The Captive Rin

Moderator: Mods

Lugh

The Captive Rin

Post by Lugh »

Rin has been sent on a quest by the Avatar of Atara Arda to go to the border and bring back a live male orc for questioning to prove his worthiness for the Emerald Guard. He has prepared and began his journey with much to-do. On his first night in the forest he is captured by the very orcs he has been sent to capture and is now being interrogated by the orc leader.
[hr][/hr]"I am not lying! The military speaks very little to the citizens, and I was only in town for one night. If they were planning something, they certainly would not be telling people about it." Rin protested.
[hr][/hr]"But you did see the guards and their defenses. You're being very uncooperative and we need to know what we can expect." The orc smirks at Rin.
[hr][/hr]"I did not see anything that could be taken as strange. While I was in the city, it seemed like business as usual." Rin said.
[hr][/hr]The orc's face hardens. "Then describe the City."
[hr][/hr]
"I remember the ivory towers of the Palace in the heart of Taloh Tel `Amrun and the troops guarding it. Not very many, as I remember. In the city, there are many merchants, taverns, and inns." Rin said.
[hr][/hr]
The orcish leader shakes his head. "Don't confuse speaking elven with having elven patience. How many guards did you see, where are they stationed?"
[hr][/hr]
"As far as I could tell, they were scattered throughout the city. I believe I passed an encampment on the outskirts of the city. I cannot say that I know their size for sure, but it seemed like a military of good size and strength." Rin replied.
[hr][/hr]
The orc quirks a brow. "Now we are getting somewhere. All of them wearing this green plate?" A sparkle appears in the eyes of the chief.
[hr][/hr]
"Some of them, not all." said Rin to the orc.

Post by Guest »

The orc chief grunted and turned to Bruch when he returned "I don't think we need it yet.". Turning back to Rin he continued "What are they wearing then? Yellow outfits? Red armour? Tell me what the others are wearing!". Durin his last words Rin could see the hatred in the eyes of this orc. It looked like he was almost snapping...
Galliban

Post by Galliban »

"Some were in uniforms, some were not. Some wore plate armor, and some wore chain mail." Rin replied promptly.

Post by Guest »

"That's more like it!" The chief answered. "Now tell me, were their armors made of the shiny elven metal? The kind that burns our eyes in the sun?"
Galliban

Post by Galliban »

"Shiny elven metal? Do you mean mythril? I doubt that all of the soldiers were wearing mythril, it is far too rare." replied Rin.

Post by Guest »

"So you are saying that the elven legions, who were oh so mighty as my ancestors once said aren't rich enough to afford their legions the best armor they can get? I don't believe you, young one." The chief said and nodded to another orc standing at the side of Rin.

Before Rin noticed something coming his way he felt the fist of the orc striking his midsection. Rin couldn't breathe their for a moment due to the pain.

"Now tell me what you can about their units. What type of units do your elven friends use most of the time to fight another army?" The chief continued right after Rin was hit.
Galliban

Post by Galliban »

Rin gasped for air as the pain shot through his midsection. As he looked up at the orc chief, a clear hatred was revealed in his eyes.

"I do not know. As I said, I know very little about the area. My guess would be that they use riders carrying swords and bows largely as most elven armies do." Rin replied, trying his hardest to keep from growling hatefully at the orc, lest he be struck again.

Post by Guest »

"Remember, elf. If we notice you are not telling the truth we will stick with other methods of interrogation. I think Bruch would like to have a word with you then." the chief replied with a harsh voice and a fiendish smile crawling onto his face while speaking. "So now what do you know about the type of armors they wear?"
Galliban

Post by Galliban »

"I'd expect mythril, except for trainees, that is." Rin said. Though he truly didn't know, he tried to be as convincing as possible. Maybe all of those years as a vagabond were paying off as the chief seemed to have bought some of his story so far.

Post by Guest »

The orc chief gazed at Rin for a moment, taking a quick glance at Bruch and nodded, now smiling at Rin. "You might be right, fellow. You have given us at least useful information about the elven army. Maybe not all we need, but it will suffice for now. Consider it that I will be speaking to my colleagues for a moment. Bruch will be right back to you. Feel free to wander around... in the circle of my kin your now standing in." and for once something came out of his throat what, according to Rin, sounded as a laugh interrupted by the orc himself.
Galliban

Post by Galliban »

Rin said nothing and remained still except for his eyes, which were darting around, observing his surroundings, still looking for something that might aid his escape.

Post by Guest »

Rin could see some sort of tents behind the bodies of the orcs surrounding him. A bit farther away he saw a few horses, probably stolen by the orcs. He couldn't see any weapons as of now, but they should be close enough though.

After a few moments Bruch came to Rin with a wineskin obvious filled with a liquid. He said to Rin "Here you got some water to drink if you want to.", emphasizing the word water, continuing "Maybe it will make you think clearer so you will give us more information.", dropping the wineskin in the ring of Orcs with a fiendish smile on his face. Then he turned around and walked away.
Galliban

Post by Galliban »

Rin did not even reach for the so-called water. Whatever the liquid was exactly, he knew that orcs were too sadistic to purposely make their captives more comfortable. Besides that, he didn't want to give the filthy orcs any more information than he had to, though the information already given was not very accurate as far as Rin knew. He had been making most of it up. Even if he did remember the details of the city more clearly, he still would have lied.

