The Oaken Gates to the Citadel

Moderator: Mods

Post by Guest »

For some time Keaira hardly even noticed the man in front of her, let alone payed any heed to his glances. As the line moved forward, so did she, shuffling one leather-clad foot in front of the other and stopping when she saw the man in front of her stop out of the corning of her eye. Her sensitive nose could smell him, but she was used to the scent of sweat; however, since she was watching his procession in front of her, she finally noticed the frequent turning of his head. Keaira kept quiet, however, until he finally spoke to her.

Turning her head downward, Keaira gazed at the man with depthless blue eyes, which swept briefly over him--not in a critical or examining manner, but just a glance. Despite the fact that she did not exactly find him pleasant to look at, she offered a friendly smile nonetheless. "No, sir." She offered no more explanation than that. Keaira figured that if he was so very curious, he would inquire further. Her gaze swept upward again, the early sunlight reflecting off of her pale skin. Lifting a hand to shield her eyes, Keaira sighed softly again.

Post by Guest »

“Ah perhaps you’ve come for the Dinner then. Some young Lady, gone wandering and come home to embarrass her family at the Caesar’s betrothal.”
The man cackled at his own jest.
“Just joking, lass. You’re far too well-mannered to be a young noble. Although it would serve you better to contribute more than two words to passing the time with a fellow traveller.”

“So. Not visiting family... You’ve come looking for work perhaps?”
He leaned in close toward Keaira.
“I may be able to help you there- I’ve many contacts in Citadel.”

(OOC: My apologies for the delay.)

Post by Guest »

His jesting caused a gentle smile to settle comfortably upon her pale lips. He might be ugly and smelly, but he seemed a decent person. Turning her head back downward so that she might look at him again, Keaira stared right into his eyes as he spoke. Had he given her the chance, she would have apologized for her lack of conversation. After all, she wasn't very good at it.

Keaira was soon distracted from that thought, however, when he spoke of being able to help her with finding work. Somehow, she doubted that, but she was willing to try anyhow. With the prospect of the Rose Guild shut to her, Keaira was worried about her options. A gentle sigh was the only sign of her stress. "I came here in the hopes of becoming a companion. I didn't know that the Rose Guild had shut its doors.." The pout threatened to return to her lips as the lower stuck out a bit. "I don't know what I'm going to do now."

(OOC: No problem. ^_^)
Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Post by Maeve »

OOC: This tread is temporarily claimed by the Modding Seminar. Scytale, you can finish Keaira's posts, but please leave the next player to the seminar student, until I give back this thread. Welcome to Ord :)
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]

Post by Guest »

OOC:
Welcome, Ord! Hope you have as much fun at the gates as I have. :)
*Hands over the gate keys*

Keaira
Please continue here.

Post by Guest »

OOC: Thank you very much Scytale and congrats on becoming a mod! :D

*takes gate keys, puffs up chest, and looks suspicously at the horizon*
Finak

Finak Arrives

Post by Finak »

“Wow, the oaken gates are impressive,” Finak said under his breath to no one in particular as he began the final few steps of his journey to the Citadel. The cool breeze felt good as did having firm ground under his feet once again. The trip from Dort was enjoyable, but travel by ship was something he was not yet completely accustomed to.

Noticing that he was now standing and gawking at the gate and walls of the city, Finak snapped his mouth shut and looked around at the others moving in the same direction hoping that none had thought him a young peasant who had never seen anything like this before. After all, he had passed through the gates of Dort many a time in his days growing up there. With a resolve to not look like a complete fool, Finak started walking towards the gate and whatever this new city would bring.

Post by Guest »

OOC: Welcome Finak! :) If you didn’t catch it from the above posts, I’m temporarily modding this thread as part of the seminar. If you have questions feel free to PM me.

Samheen 18, Morningtide

Finak merged with the throng of entrants to the mighty Citadel. As he glanced over the crowd, he noticed he wasn’t the only one impressed by the majesty of the gates. Other citizens, peasants and traders alike, seemed awed by the grandeur. Few though, noticed Finak’s reaction. He was just another face in the crowd.

A squat guard looked up as the lanky young man approached. The smirk on his face showed that Finak had been caught gawking.

Shifting the bulk of his gut over his belt, the guard nodded and smiled to Finak. “So, first time to the big city, eh” stated the guard. His tone was condescending but not pompous and he did not wait for a response.

“Well, it’s a big place and I’m sure you’ll have fun. I’ll need your name, place of origin and reason for visiting.” The guard looked knowingly at Finak and waited for a response.

