The Muster (Open!)

Moderators: Vanadius, Mods

Anarión Herunna

Post by Anarión Herunna »

Enzirou

The child looked at him in wonder. "But, mister, you bumped into me now didn' you? I'll help you if you help me. I work for that man over there," underneath the stack of weapons a small hand appeared and a finger pointed to the group on top of the hill, where the aged man was directing orders to a 'Sharma' and another soldier.

"Well, 'is name is Marten. He leads that group of men there. I'll introduce you to him if you like? How 'bout it, mister???" The adolescent asked politely. Suddenly a single knife fell from the large pile, and without warning the child bent forward to pick it up. It ended the way it had to. Bump. Crash. Clunk. All the weapons, be it swords, knives, shields or bows, rolled out of his arms and into another big stack on the ground. A heap of metal and sharp ends.

"Darn, mister. I wish I hadn't done that. Could you help me, mister? I'll introduce you to Marten if you help me?" The youngling pleaded.
Phillinie

Phil excepts the Proposal

Post by Phillinie »

Phill had a feeling of trepidation that he tried not to show in his eyes. Tattooed and scarred men were not strangers to him, but Sharma was obviously well versed in swordplay while he had only a brief introduction. A rite of passage, he thought to himself, not the first time I have had contend with that.

Phill thought about the first day he signed up on the cargo ship leaving Muchislie. He remembered the designated crewmember that came to test his skills. This initiation determined where on the pecking order you would begin and how much additional “testing” he would receive. The weak were quickly weeded out. Phil had taken quite a beating that day but is persistence and a few lucky licks were enough to earn him a beginners respect and forgo daily encounters. I hope I fare at least that well today, he said to himself.

“Well the sword is not really my weapon of choice, favoring slightly closer fighting styles, I will take the challenge and try not to be slain too many times.”

Phill hoped that his martial arts training and minor knowledge of knife fighting would let him keep up a good defense and look for opportunities to get in a good attack. Thoughts were running through his head, If I can get close enough maybe the use of a leg sweep or kick might be unexpected enough to give me one good hit. Main thing is to show persistence and a never say die attitude. That will carry me a long way.

Post by Guest »

Well this is all very interesting. seems like some conspiracy. Not to mention this Gavin guy is some kind of trusted friend of this count. That skinny guy over there, I really don't like the look of him much. He seems a bit too interested in that badge Gavin has. The talk of full scale war, thats definitely interesting, I thought this was just a small fight.

"Uh, excuse me sirs. I couldn't help but over hear a bit of your conversation. You, mr. Gavin seems to have an interesting idea about what is going on around here. You also seems to have ideas on what should be done around here. What do you suggest we do? How do you propose we solve this peacefully?"

OOC: sorry it took so long. I go sick for a while, but am better now.
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

As Kelsyk spoke Gavin's eyes shifted to him. It took him a flicker to realize it was a man who spoke with Will earlier. Is he a friend or a passer by? Can he be trusted? It is too late now. Might as well share the tale with him. Better to do that than let him draw wrong conclusion.

"For now don't do anything openly. Just keep an eye out for anything strange. You might do that as well mister.... I am sorry, but I did not catch your name, though I noticed you spoke to Will before I interrupted you. But, never mind that. Just keep an eye out."

He paused and looked towards the place where Count's banner fluttered in the wind and shook his head.

"I come from Hafne myself and I know the Clansmen. They are proud, but not foolish. This rebellion is not because something said a nasty thing about lady Maeve. There is some real motive behind it. If we can figure out what it is, we can stop the war. Either that or there will be a terrible slaughter. Count has been quite besides himself lately, but he will come to his senses soon."
FORTH they went, the troubled two
To see the world and kick ass too!
[b]Syrawenn and Gavin Saga, Verse 1-2[/b]
Anarión Herunna

Phillnie

The man began to circle Phillnie keeping a safe distance. It was not the first test Sharma had participated in. He knew the danger of a fistfight and being a skillfull fighter he watched Phillnie closely.

A crowd was gathering around the combatants. There were several of those men which already had been standing around the hill. These guys were obviously part of fighters the aged male with the bird led.

