Walk About -- Murat

Moderator: Mods

Ashari
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

Walk About -- Murat

Post by Ashari »

Maharrem was in wonder at the arrival of the Rafao. "Aren't you glad we didn't leave?!?" He said excitedly to Murat. Then, however, as the action subsided he conceded that it was probably time to go. "I guess you're right. But, Ionis declared tomorrow as a holiday, so, I guess we can only go to that appointment, but can't work. That's great!" He laughed. "Still, sleep sounds really good about now. Oh! And I have so much to tell you about what the cult members said!" He was exuberant if nothing else.

Murat Dorovar wrote:"Why don't you tell me all about it on our way to a healer, Mar." The half giant pointed to his calf, showing him the wound he sustained during the fight. "I would like to have this taken care of, before we turn in for the night."

"Oh.. oh!" Maharrem looked down at Murat's wound. "Lookit the blood..." He was transfixed by it for a flicker. "We should go to the Simbahan then, there are healers there. Though, I bet there is going to be a huge line." He stared about at the injured people who were still in the street." Licking his lips he considered. "Maybe the orphanage, they have some nurses there, but I doubt people would think of going there."

The youth cleared his throat. "Though, I won't be able to go in with you... I'm sure you understand. I can wait around the corner."
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]

Post by Guest »

Murat couldn't help but grin at Maharrem's reaction to the blood, even despite the wound was still stinging and the blood was starting to dry on his calf. The half giant nodded to the young man and stated dryly. "That will be fine, Mar, let us get there as soon as we can then, as I prefer to have this cleaned up as swiftly as possible. The orphanage will be good enough for now, to get it cleaned and dressed. We can still drop by the healers tomorrow, after the interview, unless you can get us to Simbahan, before this crowd gets there?"

Murat pondered for a bit, letting his thoughts wander for a bit, thinking of the guard that landed so unfortunately on the business end of his fellow guardsman's sword. Simbahan would most likely be where they have taken him. He turned to the young man and took hold of his shoulder. "Wounded guards, are they taken to Simbahan as well?"
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"Alright, we better get going then." Maharrem said as he started walking down the cobbled road. "The nurses will be able to help you, for sure. They helped me out of a few scraps, some of them were trained at the Simbahan, so they are really good." He nodded and kept walking down the road. "I don't think we'll be able to beat the rush to the Simbahan, so the orphanage is the best place for us to get to, I think."

The wind was picking up around the two of them as they walked through the streets. Maharrem knew the roads as well as the back of his hand. "To the Simbahan? No, I think they would be taken to the barracks. I don't know why they would take them to the temple. I'm pretty sure that the barracks has it's own healers. Why do you want to know?" He asked him, a curious glow in his eyes.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]

Post by Guest »

Murat followed the young man to the best of his ability, praising himself fortunate that his legs were quite a bit longer then those of Maharrem, so he needed to make less paces. During their walk to the orphanage, the half giant told him what had happened to the guardsman, who so unfortunately got impaled on the blade of his fellow guardsman. If Mar was listening closely, he might have picked up on the fact that this seemed to bother Murat, who had tried his best not to get anyone hurt badly.

"How far is it to that orphanage, Mar?" The half giant asked as he was done explaining. Then he added a second question. "And how did that talk of yours go with the dragonworshippers? Did they give you any trouble?"
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Maharrem listened intently to the halfgiant's story about what had happened during the fighting. He had missed most of it thanks to his meeting. He was more than a little upset at that. The youth would've loved getting a chance to display his own battle techniques. Though, as he absorbed Murat's tale he realized the valor that he displayed by not killing when he could have. In fact, he figured it was actually more brave for him to chose to continually defend himself rather than to offensively attack the foolish guards. Maharrem looked at his companion in a new light.

The bit about the unfornate stabbing of the guardsman made the young man pale a bit. It was a total accident amongst so many purposeful killings. It seemed to stand out, in a way, thanks to it being accidental. "If he makes it through the night you could probably see him in the morning, on the way over to the estate we'll stop in. It's not really on the way, but it isn't too far out of our path."

