The Dark Knight's Guild Samheen 20th

Moderators: Tristam, Mods

Tristam

The Dark Knight's Guild Samheen 20th

Post by Tristam »

The home of the Dark Knights demands the eye, as there home makes one's mind think of a castle, though not quite as large, the construction of it, in both architecture and aesthetics brings nothing more to mind than a palace. Giant spires push upwards towards the upper reaches of the spire, Dark Knights patrolling the area, what better home for the elite of Gulanadur of both body and mind.

Dark Knights are the best of what Gulanadur has to offer, studying in both weaponry, and diplomacy. This guild rejects more hopefuls than all other guilds in Gulanadur put together.

However, if one is worthy of the training and the title, they will become one of the most respected citizens in Gulanadur, and the rewards that go with it. For most, Dark Knights after graduating, begin work with Nobility.
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The clanging of a great brass bell rang through the halls where the recruits slept. Somehow the bell felt like it rang eariler this day than the last few.

"All recruits awake and assemble in the main courtyard in half a mark." A voice called out. The command could be heard repeated as the voice and bell grew fainter, no doubt moving down the hall.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

Jhael awoke and stretched his muscles. Jhael could barely move as removed himself from his bunk, he was still stiff from the exercise of the past days. His training had not been this rigorous as he'd prepared to be a Knight. I hope we don't have to run the track again today. I think my legs would probably fall off.

Hurriedly, he dressed and pulled on his boots. He wondered what the day held in store. The rock problem seemed likely. He'd been pondering it since Tophin had discussed it the other day. He ran his hand through his hair, not bothering with a comb on such short notice and sped into the courtyard, awaiting the day's lesson.

OOC: I thought it was only one night I was out when I posted (I checked, it was 2). If you need me to edit, let me know. Thanks! :D
Last edited by Guest on Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

OOC: Yeah I'd edit that. I posted at the end of the last thread that you passed the time of silence, had some in depth sign language classes and continued with that run as the last lesson of each day. So that part can stay. :)

The recruits assembled quickly and quietly in the courtyard. A few like Jhael arrived almost immediately and got to stand at attention in line while the Captain observed them. Most of the rest fell into line around fifteen flickers later in a fresh change of clothes and neatly combed hair.

The Captain walked to the front of the line and shook his head. "Eagerness and lack of preparation can get you killed." He stated firmly. "Next time you are given half a mark, use it. Work effiecently and it is amazing what you can achieve."

"In fact," The Captain raised his voice as he walked back toward the rear courtyard. "that is exactly the theme of today's little excerise. Follow." He instructed.

As Jhael has guessed, they were led to the courtyard where he met Tophin. One end was piled high with rocks ranging from tiny pebbles to a behemoth of a stone column easily taller than he was and almost as thick around.

"The goal of the exercise is simple." The Captain moved to a candle in a nearby wall holder. "Before this candle burns out, every one of those rocks will be at the other end of the courtyard. Any questions, men?"
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

Jhael thought about asking questions but stayed his hand. He'd been given the rules, the rocks had to be at the other end of the courtyard before the candle burns out. His mind went whirring with options, mostly to find any loop holes in the Captain's instructions. There weren't many as the instructions were relatively straight forward. Either move the rocks or keep the candle from burning out. Only one option seemed feasible.

While Jhael waited for other students to ask questions he looked closer at his surroundings. The behemoth like column seemed the greatest challenge but he'd thought of a way to tackle that challenge. It was the smaller and mid size rocks that needed a smart solution. He would need two types of tools. The first needed to be something to smash the bigger rocks. If one was too big to carry, it would need to be made smaller and bare hands could not accomplish that task. But taking the smaller rocks across one by one would be a demonstration in inefficiency. He needed something to move rocks several at a time. His mind raced and his eyes searched for anything he could use.

In my pack I have my wool blanket and my satchel. Both could carry several rocks at a time. If the group of us were to all use similar methods we could move these quickly. And those of us not moving rocks could break up the bigger rocks, if we could find the right tool.

