Less Traveled By

Moderator: Mods

Lira

Post by Lira »

It went as planned, the boy falling to the floor, flung far away from Tab, Dun landing heavily half atop the slight boy's body. But Dun had been a step to slow, a breath too late. The knife missed its target because of his lunge. Instead of an instant death, it plunged deep into Tab's shoulder. Barely a shudder rocked the big man's body. He slept on, oblivious to pain and blood and barely-escaped death.

Mite lay limp and stunned for a long moment, then burst into squirming, writhing life. He struggled to escape, one hand reaching up, fingers bent into claws, to scratch and tear at Dun's eyes. One scratched a trail down his cheek. The other hand was trapped beneath Dun's leg. It won free in a moment, stabbing with a small knife at Dun's side with a wild fury and little skill.
Dun

Post by Dun »

Ignoring the pain, Dun focused on its source. After all, what pain could compare to the one his own dreams had just given him? Maybe just the loss of a loved one. Niccione, Etta and her children, and now Tab. One by one everyone was turning into a victim, all facing great danger, all just a moment away from dying. It was that what was hurting him.

Under the moonlight, next to the glitter of the blood-covered dagger, Dun and Mite kept on struggling. As his hate, fear and guilt raised with every breath, so did his fist, till his arm reached as far as it could, high above his head. As he closed his eyes so the tears could not escape, the fist fell towards Mite´s face with all the strength the weakened sleeper could gather.

Dun opened his eye, and once tear filled with hate fell from them. Grabbing Mite by the neck he placed him back on his feet, and with his hand around his wrist he started dragging him out of the house, out to the street
Last edited by Dun on Sat Mar 29, 2003 4:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Lira

Post by Lira »

As Dun's fist connected with the boy's face, he heard the crunch of cartilidge and a spray of warm blood darkened his fingers. Mite went still and complacent as Dun pushed him toward the street. His labored breathing took on a gurgling sound as the blood from his nose flowed unchecked. He began to cry, a soft, pathetic wailing.

Outside, the moonlight seemed brighter than Dun remembered it being earlier. The boy's crying took on a new note. It became weak, afraid, uncertain, and unmistakeably feminine. As Dun looked, the bleeding, sobbing face in front of him was no longer Mite's. Niccione - slight, sweet, gentle Niccione - looked up at him, her body cringing away from his grip on her wrist. "Dun?" She asked him. The knife she still held - the one Mite had jabbed into his side, causing barely more than a cut, caught the moonlight, silvery light reflecting from the spun spider web on its hilt.
Dun

Post by Dun »

Dun stopped instantly as he saw her face once more. His hand released hers as he took one step back, while the other fell to his side, spilling drops of blood on the floor.

"It´s a dream" - He repeated to himself - "It´s a dream, it has to be, this can´t be real, this can´t be her. This is a dream, this is a dream, this is a dream this is a dream!"

He dropped to his knees as the last words rushed down from his head to his mouth. Over his blood-covered hand fell tear after tear, he could no longer control himself.

"It was Mite" - He whispered to himself fro the ground - "It wasn´t her, it was Mite. Mite did it, yes he did, he stabbed Tab. I can smell it, like Nessa said, blood and dead, thats all. He wont mean it she said, no he won´t, no he won´t, but... But it isn´t he, its she! No, no, NO!! Its him! Its him! His blood! His blood in my hands, my hands, my hands. No, they are not, its not real, its not real"

He looked up to the girl as she stood before him, and yelled out

"Its not real!! I didn´t! He did! HE DID!! I... I... I wanna wake up... please... I wanna wake up."

And then he fell into silence
Lira

Post by Lira »

Niccione fell to her knees and looked up at him. Already, her pretty face was bruised and swollen, blood flowing past her lips and down her chin. "Why? I . . . helped you . . ." She cried like her heart was breaking, the knife she held clattering to the ground. "It hurts . . . I don't think I can heal myself."

Her hand reached out for his, slim fingers shaking with pain and fear. And then they stopped, jerking as she gasped, eyes widening as she slumped forward to fall against him. 'Nessa stood behind her, milky eyes staring into nothing. "Everything you love dies." She told him, sadly. "In the dark-dream you don't know. I do. Lies in the air, death in the earth. Pretty smiles filled with fangs." She pulled back her hand, and in it was the knife Niccione had dropped moments before, now stained with blood. "He didn't mean it. They never mean it. But I did. Wolf or sheep, prey or hunter. Death or life-in-lifelessness. She is he and he is she. He didn't mean it. I do." She bared her teeth in a tiny mock snarl and laughed, the sound empty and strangely sad. "Don't baa, little sheep. Please. You have to hunt. Wolves don't do well alone."