"The orphanage is right there." He pointed down a back street to a large building that looked rather run down. "It doesn't look like much, but the nurses are good." Looking down at Murat's wound he grimaced. "Maybe you should get over there, and I'll tell you about my night after." His bright eyes turned upwards and met the half-giant's gaze. "I'll wait right here."

It was an uneven path leading toward the somewhat dilapidated building. Stones were out of place in the cobbles and the fence that ran along the road was in disrepair. Made of wood and with a slate roof which was missing many tiles, it seemed to have stood in the same spot for ages. Several chimney stacks were seen over the peaked roof, and the foundation was made of rolled river stones. They appeared to be the most solid bit of the structure. A large arched door, plenty large for Murat to go through without need of ducking, was open. A yellow glowing came from within and spilled out onto the poor path.

Post by Guest »

Murat looked at the opening, then glanced along the structure itself and shook his head. "From the looks of it, the place has truely seen better times, Mar. I'll see you when I get out." He patted the young man on the shoulder and began to move towards the opening. Once in front of the arched door, he stopped for a few flickers, to let his eyes adjust to the light, then went forwards again. Slowly but gradually he walked into the building, while looking around himself for signs of life.

(OOC: As I have no clue what I am walking into and what i'll find, the post remained short.)
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

((ooc: Sorry about that.))

All was quiet inside foyer to the orphanage. It was long past the bedtime of any of the children who were to be staying there, and the women who tended them had gone to sleep as well. The area that Murat came into was a small greeting room with a desk covered in a good many papers. Had he taken the time to look over them he would see children's names, ages, and aptitudes noted. They were numbered, there were pages upon pages with dates. This was the majority of their records. Other numbers were written in a practiced hand as well, but these were prices.

The light source that had taken the half-giant a moment to get used to was sitting on this desk as well, it was a lantern, and aside from it, there were only a few candle sconces on the walls, leading down the main hallway to use for lumination. The walls themselves were once papered with a simple reed design, but now it was torn and ripped leaving wide areas of the mud plaster and wood exposed.

A creak on a floorboard behind Murat cut through the silence. If he decided to turn and look he would see a very large eyed little girl, maybe nine or ten yahren old, with short black hair reaching down to her ears in a rather boyish fashion. Infact, were it not for the fact that she was wearing a little dress, she could've passed for a boy. Immediately she would raise a finger to her lips. "Shh..." Before she took another step with her bare feet. Her other hand was carrying two small sandals. The youngster was heading for the door.

If he didn't turn around, then there was the hallway, of course, but aside from that and the desk there was little on the way of furnishings in the room. A small couch pushed against a wall, with a few other chairs for waiting (customers?) would-be adoptive parents.

Post by Guest »

At the sound of the creaking floorboard, Murat did turn around and looked at the young girl, he crouched down and gestured her closer. He lowered his voice and spoke in a barely audible whisper. "Now then little one, if you point me to the room the nurses sleep in, i'll make sure you can get out of here, in one way or another." He went on describing what Mar looked like and where she'd probably find him. "Point me to the room and then go seek the boy. Tell him I sent you and stay with him until I join the both of you." The tone of his voice had been serious, but friendly and left no question that he meant what he said. "Deal?" he reached out his hand towards the little girl and smiled.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Hesitantly the young girl moved forward, not making a sound. As the half-giant spoke of Maha, there was a spark of recognition in her little face. Her huge brown eyes looked up at Murat bravely meeting his before she took the hand she had used to silence him to point down the hallway. She didn't say anything, instead held up her hand and pointed toward the right, and then three fingers. Her tiny hand, even smaller than that of Maharrem, was lost in his, she grabbed onto his pointer finger and shook that.

She then started creeping toward the door.

"Alevi."

The girl froze. It wasn't a harsh voice, it was a woman, and she was small and wearing a simple white sarong. "Fatima..." She reluctantly turned around. "I FOUND THIS GUY IN HERE!" She immediately pointed to Murat. "I think he was going to steal me away!" Alevi looked at the woman who just shook her head. "I'll go back to my room." As she walked past Murat she glared at him.

The small woman now looked at the half-giant. "Desert kin, what are you doing here in the orphanage?" She was almost sickly thin and her hair was dried out. Her sunkin in eyes looked at Murat questioningly.

