The Muster (Open!)

Moderators: Vanadius, Mods

The Muster (Open!)

Post by Guest »

Timestamp: Samheen 22, Late Morningtide

The fields south of Dort were usually a pretty non-descript landscape of tall grass and an occasional barn. The air was cool and comfortable and the sky clear (if one ignored the dragon that had been sighted a mark or so earlier), perfect late Samheen weather.

Only, the peaceful field seemed to have sprouted tall, colorful saplings: poles tipped with the standards of many a reputable young lord or not-so-reputable young mercenary. Everyone had been called from the surrounding countryside to join up with the righteous forces of the Duke, to be led forth to liberate Islay and Hafne Keep from the reckless Clansmen who had recently, in what was rumored to be a bout of mass drunkennness, seized control from Count von Bleib-Hier.

The official gathering was scheduled for Tradetide, but many of the not-so-well-off had shown up early to get first dibs at the free food. And of course a flurry of servants was about, seeing to the needs of the wealthier conscripts.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

Kelsyk stepped off the ship and paused for a moment. He looked around, taking in his first view of Dort. For several marks he just wandered around, looking at Dort.

After wandering around he asked a passing merchant where the muster was happening. Getting directions he headed in that direction. Kelsyk arrived a little bit before Tradetide.

Wow, this is a lot of mercenaries. I didn't realize so many mercenaries were hired. Well better find some spot to wait and listen to what this duke has got to say. Kelsyk adjusted his back back before he walked off into the crowd to get close to the duke so he could hear him. As he wove his way through the crowd he looked around, trying to find the duke's standard. Okay, now which one of all these flags is the duke's. Well I would say the biggest and grandest, so that one. Looking around he saw the biggest of the flags, and started weaving his way towards it.

Post by Guest »

There were all manner of standards to be seen: a large banner with a simple golden bowl, a great silvery swirling mass decorated with two charging boars, a simple lacquered shield painted green and decorated with a longbow and three silver flowers was the one nearest Kelsyk.

But none of them stuck out as particularly grand, and Kelsyk was not familiar enough with the heraldic devices to identify which were important or which one might be the duke's.

A young woman was walking past carrying a sturdy basket filled with fruit and fresh bread. She took pity on the passing foreigner.
"Young sir," she spoke as her amber brown eyes caught Kelyk in their sights, "You do appear a little lost. May I ask which village you've come from?"

Post by Guest »

Where is that dukes standard. Being such a powerful, ro rich person he should have a grand standard, yet none of these are really grand. Mabye he isn't as rich as I thought. When he heard the womans voice Kelsyk was startled by the womens, not expecting anyone to be talking to him. He looked around, and spotted the yound woman.

"Uh are you talking to me?" He looked around, seeing that the woman was looking at him and not someone else he guessed she was talking to him. "Village, uh. Well I got hired by a guy in the Citadel."
Last edited by Guest on Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

"So it's true: they've brought in mercenaries."
That statement was accompanied by her brows knitting together in thought and a brief, unpleasant frown. But, being a polite woman of Dort, she soon returned to her earlier sunny disposition.

"Then you are a guest on our isle. Allow me to welcome you: I am Tera. Will you come enjoy some of the lunch I am bringing to my brother?"
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

Gavin was finally able to prepare himself right. After all the previous mishaps, being in armor felt nicely comforting. Although it chafed him somewhat. But, the Guards at the Castle taught him a few tricks about how it should be done, so after a few adjustment it felt more in place now.

He made quite an imposing sight. With his beard and moustaches covering most of his face, his eyes drew most of the attention. And their attention was on the crowd as he walked pass.

His dark grey armor was not shiny like a knights. It looked rather used and abused, but quite functional. And he liked it that way. The surfaces were not polished, because that would mean he would have to rub it regularly. And he did not like that. A mere cleaning now and then was all it needed. And anyways in the field, a reflection was not something that won the battles.

He remembered the Count's banner from the time he spent at the Castle and went straight there. Although he had a bad feeling about this whole affair, he gave his word to the Count and he would keep it. Wondering briefly where Abner was, the big guy just strode towards the Counts banner thinking about the future war and wondering if it could be resolved peacefully.