Post by Guest »

Bonanza and booze, those are some gates, thought a little gnome incredulously as he approached the oaken gates of the Citadel. Brako Chompachomp Lynn felt a steady, rhythmic beating in his head. Chomp-a-chomp-a-chomp-a-chomp-a-chomp-a-chomp. The alchymist was familiar with that inside throbbing. It spoke of excitement and thrill, and, taken into account the strength of the continuous pounding, he was indeed quite confuzzled his eyes did not accordingly bulge and withdraw, not to mention his nostrils becoming victim to a rhythmic widening and closing.

Unconsciously, with a somewhat inward glance, Chompachomp oddly began doing just that to the steady beat inside his head. Chomp-a-chomp-a-chomp-a-chomp-a-chomp-a-chomp. Eyes bulge, nostrils open, eyes withdraw, nostrils close, eyes bulge, nostrils open, eyes withdraw, nostrils close... Not at all that oddly, it give the little gnome a rather odd look as he seemed to be performing some sort of breathing exercise. But enough of oddities. Oddly, thought Chompachomp, unless you are just a little odd you are considered odd because you are not odd, if you are a little odd, well, then you are a little odd, and if you are very odd, then you are certainly odd. The alchymist scratched his chin as he thought of this. Bonanza and booze, that's odd in itself. The whole thought is odd. Satisfied with (oddly) concluding everything was odd, Chompachomp rather continued his grimacing.

So this was the Citadel. Where Chompachomp would blossom in an excellent career of alchemy, his expertise profession. He had travelled all the way from Nipponar, across the seas, and was finally arriving in the Citadel. Capital of the Seven Isles. The gnome noticed a rather a lanky young man with a shock of curly blond hair approaching a guard. Bonanza and booze, I guess I shall have to talk to a guard myself. Perhaps I shall do some eavesdropping to find out what they ask...?

Thus, still bulging his eyes and opening and closing his nostrils to the pounding within his head, Chompachomp tried to walk as carelessly as he could up to the guard and the young man. For good measure, he even raised his head in the air and began whistling. However, the practice of breathing sound turned out surprisingly difficult due to the current practice of he locking and unlocking one's nose, and what came out was rather some frog-like squeaks than the beautiful whistling of a lark. Bonanza and booze, thought Chompachomp, did I forget how to whistle? The gnome had yet to notice how features of his head accompanied the throbbing behind his forehead.

But no despair! Chompachomp covered with posing a few well-bred coughs. Indeed, they came out slightly odd as well due to the unusual practice of the gnome's nose, but between them the alchymist was able to catch something about the young man being asked of name and origin and... He traipsed a bit closer to be able to hear properly.

Bonanza and booze, reflected Chompachomp, I had never imagined it being so exhausting to enter gates!
Finak

Finak Arrives

Post by Finak »

Finak’s first impression of the guard was not a good one. Condescending and out of shape were not the most noble of traits in Finak’s mind but in no way did he let those thoughts show in his face. Finak quickly eyed the other guards to see if they all behaved in the same manner or if he was just lucky today.

“My name is,” Finak began and paused to clear his throat and began again in a clear voice. “My name is Finak and I hail from Dort. I am here to visit and possibly seek work within.” Finak stood calmly waiting for a reply from the guard and wondering if whomever was behind him would continue to live after the choking and coughing that had been going on just a moment ago. Finak truly desired to look over his shoulder but thought better of it and focused his mind back to the task of getting into the city.

Post by Guest »

Samheen 18, Morningtide

It must have been Finak’s lucky day. The large form of the guard blocked his path and a small, wheezing, whistling form crowded his space from behind. Glancing over at the other guards, Finak noticed they all seemed much more nonchalant and disinterested in their duties than the one he’d chosen. Or, more accurately, the guard chose him. The man in front of Finak was twice as wide as we was tall. Sweat had begun to dampen his tunic, and from the smell, the man had been too long in the tavern last night.

Though not the most pleasant of sights, the guard’s posture was mostly erect and a serious power rippled through his frame. He was not a man to be trifled with and he knew it. The guard also knew that it was his duty to protect the gates and help the newcomers as best he could. Who else to help the naïve travelers but the honorable guard of the gates? This guard was set on helping Finak whether he wanted it or not.

“Finak from Dort,” the man spoke into his ledger as he wrote. He stretched his words to finish at the same time he stopped writing.

“A tourist looking for work . . .well, it’s not the first time we’ve had those.” The guard leaned closer as he spoke, his hot breath on Finak's cheek. He spoke more like an older brother than a city guard. “What do you want to do first? Visit or Work?