Post by Guest »

Murat glanced at the woman the little girl had named Fatima. He took in her features and quite seriously came out with the truth. "I am in need of a healer to treat the cut on my calf. After the fight on the gravetide market, I assume that the Simbahan will be quite busy. Can you help me?" The half giant glanced at the little girl behind him. "What will become of her?" He asked with interest.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"In the market?" she asked with concern tinging her absent tone. Skeptically she picked up the lanter from the desk and looked at Murat's leg. "Indeed, you have quite the injury. Come this way." She motioned. "Can you walk alright?" Her little legs took quick strides down the hallway, and as Alevi had said, three doors down the hall she took a right. "Helena." Fatima said as she walked in.

"An injured half-giant has come to us."

An old woman... a very old woman, with nearly translucent skin through which her blue veins were easily seen, looked up at Murat with clearing eyes hazed over with cloudiness many attributed to a nead to join the heavens. "Bring him." Her voice was gravelly.

The room itself was brightly lit, and well maintained, in a way. The walls had been covered with tapestries of bright colors, and the sofa the hag sat upon was perfectly beautiful. A table of fine wood sat before her and she was eating fruits and cheese from a silvered platter. Her clothes, a sarong and shoulder wrap, were made of fine silk, perhaps from Pan's Isle, or maybe from the distant Eastern Empire. "Blade."

"Yes, Helena."

"Clean it, stitch it, away with you." She lifted her hands and waved them a bit toward the door before she snapped her fingers. "Get me Alevi." She said to another girl who was a mirrored waif to Fatima.

"Come on, to one of the other rooms." Fatima bowed to Helena before stepping out the door with Murat in tow. "Here, right in here." She pointed across the hall and used the lantern flame to light a candle to illuminate the space better. The room smelled stale, like old linens, and upon closer inspection, it was mostly filled with bedlinings. A single bed was pushed against the wall. "Please, sit down." She closed the door behind her. "Alevi will be punished for trying to escape." Fatima said in response to his earlier question. "This isn't the first time she's tried. We've lost many recently, with the new... operation rules."

The thin woman pulled out some bandaging and alcohol as well as a needle and thread. "Do you have a high tolerance for pain?" She asked him as she kneeled down on the floor to examine his wound closer. The sarong exposed her shoulders, and he could see the bones in them, like angel's wings ready to pull from her back. "Because this will hurt."

Post by Guest »

Murat nodded silently to Fatima's first question, although it took him more effort then he cared to admit. Breathing deeply, he followed the woman into the room the little girl had pointed out earlier. Bright child, she knew exactly what I meant. He stayed silent as Fatima spoke to the old woman, but the room was fairly richly decorated in comparison to what he had seen outside the room. As the conversation was done, he again followed Fatima to what seemed to be the linnenroom.

The half giant sat at her request and listened to her words, then raised a brow. "Tell me a little more about these operation rules and the one who makes them. From the looks of it, Alevi doesn't seem to be too happy here, otherwise she would not risk trying to get away. I think I met one of your old residents, who led me here and he wouldn't even come inside with me if I had offered to pay him to. What is making these children trying to run off?" He kept a close eye on her reaction to his words, interested in what she had to say.

Calmly Murat answered her last question. "I can tolerate it reasonably well, but that is due to training. Pain is in the body, the mind controls it." He gently placed a hand on her shoulder and looked straight at her face. "You yourself do not look to be in a very good shape either, Fatima. You could use an amount of flesh on those bones. "How about you tell me of this place, while you dress the wound?"
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"Well..." She looked over her shoulder almost out of routine, and her voice hushed even more-so. "The orphanage used to be run by the Rafao, rather, by one of his many staff members, but it was ultimately overseen by the Chosen of the Gods, and things were different then. I was here, then, when I was a child. My path was to go to the Simbahan once I reached maturity, to become an acolyte, such as the great Priestess Nadia had done." There was a wistfullness to her voice.