Slick red blood covered the knife to the hilt as 'Nessa dropped it. Like a shadow, the tiny girl disappeared into the night. Niccione slumped against him, the flow of blood from her nose slowing as the flood down her back raged. She looked up at him. "Why didn't you save me?" Her voice was small and despairing as her eyes closed.

Dun didn't wake up. The panicked breath in his lungs, the feel of blood on his fingers, the fading warmth of the body in his arms – it stayed horribly real. Niccione's face had relaxed into senselessness, peaceful in death as the last of her life ebbed. She might have been asleep, cuddled near him like a lover, except for the slowness of her breath, the stillness of her body.

The moonlight seemed to grow dimmer, perhaps as a herald of the day to come. Niccione's face became more difficult to see. And then it was gone. In its place was Mite's. The peace in Niccione's face was utterly lacking from the boy's. His expression was frozen in a grimace of fear and pain. As Dun watched, Mite died of a wound given by a mad child.
Dun

Post by Dun »

Dun could not speak, his eyes witnessed in mute astonishment as Niccione fell on his arms. He looked down upon her as she took her last breath, and the traces of her existance faded, leaving only a dead boy and nothing more, resting on his blood-covered hands. He looked up from the dead boy´s face, trying to find Nessa still standing there, but only a dagger was left of her prescence.

"This is... real" - He finally said to himself - "I can not wake up... now I know"

He held Mite´s body in his arms as he stood up under the faint rests of moonlight. A tear of blood ran down Dun´s face, falling on the lifeless kid in his arms. "Im sorry" - He whispered in his ear - "Im so sorry."

With the light of dawn by his side, he headed towards Etta´s door.
Lira

Post by Lira »

He found the door closed, the house dark and quiet. Soft sounds of deep slumber could be heard coming from the rooms in the back. The little dog lifted his head in the corner and gave him an appraising look, his brown eyes glittering in the darkness. After a moment he dropped his head, eyes shutting as he slept again, apparently having decided that dun was not a threat. The only light came from the moonlight through the windows.
Dun

Post by Dun »

Holding Mite´s body on one hand, he started knocking at the door as hard as he could. "Ma'am!" - He yelled once as he did - "Open up! Quick!" -He said, after the first few seconds of silence
Lira

Post by Lira »

It took a few moments, but eventually the door swung open. Etta stood there, thick body clad in a voluminous nightdress that had seen better days - many, many better days. She hugged her arms self-consciously to her chest and frowned as she opened the door, blinking sleepily. "What are you yell- Gods!" She gasped as her eye fell on Mite's body. "What evil happened here? Where is you're other friend?" She swung the door wide, peering into the night with fearful eyes. Quick, bring him inside!" She gestured behind her and swung around. "Allen! Here boy! Bring my herb kit from the cupboard!"
Dun

Post by Dun »

"We were attacked on our sleep!" - Dun quickly answered as he placed Mite on a table. As he quickly released the dead boy he turned to Etta with a look mixed with surprise and curiosity that seemed real, but Dun knew was just a cover

"I woke up and in the middle of the night and someone was about to stab my friend Tab! I jumped it, but it escaped. When I followed him outside, he had stabbed Mite here, who fell on my arms... That was just moments ago."

As he rushed back to the door he only stopped for a moment, placing his hand on the side of the door. "Lock once I leave" - He said, and the slammed the door shut as he exited the house, running as fast as he could back to were Tab was.
Lira

Post by Lira »

He heard the door rattle behind them as a wood plank was lowered across it - the low cost version of a lock. Nothing moved or threatened as he hurried back to Tab. Only the still quiet of the night. The same stillness Dun had noticed several times before. It seemed frequent, maybe even the norm in this place.

He found Tab where he had left him, blood leaking from his wound to pool on the floor beside his bed. The big man's face was peaceful and locked in sleep, oblivious to the world outside or the pain in his shoulder
Dun

Post by Dun »

Dun rushed to where his friend was, falling to his knees over the blood, next to the bed. Knowing he had been bleeding for a while now, he started to fear time had already ran out for his friend.

