Change is never Easy

Moderator: Mods

Ashari
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

Post by Ashari »

Ja`Kama laughed uproariously. "Oh! That's great! The same thing happened to me. I was with my brother at the time though. It was a low boom and took me right in the stomach, knocked the wind out of me just as I flew through the air. I swear the water never felt so hard or so cold." A few more chortles fell from his mouth. "But, my brother pulled me out, and I was no worse for the wear," he said in finishing with another small laugh, his smile was still wide on his face. He had one of those faces that looked best with a smile, as if it absorbed all his other faults.

"We'd have to head back to the barrack's first. It's not for a while yet, otherwise the Golden Square would be full of people, because that's where it's goint to take place," he said. "I heard something about an escape though." His voice was hushed. "That maybe the prisoner got away..." One of his brows raised a bit, and then he grinned and broke the spell of seriousness. "But could just be gossip!"

Ja`Kama turned and started walking again, a confident swagger to his stride. "Let's get going then, eh?" He wasn't sure if Rymm was eager enough to ask about what he knew of the gossip, but if he wanted to know, he was going to have to ask, because it seemed as if Ja`Kama's lips were sealed.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]

Post by Guest »

OC: Sorry for the delay and short reply..Real Life stuff.

IC:
It was quite a bit to take in. Yet, Rymm made mental notes of everything. His mind would think back to the Bad Omen Inn. I think I may want to visit this place the next chance I get. Now, That Rymm was thinking of it, he found it unusual that Ja ‘Kama had possible insight to an escape. This really sparked Rymm’s interest.

“Say Ja ‘Kama I am curious about this escape you alluded to. How did you come by this information? Or is this hear-say that you are about to in-lighten me with. I am very interested in what you may know or heard. Please tell me what you have heard. Will this be a cause for action on our part (that is the guard) or will we just be watching? I certainly hope not. However, what ever the assignment would be, would be fine with Rymm.”

“So tell me what you know?”
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

OOC: It's ok, happens to everyone.

IC:

Ja`Kama grinned. His fellow had taken the bait and was eating up the gossip. Somehow, he knew the youth would. That made it all the better. "Well, you know about the riot last night... apparently one of the three who started the whole thing was supposed to be executed yesterday morning for treason against the crown." The guardsman crossed his arms over his chest and leaned against the wall that was nearest to him with a serious expression. "He escaped from the dungeon... which is amazing - no one has ever escaped before. There is talk of him having used magick."

"A magick using treasonist - escaped into the city - ready to strike again." One of his brows raised a bit. "A little scary, isn't it?" He pushed himself off of the wall. "A group of guardsman went this morning to find them." Ja`Kama. "Them being him and the woman who is with him. I'm not sure what her business is. However, they scoured the city and nothing was found. There are rumors he was staying with Yabal at Anurith's Golden Ram. No one has proved it yet though." The young guard began walking again, taking them back toward their destination.

"We might be called out to assist in a search of the poorer districts of town. If there was somewhere to escape to, that would be it. Another group has already begun looking around the perimiter looking for tracks in the sand. It would be the stupidest move ever for them to strike out into the sands during the daytime, just two people, moving along, but then again, he's a magick user... maybe he can make water or something." He shrugged. He obviously wasn't too adept at magick use. "Not that I know anything about it anyway. Give me a blade anyday, none of that wishy-washy spell casting crap."
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]

Post by Guest »

Rymm listened with great care. The story unfolded like a well read story from the mind of a criminal. Magic was something Rymm had heard about, but never had the distinct pleasure or displeasure to witness first hand. He had seen the occasional street slide of hand and misdirection expert or “Street Tricksters” as Rymm’s father would say. Rymm was sure in his current billet or soon to be billet, he would see some magic first hand.

Rymm, made his mind up that he would believe only half of what Ja’ Kama would repeat in his stories. To be honest, Rymm would most likely believe less, if he was not present to confirm the actual accounts for himself. Rymm did enjoy watching Ja’Kama tell his stories of encounters. Rymm thought he was very animated and had a good inflection in his voice. Ja’ Kama did make you feel as if you were right there during the actual event of actions, he describing for all to hear, or those who would listen.

