Desert Dandelion -- Jezira

Moderator: Mods

Aislinn O`Conaill
Special Branch

Post by Aislinn O`Conaill »

"Yes!" The mischevious boy was alert, loving to find all the nooks and crannys about the home. The better to watch without being seen, and listen without being heard. He grabbed her pale hand and attempted to pull her down the hallway, but stopped after a few steps. "Where is it?" He glanced at all the different doorways, an almost gleeful expression in his eyes. Nadia didn't want any of the boys in the female house slaves area at all, but Jezira seemed nice enough.

"Then I will show you our book room... can you read? Nadia can read, but she watches us and teaches us sometimes... so she has to. Lots of slaves can't read." He sounded obscurely proud.

"What kind of a slave are you? Do you paint?" He was trying to figure out just what his mother had meant by 'scarlet woman'.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What does not destroy me, makes me stronger. Friedrich Nietzxche

theoriginalcousinit@yahoo.com

Post by Guest »

With a warm smile Jezira follows as the boy pulls her by the hand, then she stops as he stops and answers : "to the left !"
Jezira gently guides the boy by the hand to the slave's stair and moves down with him, nodding as he asks her a question saying "I would love to see it !", then explains to the boy :

"Your father is a very important man with so much work and many responsibilities, that they are weighing heavily on his shoulders and slaves like me are trained to entertain him in his few spare moments, giving important men like your father the opportunity to relax ... so to say : I am an entertainer and - if my Master likes - a storyteller and thats why I was taught how to read, how to sing and dance and even a few acrobatic performances ..." she pauses and thinks to herself :

the other part of what I do, is a story to be told, when you are a bit older, little one

She smiles as she continues "painting is not one of my skills or at least there are not many people liking the pictures I draw" she winks at the boy.
Downstairs she tells the boy "The slaves in the kitchen have to work allot and quickly as they have to prepare meals for anyone living in your fathers house, so lets first have a look if they have time for us."
Jezira takes a quick look into the kitchen then.
Ashari
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

Post by Ashari »

Down the narrow stairway they went, and it was good that Jezira remembered the placement, for truely, the young boy hadn't a clue. Sure, he could've guessed, and maybe after a few opened doors he would've realized where the secret staircase was, but it was much easier to just follow the beautiful scarlet woman. "So you dance for him? Like the girls at Anurith's?" He had heard that place spoken of time and time again by both visitors of his father and by servants and slaves. All of them had been men, of course, and they spoke of the tavern as second only to the breast of Anasis herself where they would rest after life.

"Well, I'd be one of those people living in the house that they need to cook quickly for, wouldn't I?" He said with an almost pretentious air that was obviously not from his father.

Peeking into the kitchen Jezira saw Muh`Dok talking to Gin. He was cutting something on the wooden block, and making pretty designs of it, showing Gin how it was done. They weren't exactly preparing anything, rather practicing. "You see.. yes, draw the knife down and then across at the end- Yes! Gin, you've almost got it. I swear, you'll have all my talents before you're fifteen yahren, and then you'll fetch a high price! Maybe even be bought by one of the taverns so you can earn your freedom." Muh`Dok grinned at the young man and tossled his hair.

"C'mon... I'm hungry." The boy said with a slight whine. "The sooner we eat the sooner we can go to the book room and you can read to me."
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]

Post by Guest »

Looking back to the boy Jezira smiles to him and says : "Sure, young Master, thats true" as she gently guides him into the kitchen leaving diplomatically open to which statement she answered and therefore avoiding the problem to talk to the boy about a place like Anurith's for the moment - being very sure the boys parents wouldn't approve about such a subject.
Jezira looks to Muh`Dok and says to him :" Look Muh`Dok who we have here ... young Master told me that he is hungry and we thought, that you would be the best one being able to help with that problem ?" smiling as she stands in front of him holding the boys hand gently, smiling to Gin too, then watching Muh`Doks reaction as she had changed clothes in the meantime.

Perhaps I am lucky and he forgets his curiosity over a good meal from Muh`Dok and a good story later on... she thinks to herself.
Ashari
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

Post by Ashari »

OOC: Sorry for the lack of posting, there was a bit of miscomunication over what threads were being posted to by who. Mostly my fault, lol.

IC:

It was probably for the best to leave the topic of Anurith's tavern alone. The Golden Ram was not a place for children, and yet more frequently than not, they managed to get themselves inside, or snuck around peeking in under doors and between the candles in the windows. Young boys didn't quite understand the appeal of watching nearly-nude women dancing, though, and they usually just snickered and then crawled off to throw rocks and play their games.

Muh`Dok looked at Jezira, then to the child, then back to Jezira. She had indeed changed her clothes, and now was much more looking the part of the concubine, though, he wasn't quite sure if he preferred that. Truely, she looked more attainable now, but it wasn't necessarily desirable. It made her look more like that which she was: A belonging of Barsanke, and Muk`Dok knew better than to dally with something that belonged to someone else. "Food, young master, is a very wide subject, perhaps you might give me a clue as to what sort you'd prefer?"

"Sweets. Yes.... sweets!" The youngster chimed, and then looked at Gin. "Who're you? How old are you?"