“If it’s visitn’, it’s a good time of year with the ceremonies going on. Have you decided where you want to see yet? If you haven’t, there are plenty of options. As far as work . . .well . . . that always depends on what you can do now doesn’t it? Have you got any special skills?”
Finak

Finak Arrives

Post by Finak »

Thinking the worst, and feeling a bit trapped by the bulk of the guard, the strange noises and the eerie feeling that someone was close behind him, Finak prepared for what he was sure to be an excruciatingly long series of questions about his visiting in the city.

“Visit or work?” Finak thought for a quick moment, relieved that the guard's tone was more welcoming. “To be honest sir,” Finak said with a sheepish grin and a hint of mirth in his eyes, “I had not given that much thought. I do not think an extended search for work will be a priority today, but perhaps tomorrow. I think I would like to first get a feel for the city and what it offers.” Finak hoped that his answer would suffice the guard’s curiosity. He had no desire to announce his intentions for the rest of the day, not that he really had any, to those who might be listening, especially considering the disturbing noises coming from behind him.

“You spoke of ceremonies. Where might those be?” Finak asked the guard, more to move his line of questioning away from work than any interest he might have in ceremonies. Frankly, Finak could think of nothing less appealing that attending a ceremony, even if this was the capital of the kingdom.

Post by Guest »

Samheen 18, Morningtide

A gruff voice hailed the little gnome.

“Excuse me, sir!” declared the guard. With a concerned look on his face, a tall, clean-shaven guard approached Chompachomp. He held is hand to the hilt of sword as he spoke. He was not pleased with the proximity of the gnome to the human in front of him.

The gnome in front of the guard struck him as well . . .odd. He had not seen many gnomes over the yahren but he was not unfamiliar with the race. In the midst of the throng of people stood one of the strangest creatures the he'd ever laid eyes on.

“Can I help you? Do you have business in the city? If so, I’ll need your name, place of origin and your purpose for visiting the Citadel.” His voice was brusque and carried tone of authority and experience. The guard did not seem in the mood for jokes.
Last edited by Guest on Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

Bonanza and booze, the damn fellow saw me, thought Chompachomp. Just then, the throbbing in his head stopped with a long sigh. Chomp-a-chomp-a-chomp-aaaa-chomp-aaaaaaaa-chomp-aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.... It was rather peculiar how the little gnome's nose felt oddly numb, and - indeed - how his eyes didn't feel as if they fit his eyeholes completely. "Bonanza and booze, must be the air!" Chompachomp blurted out to the face of the stern guard.

For a moment Chompachomp only stared at the man. Then he burst out, "No need for excuses, my good man!" The alchymist strode vigourosly up to the guard and took his hand to shake it just as vigorously. Chompachomp knew very well that whether people were in mood for joking or not, a good joke would always make them in mood for jokes. Hmm, somehow that feat of syllogism didn't appear as syllogistic as it was supposed to... well, it was all for the best! This guard needs to be cheered up, Chompachomp resolved, and immediately figured the man surely had a skimpy, sour wife.

"Name's Chompachomp," offered the alchymist with a good share of enthusiasm. "Directly from Nipponar. And my purpose..." Chompachomp pretended to play drums in anticipation of this purpose while looking gleefully up at the guard. "My purpose, except for becoming the most becomed alchymist of the city, is to entertain... you!" The silent drumrolls culminated in an oral fanfare. The man will love this, Chompachomp was confident.

And he produced out of his pockets a nice potion from his home isle. "This," he said with bravado, "is the 'go-hair-with-hair-potion'! Do you," he pointed playfully at the guard while wriggling his little body stupidly, "have a bitter wife at home? Splash this in her hair and it will fall off! Sensational! Absolutely sensational!" Figuring the guard surely needed proper cheer, Chompachomp uncorked the little bottle, and dropped a splash on his moustache. Suddenly, half of it was gone, falling slowly down towards the ground before being caught by the wind!

"Amazing!"

Post by Guest »

Samheen 18, Morningtide - Finak

“Well, son, now that’s fine idea. See the city first. I see you’ve got somewhat of a practical head on yer shoulders. If you’re unfamiliar with the ceremonies, I’d say you probably weren’t invited.” The guard sniffed and shrugged his shoulders. “Not that big of a loss really, most of the good ones are over. You see the Caesar just got betrothed. . .quite an occasion.”

The guard put his hand on Finak’s shoulders and pointed in through the door. “Just inside the gate, there’s a tavern . . .world famous . . .most have heard of it. It’s called the Burpin’ Dragon. I recommend you start there since you’re not looking for work yet. They’re kind to travelers, especially ones that’re new to the Citadel.”