The tour was going well at least according to Rymm. “Ja’ Kama what do you do when your not training? And giving tours Ha Ha Ha. If at all possible maybe we cold go to the docks and get some sailing in. I would like to keep my basic skills tuned at least. Perhaps we could learn a few things from each other. Any way just a thought.” Stated Rymm.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

OOC: My own apologies are in order. Sorry for how long this has taken.

IC:
"When I'm not training -- or touring?! Well, that cuts out a whole huge part of my life!" He laughed uproariously. It was a deep and hearty laugh, one that turned heads in bars and was contagious enough to bring a smile to the face of even the grimmest of listeners. Infact, as they walked, Rymm could see that a few people they passed were grinning as they looked at Ja`Kama.

"I don't really know what I do. I go to the taverns, the inns... I tell stories, I meet beautiful women. Oh... Rymm, let me tell you, you've not seen a real woman until you've seen them here in the city. We've got ladies who match the Amunic ideal -- dark hair, neverending eyes." He rubbed his stomach as if he'd had a good meal and looked at Rymm with a content eye.

"They have curves in everywhere they belong, legs that just seem to go on forever... oh man." He shook his head as if these were descriptions that there were no word for. "Silk, were it alive, would be envious of the softness of their skin. And not even the finest perfume can compare to their scent."

The young guardsman sighed. "They are the one thing that will drive me mad when I'm at sea. Maybe that's why I want so much of them now." He shrugged. "But yes, a bit of sailing does sound quite nice. Maybe tomorrow, after our morning training we'll have some time for it. The winds aren't great today."

"Ready to head back to the barracks? We should see if we've gotten drafted into finding that traitorous magick user!" He winked. "C'mon, it won't be that bad, plus you'll get to see the real Abu`Sahir..."

Post by Guest »

Rymm replied with a quick “Yes I am ready” as he caught the wink and smiled a little. This has evening has proven to be a very educational experience, one that Rymm welcomed. His pace sped up as they headed back to the barracks. Rymm believed that he has made a friend and friends are something Rymm holds close. He was rationalizing things in his head. The day has brought a few things to Rymm’s plate and he was feeling rather lucky at this time. He felt he was a good judge of character and was pleased he has made Ja ‘Kama acquaintance. A side from the stories Ja`Kama enjoyed telling his skills and silver tongue may prove to be a blessing in future endeavors.

Rymm spoke up, “Yes you are correct the winds are a little light for sailing besides I am not much for pleasure sailing at night. Sailing after training tomorrow may be a warranted release. That is provided we do not get side-tracked by the beautiful women you have made reference to. I would not mind have a bit of drink “. This was something that Rymm did not par-take-of very often but on occasion he enjoyed slamming a few.

The Thought of the evening was becoming intriguing and Rymm has caught his second wind and was not feeling the day as he had early in the day. All the new sites, sounds and people were keeping Rymm charged up. This close up and personal interaction was great.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"You sure you aren't too tired?" Ja`Kama laughed and started then turned down an alleyway behind a row of buildings. They passed by crates and empty barrels which littered their pathway, but never truely got in the way of the apt Amon Subhayan Soldier. There were scraps of other things as well, and also piles of sand collected in small mounds leaning against every surface. Ja`Kama left footprints in some of the little mountains, the distinct outline of his boot leaving a lasting impression only as long as it would take for the winds to kick up and push the grains aside.

The guardsman lead them around a corner and continued through the backways of the streets. He knew this place the way one did when they spent their childhood hiding in the nooks and hidey-holes. He knew it in a way that was nearly impossible to learn of on maps, it was only through experience. It would take Rymm some time to learn it.

"I'm not sure a country boy like you can handle this city life-style." He looked over his shoulder and winked at his compatriot. "But, if you can, then we ought to go to Yabal's. That's where the best women are..." His eyes turned back to the alley ahead of them, so he could watch his footing in the dangerous terrain.