Desperate he grabbed Tab´s dagger and sliced off the blood-covered sleeve, opening the way to the wound, which he started fixing as best as he could

He had treated wounds before, so he knew what he was doing, but the fear that had taken too long was still there, whispering at him to give up, even when he wouldnt listen.
Lira

Post by Lira »

As the wound was revealed, Dun's began to see it more clearly - though it was difficult in the dim light. The blood flow had already slowed, and Tab's breathing remained deep and even. He was alive, and the wound itself seemed not-too-dire, though he was a bit pale from bloodloss.

Even during the pain Dun's doctoring must have caused, Tab didn't stir. The more Dun looked at him, the less his friend's slumber seemed natural. It was deep, the eyelids flickering in a constant state of dreaming, no emotion marring the blankness of Tab's face. But for the moving eyes, Tab might have been in some blank coma. There was no shifting of muscles, no twitching fingers, no snores.

OOC: I have done a skill award up to this point in your story. Your sheet has already been updated, and you were given the following skills:
Dun
Resolve - Basic +***
Conversation - Apprentice
Logical Analysis - Basic +***
Seduction/Woo - Apprentice
Debate - Apprentice
Leadership - +**

Tab -
Conversation - +***
Meditate - Basic
Resolve - Apprentice
Magister Bibendi - Basic
Seduction/Woo - +**

If you've questions, concerns, or feel I missed something feel free to PM me.
Inner Calm - Apprentice
Last edited by Lira on Fri Apr 11, 2003 8:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dun

Post by Dun »

(OOC: Ok, back to posting, sorry for being so late)

Dun´s fear started to grow now with great speed. He did a quick check, once again, making sure he hadnt missed anything, but since the answer was the same he beggan to get desperate. His friend just wasnt responding and he didnt knew why!

As desesperation started to take over his racional mind, Dun just started pounding at Tab´s chest, hoping, begging for him to react. He slapped his face once, and again with more strength, just to get some kind of reaction, but it seemed useless.

Dun knew this was not natural. Even if he had been away for a small while, the bloodloss could not have been that big, and Tab should have been awake of the pain from the start!

Suddenly, it came to him, the only posible explination he could make out, and without a second to waste he cleared the remaining blood with his hand, slightly opened the wound and carefully placing his mouth over the wound, started to suck out whatever he could and spitting it out next to him, knowing it would not be long before he found poison in the wound.

That had to be it.

(OOC: Thx for the skills! I got some real good ones! And now I have many aprentice level skills! yaaay! :D No complains over here Lira. But I do want to discuss something with you of another matter. Ill send you a PM as soon as I can)
Last edited by Dun on Thu Apr 17, 2003 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lira

Post by Lira »

The blood had a bitter, metallic taste that lingered in his mouth. It flowed more swiftly as he sucked, but there was no change in his friend. Tab slept on, eyelids flickering as he wandered through some dream he wouldn't - or maybe couldn't - wake from.

When he stopped, the bleeding dropped back off again, the Dun's makeshift doctoring holding up fairly well it seemed. A sharp sound outside alerted him to a new presence. The door swung open, bringing a bright flash of candlelight with it. Nessa stood there, looking down at him with her blank gaze. "It's always so dark. I thought you might be scared." She set the candle down, it's metallic base clinking on the floor. She stood again. "I forget, sometimes. It's always so dark for me. But some people like the light." She smiled. "Allen always liked sunny days." She shifted awkwardly and her face changed, became frightened. "Oh! Loose lips and ships that sink in blood seas!" She spun and disappeared again, the night swallowing her as quickly as it had before.

OOC: You deserve them all. Or rather Dun does. ;) And I replied to your PM.
Dun

Post by Dun »

Dun rose in surprise as the light grew in the room behind him. His hand, almost as if acting on instinct, lowered down the the handle of his sword, grasping nothing but air as he realized he had left the blade next to his own bed.

He turned around towards the door, his eyes making out with great effort at first, who it was that held the light. The shadows quickly vanished, leaving just little Nessa, standing by the opened door. As he saw her face, and as he listened to her voice, Dun found himself in a mix of fear and surprise as he realized he was wishing for the blade to be by his side, instead of thanking for its absence.