Gin swallowed. He wasn't quite practiced yet, he didn't want to have to deal with his master, nor his master's son. "I-uhm." He bowed in mimickry to Muh`Dok's movement. "Gin, master, and I'm around ten yahren."

"You don't know?"

"No... I'm not positive of my age, no." Gin said, somewhat ashamedly, before looking back up at the young boy who was a few yahren older than he.

"Well, that's just du-"

"How about cinamon toast, then?" Muh`Dok interrupted and was already buttering the bread which he placed on the hot stovetop. Within a few burns he flipped it over and sprinkled some of the strong spice over the top as well as a pinch of sugar.

"Ok.." The young boy answered. "And some fruit? Yaahh.. that'd be good." He was a very strong willed youngster.

"Here you go." He put a few dates on the side that had been rolled in sugar after drying. "And for you, miss, do you need anything from the kitchen?" Muh`Dok addressed Jezira professionally.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]

Post by Guest »

OOC: np ;) ... did you receive my PM including Maeves mail about time sync ? I don't know how to handle that, do you have an idea ? :)

IC :

The most important skill for girls like Jezira is being able to "read and predict" other peoples motives or dispositions and at moments like this Jezira wishes she wouldn't be able to do so. Being accustomed to be found despising even more than a normal slave, as she is a scarlet woman, doesn't hurts her so much anymore, but if it is from people she likes, it still hurts a lot.
Jezira's smile somewhat freezes for an instant, her warm, soft blue eyes more and more showing a hurt expression, then she looks down, as Gin and the young master are talking.
Her mind is somewhat empty as Gin has to answer to the young master, until Muh`Dok helps him out, by transferring the young masters attention to himself.
Then she hears Muh`Doks words as he speaks to her so distant, so professional and she looks up to him, her face emotionless and disciplined now, having buried her real feelings so very deeply as so often before, answering :

"No, thank you ... I changed my mind" even adding a smile professionally as slaves like her have to be able to do that, despite their real feelings.
Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

Muh'Dok smiled, although there was a hint of sadness in his smile. The muscled man could easily see through Jezira. He wouldn't change his behaviour though, he wouldn't get in such a complicated situation again by showing something else... He forced his thoughts to the food for the boy before they could wander too far on those painful roads. "Go get the caramel, boy. If you're expecting that I'll keep that promise," he said smiling. And he sent Gin off with a gentle slap on the back his head.

While the boy ran off to another part of the kitchen the cook's expert hands picked out some small fruits which he sliced up and placed on a small board.

A few moments later Gin got back with a small, iron cannister. Muh'Dok quickly heated the can and poured some of the caramel on a dry biscuit. When it had cooled back down again, the cook put the fruit on it and presented it to the young master with a flourish: "There you go, young master!"

The boy clapped in his hands. "Sweets! Goodie!" He took a quick bite and closed his eyes. "Yum!"

"AMMEN-U'MON!" A shrill voice shouted, "WHERE ARE YOU!" Unmistakingly it was the voice of the wife. The boy had paled and in absolute dread he looked up at Jezira, realizing in what kind of trouble he'ld be if his stephmother caught him here. "I'm not allowed to talk to the slaves," the boy said in a tiny voice.
"- and so's Mister Motricé." Becca smiled wryly. "He's probably going to go - he's not set anything on fire for a few months, so he's got to be going through withdrawal by now." ~ Becca Acerbi

Post by Guest »

Jeziras eyes follow Muh'Doks preparations, somehow being grateful for that moment of silence, that she needs for herself to regain her inner calmness. She looks down at herself and inconspicuously adjusts her clothing for some "imperfections", that would be only noticed by herself.
As the cook presents his work to the young master and the boy was so happy about it, Jezira couldn't avoid to smile too.
In the next moment Jezira flinches as without warning, the voice of doom of her masters wife echoes even down to the kitchen. Peace and happyness, which fled too soon and left a young master close to her who looks up to her now. Jeziras face had paled too as she realizes, that for the second time in a single day she will be connected to something unpleasant for the masters wife and a shiver runs down her spine as she warmly looks down to the young master, her hand running comfortingly over the young masters hair, softly saying to him "you should have told me in advance..." then she looks up to Muh'Dok pleadingly speaking to the huge cook "please help us ... the second time on my first day ... she will kill me"
Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

The cook paled significantly when he heard the mistress of the house shouting. “I’m not sure if anything you do could stop that,” the muscled man mumbled, “Gin, bring the lady and the young master to the supply room. Behind the sacks of flour… That hiding place works well for you, doesn’t it?”

Gin’s mouth dropped open. How did the cook know about his secret hideout? The one he sometimes used when he wanted to elude the other servants of the house: “How did y…”

“THIS IS NO TIME FOR QUESTIONS BOY!” Muh’Dok thundered as the ensuing shouts of the woman drew closer to the kitchen, “TAKE THEM! NOW!”

The boy gulped, quickly took Jezira’s hand and pulled her to a small wooden door. “In here, in here, quickly!” he muttered, eyes shooting to the door.