Finally Sharma lashed out. He swung the practice-sword aiming for Phillnie's head. It moved quickly and was edging closer and closer to its goal.
Anarión Herunna

Gavin and Kelsyk

Will listened intently to the chatter. He waited for an opportunity to add his own reflections.

"Well said, Gavin. The clansmen are not halfwits. Perhaps it is not the insult, then again perhaps that instigated their will to become an independent country," Will proposed. He scratched his head thoughtfully and cocked it to the right.

The camp was slowly growing around them. More and more people began to come. Dort and the nearby surroundings had yielded many men, though most of them were ordinary farmers or simple street-thugs. Then there were the men which the nobles had brought real warriors though. These fighters were gathered in segregated clusters.

It was still early and many more men would come before the muster was complete and ready to move.
Last edited by Anarión Herunna on Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phillinie

Phill and Sharma sparring

Post by Phillinie »

Phillinie was watching Sharma and circling with him. While they were sizing each other up he had managed to take two of his knives and place them along his forearm. From his at sea experience he had faced sword against knife fighting, and knew the value of being able to protect his forearms in this manner. It also gave him the ability to use the pommel for striking, eliminating the chance of drawing blood on his training partner. Phil was putting his attention on defense to get a feel on how aggressive and eager his opponent was going to be in this exercise. If this man was here to test Phil’s skill level he wanted to make sure that there was room to intensify. On the other hand, if he was here to knock off his head he wanted to keep it on his shoulders.

Phil was oblivious to the gathering crowd. He was concentrating on his opponent. As was want to happen when deep in thought, old melodies from childhood and days at sea would fill his ears. Like a mantra this tended to help him focus however, this was sometimes annoying to the opposition when a snippet or two would pass his lips.

I guess the foreplay is over, he thought to himself as he saw Sharma swinging for his head. Phil moved to the side and prepared to block the blow and counterstrike if an opportunity presented itself. Let the games begin.
Last edited by Phillinie on Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post by Guest »

"So you are suggesting we just wait and see if any weird happens. To me that seems not fast or fast enough. We could be well into this fight before anything strange is happening. Especially if as Will guessed this is a attempt to create a separate country. If were looking for information, I would have started by walking around and talking to some of the other captains. By the way, my name is Kelsyk."

Kelsyk paused, collecting his thoughts. He looked around trying to spot where the bald man and his friend had gotten off to. Should probably say something to Gavin and Will about those two guys. I really didn't like the look of them.

"Also, Gavin when you flashed that badge around a couple of guys starting whispering and paying a lot more attention to us. Two guys especially got my eye, a large guy with a black beard, and a skinny bald guy."

Post by Guest »

Enzirou looked at the youth and smiled,"It's a deal I'll help you pick up all the weapons if you'll introduce me Marten".With that Enzirou began to pick up the weapons which were scattered all over the ground and place them in the adolescents arms.Enzirou then stood up and smiled at the adolescent,"Oh kid i'd like you to stop calling me mister, i'm not that old,my name's Enzirou".
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

Gavin just narrowed his eyes when Kelsyk mentioned those two. He did not turn or seek them. Knowing that they were there was warning enough. With his left had he loosened his sword in its scabbard and behaved as if nothing happened.

"Ah, but Kelsyk my friend, it is already working. Those two may be just the thieves, or they may work for this unseen entity. How would you like to do some work for the Count? Show me where they were. Without pointing. Just explain. Then wait until I leave and follow me. See if they go after me. I'll try to lead them away for some private talk. Once the trouble starts and it will, jump in."

He turned to Will and looked over his crowd of archers.

"Will, could you spare a few men? I'll lead those two into a trap, but just in case. A few of your lads could go with Kelsyk. I think we may be onto something here. And in any case this army would be better of without their kind."
Anarión Herunna

Phillnie

Sharma put all his might into the swing. This was a test, and neither he nor the leader - Marten - would welcome anything less than an able fighter into the group. Just think of the damaging consequences it might have to accept a fearful and helpless man. All these considerings went into the strike. Nothing to spare now; Marten expected him to scare off the unuseful recruits.

The practice-sword edged closer and closer. It flew.