The young dark adhiel was eager to begin the challenge and held his breath, waiting for the signal to go.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

No one else asked any questions either. "Very well. Oh and in case anything happens to this candle," the Captain reached into his shirt pocket and pulled out another of identical size. "I'll be keeping track of the time with this one." He pulled out his flint and steel and lit their candle and then his own off of it. "Begin."

Half of the recruits immediately ran towards the rockpile and started moving the heaviest rocks they could confortably carry by themselves. A few others took a moment to observe the pile in thought. One or two simply looked overwhelmed and dismayed.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

OOC: Apologies on the delay. It's been one crazy week.

IC: Jhael pondered the challenge before him. This was a test for sure and not a simple one. There was something in the exercise that begged for a more logical analysis of the effort than simply muscling the stones across. He watched his aggressive peers launch toward the rocks. They would succeed in moving some but their strength would fade. He could only hope the students watching were like him, planning a strategy before acting. Those who looked lost, he doubted would remain long in training.

He walked over to the nearest trainee who seemed to be analyzing as he'd done. He did not turn toward him but watched the movement of those with stones in their hands.

"Their strength will fail in time. I do not think we are meant to move them with force alone." He said to his companion.

"I believe a more creative approach should be used. The Captain has not forbid us the use of tools as he? He has only given us a task and a deadline. I propose we fetch our blankets and packs and load as many rocks as we can carry between us. Two of us can carry several stones at once. While we are carrying the stones, the others can work on the largest of the stones. We need to roll it, and if that cannot be done, we should break the stone into smaller pieces and bring them over. Do you think it will work? We should grab our mates and retrieve the blankets, I think."

He paused and waited for an answer, still perplexed at the challenge before him. What am I missing, he thought. Should we just throw them across?
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The nearest trainee turned to face Jhael. He was about a head taller with a very wiry frame as compared to the heavy muscles that most of the recruits sported. Jhael vaguely recalled that this man was always towards the back of pack when they go on their runs.

"I concur." He nodded thoughtfully. "I was thinking that a scattering of smaller stones might be useful to roll the larger ones along but I think we'd lose too much time getting that to work. Name's Thieran by the way." He commented without offering his hand. "If you'll send the ones gawping to fetching some blankets and packs, I'll persaude the other two to scour this place for sledgehammers."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

Jhael liked the idea posed by his classmate. Splitting the work up would allow them to achieve more, faster. It was a simple division but hopefully it would provide success.

Jhael turned and addressed the remaining staring recruits.

"Friends, listen! This challenge is harder than it may seem. Already our candle burns low. Thieran," he said indicating the departing applicant," and I have an idea that would allow us to move the rocks more quickly. To do this, we will use our blankets and satchels as tools to bring over several rocks at once!"

"We will be done in no time if we work together!" cheered Jhael.

"Come let us fetch what we need!"

Jhael turned and moved toward his room as confidently as possible. He did not know if the other gawkers followed. If they did, they understood. If not, he thought as his pace quickened, they'll need an example to believe my theory.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Thieran and his two head off into the corridors of the guild and Jhael and his two begin to do the same.

"Just a flicker!" A ragged sounding voice called out. One of there fellow recruits had just put down a rock the size of his chest and came puffing up to them. "Where do you think you're going? We've got rocks to move and we're going to need every man we can get. Now get to it!" He fixed the three of them with a hard stare.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

Jhael stopped and looked defiantly at the other recruit.

"You'll never finish doing them one at a time," he said cooly. "We're going to fetch blankets and packs. This will help us gather the small and mid size ones more efficiently. With all of us running one across at a time, we'll be exhausted before we're half through."

He turned as if to leave but did not want to be rude.

"We should work together on this one to find a better way. We won't be long. While we're gone form a line across the yard with the other recruits. You can pass rocks from one end to the other from man to man. Move some of the bigger rocks this way and we'll get the rest."
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The recruit stared at Jhael for a long burn. He wanted to smack down this recruit that dared to give him orders. He wanted to find a flaw in the logic of the suggestion. Finding none, the burly adhiel turned on his heel and returned to the stone yard bellowing out instructions to his fellows to line up as he did so.