Ammen-Umon followed trembling, shrinking each time his mother shouted. There was small wooden ladder down behind the door. “Quickly, down, down,” Gin piped, his voice breaking from pure tension.

The young master had stopped when he saw the ladder, shaking violently: “I c…c…can’t. T-t-t-t-t-t-ooo n-n-n-nar-r-row.” As if the appearance of his mother wasn’t enough of a problem, the boy seemed to be claustrophobic as well.
Last edited by Elvin Motricé on Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"- and so's Mister Motricé." Becca smiled wryly. "He's probably going to go - he's not set anything on fire for a few months, so he's got to be going through withdrawal by now." ~ Becca Acerbi

Post by Guest »

Jezira is too panicked to waste time to answer the cook, but in general she agrees with his conclusion about her not being able to stop that, quickly she passes him as Gin pulls her toward the small wooden door and stands tiptoed as she gives him a quick kiss and eternally grateful whispers :

"I owe you ..."

Perhaps she would have said more, but there was no time for that now. Jezira moves down one or two rungs down the ladder, fear for punishment keeping her in it's grip, as she hears the young masters trembling voice letting her realize, that SHE has to act now !
Still being on the ladder she leans toward the boy right in front of it, looking deeply into his eyes whispering :

"Does the young master wants to bring shame to the name of his father by showing fear ?"

Jeziras slender hand moves gently onto his shoulder as she continues a bit more comfortingly :

"I am first on the ladder and I'll be right behind you when you climb down, you will have nothing to uh ... worry about, I am with you."

Saying this, she gently guides the young boy towards her, trying to smile confidently to assure the boy, although her own confidence is nearly faltering.
Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

"I... I...," the boy trembled, his fear of confined spaces more real then the fear for his mother, "My... no.. I can...."

BANG, CLING!

Pots and pans tumbled from their shelves as one of the doors to the kitchen was slammed open with brute force. "WHERE IS MY BOY, COOK? WHERE IS HE?" Ammen-Umon's mother shrieked to Muh'Dok as she stormed through the kitchen to stand in front of the muscled man.

None of this was visible to the trio for a large rack with sacks of something or the other blocked their sight. It also obscured them for the moment.

Caught between two things he hated and feared the most the boy did the only reasonable thing he could do. With an apolegetic look to Jezira he fainted, the thud obscured by the ensuing questions of the mistress of the house. Muh'Dok's calm answers couldn't be heard, totally drowned out by the volume of the woman's voice. Some of the things she accused the cook off Jezira didn't even know and some words were so colourful that they didn't need any explanation, even though she hadn't heard them before...

Post by Guest »

'uh oh ?'

Jezira thinks to herself seeing the trembling boy ' please, don't' then she flinches biting her lips to avoid giving a fearful sigh as pots and pans are falling from the shelves, then that loud shrieking voice 'she is so close !!!' Jezira thinks, but keeps meanwhile as silent as possible.

Seing that apologizing look on the boys face her own eyes look desperately at the boy thinking 'oh noo, please !!! ... that should be my part !'

Staying low just trying to stay hidden as good as possible while trying to hold the fainted boy and keeping her equilibrium on the ladder, Jezira tries to make the best of that strange situation.
Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

The boy wasn't hard to carry, he was lighter then he should considering his age. Finding her balance on the ladder was difficult but once she managed descending it was simple enough. The ladder went quite deep and the more she descended, the colder it got. Seven feet down, she touched the ground.

"There you are, miss," Gin whispered from behind her, "Be careful with the racks. They're quite close."

The only light that fell down in the storage room was that which found it's way down from above. Jezira could descern vague forms of racks and piles of bags but nothing more.

...Time Passed...

Timestamp: Samheen 26th, Early Morningtide

The incident with the boy had ended well. Once she and Muh'dok had managed to get the boy back among the living he had been ashamed of course. Shame was quickly forgotten when he remembered his mother and with a shouting thanks, he had stormed through the door.

In the meanwhile three days had passed since Jezira had gotten to the household. In those days she had neither seen Barsanke, his wife or the young Ammen-Umon.

Eventually, a few days later, the old Barsammael, the oldest slave of the household, had asked her to help in the household a bit. The lord of the house had been called away for urgent business, he had told her, and he would soon get back so they needed to get everything in order to celebrate his homecoming. If she could be as nice of to go the the market for him and get fresh vegatables for the meal they'ld prepare. Muh'dok would give her a list.

OOC: skills awarded for this thread

Conversation ~ basic

This thread can be closed! Jezira, you can continue in: Market Morning - The Secret

You can ask to have this skill added in the OOC area :)
Last edited by Elvin Motricé on Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Brytan
Moderator & Coordinator Triangle Islands

Post by Brytan »

I added the skill as remarked by Elvin above and locked the thread. As you guys proceed to the next thread I will archive this one. A story well played, hopefully the next one will be of equal depth.

Should there be anything else you want me to do, just send me a PM.

Brytan
[size=84][i]I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about. You must be confusing me with that other guy...[/i][/size]

[size=67]Avatar drawn and edited by me, Darkness concept (c) Topcow comics
Age=28 - SCZ=E - Attendance=daily[/size]

Return to “Amun Rah Archive”