Phillnie was quick and his experience from earlier combats, on the sea and yesterday with Ymir, helped him avoid the strike. The former seaman jumped out of harm's way. It seemed perhaps like flickers turned into burns - several burns before the practice-sword impacted on Phillnie's block. Although it only hit Phillnie's arm (OOC: I am assuming you are blocking with your arm - knives included) pain and numbness occured immediately upon the impact. The strike migth not have gotten the best of him, but the power behind it forced him backwards and into the arms of bystander. The crowd moved away quickly and the battle continued.

"Ahhh... Cm 'n! Brng t," Sharma exclaimed and lunged forward with his practice-sword high over his head ready to descend upon Phillnie's unprotected head.
Anarión Herunna

Gavin and Kelsyk

"I will spare the men," Will nodded and turned around to fetch them. He returned quickly with four able men, armed and ready for combat. Their grizzled appearances gave them away and these men could be nothing but the most experienced warriors in Will's group.

"Odd, Huron, Magat, Yuri. This is Gavin and Kelsyk. They need your help. So - help them. Kelsyk - you are in charge unless with Gavin," Will put a hand on Kelsyk's shoulder and gave him an assuring look.

The pair of onlookers, which Kelsyk had spotted earlier, were still seated undisturbed and very obviously uninterested in Gavin and his comrades. The skinny man exchanged a couple of phrases with his black-bearded companion and unsheeted a knife only to start cleaning his nails. The black-bearded friend was not so unconscious about the ongoings. Every now and then he lifted his head and stared up at Gavin and Kelsyk and Will.

Will did nothing to attract the attention of the pair and instead gave Kelsyk a final warning. "And Kelsyk. Return them to me unharmed. I cannot fare well in the coming battle without them. UNHARMED, you hear me!"
Anarión Herunna

Enzirou

"Enzirou it is then, mister," the adolescent exclaimed and returned the smile. He gratefully allowed Enzirou to pick up most of the burden and himself picked up the remaining pieces. With all of the weapons in his arms again he whistled a short tune before he began to walk forward with Enzirou.

"Okay. Let us go then, mister... Enzirou, mister," the shy kid said and began to lead Enzirou up the hill and towards Marten and the pair of combatants. The large and armed man appeared to have the advantage and forced the apparently unarmed opponent backwards. Now he raised his training-sword and lunged forward ready to finish the enjoyable fight.

The boy and Enzirou quickly came to the wagon where Marten was seated. The aged male exchanged looks with the adolescent and tossed him a coin. "Well. What have ye here, ehh, Jonah? Another soldier for me? Is he any good, Jonah? What can I do ye for, soldier?" Marten asked Enzirou.
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

Now Gavin felt much better. The men looked like the ones he needed and although he would have preferred if Will went instead of Kelsyk he knew his chances were much better now.

"All right, men. The plan is simple. There are a couple of gentlemen who might be looking to start a trouble with me. Whether they are simple thieves or traitors remains to be seen. I'll point them out to you, but remain calm and don't draw too much attention."

Gavin turned and looked as he was searching for something and then pointed in the direction of Count Bleib-hier's banner. The move was meant merely to give him an opportunity to locate the pair he was trying to point out. He turned back to the group and proceeded.

"The ones I am talking about are behind me and slightly to my right. The skinny one and the one with the beard. One is cleaning his fingernails with a knife. Your duty is simple. I shall leave in a moment and I presume they will follow me. I want you to follow them. Once we are out of the crowd, I'll take them somewhere quiet where we can capture them. But, if the situation turns bad, take no chances. All right?"

With that he let out a laugh and waved them all off. It was just for show, but he needed it to look genuine. At least from a distance. Turning he seemed puzzled where to go next and then proceeded through the mass of soldiers towards the edge of the crowd. He planned to go find a small copse of trees or something like that and let the pair follow him to it.
Anarión Herunna

Gavin and Kelsyk

The foursome nodded and indicated they had comprehended which men Gavin was talking about. The soldiers said farewell to their leader - Will - and the latter walked in the opposite direction of Gavin. He joined his other men and turned his attention elsewhere. Gavin and Kelsyk were now responsible for the safety of his men.

Gavin descended the hill and quickly made his way through the crowd. There were men everywhere. Newcomers joined the ranks and were trying to find their place in the muster. Then there were ranking representatives trying to create some sort of order in the disorder. Up until this point they were more or less unsuccessfull, yet there were smaller or larger clusters gathering amongst the men.