Swallowing back the emotion she continued. "But, a woman bought it, Helena... she was important somehow, this was several yahren ago now... maybe ten, before our current Rafao's reign. I was young, maybe Alevi's age, so it's hazy." She shrugged and he could see the movement of her bones as they shifted.

When he placed his hand on her shoulder she shifted dramatically and wound out from under his touch. "Please, don't," she said. "I'm fine. It's the children I worry about." She sighed and unrolled the bandage while dipping the needle in a small bowl of alcohol. "It used to be, certain children would be sold into slavery: the ones who would get jobs that weren't just labour... now, it doesn't matter. To Helena, each is for profit. None are brought to homes anymore, unless someone comes in claiming they want a slave and instead treat them like their child." She dipped the first roll in alcohol and started cleaning the wound.

As she cleaned she continued. "All the money used to go back into the orphanage. Not to say that one child is better than another, but if one needed to be sold, then atleast the others would gain something from it. Instead, Helena keeps all the profit. The children are starting to suffer." When she finished cleaning she strung the needle. "Alright. Here goes. Do you want me to continue, or should I finish this first?"

Post by Guest »

Murat listened closely to what Fatima was telling him and as the story progessed, so did the deepening of his frown. To the half giant, children were part of the tribe and the tribe was something to be watched over, not something to be exploited to gain profit. Slowly he laid on his stomach and gave her the sign to go ahead, but instead of keeping silent the broadshouldered man shifted his focus to the conversation, whilst trying to ignore the pain in his calf, by trying to utilise a meditation technique he learned during his martial arts training. "First of all, why didn't you go to the simbahan? Treating the wounded is a calling, albeit the fact that raising children is too. Sounds to me like the largest obstacle here is the old woman. Who is the one protecting her at the rafao's court?"

He let his words sink in for a brief moment, then continued to speak with a genuine interest in his voice. "What is the going rate for an underfed slave? Far less then what a well-fed one would bring in, right? The only problem here is to make Helena see the difference, or simply arrange for her to disappear. The latter would benefit the children, I presume?" Murat looked back at Fatima's face.

"Perhaps there is a way to change this, Fatima, but I'll need your help to try and do it, provided you are willing to take that risk. My new employer is a wealthy man and no doubt has contacts at the Rafao's court. If I get the chance, I will speak to him about this. Discretely of course." He stared at her eyes, the frown still on his face. "But I will need you to speak up in behalf of the children when the time is right. Will you do it?" Calmly the half giant awaited her reaction, whilst his gaze rested on her face. His eyes reflected a warmth deep within them. "I already have one witness to speak against the owner, two with you included and three if you can bring Alevi to me."
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"I didn't go because of the children," Fatima said as she started to stitch the wound. "I do all I can for them, without Helena knowing." She sighed, he could feel the stinging pressure of her breath as it washed over the open slash. "They would have no one to stick up for them if I wasn't here.

"Honestly, as I'm sure you could tell from Alevi, the children aren't underfed. Helena realizes that to turn a good profit one must have healthy... products." She nearly shuddered at the notion of referring to them as that. "I don't know who she has at the palace that is helping her out, but he or she must be well connected, and must be involved in what papers make it to Ionis' desk..." Fatima shrugged.

She turned as he did, as he made eyecontact, immediately she blushed and her eyes fell to the floor, she wasn't used to such things. "Discretion would be most important in any matter concerning the orphanage. Were Helena to hear that there were inquiries she would destroy all the evidence..." Here she stopped, allowing Murat to take the statement how he saw fit. "And then there would be no proving anything."

Fatima continued her sewing, and she made fast work of the gash. "Alright." She started wrapping the bandage around his calf. "Just keep it clean, change the bandage -- Maybe twice a day? Once in the morning, once at night. Stop by the Simbahan tomorrow, they can give you more help, and a salve to haste the healing."

"Now, I've answered your questions, answer mine: What is your interest in this? In us... and in Maha?" She was bold about this, she didn't like the idea of the youth in a situation that wasn't safe. "I heard he was a part of that cult... are you?"

