A Return to Roots -- Rakhash

Moderator: Mods

Post by Guest »

Rakhash opened his mouth to speak, to find some way to explain his upcoming absence from the city. He breathed a small sigh of relief at the sound of the knock at the door interrupting him. What would his parents think if he told them he was going to ride into a civil war for a girl he had only met days before? With the way his mother glared at Lianelle, without even getting to know her, he had no doubt that she would do anything she could to convince him to stay. She wouldn’t understand, she’d see everything through the haze that mother’s all see through, the over-protective tinge that surrounds their children at all times. He had to admit that everything had happened between he and Lianelle rather quickly, but that didn’t change the way he felt or the events that he had been caught up in.

The young man resolved to make her understand. After he dealt with their visitor, of course.

He stared at the girl before him peculiarly, wondering how she knew where to find him. Slowly, he nodded in affirmation as she mentioned his name. “The dark adhiel?” He said thoughtfully, taking the note from her and unfolding it. If he knew how to find him, knew where his parents were, then surely the Rafao could find out just as easily. He frowned as he read the words in the note.

Finishing it once, he read through it another time, considering the words it said.

’A group searches for you, it is lead by a dark adhiel…’

‘Ionis himself has charged a man with hunting you down, along with some other goons. I know the man, and I know the goons, and I know you how you can avoid them and get to some reasonable amount of saftey.’

“The dark adhiel, the one who’s leading the group, was sent by the Rafao?” he asked quietly. “You’ve already done much in telling me that.” Rakhash turned to Lianelle, and raised an eyebrow. “The adhiel says he has a way to help me avoid the group that pursues us, so long as he can come along. I suppose he speaks the truth when he says he knows their leader.” He let out a chuckle, and then shook his head. “He’s playing a game with us. He says he owes me for saving his life but I’m not sure I’d put much stock in the value of that gratitude.” He handed the note to Lianelle so she could read it herself. “I’m not sure, even if I wanted to take him up on the offer, that we have the time…” He raised an eyebrow quizzically at Lianelle. “But on the other hand, if he can find me here, then who knows what else he can do if we run…” He cast a sidelong glance at his parents, hoping the beautiful princess would understand the concern he was feeling without alerting his parents. “What do you think?”

Rakhash had to step into the middle of a war, he had to evade the grasp of the Rafao, and now his family was in danger as well. Continuing to stare at Lianelle, he offered her a small smile. Great rewards require great efforts, at times. It will never be for me to judge what the gods deem an appropriate price for the blessings they bestow upon me. I need only continue to take solace and reprieve in those rewards when I can, and the tests the place before me will never be unconquerable.
Ashari
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

Post by Ashari »

The messenger knew that she had made Jadmai's leadership of the squad quite clear - and it was purposeful. Lianelled looked between the new arrival and Rakhash as he read, and then took the note and read it as well. "I know who you are..." She said, looking up from the missive for a flicker. "You got that guard of of her.. I thought you were.." Lianelle stopped and blushed a bit.

"A boy. I get that a lot." The young girl grinned. "And I was dressed that way on purpose. I was fighting, harder to do in a skirt, though you managed well enough, miss."

"I had help."

The two nodded in a quick understanding of womanhood and it's difficulties, none of which needed to be said. Muriel might've agreed, had she not been trying so hard to read over Lianelle's lithe shoulder, though the princess felt the older lady's eyes, and pressed the note against her flat stomach which was hidden beneath the heavy cloak making her slim figure much more apparent than it had been. Arafna's brow raised just slightly but the significance was profound. He approved.

"We should go. I won't have your family in jeopardy over me. He says he is a prisoner as well. Perhaps he had no choice in his mission." Lianelle swallowed. Things were not going well, and she didn't really want to go back into the heart of the city. They were practically at the wall. So close... She sighed, and then looked at their messenger. "Quill?"

"Yes, indeed." Reaching into a hip satchel she procured a quill and bottle of ink with a wide mouthed top which she unscrewed. Turning over the note, she scrawled on the back.

We are both fine. We will meet you, alone. Two buildings down from Yabal's there is an alley. Go to the end of it, take a left. There are crates. Get comfortable. We will meet you there.

Rak & Lia
"It's the only place that has two exits. And they'll only see the one that they come through. You knocked planks out when you.. when my.." When you beat the shit out of my kidnapper... "When we were there last," she finally said and smiled weakly handing the letter to the delivery girl. "And if he does what he says he will, then we shouldn't need an escape route, right?"

"Bring it to him quickly, please."

"Of course. Ladies, gentlemen." She gave a little bow and then tucked the important document away before departing at a run. If nothing else, she was built for running.

"I'm sorry this had to be so brief." Lianelle looked at Arafna as she spoke, almost as if she were a bit afraid of Muriel. "It was a pleasure to meet you - both."
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]

Post by Guest »

OOC: Sorry, its just about time for diploma exams, so I've been kind of busy :wink:

IC:

Rakhash blinked in surprise, and arched an eyebrow as he turned his gaze from Lianelle to the messenger. A consternated frown that had been displayed across his face as he considered the dark adhiel’s letter slid into a wide grin as he let out a small chuckle. “It seems,” he said, shaking his head slightly, “that we owe you thanks for more than just bringing us forewarning of the dark adhiel. You’re a very brave young girl. The Rafao should be thanking you personally, for doing what you did.”

It seemed silly to think that someone so young could get caught up in something so large, but then, he supposed it was the nature of such a grand plot to snare the innocent along with the wicked in its web. Over the course of the events of the past few days, Rakhash had had his faith in the powers at be, and in the goodness of people in general, shaken to its core. It was soothing and restorative to come into contact with someone so young that was yet prepared to sacrifice for a cause that was inherently good.

At hearing Lianelle’s response that they should meet with Jadmai, the young man sighed, then nodded. She was right, of course, he could not in good conscience ignore the fact that a dangerous man knew where to get at his family, and was hunting them. He had gone to war to strike at the men that were after them, and he wasn’t about to let up now.

“A sound plan, I suppose,” he replied after reading the note and hearing Lianelle’s explanation. He remembered the place vividly, and it was certainly advantageous to have two exits. He bowed his head slightly towards the messenger before she scurried off, then turned to his father, and then his mother.

“Don’t worry about us,” he explained softly, “I know you’re going to. I’ll get back to you when I can, but this will all be easier if I know you aren’t sitting here wondering about how things are going. I can take care of myself…I mean, I’ve evaded the Rafao’s army for how long now?” He grinned mischievously, but beneath it all he stared at his parents with love and reassurance. “I’m sorry we couldn’t stay longer, too, but I just had to make sure you knew I was alright. And of course,” he glanced towards Lianelle with another broad grin, “I’ve said so many great things about you, someone just had to meet you.”

He walked forward to hug his mother and father, mentally still preparing himself to deal with the new threat that loomed in the darkness that shrouded the path ahead of him.
Brytan
Moderator & Coordinator Triangle Islands

Post by Brytan »

OOC: Locking and archiving thread pending player's return.
Last edited by Brytan on Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=84][i]I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about. You must be confusing me with that other guy...[/i][/size]

[size=67]Avatar drawn and edited by me, Darkness concept (c) Topcow comics
Age=28 - SCZ=E - Attendance=daily[/size]

Return to “Amun Rah Archive”