The guard reached a sweaty palm into his portfolio and withdrew a parchment. Grinning broadly, he hand the paper to the young man. “Finak, right? Here’s your city pass, don’t lose it, and remember you have it if you get in any trouble. But of course, we won’t need to worry about that now, will we?” Still grinning, the guard winked and slapped Finak on his back. “Be on your way son.”

OOC: Finak – go ahead and go to the Burpin Dragon. You can create your own post similar to this entry thread (title it Burpin Dragon, Samheen 18, MT - Finak) or a new one just started (link below) with a couple of other players, including a Dortman. Either one is fine.

https://tazlure.nl/board/viewtopic.p ... highlight=

Post by Guest »

Samheen 18, Morningtide - Chompachomp

The guard’s face was both stern and perplexed at the same time.

“I’m not sure I understand what you just said,” stammered the guard. “Bananas and what?” He shook his head, clearly confused at the strange gnome before him.

He cleared his voice and straightened his back but he did look much less alarmed. Rolling his eyes slightly, a small grin crept over under his nose. The guard's hand came away from his weapon and instead came up with a ledger.

“I should have guessed . . . a gnome from Nipponar. I hear they breed them there frequently,” said the guard with droll sarcasm. He looked down and began to write.

“Chompa A. Chomp, is that you’re full name? Odd but,” he looked up, or rather, down from his ledger and nodded. “It fits you.”

“As far as alchemy goes, I have to admit, I don’t know much about it. Alchemy is different than magic, right? So the University of Magicks probably wouldn’t be the place for you. My recommendation is to head for the Burpin Dragon. It’s a good place to meet fellow travelers and I’d bet there’s someone there who might be able to help. And if not, it’s always better to go searching on a full stomach, eh?”

“Here’s a city pass. Keep it with you while you’re inside.” Handing the pass to Chompachomp, he walked away, chuckling softly and shaking his head.

OOC: Chompachomp, go ahead and post an entry thread in the link below. It will take you to a Burpin Dragon thread that just started yesterday. There are a few other players in there already. Please don’t hesitate to PM me if you have questions!

https://tazlure.nl/board/viewtopic.php?t=7121

Post by Guest »

Bonanza and booze!"Odd?!" Chompachomp hollered for all the gates' audience to hear. "Odd!" It was an outrage! It was an absolute outrage! What is odd, guard is that I have yet to pour venom in your ear! I can tell you that my name hails from a most respectable... a most respectable monkey!" He did not care if the guard walked away. Walked away chuckling. He was proud of his name. He was proud of the late Chompachomp. He was a proud gnome proud in his naming after a pround monkey. "Indeed, it fits me!"

Chompachomp was bursting. This was too much. He was a proper aspiring alchymist. To be met with such disrespect. If that guard - or anyone else - dared raise another word about the late monkey Chompachomp's name - his own name, then... The alchymist was as red as could be. He threw the city pass dumped in his hands at the ground. Then he jumped at it. "It fits me, for I am Chompachomp, named in the memory of a monkey with a dozen times the honour of you, guard!" Chompachomp screamed after the man of his full loungs.

Only now did the words of the guard excluding the insults process in Chompachomp's head. Then he realized they also were insults! "So you recommend a burping dragon for me to stay! Burping dragons and Chomp. A. Chomp's, is it? Is it?!" With a final effort, Chompachomp raced after the guard. He was already panting, but if he was able to he would throw his little body over the man in sweet-tasting revenge! As he spurted forward, he licked his leaps... "BONANZA AND BOOZE!" And he was flying through the air...
Last edited by Guest on Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by Guest »

As Chompachomp hollered, faces in the crowd turned toward the ruckus. Peasants, traders, and, of course, guards all wanted to see exactly what was happening. Rarely had they seen such a sight. A three foot tall whirl of moustaches flew threw the air toward a city guardsman.

Had Chompachomp been paying attention to the crowd, he would have heard several gasps and shouts of “No!” or “Watchout!” Regrettably, the rush of air in Chompachomp’s ears kept the warnings from him.

Hitting the guard squarely in the back, Chompachomp heard a muffled “oof” and followed by loud clatter. Both the guard and Chompachomp tumbled into a human and gnome knot. Immediately, the guard disentangled himself and rolled into a defensive position. He was still not sure exactly what had happened, he only knew he’d been attacked.

His instinct for action though was tempered by the sight of four additional guards, all armed and pointing very sharp spears at the bundle of gnomish nuisance before him. Surely, something this small, couldn’t be harmful, especially one that was blind. The guard reached out, gingerly holding Chompachomp’s glasses between his thumb and forefinger.

He stood slowly, hand still on the weapon by his side.

“Well, sir,” said the guard, looking disappointedly at Chompachomp, “I see you’ve made your decision on what you’d like to see first. I think you’ll be pleased. The city jail is one of the best in the Seven Isles.”