Suddenly the face of the girl filled up with fear of her own, which broke the one in Dun´s heart. His hand, finally able to let go of the air it held, reached out for her, but just a second later she was gone, running again back into the shadows. He took a step foward, ready to chase after her. A voice in his head begged him to do so and encouraged him to run into the shadow, but then, as the blood on his mouth ran down to his neck, he remebered his friend. Casting out the voice in his head he turned around and lifted Tab up.

As fast as he could he took him out of the room and out of the house towards Etta´s place, picking up the candle as he left.
Last edited by Dun on Tue Apr 22, 2003 4:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lira

Post by Lira »

Tab's large body was heavy in his arms as he stumbled toward Etta's door as quickly as he could. The door was shut, no sign of the child anywhere near. The candle in his hand was still warm as he knocked for entrance to Etta's home.

The door swung open a moment later, Etta looking out at him with an expression of strange confusion. "What?" After a moment it cleared, and she pushed the door wide to admit him.

Tab shifted in his arms, muttering something Dun couldn't understand. For a moment, Dun felt a strange lighteheadness. He closed his eyes. A moment later, when he opened them, Etta stood watching him. She gestured toward the table. "Lay him there." She pushed Mite's body gently to one side, wincing a bit and trying not to look at the dead boy.

'Nessa stood beside the table, sightless gaze fixed on the small window. For a moment, Dun couldn't remember if she'd been standing there when he first came in, then the though faded. The child hummed softly, the song vaguely familiar to Dun.

Etta shook her head as she looked at Tab. "He don't look hurt all that bad."
Dun

Post by Dun »

"I have done all I can" - Dun said to Etta as she herself inspected Tab´s condition - "Please see if you can do better than I did"

He placed the candle over the table as well and then, while catching his breath, without even looking at Nessa, he asked her - "Nice melody. What is it?" - trying his best to disguise the inquisitive curiosity that triggered the question in the first place. As he did he turned his eyes to the side, as to avoid looking upon Mite´s body , and by doing so he found himself looking out the window Nessa was sightlessly staring at. What could she posibly be thinking? - Whas the thought that inmediatly jumped into his mind.

(OOC: Great to see your back!)
Last edited by Dun on Sat May 03, 2003 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lira

Post by Lira »

Etta pursed her lips and cut away Tab's shirt, treating his wounds with herbs and bandages she pulled from a small, ancient looking box. She seemed to take no more notice of Dun, or of her child.

'Nessa tilted her head and smiled. "I don't know, you do. It's pretty though. Like wind in trees, or water over rocks. Something that makes sleep." As she spoke, Dun remembered where he had heard the tune. It was a lullabye his own mother had once sang, long before illness and death had claimed her.

'Nessa fell silent for a moment then spoke with a suddeness that startled him. "What does dark look like to those who can see the light." she turned her head toward him. "That's what I was thinking. You wanted to ask, I think. Questions are meant to be asked and answered, learning taken and shovelled down with water and sugar."
Dun

Post by Dun »

A funny idea poped up in Dun´s head as he heard with astonishment the little girl talk.

He walked over to the window, took a long look at the stars outside and then slowly closed it. After doing so he turned around to Nessa, and sat down on the floor right where he was standing, he placed his hands on the floor next to him and leaned back, trying to get more comfortable.

After a few seconds of what felt to him as a very disturbing silence, leaning back his head, he closed his eyes. From his lips the lyric of the song came out, low at first, growing along with his confidence as he went on, but always very softly and filled with passion for its meaning, just like his mother had taught him, just like she herself used to sing it.

He opened his eyes when he was done, feeling now both happy and sad at the same time, feeling the joy of what came to his mind, and the emptyness of knowing it was all nothing but a thought now, all in a perfect equilibrium. Treasured memories still reflected on his eyes with every word. It was then that for the very first time since he had left Criana, that he felt at absolute peace.