Jhael and his two compatriots are uncontested as they reenter the barracks though the Dark Knights that pass eye them rather critically. Stripping the blankets off the beds was easy enough as was grabbing the packs off the walls.

By the time they returned, the line had been formed across the courtyard and large rocks made the journey from hand to hand from the large pile to the smaller one. Thieran came with a solid looking smithing hammer and a sturfy chisel in his hands. "Best I could find so far. The others are still looking."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

Jhael looked pleased at the progress so far. He was anxious to participate and did not want his fellow recruits to feel he had not carried his share of the load. With blankets in hand, Jhael motioned to some of the recruits who had come with him through the barracks.

"Start filling these blankets and packs with the smaller rocks," he instructed. "We'll use them to carry over the smaller stones. Don't over load yourself and, if necessary, have two work at the same time." He handed out the blankets and moved over to Thieran. Jhael looked critically at the hammer and chisel. It's a start but why do I feel woefully overmatched?

"Let's go check out this column," he said to Thiernan. "It may be the chisel is unnecessary and we can roll it. If not, we will find the true meaning of the word challenge."
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"I feel sure it can be rolled. If" Thieran paused as he looked at the massive stone, "we can tip it onto its side without killing any of us."

The other recruits jumped to the orders they were given and started taking the time to gather the rocks in bulk before shouldering the heavy packs for the short march across the yard.

"More to the point if we don't move this soon we'll not have the room for it across the yard." Thieran murmured. "Here join your shoulder to mine and let's see if we can budge this thing at all."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

Jhael could easily see Thiernan's point. The yard across was filling up quickly with the stones. If they did not act quickly, they would fail simply because of lack of space.

Jhael quickly looked on the other side of the column to see if any other recruits were there. It would do no good to injure anyone . . .yet.

He stepped in beside Thiernan and placed his hands on the stone.

"Let's do this," urged Jhael. "I'm eager to see this task complete."

He grinned to his new friend and placed his should in what felt like the best position to heave. He gripped the ground with his feet, took a deep breath and pushed with all his might.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The great mound of stone stood impassively against the efforts of the two recruits. A third and fourth adhiel joined them on either side and the great column began to shift. Several more placed large rocks between where they strained at the stone, climbed atop them and pushed with all their might. Then the monolith began to tip.

Recruits with their sacks and blankets scrambled out of the way as the column inexorably tipped further and further until the recruits suddenly fell to the ground from the swiftness of the stone's retreat.

It fell to the earth with a resounding crash sending dust and small stones flying about the courtyard. When the cloud dispersed, the Jhael could see the monolith lay on its side undamaged.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

There was an immediate joy at the impact of the great column. A noble soul would praise the team work displayed, yet Jhael's impulse was more carnal. Something in the sheer size and potential destructive power of that shift pulled at his inner chords. He deeply wished it had fallen on something. Impressive, though Jhael.

However, Jhael knew the task was not yet finished. Elated and fascinated as he was, the column still needed to be moved across the courtyard. With a renewed breath, Jhael placed his hands against the stone and began to push.

"Heave with me, friends," he instructed. "With all of together, this beast of a stone will roll to the other side. I pray our brothers are smart enough to get out of the way," said Jhael with a droll smirk. He exhaled powerfully and leaned in with all of his strength. Roll, damn you, he thought angrily, roll . . .
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Adhiel shoulders and hands slammed into stone and strained against the monolith with all they had. Slowly but surely resistable force caused the nearly immovable object to roll forward. It never got easy. Each foot and yard was hard earned by sweat, aching muscles and the occasional gashed hand from the uneven surface of the great stone.

At long last the final shove was given by all and the column rolled into the place prepared for it in the far yard. The candle was burned to half its former length.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

Jhael collapsed on his knees with exhaustion. He felt he should be happy the effort was successful but his muscles and lungs burned too hotly for him to care. I'm out of shape, he thought. Not enough practice moving great big rocks. With a smile of grim satisfaction, he turned and surveyed the scene.