OOC: Chompachomp - you've been arrested and taken into custody. Stubborn gnome, indeed! :?
Last edited by Guest on Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Davin Ayloseha

Last off the boat from Dort

Post by Davin Ayloseha »

Samheen 18, Morningtide

Davin trotted off the most recent boat from Dort behind the small boat of people, stopping only a moment to make sure he had tucked his dice away in a small pocket from his most recent magic show. Not a complete success, I'll have to pick up some playing cards...

As he walked toward the beautiful oaken gates the cards pulled his train of thought in the direction of the old man he had buried only months ago in Dort. He thought of all the card tricks the man had shown him but did not regret burying the deck with the old master, along with his other valued possessions that he had wished Davin to take. He thought about the true magick he had shown Davin in the short time before he had died and his true purpose for being here, and wondered that he should be putting on his silly magic shows to drunken sailors at all. After all, his parents had given him their blessing to go and study true magick, grudging though it had been...

His thoughts were interrupted by a howling gnome and he quickened his pace to catch site of the amusing scene. He chuckled and made small talk with a pretty lady, apparently from Dort, about the possibility of gnomes relation to dwarves adding a few slighting remarks he found amusing.

After the scene had settled he made his way to the guard apparently receiving new arrivals. "Davin Ayloseha, magician-extraordinaire", and with an light-hearted bow and smile: "at your service." After smiling again to ensure that the guard was receptive to his playful, friendly greeting, he followed "I look to be a student of the arts my good man, and all I've heard in Dort is of your fine magick establishment here." He raised his eyebrows in question with an honest smile at the guard and awaited his reply.[/b]
Torigm Khace

Post by Torigm Khace »

The guard removed his helm and attached it to his belt. Wiping his brow and puffing from the exertion of dealing with a troublesome gnome, he composed himself before answering, "Ahh, Davin you say, eh? Well, you'll probably be wanting the University no doubt. Have you been to the Citadel before, or do ye knew your way around a bit?"

With one last gusty puff of air, the guard resting a tablet in his hands and made a few marks on it, apparently indicating the visitor and his claimed business.
Davin Ayloseha

Post by Davin Ayloseha »

Davin, upon hearing the guard's question, looked about him at the city walls, the city within and at the clear cool morning sky. "No my good man, I am Dortense, born and raised. I'm sure the University is quite visible but if you'll give me directions for good measure, that'd be great."

Davin nodded to the man and waited.
Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Post by Maeve »

OOC: Torigm will handle any players that have already come in, but after this the thread is run by Madeline as part of the Modding Seminar. Welcome Madeline!
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Torigm Khace

Post by Torigm Khace »

"Certainly the guard jotted a couple things more onto his tablet and attached it to the side of his belt. Allowing another guard to come tot he forefront to check in new arrivals, he led Davin within the gates and pointed towards a collection of buildings whose spires clustered together in great numbers.

"That, my friend, is the University of Magick. I myself have never been over there but I'm told great things go on beyond those walls. Good luck!"

OOC: Davin, you may now post in the University of Magick Entrance Thread
Annabella Rizeria

Post by Annabella Rizeria »

The big oaken gates make both a joy and a shock to Annabella as their size and beauty overwhelm her but she realizes that many trees had to have died in order to make them. Trying to get past these mixed feelings she moves towards the gate and flag down a guard or somebody who can help her.

"I'm here to learn to be a druidess," she says in her most seductive voice.

"Could you direct me to the right place to learn? If you do I can put in a good word with the Ceaser."
Last edited by Annabella Rizeria on Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
Madeline

Post by Madeline »

Samheen 18th tradetide

A cool breeze gave respite to weary guards at the Citadel Gates that day; a refreshment much needed, many had celebrated too hard the previous evening. Here and there remained traces of the previous days’ tournament festivities, a streamer flapped gaily from a shop sign, and a banner

A middle aged guard pored over his slate tallying his figures, his large frayed eyebrows meeting in his frown of concentration. “Yes yes yes… he muttered to Annabella as she interrupted him, quickly jotting the total down before he forgot it.

“Now…” he turned to give her his attention, his penetrating eyes quickly assessing the girl, just as he had inspected thousands of others during his career at the gates.

“Put in a good word for me with Caesar Anochrim will you?” the slip of a girl had spunk, though he knew it was an outrageous lie, “now that’s mighty generous of you. But, first things first missy, state your name and origin,” his quill squeaked as he noted down her reason for being here.

Sitting atop the gates a dozen seagulls overlooked the bustle, their dark beady eyes missing nothing…

Return to “Outer Ring Archive”