Vaga said that the attack at the peace council was unheard of and Gavin agreed. He did not know much of the Clansmen, but he knew they were honorable. They would not attack unless clearly provoked. That meant there was a third party involved. He just wished he had more time to find out.

Well, maybe on the way there he could talk with the soldiers some more.
FORTH they went, the troubled two
To see the world and kick ass too!
[b]Syrawenn and Gavin Saga, Verse 1-2[/b]

Post by Guest »

As Gavin passed through the gathering troops, he was able to witness a variety of forces: a large force of what looked to be professional mercenaries was gathered under the banners of several merchant houses, a few hundred farmboys and hunters carrying either homemade weapons or weapons that had not seen use for a generation or more - with the exception of a small, disciplined looking unit of archers, the small group of loyalist clansmen and family retainers that COunt Johan had brought with him from Hafne, and a large number of warriors wearing the uniform of the Dort Defenders. These last were gathered under the banner of the duke: a simple bowl of soup on a gold backround. A handful of half-giants wearing great helms seemed to be in charge of the Defenders.
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

Gavin walked past the groups of peasants and smiled. He could not believe it, but only a few week earlier he was just like that. But, so many things happened that he was now a different man. Harder. Stronger. And wiser. At least he hoped he was wiser, as a small wave of anger washed over him when he remembered the incident with the small black stone. Never again will he be fooled by soft words and pleas for help.

Noting the position of Count's troops, Gavin decided to take a walk through the crowd and see if there were any promising men among the new recruits. He hoped he could find a few that were worth something and see if he could help them along. He was especially looking for archers and hunters.

Post by Guest »

She doesn't seem too happy that this duke person has been hiring mercenaries. I wonder why she doesn't approve of the mercenaries. Probably she thinks the people of Dort don't need extra help from mercenaries. Oh well. I should probably talk to some of them see if they know anything. The offer of lunch does sound good, I am pretty hungry.

"Thanks for the offer of lunch, I would be happy to join you for lunch. I am Kelsyk. So uh, who is your brother any way? Is he a nobility or something?"

Kelsyk looked around, eyeing the other mercenaries. He looked for any familiar faces in the crowd. He hoped that someone might recognize him, maybe former friends, or associates.
Phillinie

Phillinie arrives at the muster

Post by Phillinie »

Phillinie arrived at the muster location and took in all of the bustling activity. He has spent the morning making sure all of his equipment was in good shape and his outfit was in good repair. There would be many potential contacts and he wanted to make a good impression. He also hoped that the time he spent with other “volunteers” at the Drunken Duck would prove beneficial. The banners were flowing in the light breeze and Phillinie examined the markings as he walked across the field. He attempted to match the symbols and colors to those mentioned previously. He also noted their locations to each other since that sometimes would indicate the relationships between the different groups.

Post by Guest »

Kelsyk
Tera laughed - not the tittery laugh of a flirting girl, but the hearty laugh of one who enjoyed the fullness of life and a down-to-earth attitude.
"Nobility? Hardly. Although he is ambitious. Come with me, sir, I'll introduce you."

She led Kelsyk over to the green shield standard where a group of twenty or so archers were gathered. A young man with dark eyes and curiously shorn hair greeted Tera with a brief hug. The family resemblance was apparent; but, where Tera was earthy and comfortable, her brother had a haunted look to him that hinted of great loss.
"Tera, how kind of you to distract me from my men's irritability for a few burns."
He looked Kelsyk over casually, somewhat surprised at the additional company.
"And who might we have here? You've been recruiting for me?"

"Not at all Will. This fellow seemed a bit adrift. Apparently the merchants will pay to ship warriors here, but the effort stops before actually telling them where to go."

The green-cloaked man took a closer look at Kelsyk.
"Greetings, sir. I am Will, leader of this little unit. Who might I have the honor of meeting?"

Gavin
There was a small unit of archers nearby. They stood near the standard of a bow mounted upon a simple green shield and wore half-cloaks of a mossy green fabric. A young man with close-cropped hair seemed to be in charge. As Gavin approached, he broke away from the men to greet a young woman carrying a large basket and a well-armed, if short, mercenary.

