"Perhaps we could go by way of the Laughing King Tavern?" she mused, it being the last place she had stayed in the city. Of course, it was doubtful that she'd still find Catori there, if the elf was even still in the city and even less certain she'd find the young soldier she'd gone riding with. Ashamedly, she couldn't remember his name though it had only been weeks ago, weeks that felt like an eternity she consoled herself.

Life had certainly not been boring since arriving at the capital city, she thought with a wry smile as she followed her companion and watchman through the wreckage of the streets.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Ramsey lead the healer through the southern end of town. Relatively untouched by the battle it looked as it once did. It was not until they arrive at the mouth of the Avenue of Trade where it dove into the palace walls. The prior splendor of the avenue was a ghost. The Boulevard of Temples lay in terrific ruins, the temples of the Mother and Pan vague memories of what they once were. Skeletal structures teetered precariously over a blasted, torn and bloodstained courtyard. A crack in the earth stretched the entire length of the avenue ending at the collapsed Vigilant Gates. The trade stalls and marketplaces lay scattered, dismantled and burned. Those that walked the street were either wounded or were helping the wounded. There would be no trade today.

The Basilica Dominici alone seemed untouched. A splintered crack from the one in the avenue lead into the temple, but it was unaffected. Throngs of worshippers crowded the plot and the entire structure was converted into a hospice. A forest of cots littered the entire area with a handful of herbalists, priests, and healers patrolling hundreds of wounded or dying. Many of those helping hadn't seen sleep in many hours and some still wore the battle soil the prior day's events.

Ramsey stopped, somewhat stunned at the sight.

"I hadn't realized..." he muttered under his breath.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

What the healer saw didn't surprise her. She'd lived through a slightly smaller version of this at Brie. War was an ugly creature, one to be avoided at all costs if possible. The young woman wondered what had turned the world upside so that war faced them on every side. But at least she wasn't shocked by what she saw around her and thankfully, neither was she overwhelmed by despair and desperation as she had been at Brie. She laid a hand comfortingly on her escort's arm.

"Most of these will have minor injuries and if they had a home to return to, would be allowed to do so. Repairing the city structure will actually take longer and more effort than repairing most of the physical injuries," she said softly. "Still, even minor injuries can turn fatal if not cared for," she turned and looked at the young man appraisingly.

"You don't get faint at the sight of blood, do you?" she queried, half playfully, a smile on her face as she turned and began to look around for someone in charge. She hoped to find some of the doctors she trained with here, but anyone would do to volunteer her services and that of her assistant/escort.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Ramsey smiled at her jest.

"Not as such, my lady," he said.

As the two approached the Basilica, it was difficult to see who was in charge. The helpers scurried along the chapel floor bringing water to the wounded while priests muttered prayers as they passed. Shaeliana's skilled eye could only spot a handful of actual healers, providing tinctures, setting bones, and mixing salves. The majority of the healers were calling upon Dominicus to do the work in it only seemed to be helping in a few cases.

The most striking figure in the room was a tall and young man in crimson robes with a prominently scarred face. His goal seemed to be to pray at every cot and was indeed providing comfort to a great many people. Perhaps it was his robes, or presence, but of everyone in the chapel he seemed to the one commanding the most respect.

Other priests patrolled the Basilica, however, many of them worn with hours of work and sleeplessness, some still wearing expressions of horror from the day they'd witnessed, and others lost in their own prayers.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

With no clear notion of whom to ask, the healer did what she knew best. Handing her light cloak to her escort, she walked the room searching for those who had not been tended yet, binding their wounds, setting the occasional broken bone and trying to ease their fears as much as possible. Behind it all, she struggled to maintain her sheild, that force which protected her from them, from being overwhelmed by emotions. New and still inexperienced at keeping the sheilding up, much sooner than she hoped or anticipated, she felt herself growing weary, the suffering around her beginning to seep into her soul.

Frustrated and disheartened, she finished bandaging the wounds of a small child and stood with a sigh to face the young man sent to keep her safe, closing the bag that held her limited supply of bandages, herbs and her tools.

"I need to leave, Ramsey," she said softly, her voice a bit breathless and strained from the emotions creeping in on her. "Please, take me somewhere else. Someplace empty," she added simply. She needed to see Demetrion as the king had asked, but she had to pull herself together first.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Post by Maeve »

Some of the wounded quietly spoke to each other, about the events of the other day. Soft words about the miraclous way in which the Basilica was repaired upon the prayers of the congregation inside, led by a priest of the Malus called Bartholomew. He was said to still wander around and take care of the wounded. There had been a white robed lady with him, her long blond hair hidden under a scarf. She had spoken words of faith with all the wounded, and brought light where she went. Disturbingly though, the rumor held that she had brought the pagans among them to a seperate place, though they were not denied healing.

There were stories about how a fanatical group called the Grey Robes in fact had caused this battle inside the town, in an effort to drive out the pagans. Led by a man named Jaxis, they were now ruling the east of Kings Court in all but name. The Protective there were calling the area.

Ramsay, a bit pale around the nose, nodded and quickly took Shaeliana away from the scene. The healer could feel the lack of personal energy in the weariness of her limbs, and the emptiness of her mind. The place the soldier took her was behind the Basilica. A small garden, forgotten in all those momentous events, scented sweetily. It was on a slightly elevated place and in the distance on the one hand Shae could see the city walls, and on her other hand the palace loomed. In the distance emotions still pressed against her shields, but in her immediate surroundings there was blessed quietness.
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]

Return to “KC Archive”