They came around another corner and then were suddenly out in the avenue of trade once more, this time there would be nothing that Rymm would recognize immediately. Foreigner's Court bustled with activity as was common. "This is your last chance to back out... you sure?" Ja`Kama grinned, and his eyes sparkled with an enthusiasm that seemed to beg that Rymm not back out, even then, though, they were tempered with a blooming friendship that said Ja`Kama wouldn't be too disappointed were the young man to change his mind and not want to get a few drinks.

Post by Guest »

“HA! Tired is an understatement”, Shouted Rymm. Every muscle in Rymms’ body screamed with fatigue and ached from the adventures of the day. His eyes where pined with red looking roots that surround his pupils. His eyes were near the watering stage. Every step Rymm made felt like the string of a bow being pulled up and down his calves and hamstring muscles. His breathing was becoming a bit labored at best.

The additional effort of the sparring earlier this evening was begging to take hold of Rymms, body. It felt like he had been beaten by the inhabitants of a small village. Yet, Rymm refused to give in. Besides he figured a little drink may subdue the aches and pains he was feeling. Beside he was not about to let this evening come to and end just yet. He was sure what he is feeling now would be tripled my morning light. So if he was going to be sore. Rymm, decided he might as well enjoy all he can.

Rymm captured the wink of Ja’ Kamal,” Yabal’s sounds great. Lead the way my friend. I will be, but a arms length away. Rymm was looking forward to the drink but was just as intrigued to see these beautiful women Ja’ Kamal was earlier describing with such delight. Although after a few drinks everyone is picture perfect. So before Rymms’ vision becomes impaired even more with drink he planned take a good look…

Speaking of looking, Rymm was trying hard to take in all the recallable land marks. However he was not sure at all where he was or even where the barracks was located. This was a little uncomfortable for him. He always prided himself of giving and keeping directions. The city did offer its’ on rules of direction un-like that of the wooded and desert land. Rymm will have to keep better track of streets and buildings in the future. Like everything else a little practice and repetition anything can be learned. “SO Ja’ Kamal where is this place and how close are we??????? Lets go is that al fast you can go?” Shouted Rymm, all the while had a large wrinkling face forming grin that stretched from ear to the other.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"We're here, sprout. Calm down." Ja`Kama said and laughed. "Welcome, to the Golden Ram..." He looked up at the impressive building. Two stories high and quite wide, it was covered in a facade that belonged in the Citadel, not Amun Rah. It was ornate and red, with gold highlighting the exterior. Windows upstairs were closed with shutters, and a sign in the window said: Vacancy, and looked as if it had never been moved. Not many people seemed to stay at the Golden Ram, most just visited.

Inside it was dark, thanks to all the windows being sheltered, but not ominously dark as one would think as they stepped into the Bad Omen, no, this place was dark for ambiance. The lighting was candles, some in chandeliers that hung from the ceiling, others that rimmed the stage, casting light upon the dancers - and what dancers they were.

Rotating her hips and waving her hands outward, Scarlet danced like no woman that Rymm had ever seen. She wore red, and some thought that was where the name came from, that it was just what they called her on stage, and she had never corrected anyone on it. She was a beauty, that much was absolutely sure. Her long hair, woven with gold (real gold) sparkled in the candle light, and coins of varying sizes, hung off of her outfit, around her waist, at the hem of her bosom, they sparkled mesmorizingly at those who entered.

She danced for them all, but it felt as though she danced just for Rymm as her dark kohled eyes fell upon him, her wrists writhing as she moved to a beat which a drummer played, somewhere. She did not smile, she ate him with those eyes, sucked him into a void where just the two of them were, and there she danced just for him, her exposed midriff with it's tight muscles, turning and shifting as she spun and displayed the curve of her back.

"Hey.. man, let's grab a seat." Ja`Kama broke her spell, abruptly, and rudely, leaving Rymm to stand there as his friend started toward a table in the back, one of the few which was still open. The place was packed, and Yabal, the bartender, watched all of them to make sure his girls were safe.