At first it seemed the pair of suspects were not going to follow. The black-bearded bear pointed carelessly to Gavin. The skinny male just pushed the hand down and looked uninterested. When Gavin was almost inside the gathering, he rose quickly and dragged the colossal with him after Gavin.

Gavin walked through the crowd. The muster was surrounded by a vast cloack of green. Trees all around the muster. It would not be difficult for Gavin to find a place where he could undisturbed try to question the pair.

Post by Guest »

As Enzirou strode up the hill a flock birds took off in front of him in a flurry of black and white feathers.Enzirou looked at Marten and smiled, "Finally i'm making some progress"he said to himself."Well I've signed up to fight in war and I'm not sure where I should be going next" he said to Marten with some dismay.
Phillinie

Sharma and Phillinie

Post by Phillinie »

OOC (Since I am new to this, I do not know how much actions I can attribute to Sharma, or the crowd. My current assumption is to describe only my character and his actions.)

IC
It was clear to Phillinie that this was to be a serious battle and not just a test of his skills. Phil could hold his own in a fight but it was always best when these things ended quickly. The force of the initial blow was impressive and the numbness in his arm from blocking such force was to be expected, but it made his left arm less effective until it had time to recover.

The bystander holding Philline pushed him back into the ring. Phil used the push to fain being off balance. He half stumbled forward and went down in a forward roll. Coming out of the roll he flicked his wrist and flew his dagger toward the unprotected stomach of his opponent. The thought was to send the pommel into the sternum of his opponent. At a minimum this would distract Sharma, if a direct hit it should knock the wind out of him. Jumping up he continued his forward momentum and switched his remaining blade to his right hand where it would be more effective. When the opportunity would present itself, he would pull another knife for his left. His movements took him to the right side of his opponent where he readied for his next attack.

Post by Guest »

Kelsyk watched as Gavin walked down the hill towards the trees. He glanced over, waiting for the two suspects to get up and follow. As they got up he looked back at the four men from Will's group.

"Okay now we go. Don't follow these guy too closely, we don't want them to know we are following them. We should probably spread out a bit. Let's hope Krynsathis gives us a bit of luck and we catch these guys."

With that Kelsyk turned a started heading after the two suspects. He tried to stay hidden from their view in case either of them looked back. As he followed he checked to make sure his daggers we still attached and ready to go. I hope these guys are reasonable, and willing to surrender, but better be prepared for the worst. I did everything I could, now all I need is a bit of luck.
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

Gavin did not really need to look back as he moved through the crowd. He stopped a few times seemingly to look at a few groups of soldiers that were doing some sword practice, but it was merely a ruse not to leave the two man he hoped were following him to suspicious.

He tried not too search for them and fairly succeeded in that. His eyes wandered to the side a few times, but he managed to keep his gaze at the soldiers he was watching. It was a good four of five burns before he left the crowd and started towards the woods.

He did not move in a straight line, but instead seemed to be looking for an appropriate spot to have some privacy. He searched for a trail that would lead him a bit into the woods. The plan was to move a bit into the woods and then to hide behind the tree and wait for his pursuers to show up. Presuming they indeed followed him.
Anarión Herunna

Enzirou

Marten eyed Enzirou suspiciously. An appraising look from head to toe. Then he jumped down from the cart where he had conveniently been seated, enjoying the fight between the beastial man, Sharma, and the newcomer, Phillnie. Marten began to walk up and down behind the crowd with a finger pressed to his chin. The squinting eyes carefully measured the large figure now wanting to fight the war with him, and the large beek oddly placed in the middle of his face hizzed strangely.

"So, ye 'ave come to fight the war, 'ave ye...," Marten let a couple of flickers to pass to permit Enzirou to introduce himself. He rubbed his enormous nose on the tip and stopped his constant stride. "There be many newcomers wantin' to join me group. Looky there." He said pointing to Phillnie who at the same moment was rolling forward to stun Sharma in the abdomen.

"Now 'e wants to join too. I guess it would only be fair if I gave you the same chance to fight Sharma. Give 'im a couple of flickers and 'e'll be done with the fledgling. Tell me, stranger, what do you know of war and what can ye 'elp me with?"
Anarión Herunna

Phillnie

It was a nicely executed move. The imbalance and the subsequent tumble and the flick of a knife towards the abdomen. Phillnie was quick and agile and towards a bigger opponent (like Sharma) he would have to depend on pace and manoueverability.