Post by Guest »

Murat had clenched his teeth on occasion, during the process of Fatima's sewing up his calf, not much more indicating the pain he felt. He however listened closely to what she had to say and reacted upon it as soon as she was done talking. "With my people, children are our future, just as we are their heritage. They should not be treated the way you described to me. Maharrem is a good child, that got mixed up with the wrong crowd. In a way, he was taken advantage of, by providing him with some basic necessities, when he needed it most. At the moment he was in their grasp, the indoctrination started. With a little persuasion, I managed to get him to work for me, then I got us both hired into the barsanke estate. I hope this will be enough to keep him away from these snake-lovers. Those types are fanatics, the hardened core of their 'religion' would kill to prove their cause right. He does not belong there. Does this answer your question?"

The half giant took a small peek at the work she had performed on the calf, then nodded appreciatingly. "The Simbahan couldn't have done a much better job on that cut then you just did. I'll remember to change the bandage and will visit there soon to get a salve." He turned his eyes away from the treated wound and looked at her directly again. "I will see what I can do in return for you and promise I will do so discretely, if not very cautious in whom I speak to." He gently placed his hand on hers and waited for her to look him in the eye. "Do you ever go out of the orphanage, Fatima?"
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"Don't let Maha hear you calling him a child." Fatima said with a slight smile creeping on her lips but more into her voice. "But I am much relaxed knowing that he is no longer with him... the things they did to him." She sighed. "I'd rather not think of it."

The stitches were tight and uniform. It would help prevent much scarring, as well as ease with keeping it clean and insuring it would heal quickly. "Leave the scab that forms alone, and in a week the stitches out to be taken out. The healers at the Simbahan, or perhaps even the Barsanke estate, should be able to take care of that for you."

At his compliment of her skill with stitchery she looked to the ground again and fiddled with the roll of thread. It was an easier thing to look upon than the eyes of the half-giant. However, that was not to last as he grew silent and implored her to look up at him. Reluctantly, she did, her dark eyes were deep wells that seemed to go on forever. Murat could see his own face reflected in them as clear as any looking glass, he appeared tired, and there was a small cut above his eyebrow.

Murat could feel the small bones of Fatima's hand as his rested on hers. They were birdlike and frail and felt easily breakable. "Yes. On occassion," she said. "I... I do the shopping." She swallowed, and tried to keep eye-contact, but she had been taught submission from a very young age, and it proved more difficult. "The day after tomorrow I must go to the market to get foodstuffs for the children. Why do you ask?" At this her eyes dropped back down and looked upon his much larger hand enclosing her own.

Post by Guest »

He listened carefully to the instruction she was giving him and made a special note to keep this in mind. He praised himself lucky with his trained mind, so he should have little difficulty to remember the instructions. The half giant grinned and slowly reached with his finger towards her chin, very gently trying to lift it up a bit. "How about I try and meet you there, so we can share a meal somewhere, for starters? Provided that you'd want to, of course." Murat didn't push this forwards, as he normally would have done to get his way, but instead left it up to her to decide. "I would enjoy the company, Fatima." The grin became a smile, as he patiently awaited the answer she would give.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

The small woman's head raised easily. She was manipulated often enough that being moved physically was just another piece of it. "Alright," she didn't say anything else for a moment. "Tradetide, then, exactly." Fatima finally added. "At Nabob's stall, do you know it? It will be empty, he is only open at night, so there won't be many people around. We can go elsewhere from there." It felt so wrong to be doing this behind Helena's back, and yet, she knew she had to.

"Helena knows my speed with stitchery, she will begin to wonder if we do not come out soon." Fatima stood from her kneeling position. "Take care of Maharrem, please, and tell him I worried after him." She pulled her hand from Murat's. "We can discuss this where the walls do not have ears." She turned quickly and moved toward the door, opened it and waited for the half-giant to step out.

"Keep the wound clean," she said in a stoic manner. "Do not come back here expecting our charity, that is what the Simbahan is for." Her eyes were cold once again and she lead him down the hallway toward the gaping entrance. It appeared so dark outside, and a cold wisp of air caught the half-giant's hair from a crack in the wall or perhaps it came from under the door. She opened the next door and waited for him to step out before shutting it and locking it behind him.