A gentleman in a red vest came over to their table once they were seated. "Can I get you fellas a drink?" He asked, his shaved head just beginning to get some stubble. "And maybe some food as well? We've got an excellent stew this evening, fresh veggies from Mu-At, just in this morning, and sheep from right out back."

Post by Guest »

The words we’re here echoed in Rymms mind bouncing from one side to the other and felt as if it leaped right of his ear and in into the open air. Rymm let an inaudible sigh of relief out that rushed from his lungs and burst into the dry air, that hovered about the city. Rymm was certainly glad the he could stop for the moment and take a rest. The building was a sight to see, to say the least.

As they slipped inside to the darken din of the Golden Ram, Rymm was caught in what he called “A Spell Binding Sorceress Spell of Seduction” Later when the story would be told a slight smile would cross Rymms’ face. Magic or not it certainly captivated Rymms’ attention until it was broken by his new friend Ja Kama. The Gods above only new how long he would have stood there in the dancer seductive trance.

Rymm hears something about seat. “A seat would be great” stated Rymmas he turned and watched Ja Kam locate a place to sit. The mere thought of sitting brought again relief to the weary bones and acing muscles of his bruised and worn out body. A drink would be quite a delight at his point. As Rymm hastily sat at the spot Ja Kama found. Rymm looked up quickly to the fuzzy headed red coat wearing bar keep. “two drinks of your ale would suit us just find” said Rymm.

Then Rymm quickly checked his pockets to make sure he had coinage to cover his request for drinks. This would not be the time to appear cheap. “With all the help you given, I figured this was the least I could do. This is just a small token of my appreciation and my way to say thanks, for your efforts in showing me around this evening. Stated Rymm as he turned to catch yet another glance of the dancer and then quickly returned his focus to Ja Kama.

As Rymm was getting comfortable and finding he was very glad he had this moment to rest. Rymm looked over to Ja” Kama “well it sure feels good to sit and rest. I feel I have done nothing but run full speed all day.
My moaning muscles and aching bones are very thankful for this idle time. The rest will do me good." Rymm began to think the rest will certainly come in handy, for the re was no telling how much sleep he will get this evening.
Last edited by Guest on Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"Rymm, you're a pal!" Ja`Kama announced slapping his friend on the shoulder. "Thanks." He nodded to their server who asked again about food, which Ja`Kama shook his head to, and then their waiter moved away to meet another table's guests before he put in the order for their two meads.

"There are great drinks to be had here at Anurith's Golden Ram. You need to know it as it's many names, if someone asks you, or if you are about and someone needs help here. Though, I'll say for Yabal, the owner, he usually takes care of his own quite well, and hardly ever needs assistance. No one really tries to steal from him, and I think if they did, he'd be sure to take care of it right as any other, and they wouldn't make the mistake again."

Ja`Kama said thank-you to the waiter when he returned with the honeyed mead. It was sweet with a barly undertone and nice and cool. The container it was kept in was somehow kept cold even in this envirnment. How he did it, Yabal never told, he didn't want his methods used other places. "So, like I was saying; people call it Anurith's, The Ram, the Golden Ram.. Anurith's Golden Ram." He paused. "Hmm. Sometimes people call it Yabal's, since he's the one who owns it now. People not from town call it: 'The Tavern', since any respectable person will be coming in here, and not the Bad Omen."

The guard noticed as Rymm looked over at the dancer. "You can look but can never touch. Yabal's rules. They sure are spectacular though." He sighed. "And Scarlet there, the most beautiful of them all, I swear it. She's a creature of some land other than Tazlure. A land of dreams."

Post by Guest »

”I am sure that policy has kept trouble to a minimum here at The Ram. You were right on the mark, when you stated the women are beautiful. “Rymms eyes’ diverted yet again to the dancer before returning his focus back to Ja ‘Kama. Rymm reached down and grasp his cool to the touch container of mead. He lifted it to his lips and took a long slow drink.