Phillinie
There were many groups gathering. A wide variety in number, arms and clothing. They seemed to fall into three different groups: the large well-armed professional troops falling into formation beneath the banner of Dort, an equally large if undisciplined looking number of mercenaries gathered in seemingly random clusters, and the plain-garbed villagers and farmers who might well have never lifted a weapon answering their country’s call to battle.
Phillinie

Phil heads toward the merc groups..

Post by Phillinie »

Phil looked across the field. I’d be a bit out of place with those, he said to himself as he viewed the formations of troops under the Duke’s banner. Even the obviously lesser trained young lord’s assembly were putting on a good air of professionalism. He then looked over to the commoners muddling in the field with their makeshift weapons. Those are likely just to be fodder and not long for the battle, he mused. Well from sailor to mercenary, not much of a change other than the footing I guess. He started over to the group of miss-matched professionals. Let’s see if I can’t make a few acquaintances or maybe even a little workout to stretch the old muscles before they get us organized.
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

Gavin pondered his next move for a moment before he approached the group of archers. 'What to say?' He decided the truth would be best. He needed men for a little something he had in mind. The war was not a good thing at any time, but his vision made him think that doubly so.

With a deep breath to get his bearing he approached the man talking to a woman and some short mercenary. A single cough to announce his presence he waited patiently for the conversation to end.

"Excuse me, but I am right to presume that you are in charge of these bowmen? My name is Gavin, and I'd like a word with you. I work for the Count von Bleib-Hier."
Last edited by Gavin Tylvan on Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:46 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post by Guest »

Phillinie
One small group of men had decided that it was a fine time for a bit o' the drink. A little Islay Whisky to put 'em in the proper spirit. A short man dressed in odd loose-fitting pants and a funny hat was filling cups from a small liquor keg. Someone else in the vicinity was strumming a musical instrument while his fellows competed at creating bawdy or gory rhymes.

In another spot a small group were sparring with thin wooden clubs. They had the look of farmers about them, but the way they danced through the movements of battle had a unique grace to it. An older man sat on the end of a wagon. He looked as though he might have seen many battles, but he did not seem dressed for one. A large grey bird was perched on his wrist.

Gavin and Kelsyk
Will looked up at the large armored man who approached.
"Ah, I'd thought to get a bit of lunch in me first. But I've time for a few words if you like."

"Tera, and friend," he bowed to Kelsyk, "if you'll excuse me for a burn or two."
He then stepped a few paces away from both his men and his sister to confer with Gavin in private.
"Well met, Master Gavin. I am Will, Captain of these men of Woodmarch. I've a few questions for the Count myself."

Post by Guest »

Kelsyk was a bit surprised by this man just walking up and demanding a word. He looked at the two men a few paces away talking together, before turning back to Tera.

"I don't think I made much impression on your brother. So your brother is in command of a unit, I didn't know that. I guess I don't really know much about you. Who is this Count von Bleib-Hier? I haven't heard of him before. And this Gavin do you know who this guy is? I wonder what he wants with your brother?"

I do wonder what he wants with Tera's brother. I hope it's nothing bad, those two seem pretty nice, well Tera does at least. I should probably go over and see what those two are talking about. Maybe I could help them.

"Uh Tera I will be right back, okay."

With that, Kelsyk turned and walked towards the two men, he stopped just before them and waited for an opportunity to get into the conversation.
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

Gavin did not take Captain Will far as he did not want to draw any undue attention. It was not such a secretive affair, but he did not want everyone to know.

"I'll make this short Captain. I have strong suspicions that someone else is trying to stir trouble in Islay. A third party if you'd like. I don't know who that is, but I would like to ask you to keep an eye on other men. I don't want another incident like the one in Hafne involving Clansmen and Count. People are eager for revenge, but if this can be ended peacefuly, I'd like to try it. Can I count on you? And what were those question you wanted to ask?"
Last edited by Gavin Tylvan on Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phillinie

Philline at the Mustere

Post by Phillinie »

While Phil enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere of singing and drinking, it did not quite fit the mood of the mustering of the troops. As he walked across the field toward the curious man with the bird, he took the time to observe what appeared to be field hands going through their exercises. Their thin wooden clubs looked like a good substitution for blades. The style intrigued him but he did not want to disturb their practice.