Sharma though was an experienced fighter and albeit the counter-attack might have mislead him he was still quick enough to twirl away from the dagger threatening his stomach. The man whirled to the right and Phillnie only touched him with the weapon.

The practice-sword, which only flickers ago had been bound for Phillnie's vulnerable head and earthly character now impacted on the soil beneath them. Dirt and weed was thrown in almost every direction due to the powerful hit. Sharma did not go easy on the new recruit. He jumped around to face Phill again with the tip of his practice-sword poiting downwards. "Uhhh... 'ice muv, ye rat. Now 'ome get e'." Sharma waited for Phillnie with his legs spread wide and the tip vibrating in the cold breezze.
Anarión Herunna

Kelsyk

The men spread out to avoid getting detected and did it perfectly according with Kelsyk's orders. These soldiers were trained and executed the order with perfection. Close, but not that close, the four of them began to descend after the blond-haired male and black-bearded companion followed Gavin.

Kelsyk did not need to worry though. The suspects were oblivious of whatever came behind them and instead trotted after Gavin without knowing of the danger which came behind them. Carefully the pair danced their way through the myriad of soldiers and equipment and quickly came through on the other side of the muster where the soldiers did not store their supplies nor venture.

There Gavin had just entered the foresty hill, so the pair quickly increased their tempo and walked quickly into the bushes and entangling branches which hid them from the view of their pursuers. Kelsyk and the four men were still at the bottom of the hill, just outside of the camp when the suspects were hidden inside behind a veil of green leaves and brown and ominous growth.
Anarión Herunna

Gavin

The blond-haired suspect and the black-bearded colleague simply came after Gavin. Although the men attempted to keep a fair interval between themself and him, it proved to be of no real difficulty to Gavin to avoid their suspicion. The men lumbered forward, pursuing Gavin with the utmost determination.

Well inside the small grove, Gavin was unable to find any real trail. The bush was thick, and he was not capable of seeing very far either in front or back. The pursuers were now galumphing forward through the hindrance which the trees and branches supplied. They were very close to Gavin now.

Just after Gavin hid behind a large oak in the end of a very small clearing, the blond-haired pursuer barged through the thick veil quickly ensued by his comrade the black-bearded giant.

"Uhhhmmff... 'ere did 'e go???" The colossal muttered through a mouthful of leaves which had somehow found its way into his open mush.

"He has to be here somewhere! He can't just disappear like that. You - go look over there!!!" The smaller man pointed to the right; not so far from where Gavin hid behind the tree.

Post by Guest »

Enzirou realised that he had not given his name to the man who stood before him,"forgive me for my earlier rudeness sir my name is Enzirou, I do not no much of war but I have been trained for battle since I was young, my skills are still in their raw stages but I can still handle most opponents" he said with a soft yet strong voice .He paused for a brief moment as some old memories came rushing back and said "I would like to test my skills on the battle field to see what I can learn and improve."

He then looked will at Marten with pleading eyes.Thoughts rushed through Enzirou's head, "Will Marten allow me to join his group will my skills be enough,can fight and use what my mother taught me,on the battlefield?".Doubt and worry surged through Enzirou's veins as he waited for Martens answer.

Post by Guest »

Good, they didn't seem to see us. THey didn't even look back.Kelsyk walked a bit faster as he got to the bottom of the hill. He headed straight for where the two suspects had entered the forest.

Kelsyk turned to his four partners. "We should try to surround them. Two of you go around to the left. The other two go right. Try not to be heard as you surround them."

Just before he entered the forested area he slowed down. He tried hard to move quietly and not be heard. Hopefully these guys won't see me and I can sneak up on them. Once I get to them should I just jump them? Probably best to follow gavins lead on this one. As he entered the forest Kelsyk drew his two daggers and readied himself for the coming fight. His two daggers glinted slightly in the sunlight. The inlaid gold really stood out from the rest of the blades. First time these blades will ever have been used. I think, maybe I used them from before my memory loss. Either way, I hope they do well now.

Return to “Dort Archive”