Post by Guest »

Murat nodded to her, as he removed his finger and smiled slightly. "Tradetide it is and I know which stall you mean. It is where I got wounded tonight." Instead if persisting to keep talking, he moved as swiftly as he could once she opened the door, not wanting her to get into trouble. As he walked by her, he whispered the words. "I'll take care of Mar, even bring him if you like?" He moved through the door she held open for him, then turned and waited for her to either shake her head or nod at his last remark.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

She gave the slightest shake of her head to say no. Fatima knew better, and she knew that no matter Murat's urging there would be nothing to get Maharrem back to this place. No way, no how.

"May Anasis watch your shadow, stranger." Her dark eyes seemed to have a new sparkle in them that could only be attributed to one thing: hope.

Outside the biting cold wind pulled at Murat's clothing and begged him to be carried off into the smooth desert beyond the high walls of Abu`Sahir. Overhead a blanket of darkness was punctuated with bright stars. It was so pure a night. "It seems unfair, doesn't it, that the heavens be so perfect when so many lives were lost in the streets?" Maharrem was at Murat's side once he reached the end of the path to the orphanage. "Are you cleaned up and good?" He looked down at the bandage.

Post by Guest »

Murat nodded to Maharrem and commented dryly. "Cleaned, dressed and the one that patched me up told me to watch over you. Fatima sends her best. I also found out why you would never go back in there, Mar. We have a bit of discussion to do, once we get back to the tavern, or along the way there. I made a promise to Fatima and will need your aid to try and pull it off." Gradually the half giant moved and slowly managed to get into a pace that was easy enough for the young man to follow. "We need to get on a good foot with our new employer, Maharrem, if we want to help Fatima. The orphanage is in dire need of a new owner."

He grinned and looked at the boy. "Want to help me try and accomplish this, for the sake of Fatima and the children still in there?" He stated in a hushed tone of voice, as they walked in the direction of the tavern.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Maharrem looked at Murat. "Fatima? She's still alive?" He seemed shocked, and yet a bit relieved. "She took a beating when I escaped. Helena," he said the word with particular disdain. "Was not pleased that I got away. She considered me promising, thought I would do well where she planned on placing me."

The young man continued walking. "I had other plants, though. Not that they worked to my advantage." He shrugged.

"What did you promise Fatima that you need my help with?" He asked skeptically. Though he put his young life in line many times, he wanted to make sure he knew what he was getting himself into. Thoughts of returning to the orphanage were distressing in the least.

Post by Guest »

"Yes she is, Mar, she's the one that bandaged that wound of mine. But Helena found you to be promising as what?" Murat smirked at the young man and replied his last question with a single sentence. "I told Fatima that I would try my best to relieve the orphanage of it's current propriator, one way or the other." He gave the boy time to consider his words as they walked onwards to the tavern, taking the time to try and memorise the routes they had taken through the city so far. He hoped the boy would realise by himself that he'd preferrably do so without having to kill, but still kept it in mind as an alternative. "Can you read and write, Mar?" he suddenly asked the young man.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

The city of Abu`Sahir was neatly built in the center, with a straight path, the road of Foreigner's Court, going directly north right to the Desert Palace, but outside of the main road everything became crooked. Even the buildings seemed impossibly angled on desert sand. The cobbles of the road lead a skewed street toward Foreigner's Court, but that wasn't the direction that Maha lead them, for he knew all the roads of Abu`Sahir, and he knew a quicker path to get back to the Bad Omen where they could reside for the rest of the morning.

"Promising." He looked over to Murat as if he didn't intend on elaborating on it at all. Then he sighed, he figured if Fatima could trust him then there was something there. She was, afterall, a great judge of character and Murat had been inside for quite a while. "As a companion." He wasn't sure if half-giants had such a thing in their culture, so he felt the need to explain. "For a noble, for their pleasure. A man by the name of Inyelbod took a particular interest and offered a very high price, that was when I fled. I didn't want that life." He kicked a rock and it skipped down the street with a pitter-patter.

"Yes, I read and write. Common and Adhiel." He looked over to Murat and grinned. "Don't tell anyone though, I don't want to ruin my street reputation." He winked. "We're almost there."

Return to “Amun Rah Archive”