"You are right Nessa" - He said with a smile - "I am the one that knows this song, and yes, I was thinking that question inside my head. And the answer to yours is: Empty yet complete"

"Now tell me Nessa, how does dark look to you?"
Lira

Post by Lira »

Nessa frowned. "Dark is sharp corners and teeth that open and shut. It smells like yesterday and cooked turnips. I hate turnips." She shook her head, a pained expression crossing her pale face. "It used to smell like home, and I used to know where the sharp was. Now it's different." She shifted her face toward him, small body shuddering as she wrapped her arms around herself. "I understand I think. Complete and whole, content in the dark. I used to be too, because I didn't know anything else and I could hear good. But it's not now. You're not the first, you know. There was another – tall and loud with big hands that liked to push me out of the way. He couldn't help. He didn't see. Big eyes and life in the light, and he never saw me behind him." She smiled suddenly, and it was an almost eerie expression. "Sharp like teeth and knives like claws. Wolf girls in the dark."

Etta touched 'Nessa's arm, a strangely vacant expression on her face. "'Nessa girl, you should be in bed. What's you doin' up?"

'Nessa sighed, a broken sound of long-suffering. "Questions already asked and answered. Over and over, game over and beginning again." She turned and slid into a chair, laying her head in her arms on top of the table, only inches away from Tab's sleeping body. "Tired now."

Etta looked after her and then turned back to Dun. She looked confused for a moment. "What are you doin' here?" Her forehead creased in thought. "Is it morning already?" The night outside was still dark and she turned to the window, blinking. Suddenly an expression of near-terror crossed her face. "Oh! Go! You have to go. 'Nessa –" The girl lifted her head from the table and tilted her head toward her mother's voice. Etta fell silent, terror giving way to bemusement once again. "I don't know why you're up at this hour, young'in. You looks like ya need your sleep."
Dun

Post by Dun »

"Wait!" - Dun suddenly said. He stood up quickly and stayed with his back to the window as he faced both mother and daugther. His face showed off anger, confusion, and yes, even fear - "Nessa, whats happening?!"
Lira

Post by Lira »

Etta scowled. "I'll ask you not to yell at my child, umm . . . what was your name again? I can't seem to recall."

'Nessa didn't lift her head, leaving it on her arms once again, one of her fingers idly playing with a crease in Tab's pants. "No use. Tomorrow it'll be gone like passing rainstorms. And so will you. They all do. My fault, not my fault. They all so so." She sighed, the sound melodic and infinitely sad. "Big brothers know so little in the end. Knives in backs and dead that talk." She suddenly swiveled in the chair and faced him, sightless eyes seeming to almost see him. "Don't you see? None of this is anymore. Except me. Always except me. The lone wolf, teeth of blood that prowls the sharp. Aren't you afraid I'll bite, next-to-go?" She glanced at Tab. "Or maybe not next." She smiled faintly. "He was helping, I think. Trying to bring me light, and make them stop with the poking and the prodding and the angry wordwash. Big brother, protection gone wrong. It's like a story without end, or with only an end."
Dun

Post by Dun »

Dun just ignored Etta as she talked, he could not think about anything else besides Nessa. As the girl talked, he started to become desperate. Every word she said made less sense than the word before to him

"If a bite is what is needed for you to talk clear, for you to finally explain the dark to me, then go on, Im not afraid, but please, give sense and sanity to the nightmare this night has become"

Dun walked up to the table, passing besides Etta without even looking at her. He stood on the oposite end of the table and placed his hands over Nessa´s. Looking right to her eyes he kept on thinking, asking right to her mind

"What is IT Nessa?! What is this?! What is going on?! What about Tab?! What about Mite?!"

"Why?! Why?! Why them?! Why... her...?!"
Last edited by Dun on Sat May 10, 2003 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lira

Post by Lira »

'Nessa started backward at his touch, looking strangely startled. "Warm hands. Like Mama." She titled her head and hummed the song again for a moment. When she spoke, the eerie tone was gone from her voice, the otherworldly bent in her milky eyes dimmed. "I never did anything, but they didn't care. Mama said they needed to blame, and I was easy 'cause I was different. But I didn't MEAN to be. I saw things. I still do." She shook her head. "I can't help you. I'm sorry. He smiled nice. I could feel it when he smiled."

The moment passed, and 'Nessa became weird and unreadable again. She pulled away, sliding out from beneath his fingers as smoothly as drops of water. "Memories can speak where flesh can't, maybe. Too short, too long. Cold cold. Big brothers know best and mothers don't remember." She smiled and skittered away toward her and Allan's room.

Etta sat slowly in a chair, her eyes oddly glazed and distant. "I don't think . . . " her voice trailed off uncertainly.

Return to “On the Road Archive”