The thick mead slid across his lips and into his parched mouth. Rymm let the thick cool liquid fill every crevasse of his taste buds and savored the flavor. As he sat the container of mead back on the table, he said with a grin “I will most likely regret this in the morning. It is times like these you recall when times are not so good”. Rymm was settling into this environment just fine.

“Well my good friend this little break is welcome beyond your belief. This has been a very long day. From what you have disclosed during are short adventure into the city. We may very well have an interesting evening to match the day” In short even though Rymm was exhausted, he was looking forward to the upcoming tour of duty this evening would bring.

Once again Rymm caught himself watching Scarlet. Her motion was graceful and softly Dilbert. The world seemed to stand still for her, as she worked her magic of dancing before the patrons of the Ram. A small voice entered Rymms mind. Not all that you see and hear is what it seems.

Rymm moved his head from side to side and snapped back from his mental vacation. Not sure how long he was dazed he looked over to Ja’Kama. “So how long can we stay? Would there be time for another round of mead?” He hope it was only a short spell and waited for a reply. Perhaps the mead wasa stronger than he originally thought.f
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"Ah, you shouldn't be too bad off, it's just one mead." Ja`Kama insisted. Being a fairly seasoned drinker, he knew his limits, and knew that a single mead wouldn't do a single thing to change his temperment or his dispodition tomorrow mornigtide.

Pleasant chatter was exchanged between customers and the serving boys, as well as just between the clientel itself. However, the guards were quiet as they watched Scarlet on her stage. The sequins of gold on her costume catching the light and then throwing it around, sometimes directly into the eyes, leaving a yellow haze on one's vision, making for the redclad young woman to appear to almost glow with little orbs about her.

"Hmm? Another mead? I don't think we ought to test your limits just yet, friend. Maybe when we know we have a day off we could do just that." He smiled and stretched his legs before standing. "We ought to head back, thanks for the drink." Ja`Kama waved toward one of the vested waiters and handed him a small bit of coins. "For Scarlet, please. I don't want to wrestle my way to the front just to toss her the few banner I can spare."

"She'll 'preciate it." Their server replied. "Have a good evening, gentleman." He bowed to them each.

"If you come enough, they'll start to recognize you. If you pay them well, they will remember, and you'll be all set as soon as you walk through the door." Ja`Kama said as he stood and pushed in his chair. He motioned toward the door and started toward it with gentle strides, mindful of other patrons.

The guard quickly lead them back to the guard barracks. "We should head right in." He said, and his pace was brisk and mant to move him with speed. They entered the main hall. "I'm going to change before we go to the execution. Want to look my best, just incase the Rafao sees me." He grinned. "Never know when it pays to look good. Or maybe I'll see one of the dancers..." He let his mind wander a moment. "I'll meet you back here in a bit?"

Post by Guest »

“Alright, see you back here” shouted Rymm, as he was turning to head to the room that was assigned to him earlier in the evening. There was urgency to Rymms’ stride, even though it was apparent, none existed. He found his assigned room with easy. Rymm scanned the room from one side to the other. He then looked to see if his belongs had been stowed in the room.

With some degree of delight, he saw that his bag had indeed been brought to his new domicile. Rymm moved to the racks and sat on the edge. He placed both feet shoulder with apart and flat on the deck. He then placed his left hand on his left upper knee and the right hand to his right knee. Rymm straighten out his back and sat here very erect. He began to take long slow deep breaths. After three deliberate long breathes he closed his eyes.

Rymm continued with his slow regimented breathing. He sat there not moving, just breathing in and out. This was an exercise his father had taught him. It enabled an individual to relax and rejuvenate ones body in a short amount of time. Rymm had utilized this technique once this day already, a second time was generally not recommended.

Rymm made a decision to push his body and mind to the limits. His resolve was I am after all, in training to be a guardsman. The rest and strength from this short period of relaxation may prove to be well worth the effort. The evening was unknown and Rymm wanted to take every advantage he could. Rymm wanted to be prepared for the evening event. In his subconscious’s he really wanted to prove his worth as a future guardsman.