Maybe I was a bit hasty with my assessment of battle fodder. These gentlemen move pretty well and with style. I will talk with them when they have finished. He thought to himself.

He proceeded toward the wagon where the elder gentleman sat. He studied the bird briefly wondering if it was used in battle or for messages. He had heard of men using animals in battle but with the exception for dogs and horses had never seen any.

“Good afternoon to you and your bird sir,” Phil said attempting to start a casual conversation and acknowledging his companion. “I can’t help but notice that this does not look like your first call to arms. This is my first muster. Do you know how they organize the newly enrolled?”

Post by Guest »

Enzirou located the muster and looked around he saw many other hired warriors."I wonder where I'm supposed go to next" he said to himself.He slowly began to make his way through the crowds of bustling people.
Anarión Herunna

Post by Anarión Herunna »

OOC: Everybody

I'll be taking over this thread. Allow me a couple of days to read up and consult with Scy about your future. It may take a couple of days.

AND give a big hand to Scy for his work in Dort as a whole and in this particular thread!!!
Anarión Herunna

Gavin and Kelsyk

OOC: Kelsyk, you are close and can hear all of this. Will is talking to Gavin and they haven't noticed you.

IC: Will shrugged his head. He listened to Gavin's inquiry and statement and nodded now and then. The entire facade indicated agreement, yet there was something else. An unknowing appearance was just underneath the collected surface of the leader of the archers.

"I concur, Gavin. I do not serve directly under Count von Bleib-Hier. I came here to protect the interest of the Dortenese citizens. War will not help either party. Do you have the authority to bring peace, Gavin? I would welcome it. My men have seen battle before - they are quite experienced. Then again, wives and children are waiting for them. My questions are not the same, still they are equal to those you ask. There have been strange forbodings. A dragon sailing on the winds. Strange tales of fiery beasts in the forests attacking both the herds and stray people. What can we learn from these signs?" Will conceded. A hopeless appearance scintillated across the face of the human. He quickly regained his composure and shrugged his shoulders. Will gripped his bow and tried to curve his lips encourigangly.

"What say ye, Gavin sent from Count von Bleib-Hier? I trust his judgement and we must protect our interest. On the other hand, what can we benefit from this war?"
Anarión Herunna

Phillnie

"Howda ye do, newcomer? Welcome to the proud army. Organize ye say? Don't really know much about organizing. Men gather in smaller companies and choose their own leaders so far. Perhaps when the real leaders make their infamous later appearance they will call together the leaders. But what do I know? I am just an ol' man with a bird? Just like you put it," the ol' man with the bird answered. He tickled the bird under its beak. The next flicker he pointed to another man in the group - this particular fell' without a bird on his wrist.

"I lead this band, and I can always use another trained pair of hands. Prove yourself, and perhaps I may let you join our cluster. Take on Sharma over there. Keep him from killing you, and you have performed well. SHARMA???!!!" The ol' man yelled and the other fella' turned around. His face was scarred with five differe scars. Down his nose, down his cheeks, on his forehead and chin and across the neck. What was not covered with scars, was decorated with tattooes. Circles and intricate lines.

Sharma lumbered towards them. He tapped a treesword in his hand. Thud. Thud. Thud. "Uhh? Ish wan?" That were the only thing that came from him, and the ol' man smiled and nodded.
Anarión Herunna

Enzirou

There were several clusters and smaller groups. In between these Enzirou wandered. There were tiny roads running up and down and between the groups. Messengers and other newcomers were travelling to and from and banners fluttered in the morning.

On a hill nearby sat an ol' man with a bird twitching on his writ and a tall human was standing next to him. A colossal was walking up to the to them. He beamed at the pair and in his hands were a practice-sword of tree.