The candle had burned half of its length. That was encouraging. Rocks had been moving steadily from one side of the yard to another and the biggest challenge, the gigantic column, had been successfully relocated.

Catching his breath, he stood up and examined the rock moving process, trying to identify which area seemed the most at risk of not completing in the next half candle. He would then direct the team that had moved the column to that area. He would not fail at this task.
Last edited by Guest on Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The next major obstacle came not from immovable rocks but in the form aching muscles and mouths dry from the dust clouds kicked up into the air. All of the ones on Jhael's team would rather die that admit it of course.

To a man, all of them moved to the next large pile of medium weight stone and started passing them down the chain of adhiel they formed. Even if Jhael wasn't feeling it himself, he could tell their pace had fallen off quite a bit.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

His satisfaction with moving the large stone column faded, Jhael steeled himself against the pain and moved back toward the group. He could sense they were struggling. The pace seemed slower, faces seemed more drawn and grunts of exhaustion echoed his own dashing heart. We need a morale boost, thought Jhael. Like me, they see little to gain in this challenge save for the appeasement of the older Knight's whims.

As he neared the closest recruits, he gently placed a hand on his shoulder and took his place in the line.

"Take heart my friend," he said nodding toward the great column. "We have moved the largest stone and there is still half the candle left!"

Jhael heaved the rock to the next in line and forced a grin to his face.

"Come now, lads, let's give it what we can. Only half the candle left and we're making great time." Jhael had no idea how they were faring in the larger task, but he wanted to sound confident when he addressed his fellow recruits.

He smiled again and moved off find the blankets and continue loading the stones. Jhael, and Thieran if he would come, would focus on moving as many rocks as they could using the blankets until the time was up. It was all they could do. Their time was slowly running out.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Jhael's words of encouragement garnered him a smile from some and a scowl from others. Still, it helped put a little more spring in their step. One of the recruits began to sing a rhythmic work song, a song of the deep mines and swinging picks. This too gained a smile from some and a scowl from others but further served to rally a flagging morale.

Thieran gladly worked with Jhael for a time then put down their latest load with a grimace. "I think it is time to do more with less." He grunted. "I'm going to take a few recruits and go hunt up some water. Let's give each adhiel a few flickers to rest staggered so only a few rest at a time. I think we'll collapse short of the finish if we don't."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

Jhael wondered at Thieran's comment. The other adhiel indeed seemed exhausted. He had been so focused on completion of the task and applying his own will that he had failed to see his comrades struggling.

"Water is a good idea," replied Jhael, "I fear we may be even too late. Take some of the fastest and return when you can. We will work until you return and then rest to take some water. We will take turns resting and working so that we can finish strong."

Jhael turned back to the task at hand, lifting a rock and placing it among the blanket he was using to haul his load. Once more across this field, thought Jhael.

Trudging over the grass, Jhael wondered again about the lessons he was learning. The task had seemed impossible but they had worked together to manage a solution. Some, including himself, had even attempted to create a plan before they started. The men though, were not machines and needed rest. He had forgotten that point, lost in his own battle of endurance. It reminded him of the race he had run. There too, he had been too focused on his internal struggle and his desire to complete the challenge that he hadn't thought about the others in the struggle with him.

This was supposed to be military unit training as well as character building. Unit meant more than one and he was not remembering that in his trials. As he placed his bag of rocks down in the opposite yard, he told himself his perspective would have to change.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Thieran nodded to Jhael and rounded up three that seemed to need the rest more to help him fetch water. They were gone only flickers before two of them returned with buckets and dippers and began to pick out recruits to rest. The buckets were refreshed by the other two coming back from the well and switching off they kept the supply of water coming.

When his turn came for rest, the water tasted sweet and cool as it slaked the dust from his throat. The few moments of rest were too little in the face of the effort already undertaken. It was better to keep moving lest the muscles sieze up. Still, even some time walking without heavy loads felt good.

Refreshed the recruits attacked the rocks with renewed vigor. The candle was burning down fast but they were making good time.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Return to “Gulanadur Archive”