Rymm opened one eye. Then he opened his other eye. He took a very deep breath, exhaled slowly and stood up. He felt refreshed and alert. He could not really spruce up much since things were still stuffed in his bag. He wondered when new guardsmen uniforms would be issued. “There is time for this another time” thought Rymm. He made a few adjustments, cleaned as best he could and dashed out of the room and back to the front to meet his new comrade.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Though not particularly skilled in meditation, Rymm did find a sense of calm fall over him as he took his deep breaths. Each one brought in a bit more strength and washed away some of the pain from the earlier fighting match and the exhaustion from the travelling and jaunt around the city. It had been an extremely long day already, but it would be one of many that seemed too full in the coming weeks. The hub of Amun Rah had a way of making everything seem so much bigger and so much more alive.

Atleast unlike some new visitors to the Isle, he hadn't walked in in the middle of the Gravetide Market and the riots. Now that would've changed his view on the city a great deal. Instead, he had made it to the Barracks.

The trip with Ja`Kama from the main hall was brief. A few other men had joined them, all in their plainclothes. They weren't out for work they were out for the evening's spectacle. There were not many public executions in Amun Rah - especially ones that the Rafao himself over-saw.

They made their way through the streets amid the crowds and managed to get to the Golden Square. Lined with golden statues of previous Rafaos and other of power, it is a shrine that can easily hold a thousand influencial and important men and women, and it was them who stayed within the Golden Square. Everyone else crowded around outside it, and Ja`Kama got them right up next to one of the statues which he leaned upon.

An executioners block had been set up on a higher diocese. A man wearing entirely black and carrying an axe watched the crowd. He had a wicked scar winding up one of his eyes, and almost as soon as the guardsman had arrived he pulled his hood over hiding his face. The accused sat on a chair - bound at the hands and feet - and curiously mouth as well. His eyes were closed, but he listened to the growing crowd.

The Rafao himself stood off to the side in his white finery and carrying his scepter. It was a sign of his office and rarely left his hands.

Tension hung in the air with nearly palpable consistancy. "Can you see alright?" Ja`Kama asked.

Post by Guest »

ooc: so sorry for the dely's a bit of health issues. hospital not fun. will try to speed up my reply, sorry agai for short response:

IC:
“They view is fine” as Rymm nodded his head as he replied to Ja ‘Kamal question. Although Rymm was not sure he wanted a good view of what was about to transpire. As he was pondering the upcoming event, Rymm was trying very hard to get accustom to these new sights and new experiences. As a future guardsman Rymm would have develop a harden demeanor and a strong stomach for the less than desirable sites and smells he would encounter.

Rymm watching the crowd grow exponentially. He was amazed how they packed in to witness what seemed to be the event of the century. Rymm kept a close eye on his friend as well. He did not want to get separate in this growing mass of wall-to wall human and alike mass. Rymm really was not sure what to expect. But it al would be over soon enough or just beginning.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

OOC: Sorry about your health issues, mate. Good to see you are back, however. I'm just returning myself after some computer problems.

IC:

"I'm not sure I've the stomach for it, personally." Ja`Kama said. "I've always been more of a lover than a fighter," he said and winked at his companion. "The thing is... I go to the arena.. Oh! We've got to take a trip to the arena on our next day off, to see one of the fights. Now that's an amazing tour." He paused and grinned. "Sorry, just came to me, anyway, I go to the fights, and men die. I've seen duels, by the nether, I've been in duels, but.. there you've got a fighting chance of survival."

He looked up at the raised platform and the executioner. "Here, it's just.. shink! -Dead." He made the noise particularly well, and pulled his thumb across his throat as he did so, to seal the point. "I mean, I dunno. It almost seems worse somehow."
Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Post by Maeve »

OOC: I propose a mod wraps this up upon the players return and until now archives this thread :)
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]

Return to “Amun Rah Archive”