Enzirou was torn from his thoughts when a child bumped into him. The adolescent stared up at Enzirou with a pile of swords and other weapons in his arms. "Mister. Where are you going to?"
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

Pondering a moment Gavin decided it was time for him to test what effect would the badge Steward gave him have on the people of Dort. And this Captain Will was as good a test subject as any.

"Well, I don't know if you would call this an authority." - Gavin said as he showed Captain the gold badge he fished from his pocket. - "This marks me Duke's man and gives me authority to ask for assistance in the matter concerning safety of the Duke and his people. Those omens you talk about are only a part of what has been happening. I can not tell you all I know, but you forgot about the Boat crash a few days past. A ship sailed into harbor with everyone dead from some strange disease and the only survivor screaming something about revenge from the Anasis. Then there was the plague. And the attempt on Count's life by the now dead assassins. I was present both at boat crash and when the assassins struck and I may have been with the Count when he went to Hafne have I not been injured during that same attack."

Gavin was not really paying much attention to the people around them, although his voice was not lowered. But, he could be heard if anyone stopped and listened.

"Now, I am not a superstitious man, but after all the things I saw, I don't take anything for granted. There are even old prophecies concerning these times and all things that are happening point to the fact that these are true. They speak of a great war and great slaughter. And I don't want to be responsible for any of those. So, keep and eye out for anything strange and try to be calm. I am sure the Count understands the dangers of war and I'll be sure to point it out to him many more times on our way to Hafne. If I can do anything there will be no war. Unless we find those responsible for the entire affair. Then, I hope they made peace with the Gods, for there will be death aplenty."

OOC: Kelsyk, feel free to jump in the conversation at any time. Gavin won't bite.
Last edited by Gavin Tylvan on Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

Enzirou was staring into the mass of people wondering what to do next,he was then shaken out of his thought's by the youth who had bumped into him. Enzirou looked at the adolescent and then the swords,"I wonder what this young man is doing with all of these practice swords"he said to himself.He then was taken out of his thoughts by the youth's question,"Well actually I've just signed up to join a battle and now I'm not sure where to go so I'm hoping to bump into someone who does".
Anarión Herunna

Gavin (and Kelsyk)
OOC: Not bite? Really? That's not what the hole in my side says. :icecream: Hey, don't you be looking at me that way now, Gavin!!!

The man reacted alright. Will clapped a hand onto the leather-strapped hilt and began to hrumph loudly. "Well. I know the sign, Gavin associated with Count von Bleib-Hier, and it is only carried by those whom the Count has placed his trust with. I take it you have done something remarkable do earn his trust. Perhaps later you will tell me about it, ehh?" Will said and a grin was carved on his facade. He even blinked and placed a hand on Gavin's hand which held the badge. "Now, put that away. A shiny thing like that might also attrackt attention from the wrong people - and I don't mean thieves and that sort."

Gavin might not have noticed, but Kelsyk surely did. A couple of bowmen and other ruffians began to pay more attention to the group of three now and a man with a large, black beard and nimble fingers carelessly pointed to them and exchanged a couple of phrases with his colleague - a thin man with a bald head and white skin.

"Be sure to tell him about the dangers and grave consequences of a full-scale war. I have experienced it first-hand myself, and this muster draws back awful memories I thought I had forgotten. Tomorrow we might not live any longer. Tell the Count, though I am sure he knows of it and can see no other way out of this than a war with the clansmen," Will admitted. He leant on his bow and his other hand still rested on the hilt of his sword. A distant veil flashed over his eyes in an instant before he returned to his usual self. "Yes, most disturbing memories. And the boat with the dead? I have not heard of it, yet it only adds to the strange omens lately."

Will did not notice the unwanted attention either - he did though know the importance of such a badge. "I would perhaps save that for later. When it is needed more. I am at your service, Gavin helper of Count von Bleib-Hier. What can I do you for?" The leader of the small pack asked politely. His attitude towards Gavin had not changed much subsequent to the showing of the bagde, except for perhaps the obidience. Will was not a man easily intimidated though, and respected action and not words - or badges for that sake.

Return to “Dort Archive”