Post by Guest »

After half a candle mark the chief came back and picked the waterskin from the ground remarking "It'll be your dead if you don't drink, elf. This water is good for the thirsty ones you know.", drinking some of the water before continuing "You really fell into this one. It is obvious you aren't smart. But then again, if you aren't smart, might you be strong? Well, are you? Or agile maybe? Would you like a fair fight against one of us?". Patiently he stood there, gazing in Rin's eyes, waiting for him to answer the question.
Galliban

Post by Galliban »

"I am indeed a trained fighter, but I doubt that fighting any of you will win my freedom. I am not looking to risk life and limb for nothing." Rin replied. Though his words might have seemed cowardly, it was not cowardess that motivated them, it was intelligence. He looked up at the orc as he spoke, straight into his eyes. Rin's eyes were filled with a kind of bold resolve and courage, but not naivety.

Post by Guest »

OOC: A note from me. I will go on a short holiday today and will be back the fifth of march. in the meantime Saskia will take over this thread until i'm back. Sorry for the long wait.

IC:
The Orcs now all seemed to look unpleased and the chief grunted something. All of the orcs left and five came back carrying spears and shackles. After the shackles were fastened to Rin's neck they fastened the accompanying chain to a chopped tree in a open area of the camp. The orcs with the spears set themselves in a wide circle around Rin and Bruch came to say "You'd better start walking in circles. Everytime you're standing still or walk without a straight chain one of them will stand up and prod you with the spears they have. You will be able to rest 4 hours a day. Chosen by me.". With that, he left.
Galliban

Post by Galliban »

Rin growled spitefully as he walked away from the tree to the point where the chain attached to his neck was straight.

"At least it is good excerise." Rin thought, having to force himself to find any good in the situation as he began to walk clockwise around the tree, making sure to keep the chain straight. As he walked at a slow pace, trying to conserve energy, he kept looking around, looking into even the nooks and cranies of the area around him.

OOC: No problem at all.
saskia
Game Designer
Game Designer

Post by saskia »

In the beginning, the orcs watched Rin carefully, hopig for an excuse to hurt him, and keep them from being bored.
But as the hours passed, and Rin managed to keep walking with the chain tight, they lost interest and started playing a game of dice.

Of course it didn't take them long to get into an argument over supposed cheating...
As they strarted arguing, they seemed not to notcie Rin at all anymore.
[size=100][color=red] It takes a red-headed woman, to get a dirty job done[/size][/color]

[size=84]Bruce Springsteen[/size]

[size=75]http://www.dreslough.com[/size]
Galliban

Post by Galliban »

As Rin noticed the orcs arguing, he still marched in a circle around the tree at a slower pace, inspecting the shackle around his neck carefully everytime he was out of the orcs' direct sight. He looked carefully for any way to detach the shackle, figuring that now would be the best time to attempt an escape.
saskia
Game Designer
Game Designer

Post by saskia »

As the orcs continued to fight amonst themselves, Rin examined the shackle around his neck. This was a very hard thing to do, since it is difficult to see something witch is around your own neck. By the feel of it, and straining his eyes 'till his head hurts and he feared being cross-eyed fro the rest of his life, it was locked with a havy, but crude lock.
Rin had heard of lock-picking, of course, and he was sure he could pick this lock, if he had just brought a hairpin...

The fight beteween the orcs got more and more serious, two factions were facing each other and making heated comments on the other party's biology and geneaology. It lookde like they might start bodily combat any minute now...
[size=100][color=red] It takes a red-headed woman, to get a dirty job done[/size][/color]

Galliban

Post by Galliban »

Rin patted down his pockets and checked the dagger sheath on his belt to see if he could find the knife he had bought while in the city, not knowing whether or not it had been taken from him after he had been hit by the orcs earlier.
saskia
Game Designer
Game Designer

Post by saskia »

Silently Rin searched for his dagger, but found nothing. Of course, the big orc had taken it from him as he was captured !

In the meantime, the fighting continued. The orcs were ready to break eachothers bones and punch some noses. Soon they would start to fight and cause even more noise, which might hide any sound rin would make, or bring out an angry orc leader... ... ...

OOC: Hey, it's never that easy ! :wink:

Galliban

Post by Galliban »

OOC: I know, but you can't blame a person for trying.

IC: The only other instrument Rin though he might use was the piece of steel he had used with the flint he had to light his lantern earlier. He searched his pockets quickly but calmly for it, hoping not to make any more noise than was needed.
saskia
Game Designer
Game Designer

Post by saskia »

A frantic search through his pockets and clothing revealed the piece of steel in his boot. Rin managed to get it out and, by touch, inserted it in the lock.
Not knowin what to do, he just moved it around a bit, trying to 'feel' the lock.

Luckily, the lock was of very poor quality, and gave way, breaking the piece of steel, but snapping open with a sudden click.
Right at that time (the gods must be smiling at Rin..), the orcs stopped insulting eachothers mothers and feeding habits, and decided it was time to seperate the real orcs from the hobgoblins. A huge and loud fight broke out, the noise drowning every other sound for leagues around.

Galliban

Post by Galliban »

Rin gently removed the collar from his neck as the real yelling began. As quickly as he could while trying to make himself not obvious, Rin dashed behind the nearest tent, the only thing he thought he could hide behind at the time, as soon as the fighting broke out. He knelt behind the tent for a few moments, looking around trying to orient himself. At the time, he looked for anything that could be used as a weapon should he be discovered by an orcs, but more than that he looked around for the safest, shortest, and clearest way to escape the orc camp.

Return to “Le Bois Noire Archive”